TechSmith Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TechSmith Interview Questions

Interviews at TechSmith

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TechSmith (East Lansing, MI) in February 2014.

Interview

Brought into office for interview. About half hour of general interview questions which felt more like a conversation. Many chances to ask questions and interview the interviewers. Then about 45 minutes of white boarding problems. You can choose whichever programing language you prefer. questions start very simple and then get a little bit harder. None of them are anything too complicated. Most complicated was detecting a palindrome (and yes "Race Car" counts as a palindrome).

Interview Questions

• What skill do you need to work on the most to succeed at work? (or something along those lines)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TechSmith in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through a career fair and they were quick about getting to back to me. The interview was easy and straightforward-- some behavioral questions and questions about my previous projects and programming experience. There was a chance for me to ask about the company, and then about half an hour of whiteboard problems. Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. Both interviewers were very friendly, and it was a pretty laid-back experience.

Interview Questions

• Whose responsibility is it to make sure the final product works well? (something along those lines)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TechSmith (Okemos, MI) in July 2013.

Interview

I recently completed a two day, two part interview with TechSmith and figured it would be smart to recap how my experience was for other candidates coming along down the road.

If you pass the one or two phone screens (where you’ll be asked traditional programming & conceptual questions usually focused on whatever specialty you have on your resume), you’ll then get invited on-site. The way TechSmith likes to structure their interviews are two separate days of interviews for 3 - 5 hours at a time, usually a few days or a week apart. In my particular case, where I came in from far out of town, they scheduled my interview days back to back.

The company is open about who you’ll be speaking with ahead of time, so that way you can look up your interviewers’ history & specialty via LinkedIn.

For me (and probably for most other candidates), my first day of interviews started off with a group panel with 5 people and me in a meeting room. The five people in my room included: the HR drone, a Development Manager, the CTO and two developers. After this hour was concluded, the three non-developers left the room leaving me with the next two hours were devoted to discussing — and fixing up & enhancing — a (relatively small) programming project that they’ll assign to the candidate prior to showing up to that interview day. The programming project wasn’t hard in the slightest, and they ask to only spend a maximum of about 3 - 4 hours constructing the app so that way there’s additional features that could be added or obvious bugs that you can fix. The idea here is for your potential peers to work with you to see how you collaborate and work with the team.

My second interview day had almost no software engineers, but instead a collection of various co-workers of different disciplines who support the products a software engineer is assembling. The first team of interviewers were a QA person and a UX person. The second interview was an executive who gave a bit of a (very diverse) history of the company. I also did lunch on this day at a steakhouse found in a strip-mall across the street from the TechSmith complex (but we still drove over there; typical Michiganders :-). The interview day finished up with a tour of the TechSmith complex and then a 15 minute standard benefits-package overview talk with the HR drone.

The company has been steadily growing over the 15 years of its existence but remains still relatively small (closing in on 300 people, including the interns they hire each summer). Various interviewers remarked how TechSmith has never done layoffs, but instead did a hiring freeze when the economy wasn’t going very well. I asked why employees leave TechSmith, and the reply was that many of the younger employees are hired straight out of school (e.g. Michigan State is down the street, and the University of Michigan isn’t that far down the road either) and they’ll leave to go get additional experiences in bigger tech locations such as Silicon Valley or somewhere on the East Coast.

TechSmith appears to be a family oriented company which promotes a healthy work / life balance. If you work much more than 8 hours a day, the boss might be asked what the *company* is doing wrong where the employees have to work so much extra (versus the typical Silicon Valley lifestyle where 10+ hour days are an expected reality). Instead of a company Christmas party (where it’s almost impossible to conveniently arrange everyone to be in the same banquet hall at the same time), they do a company “birthday” party in February, in addition to a number of various sponsored events for “adults” (e.g. employee + spouse) or “family” (bring the kids), such as Lansing Lugnuts minor league baseball team games.

Everyone seemed mostly friendly and welcoming; but as the second, longer day of interviews wore on, I was worried that my personality wasn’t going to be a perfect fit for the teams. The H.R. lady asked me all the standard “criticize yourself” H.R. questions during the big panel interview (“why shouldn’t we hire you?”, “if you could time travel back to the beginning of your career, what advice would you give yourself?”), and I felt like I didn’t properly approach the answer (where one might start off with a seemingly negative trait and turn those negatives into positives or answers that showed strengths).

