Tesla Reviews | Glassdoor

Elon Musk
1,065 Ratings

1,468 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You really do get a sense that the people in the company do want to push hard to change the world" (in 62 reviews)

• "Fast-paced moving environment if you're the type who likes change" (in 111 reviews)

Cons
  • "Minimal work life balance within corporate culture" (in 195 reviews)

• "Long hours, comparable lower pay" (in 164 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

I have been working at Tesla full-time

Pros

Great place to work

Cons

Long hours with no feedback

"A unique company, but it’s hard to last more than a couple of years here."

Current Employee - White Collar Worker In Service (Headquarters) in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - White Collar Worker In Service (Headquarters) in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Completely casual dress code

Flexibility to work from home when needed

Always interesting to work at the factory

If you look at the SEC filings, you can see that the top people are basically compensated the same as the other employees, which is a pleasant surprise.

Many “beautiful people” here (male and female). Lots of eye candy.

A lot of people complain about the pay, but they paid me more than my last company, where I had the same title

LGBT friendly

The product is cool, and really fun to drive

If you’re in the right department, you might be able to drive a Tesla somewhat regularly. If not, there is an ongoing contest where you can be randomly selected to take one home for a couple of nights

The company is still growing

There is room to move geographically within Service, since Tesla owns the Service Centers

Lots of “car guy” coworkers to keep conversations interesting

Benefits actually got better and cheaper every year from 2012-2015, and stayed similar after that. I guess this was due to the company growing and getting better group rates. Regardless, not many people can say that.

You’ll frequently come to work that day expecting to work on a certain project and end up on something totally different. This can be good and bad.

Starting hours are typically flexible, which is a really nice perk. Nobody is making sure you’re in your seat at a certain time.

Most employees are surprisingly responsive and friendly.

Very heavy email-based communication, and it mostly works quite well.

You get good at doing the best you can with the resources you have, rather than doing the best possible job. This isn’t necessarily a complaint, since it’s a valuable skill to have, but you should consider if you’re going to be okay in that kind of environment before applying.

Cons

Rare to be recognized, let alone thanked, for going above and beyond to accomplish something out of the ordinary. Once you've "done the impossible", it's just assumed that you can and will do it again and again from now on.

Literally hundreds of people in one room, desks on top of each other, as many as possible in every little space. Companies claim that they’re being “modern” and “progressive” by not having offices and cubicles, but they’re just being cheap. Look at pictures of offices from the 1950’s. You’ll see the same hundreds of desks in a room.

Yearly raises are typically less than the cost of living

Work/life balance is mediocre at best

Smallish yearly bonuses in the form of golden handcuffs. RSUs that vest over 4 years, so you’ll wait a long time to benefit from them

Those who were hired before mid-2013 made a lot of money off stock options, but many of those people are leaving now that all of their options are used up.

Revolving door. It’s hard to last more than a couple of years here.

It’s always seemingly a few steps away from massive failure

Very few processes in place, so work is done extremely inefficiently

Very common to compose an email and see “This is no longer a valid Tesla address”

The entire Service organization shares one budget. I am scrimping to save $50 on software while a barely-related manager wastes literally tens of thousands of dollars a week on cool toys, and it all comes from the same place.

Everything’s urgent, and people try to name-drop that Elon’s watching this very project so I need to stop everything for them. Luckily those of us who have been around for a while see right through that charade.

Technically, no 401(k) match, though if you’re careful with the health benefits you choose, you can end up with some leftover that can be diverted into the 401(k).

Middle managers are very hit-and-miss. Many were promoted because a manager was needed and they were the only one who knew anything about the department. Much room for improvement here.

Minimal leadership training. No real employee development opportunities. The results are just as bad as you’d expect.

Massive inter-departmental struggles. Most of my problems can be traced to one power-hungry manager of a sister department. It only takes one person to ruin the work lives of many people.

