TechSmith Reviews

3.6
TechSmith CEO Wendy Hamilton
Wendy Hamilton
Pros
Cons
  • "Seems to be little focus on anything that isn't Snagit or Camtasia(in 4 reviews)

• "In general, the decision making process seems to be very slow, and sadly you can see those effects in their current and future business(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Mid-Size Tech Company"

Current Employee - Management

I have been working at TechSmith full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-High empowerment culture -Employee first mentality - lots of perks, leaders care about employee happiness -Exposure to lots of different functions - shadowing, transparency -Mostly a "promote from within" high support culture, lots of opportunity for development for entry level employees -Established 'stable' growing company, but still chance for new innovative work -Better than average compensation and bonus programs in the local area

Cons

-Facility is older, not a 'tech building' -Not a lot of management/senior leadership turnover so not a lot of opportunities to progress to a senior position -Mid-Michigan location isn't for everyone -Neither a big company nor a startup - so no full advantages of either

TechSmith2019-08-23

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at TechSmith full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very fun place to work, company cares about the employees. Ability to collaborate across the entire company and present ideas to leadership that listens. Truly a customer first focus.

Cons

None come to mind at this time

TechSmith2019-08-21
  3. "Great Culture - No Future"

Former Employee - Engineer in Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture and People you work with are amazing. Good introductory shop for Software Engineers

Cons

No real new products in a while and the pay there is well below market. My guess is that they will continue to milk customers for new versions of SnagIt and Camatasia that offer no real benefit for as long as they can and then fold.

TechSmith2019-10-31

December 11, 2019CEO

First thanks for recognizing our great culture, and great opportunity for entry level engineers. But, wow, I'm not sure how long ago you left but don't feel the rest is an accurate representation of TechSmith currently. We've launched two new cloud products in last couple years, now with millions of growing reocurring revenue outside of our core desktop products and another new product launching next year. But new products are not even necessary to grow when you are in a good market. Digital media tools, video, and self-serve education and training are some of the best markets to be in at moment. The innovation the teams are doing with Snagit and Camtasia is fantastic, simply remarkable, and our customers love what we are doing based on independent web reviews you can see right on our website, as well as our highest in industry NPS scores. I'm really proud of what our engineers have accomplished in evolving these products in the fast moving world of digital media technology. And these are the best customers in the world - all of the fortune 500, all the top higher ed in the US, with rapid growth globally. We also take care of our employees and genuinely care about their well-being - free healthcare, profit sharing bonuses, and new perks regularly added. Further, we regularly market check compensation benchmarks and make market adjustments, and know we are above average generally. Perhaps there was a dispute about your pay, sometimes that happens and it's unfortunate if we couldn't resolve it. I apologize if that left you frustrated, but it's not a common incident for us in general. I hope you have landed well and are happy now.

"I wish I left sooner"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Payday comes regularly. Free parking.

Cons

It took me a long time to not be so steeped in fury thinking about my experience here that it wouldn't ruin my day while writing a review and as a result have put off writing a review until I reached such a time. A very toxic environment. It seemed like almost everyone I talked to hated the company and bonded over that sentiment, yet no one would do anything about it. People seemed to lack ambition to go elsewhere and instead would stay because it's very easy to be a poor performer and keep your job, creating a very poor working environment. It will affect your personal life. Management was extremely poor. Performance reviews seemed to just be made up and not based on anything at all. I rarely met with my manager to discuss any feedback (given or received). Some people got raises and bonuses, some didn't and it didn't seem to be who you would think based on effort and hard work. There seemed to be a lot of favoritism and cliques there. Some development teams didn't seem to give any priority to maintainability and the code and velocity always suffered. There's a reason so many products get delayed. Product innovation seems to be based on the whims of whoever is in charge, without any due diligence into viability - very much as 'if you build it they will come' mentality, yet 'they' would never come and the project would get shut down. Developers often treated as cogs in a machine that can be moved around at will. If you push back on anything that management has decided is the way of the future, you will get no where. You'll continue to do that thing no matter how awful an idea and how understaffed the team is until it bleeds into your personal life wreaking havoc on your relationships. If a product owner got moved from the team they wanted, it is going to be taken out on you if they're now leading your team. I was sold on a number of things about the company when I hired in and most were not true or were already obvious to an outsider. Free snacks are great, but it's not really a selling point. Bonuses are a selling point, but were rare and when they did the announcement would be along the lines of 'you didn't earn it, but we felt like we had to for morale' and it would be so low that it was essentially a slap in the face.

