TechSmith Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
TechSmith CEO Wendy Hamilton
Wendy Hamilton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Plenty of opportunities to move up, as well as a very solid work- life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits, relaxed culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • On the surface, TechSmith looks like a great company (in 2 reviews)

• High performers get more and more work and get burned out (in 2 reviews)

"Quality assurance"

I worked at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Overall a great place to work. Plenty of opportunities to move up, as well as a very solid work- life balance.

Cons

The area isn't known for terribly high salaries

"TechSmith is on the Road to Recovery"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible environment
    Great employees
    Ability to make change
    Fun place to work
    Casual environment
    Excellent benefits

TechSmith, like every other company in existence, is not perfect. We are in the midst of a lot of change, and that scares some people. It is crucial that we make these changes, though, to be relevant and successful in the future. With any flux, people will jump ship or be pushed out. Based on a lot of the recent reviews, there's a lot of bitterness, but I'm willing to bet a lot of these people have little to no experience working at another company. They need a good dose of the real world. I've worked at another company, and I can say that moving to TechSmith was the best decision I've ever made. I love going to work every day, and I also understand that it's up to me to control my future here. Our CEO is excellent, and has a lot of critical business experience that we need. She is making the necessary, hard decisions that will propel us forward.

Cons

There are still some employees who are fighting the necessary changes that must take place for us to be a better organization. It is frustrating to see these people "poison the well," so to speak.

Advice to Management

Look out for those negative people who are stirring the pot. They need to go.

"Don’t be fooled…"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Free beverages and snacks, casual attire, flexible scheduling and lots of company sponsored events.

Cons

On the surface, TechSmith looks like a great company. They advertise an open, collaborative, and innovative environment where you can be excited to come into work every day. They say that they put their people and customers first providing the highest quality support in the industry. For many years that was true. However, sadly the culture and focus has been rapidly changing over the past 8 months and a lot of very talented people are leaving. It is now an organization where bottom line is number one, period.
    The executive and senior leadership team talks a great game and you’ll find yourself nodding in agreement believing every word when they give updates in companywide forums. However, when you meet with them one on one, or talk to the people who are working directly on the projects it is another story. There is an open-door policy and you are encouraged to make suggestions and foster healthy conflict. However, if your thinking is too far from their vision you will at best be ignored at worst be belittled and subjected to further scrutiny. People who were once very passionate, vocal and innovative have started shutting down. It’s a complicated game that you can’t win. If you keep head down and focus on your job you are punished for not being an engaging and innovative team player. If you engage in a lot of meetings and discussion you are punished for not producing numbers.
    Very clear favoritism is given to good self-promoters. Individuals who spend a lot of time on experimental projects, grossly inflate their success and then spend more time discussing and promoting the project than actually working on it are favored over those who try to balance current responsibilities and dabble in experimental projects. Collaboration between teams and departments has been weak for years which makes it very easy to point fingers and lay blame elsewhere when a product or project doesn’t perform.
    A great example of the Jekyll and Hyde personality is the new CEO. While there is no doubt she is intelligent and experienced in many areas her communication skills are off-putting. When speaking in large groups she tries too hard to be likable and comes off as almost ditzy. In smaller groups and one on one she is often extremely narrow focused demanding and aggressive.
    The culture is reminiscent of a small town high school. For the most part everyone knows everyone and seems to get along well. However, gossip and slander runs rampant and is often taken as truth without verification. The circle of trust is growing smaller and smaller every day and people you thought were allies will stab you in the back if given the chance to make them look better. Casual hook ups and relationships among employees are common and not discouraged unless they are direct reports. This can make it very uncomfortable for coworkers once the relationship fizzles out. Rumors are that there have been harassment dismissals and restraining orders in the past few years but of course none of that can be confirmed. As a whole, I think there are a lot of good people but the environment and situations they have been put in make them want to fend for themselves instead of work together.
    You will be required to learn and work with several different systems to do your job (20+) with very little formal training. Most of which are antiquated, underused or so customized it is difficult for the manufactures to support. The front-line staff is often asked “You are a tech company; how can you not provide X information or service?” It is quite embarrassing. Several system reviews to update and consolidate systems have occurred during my time but rarely result in anything. Recently there was an outside consultant in for several days to map the systems and I believe that project is underway but I imagine it will be years before anything changes.
    Great award winning products but their future is questionable. Snagit is a fantastic product but will likely become obsolete very soon as free products are improving and organizations are tightening their budgets. Relay has hemorrhaged money from the company for years. At one point it was going to be killed but now it is being revitalized. I have hopes for it but it is a saturated and fast moving market and our products have been behind from the start. Coach’s Eye was high performing in its market but could not generating revenue. Morae is dying a slow death. The only hope is in Camtasia and moving to SaaS. However, TechSmith has and will likely continue to struggle to support SaaS.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

