Tesla Reviews | Glassdoor

1,236 Ratings

1,717 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance is hard to keep" (in 221 reviews)

• "Bad work life balance long hours" (in 187 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Most innovative company"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Lathrop, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Lathrop, CA

I have been working at Tesla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having the opportunity to work for a company that is changing the world is exhilarating and rewarding. The projects I get to work on are right up my alley, challenging, and stretch my ability to allow me to learn on the job. The compensation is adequate for the work put in, and I feel valued every day at work. Team around me is encouraging and kind which creates a pleasant place to go into work each day.

Cons

The only con I can perceive is that Tesla is a high stress, high pace environment. People here work really hard and get things done. I wouldn’t say it is for everyone, but for a lot of people they would fit right in and feel at home.

Advice to Management

From my perspective, management is doing a stellar job at running the company and maintaining a great work environment. Feedback is recieved and given adequately, there is a minimum level of micromanaging, and everyone is respectful and willing to work together to solve issues regardless of hierarchy. It is really encouraging to work under management I can look at as leadership.

2. "Integration Engineer"

Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Tesla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot from the integration team. You can work on the latest cars and it's never boring working at Tesla.

Cons

Long hours during new product development but this happens when you work at a company in a hot industry.

"A unique company, but it’s hard to last more than a couple of years here."

Current Employee - White Collar Worker In Service (Headquarters) in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - White Collar Worker In Service (Headquarters) in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Completely casual dress code

Flexibility to work from home when needed

Always interesting to work at the factory

If you look at the SEC filings, you can see that the top people are basically compensated the same as the other employees, which is a pleasant surprise.

Many “beautiful people” here (male and female). Lots of eye candy.

A lot of people complain about the pay, but they paid me more than my last company, where I had the same title

LGBT friendly

The product is cool, and really fun to drive

If you’re in the right department, you might be able to drive a Tesla somewhat regularly. If not, there is an ongoing contest where you can be randomly selected to take one home for a couple of nights

The company is still growing

There is room to move geographically within Service, since Tesla owns the Service Centers

Lots of “car guy” coworkers to keep conversations interesting

Benefits actually got better and cheaper every year from 2012-2015, and stayed similar after that. I guess this was due to the company growing and getting better group rates. Regardless, not many people can say that.

You’ll frequently come to work that day expecting to work on a certain project and end up on something totally different. This can be good and bad.

Starting hours are typically flexible, which is a really nice perk. Nobody is making sure you’re in your seat at a certain time.

Most employees are surprisingly responsive and friendly.

Very heavy email-based communication, and it mostly works quite well.

You get good at doing the best you can with the resources you have, rather than doing the best possible job. This isn’t necessarily a complaint, since it’s a valuable skill to have, but you should consider if you’re going to be okay in that kind of environment before applying.

Cons

Rare to be recognized, let alone thanked, for going above and beyond to accomplish something out of the ordinary. Once you've "done the impossible", it's just assumed that you can and will do it again and again from now on.

Literally hundreds of people in one room, desks on top of each other, as many as possible in every little space. Companies claim that they’re being “modern” and “progressive” by not having offices and cubicles, but they’re just being cheap. Look at pictures of offices from the 1950’s. You’ll see the same hundreds of desks in a room.

Yearly raises are typically less than the cost of living

Work/life balance is mediocre at best

Smallish yearly bonuses in the form of golden handcuffs. RSUs that vest over 4 years, so you’ll wait a long time to benefit from them

Those who were hired before mid-2013 made a lot of money off stock options, but many of those people are leaving now that all of their options are used up.

Revolving door. It’s hard to last more than a couple of years here.

It’s always seemingly a few steps away from massive failure

Very few processes in place, so work is done extremely inefficiently

Very common to compose an email and see “This is no longer a valid Tesla address”

The entire Service organization shares one budget. I am scrimping to save $50 on software while a barely-related manager wastes literally tens of thousands of dollars a week on cool toys, and it all comes from the same place.

Everything’s urgent, and people try to name-drop that Elon’s watching this very project so I need to stop everything for them. Luckily those of us who have been around for a while see right through that charade.

Technically, no 401(k) match, though if you’re careful with the health benefits you choose, you can end up with some leftover that can be diverted into the 401(k).

Middle managers are very hit-and-miss. Many were promoted because a manager was needed and they were the only one who knew anything about the department. Much room for improvement here.

Minimal leadership training. No real employee development opportunities. The results are just as bad as you’d expect.

Massive inter-departmental struggles. Most of my problems can be traced to one power-hungry manager of a sister department. It only takes one person to ruin the work lives of many people.

There are more meetings than I expected from this kind of company. Elon sent a great email about how wasteful meetings are, but people have fallen into old bad habits.

Completely ineffective HR department

Every department is grossly understaffed, just barely above the point of collapse. Nearly everyone has to work harder than they would if they were doing the same job at another company.

Anything that they can do in house, they’ll do, rather than outsourcing to a supplier. There are people who spend their whole careers deciding “make vs. buy”… no need for them here, it seems. This is corporate arrogance, and it reduces quality, wastes human resources, and slows time to market in many cases. A positive side effect is that more products are made here in California than would be if they were outsourced.

Inadequate parking

Note to hiring managers at other companies: Watch out if someone from Tesla has “Project Manager” on their title. Many of these people are just general office workers with no skills beyond harassing people via email.

Advice to Management

I was debating whether I approve of the CEO or not.

On the one hand, he occasionally sends these excellent emails about business philosophy and avoiding siloing, wasteful meetings, and that managers are there to support their employees, not the other way around. 10/10 on that! When he leads an all-hands meeting, he usually has interesting things to say, especially if you can get him free-form thinking out loud during a Q&A session.

On the other hand, he is a relentless micro-manager and singlehandedly derails production, reduces product quality, makes hundreds of people have to work much harder, and causes massive waste because he wants to see every little detail and change those details at literally the last minute. It’s grossly inefficient and is ruining the company bit by bit.

My advice to management: The company would work much better if Elon was only an idea man, locked up safely in a room somewhere, with his hands completely off of operations.

4. "Lead"

I have been working at Tesla full-time

Pros

Amazing place to grow as a part of the company and professionally. Awesome environment and great benefits.

Cons

The bad part is that once you get hooked on working there it can become more of a workaholic.

5. "Staff mechanical engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Mechanical Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Mechanical Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing product & Team. Good opportunities to evolve quickly

Cons

Low salary for the Bay Area

6. "Fulfilling, Challenging, Worth it."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist

I have been working at Tesla part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tesla is truly changing the world. At Tesla, I'm working for a mission, not just for a paycheck. It's easy to love your job when you're doing it for a bigger purpose.

Cons

People come into Tesla showrooms solely to argue with you about sustainability, climate change, or how "Tesla will fail." It's repetitive, but it's also funny some of the things people say. It's often absurd and ridiculous.

7. "CES"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tesla part-time

Pros

Everything is perfect at this company

Cons

Nothing is wrong with this company

8. "Customer Experience Specialist"

Current Employee - CES II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - CES II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tesla part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to drive the best cars in the world

Cons

The CEO can cause worry

9. "Sr delivery experience specialist"

I have been working at Tesla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never a dull moment. Always changing. Lots of overtime. You meet cool people. You get to drive Tesla’s

Cons

Work life balance. Stress. Always changing.

10. "Quality Tech Model 3"

Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Tesla (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and busy environment

Cons

If you aren’t “one of the guys” you probably won’t be promoted.
    Claims to be a merit based company. Not.

Advice to Management

Select better Managers and Supervisors

Showing 1,717 of 2,033 reviews