TechSmith2019-08-13

August 23, 2019CEO

As much as it pains me to hear about such a negative experience, I appreciate that you left open the possibility that things have improved since you left (3-4 years ago). Tech companies, in particular, need employees who are open to changing their minds. I'd like to share some of the results of our last employee engagement survey: • 97% of employees would recommend TechSmith as a good place to work to family and friends. • 94% of employees agree that Senior Leaders create a positive work culture • 97% employees feel TechSmith supports their need to create work/life balance • 96% of employee agree their manager or team lead values their talents and contributions We have a new CTO since you left, who has worked with the department to bring many process, career and organizational improvements, including the engineering lead roles you describe. We also have been profitable and paid out bonuses over past few years and are having double digit growth this year. We still have room to improve. Our entire organization - all levels - works together to make TechSmith a great place to work. No one would fault you for leaving given how you felt at the time. But if you are open to changing your mind, check back with some of your contacts here and see what they think. Wendy Hamilton CEO

5. "Great environment"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Career growth, perks, bonuses, activities and trips, conferences, free meals on fridays, free snacks and pop. Great fun culture.

Cons

Employees would usually need relocating. The campus is an very odd location in a small town most people don't know about.

TechSmith2018-10-24

April 9, 2019CEO

Thanks for your review. We do care about having an enjoyable work environment - we all spend too much time of our life at work to not love it. And you are correct about the odd location. The Midwest is an unusual location for commercial software companies to begin with, and I believe we are one of the few headquartered in Michigan, let alone mid-Michigan. https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterandrewwilkins/2019/01/24/the-top-enterprise-software-companies-in-the-midwest/#484dda2f69e4 FYI we do have three mobile apps that compliment our core products https://www.techsmith.com/mobile-apps.html including the leading screen recorder on IOS, as well as a fourth paid app that was an employee innovation https://www.coachseye.com/.

6. "UX Designer Intern"

I worked at TechSmith

Pros

As an Intern wanting to learn as much as possible, the people are welcoming, and push you to do great! You really are treated like a full time employee which goes along way for an Intern.

Cons

No cons. I wish they had a cold brew machine!

TechSmith2018-09-17

April 9, 2019CEO

Thanks for the review, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your internship. We are unusual in our internship program in that interns work side by side our full time employees doing the same work full time employees do. I don't know much about coffee, it wouldn't surprise me if we needed to expand based on demand, but the Starbucks machine seems very popular.

"Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great Team Leaders - I feel supported by my team to attend conferences and tech events - One of the values that I am most proud of TechSmith is: Everyone is treated as an equal - Engineering Feedback to Business are valued - On top of PTO we have sick day - Working from home at times/when needed is possible - High Trust Environment - one of my favorite thing about TechSmith as well - TechSmith also organizes several family event throughout the year - Friday Lunch

Cons

- I wish there was more pair programming - At times there are redundant meetings

TechSmith2018-08-23

April 9, 2019CEO

Thanks for your review - it's always great to hear from new employees. Please keep pushing back on meetings, don't give up! Sometimes we get carried away to support our value of inclusiveness. The funny thing about it is that our own technology often helps customers have fewer meetings.