Dec 15, 2016 – CEO

I think I understand what you went through – it’s really tough to feel like fewer coworkers especially fewer executives have your back, or who know you well enough to prioritize what you say. I’ve... More

"A Fresh New Outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TechSmith is truly a company that values its employees, supports their goals and values their ideas. Recent changes in senior leadership have brought fresh perspectives on products and services and have been slowing bringing fresh air into a culture that had become a bit stale.

Cons

A lot of change is happening, in leadership and in the day-to-day organization of work.This can cause a lot of disruption.

Advice to Management

We need a stronger focus on product quality throughout the entire development life-cycle, not just in the final stretch.
    Keep redistributing individual producers with fresh perspectives to new teams.
    Push teams to be more open to criticism of the products they build.
    Provide teams more details on on the market value of the things they are doing.

Oct 26, 2016 – New Media Recruiter

Thank you very much for your feedback and thoughts! Employee perspective is extremely helpful to us as we are going through these changes. Please reach out to your manager or team lead with any ideas... More

"A great 3rd job to have"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Free snacks, drinks, healthcare, open door management style, allows for self starters to perform and be nurtured, great events. This is a work environment you cannot fully appreciate unless you have spent time in corporate America. The culture TechSmith provides just does not exist in a lot of other places, and it was such a shock to me when I came on board that it took me a while to accept it was real. If you advocate for yourself at TechSmith, you will be fine and enjoy your time working here.

Cons

The management needs some improvement for sure and needs to evolve to be more than what is currently is. Senior leadership is changing for the better and is becoming more transparent and is becoming much more approachable.

TechSmith is currently in an evolving state, and those who have the patience for it will be rewarded with not only a better employee hierarchy, but an overall better place to share ideas and progress in their careers.

Advice to Management

Less time in meetings.

Oct 19, 2016 – New Media Recruiter

Thank you so much for your review and input. We appreciate your honest feedback that you do see change among the leadership team for the better, we have been working on that. Our employees are truly... More

"Resume Rotter - Stay Away"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith full-time

Pros

- Free pop
    - Pays higher than market average
    - "Job stability"

Cons

- Being overpaid while doing absolutely nothing to move forward in your technical career. What type of people does that retain?
    - No sense of innovation, just keep doing whatever you were doing in the past.
    - Don't be "that guy/girl" with a new idea. No one wants to put in more time.
    - Change product direction every two months. And the hardest working people who keep up with that, who want to be part of a great product, end up walking away.
    - Have no product direction. Start a project and kill it before it ever has a chance to get anywhere. Then place the software engineers that were on that product on a terrible CMS solution as a day job. And overpay them.
    - No branding. People who use Camtasia and Snagit have no idea who Techsmith is.
    - Seniority based on time and not experience + effort.
    - Management is too proud and doesn't want to take any real blame.

Advice to Management

Eliminate yourselves. "Middle management" serves no purpose in this company. Lots of wasted time and money on "middle management". The company feels like a much larger company than it is, partly due to useless management. This, compounded with overpaid workers that do nothing and take no responsibility, results in an extremely bloated feeling for the company.

Honestly speaking, Techsmith has potential. They made great products in the past. They just have no idea how to handle this bloat. They've tried bringing in consultants to deal with this (about 15% of employees left in one year), rather than just talking to their employees, which sort of made the "bloat" feeling a bit worse.

