Tesla Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in January 2020.

Interview

The interview process started off with an HR call followed by a phone interview with the Manager. After you clear that, then they will call for an onsite interview which has 4 technical rounds. All the interviewers were really good and supportive. No doubt that Tesla is one of the leading tech companies in the world.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

phone and onsite interview for two days . six different session. start with HR manager and end with the VP. 4 one to one interview with cross functional manager . Very detail oriented and looks for the business and technical capabilities .

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in June 2020.

Interview

The process started with a standard recruiter screening call, to narrow down the specific position I’d be a fit for. I was then sent a “Python Coding Challenge” to complete in 90 minutes, within 2 days of receiving. The challenge was a link to a website which doesn’t even run your code, which is extremely annoying. Also, the questions were convoluted and frankly too difficult for a new grad position. I had to reread each question and the examples several times because they were so confusing. A few days afterwards I was told my “solutions were not performant enough to move forward”. Ok then lol. Honestly this process felt disrespectful of my time, even if I had moved forward.

Interview Questions

• Log Processor

Outline:

You are developing a log processing system, which is made up of many different "steps" that process the logs in different ways.
      Each step is declared in advance, and the system is built up by feeding the output of one step into the inputs of other steps.
      Each step has a python function (stored in the "action" attribute) that gets evaluated to produce the output for that step.
      The user interacts with the system by telling the system they want the output of a particular step,
          and the system will call the action for that step (and any other actions that the desired step depends on) to return the processed log.

Each step is given an "output_name" attribute, which the user can use to get the output of that step. The "input_names" attribute
      stores a list of strings that match the output_name from other steps, so that the output value from one step can be used as an input parameter to other steps.

Read further to see examples of the system in action, and begin with Questions 1-4.   Answer Question
    • QUESTION 1:
      In example_system_1, the step for "output3" takes inputs from the steps for "output1" and "output2".
      Thus, if the user requests "output3", we must first evaluate the actions for "output2" and "output1"
          to get the values of these outputs, so the values can be used as inputs to the action of "output3".

To determine the correct ordering of step dependencies, complete the action_evaluation_order()
          function below, so that it will return a list of "output_name"s needed for the "order_for_output_name" parameter.
          Each "output_name" item in the list should appear *after* any of its dependencies.
          The ordering should not contain any duplicates.

You may assume every list of "StepDeclarations" is valid and solvable, eg:
       - each "StepDeclaration" will only have one output
       - each "StepDeclaration" can have any number of dependencies (including 0)
       - a list of StepDeclarations will not contain duplicate "output_name"s
       - a "StepDeclaration" cannot depend on its own output (directly or indirectly)

For this and the following questions, assume in real life the system is running at a large scale, so efficiency is important.
      That said, correct slow solutions will get more marks than incorrect fast ones.
      You may also leave notes explaining where you further optimize if you had the time.   Answer Question
    • QUESTION 2:
      Now that we know the order in which the actions have to be evaluated, complete the
        get_output_value() function below so that it calls each "action" in
        the correct order with the right input(s), and returns the output value of
        the "action" function for the StepDeclaration where the output_name attribute
        matches the "output_name" parameter.

You can use your previous working if desired.

for example_system_1, the get_output_value(example_system_1, "output3") function will do the following
      1) call action_get_logs1(), and store the output
      2) call action_get_logs2(), and store the output
      3) call action_combine_logs(), with the output from 1) and 2) as the input
      4) return the result of 3), as the "value_for_output_name" parameter matches the StepDeclaration.output_name for that step.
      # note that as in Q1, step 1) and 2) could happen in the reverser order.   Answer Question
    • QUESTION 3:
      We expect the "get_output_value()" function to be called multiple times with varying "step_declarations" and "value_for_output_name"s.
      As some of the "actions" might be expensive to call, we should cache the output of "action" calls.
      That way, if an "action" is called multiple times with the same input values, the output value can be reused without recomputing.
      An "action" function may be re-used multiple in many "StepDeclarations" within one system, or within different systems sharing a cache.

Implement get_output_value_with_caching() below to use the global "cache" variable.

