Tetra Tech Reviews | Glassdoor

Tetra Tech Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and President Dan L. Batrack
Dan L. Batrack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The upper management is ran by some weasels" (in 11 reviews)

• "Little to no acknowledgement and no incentive for staff doing good, hard work" (in 6 reviews)

"Entrepreneurial Culture and Walks the Talk"

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible business acumen for most part. I see critical reviews below, but my experience has been the company is very supportive of its employees, provides an entrepreneurial culture which starts in the corporate offices down to most local offices. Compensation is driven by performance, not favoritism like some companies. If you are entrepreneurial and good at execution you can be very successful at Tetra Tech. It also respects people who want the 9-5 job, but compensation will reflect that.

Cons

if you have trouble in a fast paced entrepreneurial culture and like structure and the 9-5 M thru F job, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Don't change a thing.

"A Cut Above. Solid company. Advancement ."

Former Employee - Administrative in Marlboro, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Marlboro, MA

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Boston and New England area offices had GREAT people, projects, culture, leadership and business intentions. I experienced growth and opportunity. Well respected company. Among top in the industry.

Cons

Some past challenges with a declining leased building but they resolved by later moving to gorgeous, state-of-the-art space!

Advice to Management

Take a bow for continuing to improve the region with your exciting projects and the work of your good people.

3. "Good Steady Job...Great coworkers"

Current Employee - Scientist Technician in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Scientist Technician in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Tetra Tech part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, interesting work and depending on the job, room for improvement

Cons

High turnover in some departments

Advice to Management

Look at employees as people, not numbers.

"Enjoyed my time there."

Former Employee - Biologist
    Former Employee - Biologist

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, team environment. Large variety of projects and lots of opportunity to network and work with/learn from talented and knowledgeable individuals in my field. Hours were flexible, with good benefits.

Cons

Too much travel time became exhausting, and contributed to poor work/life balance at times. Office culture varies widely between locations and operating units. Not enough opportunity for promotion from within.

Advice to Management

More cooperation between operating units is usually very beneficial. Some managers can stifle valuable work opportunities for staff by not working well and networking with other groups.

5. "Also known as "Terrible Tech"."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

experience in the field, then get out.

Cons

corruption(look into their latest lawsuits), low salary, bad management, rushed projects, no quality checking, miscommunications

"Starter job, not good for stability or long term"

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent starter job, I learned the field and then moved on to another job that paid significantly more.

Cons

It was difficult to find billable work. While I was here more contracts were lost than won, and a lot of “donated” time was expected on projects either because we under bid to win a proposal, or work was going in to writing a new bid.

Advice to Management

Make salaries competitive.

7. "Decent company, depends on business unit"

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and decent compensation

Cons

Peers would say that Tt is "entrepreneurial" but that depends on the business unit you end up working for. Not all business units are operated the same.

8. "Solid Firm that Rewards Motivated Employees"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial focus on developing work.
    Reasonable balance of expectations for work, family, and free time.
    Friendly staff and collaborative atmosphere at most locations and between P&L centers.
    Diversity of technical expertise available to build project teams.
    Competitive pay and bonuses paid out for high performers.
    A variety of initiatives are available for employees to take part in and grow associated business lines.
    Financially outperforming their peer group.
    Stable company without the acquisition headaches numerous competitors are dealing with.
    Long serving senior leadership team that reward employees for innovation and moving the needle.
    On the commercial side of the company there is less bureaucracy and over lording of approvals by management than I have seen at other firms (i.e. CH2M, ERM, etc.)
    Record revenues (2018) and backlog (2019).

Cons

Medium size firm that has enough people that it is hard to keep track of where all the work is being conducted.
    Internal company competition between P&Ls. However, this has been improving with time, restructuring that eliminates competition, and senior leadership recognition of successful internal collaborations on projects and shared clients.

9. "A Place to Make a Career and Change the World with Lifelong Friends"

Current Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best people in the environmental science business work here and stay here for long careers. I have very strong work relationships and as a woman, command as much respect as my peers, who are a diverse and skilled group. Experience is highly valued, as is a good work ethic and team involvement.
    The work I do has direct impact on the environment and the world
    It means a lot to be one of the good guys
    Health and Safety are really emphasized

Cons

Communication and skills sharing is inconsistent across business units.
    Not much structured support for internal and external sales.
    It is a consulting business, so there is a lot of pressure to stay billable, and keep your salary low so your hourly rate is not too high for contracts.
    I could get paid more if I left, I just don't want to leave, but it can be hard to justify.
    Company does not encourage the adoption of new tech
    Company does not encourage continuing education other than professional certifications and Health & Safety

Advice to Management

Improve communication and skills sharing across business units.
    Reward people who are longtime employees with perks like free education and bonuses, instead of pay increases.
    Encourage all employees to continue their education and adopt changing tech to do more but also better
    Encourage long term data management and collaboration for more knowledge sharing across the company (we have some seriously skilled and talented people!)
    More interns, please.

10. "Great people, good experience"

Former Employee - Internship
    Former Employee - Internship

I worked at Tetra Tech (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned at Tetra Tech during my junior year of college in the environmental engineering group. Everyone I interacted with was very helpful and friendly, and I learned a lot about GIS as well as the consulting climate.

Cons

I interned in the winter, so there wasn't as much work for me to do as there might have been in the summer.