Tesla Reviews | Glassdoor

Tesla Chairman, CEO, and Product Architect Elon Musk
Elon Musk
1,275 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A lot of extremely hardworking people who want to change the world" (in 68 reviews)

• "The fast-paced open culture leading to creative and innovative solutions" (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • "Minimal work life balance within corporate culture" (in 227 reviews)

• "Bad work life balance long hours" (in 194 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Most innovative company"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Lathrop, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Lathrop, CA

I have been working at Tesla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having the opportunity to work for a company that is changing the world is exhilarating and rewarding. The projects I get to work on are right up my alley, challenging, and stretch my ability to allow me to learn on the job. The compensation is adequate for the work put in, and I feel valued every day at work. Team around me is encouraging and kind which creates a pleasant place to go into work each day.

Cons

The only con I can perceive is that Tesla is a high stress, high pace environment. People here work really hard and get things done. I wouldn’t say it is for everyone, but for a lot of people they would fit right in and feel at home.

Advice to Management

From my perspective, management is doing a stellar job at running the company and maintaining a great work environment. Feedback is recieved and given adequately, there is a minimum level of micromanaging, and everyone is respectful and willing to work together to solve issues regardless of hierarchy. It is really encouraging to work under management I can look at as leadership.

2. "Customer Experience Specialist"

Current Employee - CES II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - CES II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tesla part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to drive the best cars in the world

Cons

The CEO can cause worry

"A unique company, but it’s hard to last more than a couple of years here."

Current Employee - White Collar Worker In Service (Headquarters) in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - White Collar Worker In Service (Headquarters) in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Completely casual dress code

Flexibility to work from home when needed

Always interesting to work at the factory

If you look at the SEC filings, you can see that the top people are basically compensated the same as the other employees, which is a pleasant surprise.

Many “beautiful people” here (male and female). Lots of eye candy.

A lot of people complain about the pay, but they paid me more than my last company, where I had the same title

LGBT friendly

The product is cool, and really fun to drive

If you’re in the right department, you might be able to drive a Tesla somewhat regularly. If not, there is an ongoing contest where you can be randomly selected to take one home for a couple of nights

The company is still growing

There is room to move geographically within Service, since Tesla owns the Service Centers

Lots of “car guy” coworkers to keep conversations interesting

Benefits actually got better and cheaper every year from 2012-2015, and stayed similar after that. I guess this was due to the company growing and getting better group rates. Regardless, not many people can say that.

You’ll frequently come to work that day expecting to work on a certain project and end up on something totally different. This can be good and bad.

Starting hours are typically flexible, which is a really nice perk. Nobody is making sure you’re in your seat at a certain time.

Most employees are surprisingly responsive and friendly.

Very heavy email-based communication, and it mostly works quite well.

You get good at doing the best you can with the resources you have, rather than doing the best possible job. This isn’t necessarily a complaint, since it’s a valuable skill to have, but you should consider if you’re going to be okay in that kind of environment before applying.

Cons

Rare to be recognized, let alone thanked, for going above and beyond to accomplish something out of the ordinary. Once you've "done the impossible", it's just assumed that you can and will do it again and again from now on.

Literally hundreds of people in one room, desks on top of each other, as many as possible in every little space. Companies claim that they’re being “modern” and “progressive” by not having offices and cubicles, but they’re just being cheap. Look at pictures of offices from the 1950’s. You’ll see the same hundreds of desks in a room.

Yearly raises are typically less than the cost of living

Work/life balance is mediocre at best

Smallish yearly bonuses in the form of golden handcuffs. RSUs that vest over 4 years, so you’ll wait a long time to benefit from them

Those who were hired before mid-2013 made a lot of money off stock options, but many of those people are leaving now that all of their options are used up.

Revolving door. It’s hard to last more than a couple of years here.