Sep 29, 2016 – CEO

Our developers put their heart and soul into our products, so I completely understand how crushing it must feel for the business to make a decision to eliminate a product line. We’ve had to make... More

"Innovative and challenging, with great midwest values"

Pros

The people are great to work with and will always have your back, and TechSmith will support you in whatever direction you'd like to take your job. It's a very motivating and team oriented environment, at least in my case. Of course the family events, free meals/snacks, great benefits always are nice as well :) It's hands down the best company I've worked for to date.

Cons

While the company gives away generous bonuses and raises, it is pretty difficult to move up in the company, as the structure is pretty flat. Most managers have been there for quite a while. Experience can vary from team to team. While teams like mine are motivated and healthy, it seems that may not be not be the case for all teams.

Advice to Management

One thing that TechSmith seems to always have struggled with is making decisions. Make timely decisions and stick to them rather than wavering. I will say, things seem to be looking up with Wendy as new CEO, so keep it up!

"Many Unaddressed Problems"

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart, friendly people on staff
    Competitive pay and benefits
    Room and resources to play/experiment in your field

Cons

Most of the smart, friendly people of TechSmith have been demotivated by the mgmt and leadership teams and are now uninspired and disengaged.
    There's little to no room for vertical growth, unless you want to be a manager--and there are already plenty of those.
    High performers are often given more work (not more important work), leading to burnout, while others have little to show for their years spent on staff.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their time. Reward your high performers with advancement, not more work than is manageable. Let go of the people who don't perform. Set expectations and standards for being on Team TechSmith. Find a way to inspire, motivate, and attract talent again.

Oct 11, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your review. From your positive comments about the people, and room for experimentation, it feels like you are a motivated employee who wants to have more impact. It's critical for our... More

"Everyone Is Jumping Ship Quickly"

Current Employee - Sales in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company as a whole is laid back and there isn't any dress code. There is a posibility for bonuses based on profits but those bonuses are rarely given out, but the pay is fairly decent and benefits are good. We aren't expected to do outbound sales, we just let people contact us so there is very little pressure and we don't have to worry about not getting commission.

A lot of companies won't hire you without experience, especially experience in your field, but TechSmith hires a lot of people right out of college and makes it easy to start in a department where you have no experience at all.

Cons

They let a lot of unqualified people run the company and you better get on their good side becuase they play favorites. There's a reason that people are leaving TechSmith so quickly, instead of fixing the problems the HR team and execs just points fingers but then won't hold people accountable when they've been performing poorly.

People don't have your back as other reviews claim.
    The amount of gossip that goes around this place is absurd and everyone seems to think it's fine and normal. Teams blame each other for a lot of the problems and everyone here is two-faced, they act friendly in person but go back to their team and start saying a lot of bad things. People also get extremely defensive. Instead of working together to fix the problems with all the home-grown systems people defend their decisions and tell you that you need to work around it because you're doing things wrong.

Advice to Management

Laying blame won't fix your problems and letting people gossip will make them worse. Hire qualified people to lead the departments who will take action to fix the questionable systems and mean people.

Oct 11, 2016 – CEO

I’ve been acting head of sales and service for a few months, meeting the employees and working with management. There are a large number very talented and capable employees here who are committed... More

"If the free pop doesn't kill you... the job will"

Pros

Can wear jeans to work
    Very flexible with working hours. You can worka t home and not have to be by a computer or phone all day!!
    Free pop and snacks... free food on Friday
    Great benefits

Cons

Promotes yes men who have no original thoughts or ideas.
    Lack of communication between departments. Departments will constantly waste the sales team's time asking for help and then do the exact opposite of the advise they were given.Thus producing a inept product that doesn't work and frustrates the customer.
    Overpays those employees who work on an app that bleeds money and have been seen drinking on the job more then once.
    Instead of firing people they make up fake jobs for people, taking away more opportunities for those who are deserving. Thus losing many VERY talented employees who I have watched go to other companies and exceed.

Advice to Management

Get off Facebook and control the atmosphere of your company! The cattiness and rudeness needs to go. Step up, take some responsibility and take charge of your teams. The current management team is so incompetent i do not believe they are capable of pulling TechSmith out of the ground.

Dec 8, 2016 – CEO

I wish I could have figured out how to address your concerns sooner. As you might know, things have evolved since you left. As of now, most of the executive team members are recent outside... More