"Amazing company, Sales needs work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time for more than a year

Pros

Techsmith is THE best company I have ever worked for. They are very classy and put employees and customers first. Sometimes it even hurts the company. Benefits are crazy good - but getting worse (insurance premiums rising) You work with the best, smartest, most fun people in the area. The work is fun, and the products are loved by our customers. Lots of free food, free pop, and no dress code. Fairly laid back and family friendly work environment in terms of workload. The work life balance is crazy good. Best culture I have ever been involved with. The company cares so much about its employees that it is crazy. HR team is very sincere and does everything they can to make sure employees are taken care of appropriately. Training is unreal as well. Sales people are given regular Sandler training. This job will make you the best salesperson that you could possibly. Probably over training. The manager for the sales team is also very very good. Smart, sales oriented, and wants his people to win. Best manager I have worked for. He's also understanding of life events and willing to put in time with you if you need help. The sales org needs some work but the pro is I think they are trying to change things. CEO is smart, nice, friendly and actually accessible. Leadership team in general is great. I really can't understate how amazing this company is. Any employee is privileged to work here. If you get an offer - TAKE IT!

Cons

The sales team is evolving and changing, and as of Q2 2018 it isn't where it should be. Salaries are ok but commissions are embarrassing. Senior leadership thinks the salaries should be enough. Commission structure is also designed to pay out less and less every year. It is based on a growth model. So if you have a great quarter and add 50% to your number, you wont get paid even one cent in commission next year if you hit the same number again. It is an extremely aggressive compounding growth commission model that is very unrealistic. No sales person/company can expect double digit growth every single year. At least not a company that has been around for 30 years. Hopefully this will change. The good sales people are leaving. The titles also aren't the most accurate. Yes - the team is inside. But there is not an outside team they are supporting. The inside team is hunting and closing large enterprise level deals and not getting paid on it either due to low caps or extremely high comparables from last year. Sales focus is on resellers. If resellers are the focus, then where does that leave the internal sales team? Something to really think about.... As Microsoft improves on the snipping tool, more and more accounts are dropping Snagit. My fear is that one recession or market drop would cause companies to stop their renewal of Snagit as a luxury alternative to snipping tool. Thankfully, customers REALLY like Snagit and get mad if IT takes it away. But how long will this last?

TechSmith2018-06-22

April 9, 2019CEO

I'm a little late to respond to this review. First thanks for all the positives. As you know a lot has happened with regard to sales org, career ladder and comp since this was written. I would agree that on some level we are providing more investment in sales training than truly needed today. This is a strategic decision - we are aiming to build a stronger sales capability for TechSmith long term. We do have to rely on channel resellers to serve customer-driven requests due to the number of countries we sell (over 160) and the sheer number of customers we have (millions of renewed seats, all large global companies and thousands of SMEs). But, generally, resellers do not help us execute our strategy let alone set sales strategy, and they rarely do proactive sales alone - we need our own sales to do all this. As you've likely noticed we are increasingly in a position to achieve larger deal sizes, and we are building out our cloud portfolio with what will become many more opportunities to do this in the next couple years - and our sales will lead the way. We also restructured the career ladder and compensation in sales at the end of 2018. I believe our team feels well compensated now. But I want to go on record for those considering working at TechSmith to say that we are not a competitive individual commission culture. We are a customer-service first, integrity-first, team-supportive culture. We believe in compensating above industry average, and we believe in sharing corporate profits back with employees, and commissions have a place, BUT if personal monetary reward via individual commission structure is what primarily motivates you then TechSmith may not be the right fit. What we look for in hires are those who are genuinely passionate about seeing customers succeed long term, about 100% transparency and integrity in all deal strategies, about achieving team/company goals, and about growing personal mastery of sales and leadership skills. Commissions will always take a second chair to those priorities.

9. "Excellent Company!"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

The company really cares about employees, work/life balance, and autonomy.

Cons

Nothing really negative worth mentioning here.

TechSmith2018-06-14

"Great place to work"

4.0

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Enjoyable coworkers, nice area, and flexible hours.]

Cons

Seems to be little focus on anything that isn't Snagit or Camtasia

TechSmith2018-03-29

April 11, 2019CEO

Thank you for your review. Snagit and Camtasia are the very large majority of our customer base, and as a customer-focused company this means that they get a lot of visible attention, and a big share of the customer-facing resource. However, from an engineering investment standpoint just as much focus is being put on new products including two new products released over the last year or so, and a third new product moving to beta this year. But I agree with you that we aren't communicating as well about all these new developments and all the wins we are having with them. We can do better here - thanks for the feedback.

Found 58 reviews