Hopefully my experience going through the TechSmith interview will properly prepare for you to pass your interviewing day. If you find any of the information in my interview review helpful, please let me know by voting "Yes" on the "Helpful?" question below (this helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible).

Interview Questions

• delete a node in a linked list   1 Answer
    • In Objective-C, take an array of integers and return the sum.   1 Answer
    • In Objective-C, take an array of integers and return the number of even and odd integers.   1 Answer

With the friendliness and approachability of the potential co-workers, TechSmith was difficult for me to turn down. In the end, I was bummed with the generic (felt almost "junior" or new grad) title I was being offered and I also felt the salary was a little too low given the experience I was bringing to the table. For what it's worth, wages in Michigan are somewhat depressed along with the overall state economy; on the other hand, cost of living is significantly cheaper in Michigan as well.

Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TechSmith (Okemos, MI) in January 2014.

Interview

Two interviews, one at the company and another over lunch. I found the interview to be very relaxed and not very hard. If you have your behavioral questions down and keep it professional you should be okay. Techsmith interviews doesn't weed out the technical talent very well. Mostly situational and then the technical interview

Interview Questions

• Go through a list of strings and determine if they're palindrome   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TechSmith (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through career fair of a university, and offered an on campus interview within 3 days. They will ask you to apply online as well, which requires a resume and cover letter (not optional). They will also email you some forms and formal applications to fill out and bring to them when you go for the interview

Interview Questions

• given a positive integer, and then output the reverse of it. eg: given 1234, output 4321   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TechSmith (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by three representatives from TechSmith. After clearing some initial formalities, the interviewers dived straight into some technical questions that required writing code on a white board, followed by some behavioral interview questions. The entire interview lasted for an hour. The interviewers were outgoing, friendly and very helpful throughout.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview revolved around implementing functions dealing with null-terminated strings. For instance, "implement a function that takes 2 strings, and determines whether the second string is a substring of the first".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TechSmith (Okemos, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

1. Met TechSmith at a Career Fair
    2. Applied Online
    3. Got Schedule for a phone interview.
          - Generic questions were asked about what is a good environment to work , and questions about my personal career interests
          - had to solve a programming problem on a shared document
    4. Got invited for a full day interview process on campus. I was asked to do a simple project at home and bring it for the on site interview to pair program together on the bugs or features. ( The project was simple and could be implemented in any framework and language of your choice)
          - The whole day interview was split into several 40-50 minute group interviews. I was interviewed by about 16 people. Among them there were: HR, Engineers, Team Leaders, and UX
    - There were sessions that were more behavioral questions, other sessions were pair programming and solving problems on the board ( very diverse set of interview sessions )

From all the companies I interviewed, TechSmith stood out the most. They really did their homework to a point that even my publish paper got read.
    The on site interview was very long and diverse. It gave me the opportunity to get to know the company better and let them know me better as well.
    The amount of effort and people involved during the interviewing process, really impressed me.
    If I could sum up, the interview process was long, intense, diverse, challenging, and I had some fun!

I wish you all the best on yours.

Interview Questions

• Regular Behavior questions... I do not remember which one specifically, but nothing out of the ordinary. Solving a problem on the board, and also pair programming.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TechSmith (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2019.

Interview

I interview in my university's library after the career fair. It was a 30-minute interview. They asked me to describe myself and they asked me a few questions about the company. There were 2 whiteboard questions and then they asked if I had questions for them.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TechSmith (Okemos, MI) in December 2009.

Interview

I met with a company VP and a software developer. They were both very friendly. I did not know what to expect but the interview was first 30 minutes or so of general background and behavioral questions. Asking mostly about my experience and interests. Then I had about another 30 minutes just with the developer to do some whiteboard problems. He gave me three algorithms to implement in C++ and asked me to think out loud through the process and explain my answer. Overall, they were pretty basic problems, which anyone with some computer science background should be fine with.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to capitalize a string without using built-in functions.   1 Answer
    • Given a singly linked list, how can you find if there is a loop in the list?   3 Answers

Inside Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TechSmith (Okemos, MI) in May 2012.

Interview

Process went pretty quick, phone interview first that lasted about 45 minutes then they invite you in for an onsite interview with a lot of different people. Once you're through that they call you back within a couple dyas.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle an escalating situation where the customer is frustrated at a company policy.   1 Answer