TIAA Reviews | Glassdoor

TIAA President & CEO Roger Ferguson
Roger Ferguson

1,183 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company also has a wonderful "work/life balance" policy in place (in 112 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance and great benefits (in 141 reviews)

Cons
  • There are enough teams that are understaffed that complains about non-existing work-life balance are common (in 49 reviews)

• Senior management now cares more about growing the company than serving clients (in 39 reviews)

1. "Best place to be advisor"

Pros

Company has been growing business while doing it the right way. The news and negative comments are not substantiated in my opinion.

Cons

None other then typical struggles of working in the financial industry. Inaccurate information and bitter feelings of employees not successful should be researched before people follow it.

2. "Business Management Specialist"

Current Employee - Business Management Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Business Management Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work...amazing benefits, great job flexibility and movement. I’m in my 15th year and hope to stay 15 more.

Cons

Like anywhere else, there are too many layers of management in many areas, which leads to too many people being afraid to make a business decision without everyone on board. It would be nice to see “less talk, more do.”

Advice to Management

Trust your people, give them freedom in their job and flexibility in their lives.

3. "Manager"

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is challenging and always changing. Great team members and manager. Some of the best retirement benefits I have ever had.

Cons

We are always asked to do the right thing but we are unable to because of time, money, resources. Very, very frustrating.

Advice to Management

If employees are your most important resource - then show us every single day - not just once a year.

4. "GREAT"

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment
    Friendly people
    Amazing training provided as new hire

Cons

I personally did not have any.

Advice to Management

None

"Great cause, great benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with a very educated client segment that also shows a commitment to moving humanity forward. Excellent benefits, low pressure work environment, onsite cafeteria and coffee shops, amazing campus.

Cons

Personality-driven organization. Deeply rooted cronyism and silo-ism. More important to know the right people than know what you are doing. Heavy reliance on contract labor for subject-matter expertise. Obsession with education over experience and aptitude. Very hard to progress.

Advice to Management

Rotate your senior executives around lines of business to cut down on cronyism and narrow thinking. Hold the lines of business accountable for innovation and cooperation. Reduce your headcount by 10 to 15% or start insourcing more, there's not enough to do.

"Financial Consultant Position"

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Albany, NY

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are excellent and above average for this caliber of an organization. The culture is strict, but focuses goals and strategies around participant service rather than dollars and cents. flexibility to work remotely is available in this role.

Cons

Expect to travel often in this role if you are in Upstate NY. On average I spend 3 nights per week in hotels and approximately 15hours per week driving.

Advice to Management

Decentralize the organization and build out the type regional offices with employees from ALL departments. The disconnect between employees and the organizations culture is strong and can only be improved by bringing more of the departments together, literally...not on a flow chart.

"Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has some great products at below average cost compared to its peers. Salary is above average and bonus structure is good for those that can aggressively bring in assets from competitors. The clients are some of the most fascinating to work with as they are educators and doctors. The planning process and sales techniques are highly effective when used correctly .

Cons

Lots has started to change with TIAA since 2016. There is lots of check the boxes that will need to be complete. More than half the job will be pure administrative duties. There is one focus and that is to bring in new money and ever increasing goals. If you are looking for a 40 hr job this is not for you. Expect long hours and answering emails at night and through the weekends to be successful. Its impossible to use all of your vacation as the work does not stop when you are out of the office so its double time when you return. On Oct 21 2017 the New York Times wrote an article that revealed many of the practices with its advisors. The company reacted drastically to the article and hired attorneys to pursue employees making everyone fear for their jobs. There are currently over 90 open advisor jobs which is about 15% of all the positions as advisors. Many advisors are leaving due to the pressure and changing environment. Most clients have had 3-5 advisors service them which creates a lot of dissatisfaction with clients. It also makes finding new assets to meet goals nearly impossible. Don't provide your own thoughts or feedback to management or you will be managed out. You will see this in several other reviews as its true.

Advice to Management

Management is too scared to stand up for what is right for the clients and its employees. Until someone is willing to make a stand for the right decisions attrition will continue to increase and employee satisfaction will continue to go down.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of benefits. From paying to workout and to volunteer. Great work life balance. Things are changing a bit due to the mergers however

Cons

Don’t loose the culture due to the merger. But other than that cannot think of a negative for this company.

9. "Sr Finance Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great work life balance, great work-from-home policy

Cons

Horrible Managers, too many re-orgs, too many lay-offs

Advice to Management

Stop re-orging every couple months and stop laying people off for no good reason.

10. "Laid-off but did not sign the severance package worth $20,000"

I worked at TIAA full-time

Pros

Just like other financial companies, there is a pension plan but you can't take lump sum especially on a hardship withdrawal after getting laid off.

Cons

I worked for TIAA close to 9 years and 3 years was working from home but I was never given an office furniture like office desk and chair. I was working from home using my dining table, dining chair, using my own electricity and personal cell phone and never got reimbursed. I developed chronic lower back pain musculoskeletal disorder due to awkward postures and not having a proper office equipment. I have to get cortisone injections for my back for the pain and never get reimbursed for that.

TIAA also declined my workman's compensation claim for the back pain and instead blamed it on my health activities like playing basketball. They spent a lot of money paying their lawyers than helping their hard-working employees get compensated. They also scheduled a meeting during my lunch hours and what is convenient for them not caring if it is your lunch break and never paid me for overtime. I have to take premature distributions from my retirement pension and pay 10% IRS penalty when I was laid off. I have bonus owed me but since I did not sign the severance package. TIAA kept it.

Advice to Management

Stop paying the Management, board directors and other board members hundred and thousands of dollars rewards and bonuses if TIAA is getting sued and lawsuits. That means that they haven't done a good job.

Showing 1,183 of 1,280 reviews