TIAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TIAA Interview Questions

Interviews at TIAA

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

The interview process for TIAA was like any other company. A phone call first and then a video call. It was very thorough and quick. I enjoyed speaking with the managers and learning more about their company.

Technology Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

Recruiter reached out in somewhere around March, got the offer within 2 weeks after initial interview. Heard back again by May with more details about the job and department I was going to be a part of. Iterview process was pretty smooth, no complaints.

Associate Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

The interview style is very conversational with many opportunities to speak with members of the highly experienced hiring team (recruiter, associates, manager, director). Communication about your personal expectations and goals is key since TIAA wants to ensure its a long term fit. That should go both ways.

IT Technical Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

Phone Screen which was mainly behavioral. Self-guided interview that focused on knowledge of coding and technical analysis. WebEx Interview which was more behavioral questions based on resume. Process was relatively short.

The phone and webex interviews were amazing windows to get to know more about the companies values and how well they treat employees.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (New York, NY) in February 2020.

Interview

I cold applied to TIAA via their website cause my friend had gotten a offer from them and told me they had a good reputation as a financial services firm. I was genuinely interested and eventually went through two rounds of interviews with them for a summer internship in Charlotte for their Risk Management division. The HR representative was awesome, she kept me up to date and was always available for help if needed. Interview was virtually, I was in LA and the hiring manager was in NYC at their headquarters and it lasted for about an hour and went very smoothly. Obviously, as a large institutional firm they want educated and qualified people but they were more curious about my coursework, activities at school and personal interest. Also they want to know WHY you are interested in finance and TIAA. Nonetheless, interview process went well and I spoke to a manager at the Charlotte office about his interest in having me on his team in the analytics department for the Bank. I got an offer and accepted it and they've treated me very well.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to major in _____________? And what coursework that you've taken is relevant to this position?   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to apply and why are you interested in TIAA?   Answer Question
    • Tell how your previous work experience can contribute to our firm?   Answer Question

Senior Desktop Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA in February 2020.

Interview

Went through initial screening with the HR recruiter, Had a second interview with the I.T. supervisor, had another interview with two senior engineers. One of the interviewers liked my experience & the other didn't seem sold. I have over 20 years of I.T. experience.

Interview Questions

• Basically just an informal technical talk over what I did in the past, in all interviews, not a question and answer type interview. One of the Senior Engineers kept asking the same question even though I had answered him several times English wasn't his first language, which could be part of the issue. I tried to follow up and HR would not answer my e-mail, a common business courtesy e-mail for candidates who interview would be nice, it could be automated even, it kind of reflects poorly on how a company treats employee's and does business, when they can't even respond to a simple e-mail to let you know the status. I doubt at this point that I'll hear anything back.   Answer Question

Lead Cloud Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Charlotte, NC) in November 2019.

Interview

Interview consisted of a phone screen by recruiter easy enough. Then a phone call with the hiring manager that was simple and easy. There was a panel interview with the hiring manager and the cloud engineering team. Then an on-site interview with the Director of the department. All in all took about 3-4 weeks.

All in all I enjoyed the talks I had with the team, the hiring manager and the director it was the recruiter who really turned me off from the position and the company as a whole. The recruiter presented me with an offer that I felt was little low about $5k low to be exact. Now this is nothing out of the ordinary. I have had companies offer below desirable salaries before this is nothing new. I have pushed $10k and gotten it. It's all part of the process. Sometimes it's yes. Sometimes it's no, we're at our ceiling for this role. They'll ask if that will be ok. If so you accept if not you decline you move on. So I'm thinking let's negotiate. I asked the recruiter if it would be possible to push to an increase of $5k. This would bring them inline with the other offers I received. This is where it took a drastic turn. The recruiter began to tell me about what I lacked and that I was missing this and that that the rest of the team had. From what I could tell and was repeatedly told was the team was fairly new to the cloud. I had been launching Cloud Infrastructure for nearly 4-5yrs, total IT experience around 15yrs, from the ground up and then also launching apps on said infrastructure. I have done this in multiple cloud providers. So I was taken aback when she tried to convince me of how unqualified I was for this position. Her attitude was extremely off-putting. After her a few minutes of her bashing, she told me she was go have the necessary conversations to see what could be done. I thanked her and awaited her return call. About 2 days later she calls to say they couldn't go any higher and I said ok. She told me that she was send out the offer letter and that I had three days to decide whether or not I would accept. I said thats fine and awaited the email which never came. The next day she calls me to say because I declined the initial offer that they would be rescinding their offer all together . That was a new thing for me. It would seem that TIAA does not allow negotiation of salary. Almost seems like it was done out of spite, just to be petty. Sort of like "I'm going to dump you before you get a chance to dump me" attitude.

Needless to say the negotiation phase needs some work.

Interview Questions

• Nothing you couldn't answer if you spent 6 months working in the Cloud. Also my background in building entire Cloud systems from the ground up and migrating from on-prem sites to multiple cloud vendors was probably overkill for the level of questioning.

Spend 6 months in AWS alone and you'll be able to handle any questions thrown at you   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA in November 2019.

Interview

Behavioral; wanted to know more about me and my experience
    The very nice interviewer got more into the program and answered all questions while keeping a conversation. Didn't feel stressed or forced

Interview Questions

• How would you present information to different audiences?   Answer Question

Technology Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TIAA in November 2019.

Interview

Recruiter reached out through campus recruiting platform. After submitting resume there were two video interviews, one recorded and one live. They both asked general questions about my resume and prior experiences.

Summer Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Charlotte, NC) in November 2019.

Interview

Very nice, done through webex and video interview prior. Very professional, little technical questions asked. It was a relatively easy interview, make sure to know about all the little details on your resume.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had to give the same presentation to two different groups?   Answer Question
    • What is one-time technology that failed you?   Answer Question