It’s always seemingly a few steps away from massive failure

Very few processes in place, so work is done extremely inefficiently

Very common to compose an email and see “This is no longer a valid Tesla address”

The entire Service organization shares one budget. I am scrimping to save $50 on software while a barely-related manager wastes literally tens of thousands of dollars a week on cool toys, and it all comes from the same place.

Everything’s urgent, and people try to name-drop that Elon’s watching this very project so I need to stop everything for them. Luckily those of us who have been around for a while see right through that charade.

Technically, no 401(k) match, though if you’re careful with the health benefits you choose, you can end up with some leftover that can be diverted into the 401(k).

Middle managers are very hit-and-miss. Many were promoted because a manager was needed and they were the only one who knew anything about the department. Much room for improvement here.

Minimal leadership training. No real employee development opportunities. The results are just as bad as you’d expect.

Massive inter-departmental struggles. Most of my problems can be traced to one power-hungry manager of a sister department. It only takes one person to ruin the work lives of many people.

There are more meetings than I expected from this kind of company. Elon sent a great email about how wasteful meetings are, but people have fallen into old bad habits.

Completely ineffective HR department

Every department is grossly understaffed, just barely above the point of collapse. Nearly everyone has to work harder than they would if they were doing the same job at another company.

Anything that they can do in house, they’ll do, rather than outsourcing to a supplier. There are people who spend their whole careers deciding “make vs. buy”… no need for them here, it seems. This is corporate arrogance, and it reduces quality, wastes human resources, and slows time to market in many cases. A positive side effect is that more products are made here in California than would be if they were outsourced.

Inadequate parking

Note to hiring managers at other companies: Watch out if someone from Tesla has “Project Manager” on their title. Many of these people are just general office workers with no skills beyond harassing people via email.

Advice to Management

I was debating whether I approve of the CEO or not.

On the one hand, he occasionally sends these excellent emails about business philosophy and avoiding siloing, wasteful meetings, and that managers are there to support their employees, not the other way around. 10/10 on that! When he leads an all-hands meeting, he usually has interesting things to say, especially if you can get him free-form thinking out loud during a Q&A session.

On the other hand, he is a relentless micro-manager and singlehandedly derails production, reduces product quality, makes hundreds of people have to work much harder, and causes massive waste because he wants to see every little detail and change those details at literally the last minute. It’s grossly inefficient and is ruining the company bit by bit.

My advice to management: The company would work much better if Elon was only an idea man, locked up safely in a room somewhere, with his hands completely off of operations.

4. "Great yet challenging"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tesla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace, the forefront of technology

Cons

Confusing management structure, lack of support to effectively complete tasks!

Advice to Management

Spend appropriate time to get to know the business.

5. "Team leader"

I have been working at Tesla full-time

Pros

Best reason is for the good pay.

Cons

Worst reason is because of no home life.

6. "Service Technician"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tesla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting and fast paced environment

Cons

Things were constantly changing, but for some people that is a pro.

7. "Good Company"

I have been working at Tesla full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide transportation to and from work

Cons

Long work hours are a nuisance

"Customer Experience Specialist"

I worked at Tesla part-time

Pros

Culture of the company is amazing, you keep busy, you build relationships with people from all walks of life, and you get to work for uncle Elon!

Cons

The pay is a bit low for the amount of time you have to put in, but if you love the company and the people you work with it’s a small price to pay.

Advice to Management

If a subordinate has a great idea take it, make it happen and ensure it doesn’t fail. If your employee feels that you are doing right by him he will follow you to the depths of hell.

9. "NPI Material Planner"

Pros

Good culture, fast pace, cross functionality

Cons

communication, no other cons

10. "Hard but rewarding"

Current Employee - Energy Advisor in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Energy Advisor in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla (More than a year)

Pros

Working towards a common goal. Uncapped pay structure for sales.

Cons

Lots of lever pulling, and goal shifting.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee development and retention, I've seen a lot of incredibly talented and devoted people let go or leave when they were likely just mismanaged