There are more meetings than I expected from this kind of company. Elon sent a great email about how wasteful meetings are, but people have fallen into old bad habits.

Completely ineffective HR department

Every department is grossly understaffed, just barely above the point of collapse. Nearly everyone has to work harder than they would if they were doing the same job at another company.

Anything that they can do in house, they’ll do, rather than outsourcing to a supplier. There are people who spend their whole careers deciding “make vs. buy”… no need for them here, it seems. This is corporate arrogance, and it reduces quality, wastes human resources, and slows time to market in many cases. A positive side effect is that more products are made here in California than would be if they were outsourced.

Inadequate parking

Note to hiring managers at other companies: Watch out if someone from Tesla has “Project Manager” on their title. Many of these people are just general office workers with no skills beyond harassing people via email.

Advice to Management

I was debating whether I approve of the CEO or not.

On the one hand, he occasionally sends these excellent emails about business philosophy and avoiding siloing, wasteful meetings, and that managers are there to support their employees, not the other way around. 10/10 on that! When he leads an all-hands meeting, he usually has interesting things to say, especially if you can get him free-form thinking out loud during a Q&A session.

On the other hand, he is a relentless micro-manager and singlehandedly derails production, reduces product quality, makes hundreds of people have to work much harder, and causes massive waste because he wants to see every little detail and change those details at literally the last minute. It’s grossly inefficient and is ruining the company bit by bit.

My advice to management: The company would work much better if Elon was only an idea man, locked up safely in a room somewhere, with his hands completely off of operations.

3. "Field Energy Advisor"

Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in El Paso, TX

I worked at Tesla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excels in living the organization's mission.
    The Leadership Team is completely in touch with the business. This is by far the most employee friendly company that I have worked in. Professional, hard working, top notch employees

Cons

No negative comments . Amazing company!

"Tesla will change the world, and they need you, 24/7."

Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at Tesla full-time

Pros

Company Mission to "Accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy" is admirable and inspiring. Work is challenging and invigorating. People are among the brightest on the planet and everyone there is motivated by the same goal so they are all very willing to help each other. I did not see and signs of aggressive ladder climbing or backstabbing.

Cons

Work schedule is 12 hours per day, 5 days per week, more when things are not running smoothly (so pretty much all the time, at this point, ha). If you have a family you should not expect to see much of them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, wish I could have found a way to make it work for me and my family.

5. "Great Company"

I worked at Tesla full-time

Pros

Work and Life balance is favorable.

Cons

Company inconsistent with sales structure.

6. "Tesla"

Pros

Helpful people, very nice, informative, learn as you go.

Cons

Foot traffic may depend on the location you are at, attempting to contact customers maybe hassle.

7. "Could be better and honesty breeds loyalty."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Tesla full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are wickedly awesome
    Pay is awesome

Cons

Attendance policy is poorly written
    Broken promises upon hiring

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees and don't yank them around.

8. "Talented people + A good cause"

Current Employee - Data Scientist
    Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Tesla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to fight climate change every day
    Lots of talented, dedicated people to work with
    Very flat corporate structure - you can talk/ to anyone you want at any time for any reason.
    Work from home 1-2 days a week is A-OK.

Cons

Commute to Palo Alto can be tough

9. "Service Tech"

Current Employee - Service Tech
    Current Employee - Service Tech

I have been working at Tesla full-time

Pros

it seems very intimidating stepping in to a 70-80k plus car and working on it but surprisingly they are not as complicated as i thought they would be for me coming from a automotive background. Great team and leadership always available

Cons

sometimes the tech part and IT falls behind and prevents us from moving and needs more QC to keep up with demand

10. "Great Company. Amazing Benefits!"

Former Employee - Regional Channel Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Channel Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Tesla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tesla products and dedication to customer satisfaction is number 1 priority. They stand behind their products 100%.

Cons

Management constantly changing and you are constantly in fear of losing your job.

Showing 1,468 of 1,742 reviews