TechSmith Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
TechSmith CEO Wendy Hamilton
Wendy Hamilton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is really good" (in 10 reviews)

• "The company is a great place to work, colleagues are exceptional, and opportunities are endless" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes it seems that middle management doesn't listen to feedback from the engineering staff" (in 4 reviews)

• "Seems to be little focus on anything that isn't Snagit or Camtasia" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Excellent Company!"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

The company really cares about employees, work/life balance, and autonomy.

Cons

Nothing really negative worth mentioning here.

"Amazing company, Sales needs work"

Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Techsmith is THE best company I have ever worked for. They are very classy and put employees and customers first. Sometimes it even hurts the company.
    Benefits are crazy good - but getting worse (insurance premiums rising)

You work with the best, smartest, most fun people in the area. The work is fun, and the products are loved by our customers. Lots of free food, free pop, and no dress code. Fairly laid back and family friendly work environment in terms of workload. The work life balance is crazy good.

Best culture I have ever been involved with. The company cares so much about its employees that it is crazy. HR team is very sincere and does everything they can to make sure employees are taken care of appropriately.

Training is unreal as well. Sales people are given regular Sandler training. This job will make you the best salesperson that you could possibly. Probably over training.

The manager for the sales team is also very very good. Smart, sales oriented, and wants his people to win. Best manager I have worked for. He's also understanding of life events and willing to put in time with you if you need help.

The sales org needs some work but the pro is I think they are trying to change things.

CEO is smart, nice, friendly and actually accessible. Leadership team in general is great.

I really can't understate how amazing this company is. Any employee is privileged to work here. If you get an offer - TAKE IT!

Cons

The sales team is evolving and changing, and as of Q2 2018 it isn't where it should be.
    Salaries are ok but commissions are embarrassing. Senior leadership thinks the salaries should be enough. Commission structure is also designed to pay out less and less every year. It is based on a growth model. So if you have a great quarter and add 50% to your number, you wont get paid even one cent in commission next year if you hit the same number again. It is an extremely aggressive compounding growth commission model that is very unrealistic. No sales person/company can expect double digit growth every single year. At least not a company that has been around for 30 years. Hopefully this will change. The good sales people are leaving.

The titles also aren't the most accurate. Yes - the team is inside. But there is not an outside team they are supporting. The inside team is hunting and closing large enterprise level deals and not getting paid on it either due to low caps or extremely high comparables from last year.

Sales focus is on resellers. If resellers are the focus, then where does that leave the internal sales team? Something to really think about....

As Microsoft improves on the snipping tool, more and more accounts are dropping Snagit. My fear is that one recession or market drop would cause companies to stop their renewal of Snagit as a luxury alternative to snipping tool. Thankfully, customers REALLY like Snagit and get mad if IT takes it away. But how long will this last?

Advice to Management

Innovate FAST. Keep these products at the absolute top of the heap. Freeware is catching up.
    Incentivise sales people, or take away the pressure to close large enterprise level deals. Currently the sales team is getting trained at Techsmith to be a high performer at their next job - which will likely be well over 6 figures. If sales strategy is to rely on resellers instead of focusing on skilled internal people, then get used to people leaving. Maybe that is part of the plan already...

"Great place to work"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Enjoyable coworkers, nice area, and flexible hours.]

Cons

Seems to be little focus on anything that isn't Snagit or Camtasia

Advice to Management

If you're still working on the big 3, don't forget about every other project.

"A nice place to work, with a lot of problems"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Like most have said - good benefits, good work/life balance, reasonably high compensation (for the midwest). You get to work on real products that millions of people use.

Cons

While I'm giving TechSmith a generally positive review, I think there are a lot of cons and gotchas when working here, speaking as a developer.

Like many orgs, TechSmith tends to do a very poor job evaluating employees, and recognizing consistent talent and hard work. In my case, this has led to some bitterness at times. For instance, in a past year, there was a very large, very selective bonus given out to select employees, to be picked by managers. When I calmly but firmly asked my manager why I didn't receive one of these, and what I could do in the future to receive one, I was given an answer along the lines of "You did great this year, but I dunno, it was a hard decision, I just had to pick someone". This is crushing to morale, and all too representative of how performance is normally evaluated. There were weeks when I worked 50+ hours tackling hard problems while some coworkers worked 30 while skating by, and nobody seemed to notice or care. There's been a recent development of a "career development guide" for systematically getting feedback from your peers, and while I think this is a step in the right direction, I'm not sure if this solves most of my complaints. Managers should be able to give direct, candid performance feedback, and draw clear lines between performance and compensation, but this seems to happen rarely at TechSmith. For the past few months or so, there have been "employee recognitions" every monday by the CEO, and while I appreciate the sentiment, they are very spotty and, in my experience, not always representative of the daily, consistent hard work of employees that care about doing their best.