"actions" are pure functions, where the output value of each function only depends on the values of the inputs. In
      a real system, some inputs are accessing external data (eg, reading logs off a filesystem) rather than just fixed
      strings like the examples given. We can simulate this by having one of the steps that takes no inputs return a variable result.   Answer Question
    • QUESTION 4:
      Another performance upgrade would be to add concurrency/parallelism where possible to increase the performance of the system.
      One example of this, in example_system_1, is that a single-threaded system will wait for the result of
       action_get_logs1() before calling action_get_logs2() (or vice versa).
      However these functions are independent of eachother and could be executed in parallel, speeding up the system.

Complete the "get_output_value_with_caching_and_parallelism" below, using concurrency/parallelism anywhere possible to
       increase the performance of the system.

Your selection of parallelization primitive or library does not affect your score
       (eg, you may use multithreading, multiprocessing, asyncio, etc)

You can assume that there is no performance overhead for additional workers
      (eg, you have unlimited CPUs), and that all action functions are IO-bound.

Extra for experts: limit the number of CPU cores you have to N, and assume each action can utilize
       a fixed number of CPUs from 1 to N. Then schedule parallel actions such that CPU cores
       are optimally utilized (but not oversaturated).   Answer Question

Associate Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

I received an email message from Tesla requesting my available dates and times for a first round phone screen.

After a little email back and forth about salary and relo, I rather generously provided a total of nine (9) hours of availability time across two days. I was left with the strong but unstated impression that salary wasn't an issue and was informed that this position could be remote.

Two days later, on a Friday afternoon, I still hadn't heard back from Tesla and withdrew from the position in order to maintain my productivity during the nine (9) hours that I was holding for Tesla.

It is unclear whether this snafu was due to the apparent limited English skills of the individual who I was corresponding with or whether the minimum base salary requirements that I provided this individual was not possible for this role and he didn't have the skills to stop the process from moving forward without leaving me hanging and holding nine (9) hours for Tesla until the eleventh hour.

At any rate, I was certainly inconvenienced by this lack of professionalism and am not inclined to apply to Tesla again.

Interview Questions

• Tesla didn't respond back to schedule the call and left me hanging with nine (9) hours reserved for Tesla. Hence. There were no interview questions.   1 Answer

Backend Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla in June 2020.

Interview

I was reached out by a HR recruiter on Linkedin. He talked to me over the phone to get some information about my experience and what I'm looking for in the next role. He set a call with the technical recruiter in a few days.

Awful technical recruiter call. It was a video call where the technical recruiter (the engineering manager of the team they were hiring) talked to me. He asked me about my background and within a few minutes, I saw him distracted and not interested to talk or ask any more questions. I wouldn't have upset him by talking about my background as they already had my resume and I was just elaborating what was mentioned on the resume.

Very unprofessional of him to not be attentive on a video call. WORST EXPERIENCE. Would never consider to interview for the company again.

Analyst Interview

Interview

1-2 phone screenings about prior experiences and to check cultural fit, then a video case study interview. Overall it took +4 weeks to reach this stage. Interview process is smooth, well organized.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

Phone screen followed by 1:1 technical phone calls with engineering team members. Need to pass a timed technical test. Need to solve coding problems live with interviewer. Basic EE lab questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Tesla in May 2020.

Interview

A long process, but well worth it! The interviews were not challenging, and quite enjoyable. The first interview was with a recruiter. It lasted 30 minutes. The second interview was with my prospective manager. It lasted 50 minutes. A third "interview" was scheduled, but it turned out to just be a call to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my work experience from my resume.   Answer Question
    • I was asked how I would manage a project from start to finish.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, phone screen, 1 too long code assignment to complete within a few days, an on-site followed. You start with a presentation and then the interviews. During the interviews too many of the interviewers mentioned how stressful the environment is and that they work a lot (Without me asking).

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was very long and time-consuming. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, a phone interview with the manager, a project to complete, an in-person presentation of this project followed by three 30 minute in-person panels of two people on the team, and then a phone interview from the manager's manager and then the director. The project requested for this process was vague and confusingly written. Because of this, I did as much as possible. This resulted in a very detailed presentation that took two weeks to complete.

Considering the extent of this interview and the promises of a difficult role, I expected to learn a lot. I believe the difficulty of the interview poorly reflected the job itself, as it was very easy and required little prior knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you needed information from a subject matter expert and they were not responding to you?   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

I applied on the company website. Basic information and work history. I received a phone call from a recruiter two days later . He set me up for a phone interview for the very next day.