Along those lines, engineers that are recognized one way or another as higher performers are pushed into roles/positions, often with misleading titles and explanations, and pressed more and more til some of them burn out. New roles come with a pile of nebulous ever-changing responsibility, with no clear guidance on how to perform well in them, and no clear feedback on whether or not that's being accomplished. And of course, you may be expected to operate in this new high-stress role for years without any actual promotion, because roles aren't positions, and you should just be thankful for the opportunity to be more involved.

Every 3-6 months, there's "The New Thing” in the organization that's gonna fix the problems with "The Last Thing". Whether it's management structure, development processes, engineering priorities, or team organization, you can be sure there will be some sort of radical shift in the organization every few months. Mid-upper level managers tout this as "trying to continuously improve", which sounds noble at first, but eventually starts to sound more and more like a hollow excuse. There's rarely any real acknowledgement that the last thing failed or what we learned from it, just a sudden shift to the new thing to fix all our problems. As one coworker put it, this leads to "re-org fatigue". Ideas and philosophies that were touted as indisputable fact 3 months ago are scoffed at, only to be reinvigorated in another 3 months. Engineering teams experience constant whiplash (and, yes, fatigue) as they try to maintain stable norms and processes so they can get work done, while trying to stay afloat in the constant churn. Despite the often-parroted line about nothing being beyond question, if you question The Latest Thing in any more than a superficial way, you risk being labeled disruptive. Our latest New Thing, combined with an inconsistently zealous application of Scrum, leaves some engineers feeling micromanaged or burnt out on process.

Innovation has somewhat stagnated. We work in an area where our customers expect a lot, and more and more advanced features are simply table stakes. While TechSmith used to be a leader in innovating, it feels more and more like we are trying to keep up. This worries me about the future of the company.

On the positive side, I think some of the above things are being tangibly addressed by the new CEO and new upper-level management, but only to some extent.

A coworker recently mentioned Conway's Law, which basically says that organizations tend to produce software that reflects the organization itself. I think that's true of TechSmith - friendly, polished, and even sometimes delightful on the surface, but chaotic and problematic beneath.

Advice to Management

Please read what I wrote above

"Fantastic Overall"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TechSmith is a really great place to work. There are a lot of really smart, experienced, and helpful people who have helped me learn an incredible amount about software development. I've grown from a college grad who didn't even have a CS degree to someone who can build and ship complication solutions on my own. The work I do day-to-day is almost always really fun and interesting, and I have a decent amount of freedom as to what I work on.

The work/life balance is really good. I'm able to pick my hours for the most part and take days off with little notice if I need to deal with something outside of work.

My coworkers are really fun to work with. At lunch we often play video games together. We also have company-sponsored events once or twice a month that are usually really fun (and always have great food).

I look forward to going to work every day, and I can see myself working here for many years to come.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that middle management doesn't listen to feedback from the engineering staff. Maybe they know something we don't, but they don't do a great job of communicating that to us when our feedback is seemingly ignored.

Advice to Management

When we give you feedback and you act on it, you're great at being open about the changes that you'll make, that's really great. The thing that needs work is when we give feedback that's (from our perspective) completely ignored, communicate why. We never know if our voices have been heard, ignored, or that's something actually in progress.

"This is the company I've been looking for my whole career"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are the tangible things like free snacks, free soda, monthly company-wide happy hour, good pay, good benefits, etc., but the real value of working for TechSmith comes in the culture and the people. You may see from older less-than-stellar reviews from years past, but I can assure you that those days are long gone.

The management team is highly motivated to engage and listen to employees at all levels. Teams are collaborative and everyone is accountable for the success of the company, but not at the expense of personal time and work/life balance. We are encouraged to take time off to recharge and refocus our energy. That accountability is accompanied by a shared feeling of ownership wherein we all feel a responsibility (in the best sense of the word) to do the best work we can to ensure we're all more successful. We are empowered to think differently and have a voice in the way things develop.

Cons

Despite some incredibly liberal policies regarding attendance, dress code, etc., management hasn't yet embraced the idea of more flexible work schedules. I would love the opportunity to work four 10-hour days with Fridays off, for example.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Quality assurance"

I worked at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Overall a great place to work. Plenty of opportunities to move up, as well as a very solid work- life balance.

Cons

The area isn't known for terribly high salaries

"TechSmith is on the Road to Recovery"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible environment
    Great employees
    Ability to make change
    Fun place to work
    Casual environment
    Excellent benefits

TechSmith, like every other company in existence, is not perfect. We are in the midst of a lot of change, and that scares some people. It is crucial that we make these changes, though, to be relevant and successful in the future. With any flux, people will jump ship or be pushed out. Based on a lot of the recent reviews, there's a lot of bitterness, but I'm willing to bet a lot of these people have little to no experience working at another company. They need a good dose of the real world. I've worked at another company, and I can say that moving to TechSmith was the best decision I've ever made. I love going to work every day, and I also understand that it's up to me to control my future here. Our CEO is excellent, and has a lot of critical business experience that we need. She is making the necessary, hard decisions that will propel us forward.

Cons

There are still some employees who are fighting the necessary changes that must take place for us to be a better organization. It is frustrating to see these people "poison the well," so to speak.

Advice to Management

Look out for those negative people who are stirring the pot. They need to go.

"Don’t be fooled…"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Free beverages and snacks, casual attire, flexible scheduling and lots of company sponsored events.

Cons

On the surface, TechSmith looks like a great company. They advertise an open, collaborative, and innovative environment where you can be excited to come into work every day. They say that they put their people and customers first providing the highest quality support in the industry. For many years that was true. However, sadly the culture and focus has been rapidly changing over the past 8 months and a lot of very talented people are leaving. It is now an organization where bottom line is number one, period.
    The executive and senior leadership team talks a great game and you’ll find yourself nodding in agreement believing every word when they give updates in companywide forums. However, when you meet with them one on one, or talk to the people who are working directly on the projects it is another story. There is an open-door policy and you are encouraged to make suggestions and foster healthy conflict. However, if your thinking is too far from their vision you will at best be ignored at worst be belittled and subjected to further scrutiny. People who were once very passionate, vocal and innovative have started shutting down. It’s a complicated game that you can’t win. If you keep head down and focus on your job you are punished for not being an engaging and innovative team player. If you engage in a lot of meetings and discussion you are punished for not producing numbers.
    Very clear favoritism is given to good self-promoters. Individuals who spend a lot of time on experimental projects, grossly inflate their success and then spend more time discussing and promoting the project than actually working on it are favored over those who try to balance current responsibilities and dabble in experimental projects. Collaboration between teams and departments has been weak for years which makes it very easy to point fingers and lay blame elsewhere when a product or project doesn’t perform.
    A great example of the Jekyll and Hyde personality is the new CEO. While there is no doubt she is intelligent and experienced in many areas her communication skills are off-putting. When speaking in large groups she tries too hard to be likable and comes off as almost ditzy. In smaller groups and one on one she is often extremely narrow focused demanding and aggressive.
    The culture is reminiscent of a small town high school. For the most part everyone knows everyone and seems to get along well. However, gossip and slander runs rampant and is often taken as truth without verification. The circle of trust is growing smaller and smaller every day and people you thought were allies will stab you in the back if given the chance to make them look better. Casual hook ups and relationships among employees are common and not discouraged unless they are direct reports. This can make it very uncomfortable for coworkers once the relationship fizzles out. Rumors are that there have been harassment dismissals and restraining orders in the past few years but of course none of that can be confirmed. As a whole, I think there are a lot of good people but the environment and situations they have been put in make them want to fend for themselves instead of work together.
    You will be required to learn and work with several different systems to do your job (20+) with very little formal training. Most of which are antiquated, underused or so customized it is difficult for the manufactures to support. The front-line staff is often asked “You are a tech company; how can you not provide X information or service?” It is quite embarrassing. Several system reviews to update and consolidate systems have occurred during my time but rarely result in anything. Recently there was an outside consultant in for several days to map the systems and I believe that project is underway but I imagine it will be years before anything changes.
    Great award winning products but their future is questionable. Snagit is a fantastic product but will likely become obsolete very soon as free products are improving and organizations are tightening their budgets. Relay has hemorrhaged money from the company for years. At one point it was going to be killed but now it is being revitalized. I have hopes for it but it is a saturated and fast moving market and our products have been behind from the start. Coach’s Eye was high performing in its market but could not generating revenue. Morae is dying a slow death. The only hope is in Camtasia and moving to SaaS. However, TechSmith has and will likely continue to struggle to support SaaS.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

TechSmith Response

Dec 15, 2016 – CEO

I think I understand what you went through – it’s really tough to feel like fewer coworkers especially fewer executives have your back, or who know you well enough to prioritize what you say. I’ve... More

"A Fresh New Outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TechSmith is truly a company that values its employees, supports their goals and values their ideas. Recent changes in senior leadership have brought fresh perspectives on products and services and have been slowing bringing fresh air into a culture that had become a bit stale.

Cons

A lot of change is happening, in leadership and in the day-to-day organization of work.This can cause a lot of disruption.

Advice to Management

We need a stronger focus on product quality throughout the entire development life-cycle, not just in the final stretch.
    Keep redistributing individual producers with fresh perspectives to new teams.
    Push teams to be more open to criticism of the products they build.
    Provide teams more details on on the market value of the things they are doing.

TechSmith Response

Oct 26, 2016 – New Media Recruiter

Thank you very much for your feedback and thoughts! Employee perspective is extremely helpful to us as we are going through these changes. Please reach out to your manager or team lead with any ideas... More