Tetra Tech Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Tetra Tech Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and President Dan L. Batrack
Dan L. Batrack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Friendly flexible work environment in Marlborough" (in 24 reviews)

• "Good working environment and a good work-life balance" (in 10 reviews)

Cons

1. "Entrepreneurial Culture and Walks the Talk"

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible business acumen for most part. I see critical reviews below, but my experience has been the company is very supportive of its employees, provides an entrepreneurial culture which starts in the corporate offices down to most local offices. Compensation is driven by performance, not favoritism like some companies. If you are entrepreneurial and good at execution you can be very successful at Tetra Tech. It also respects people who want the 9-5 job, but compensation will reflect that.

Cons

if you have trouble in a fast paced entrepreneurial culture and like structure and the 9-5 M thru F job, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Don't change a thing.

2. "Temp Position"

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

Loving environment
    Easy work to get done

Cons

No clear and concise information from uppermanagement

3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Field Technician
    Former Employee - Field Technician

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large resources, employees are passionate and dedicated about their work, a lot of opportunities to go where your needs and the company's are best met.

Cons

Workflow ebbed and flowed, largely dependent upon contract work

4. "Great"

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Flexable with work schedule, Great Corporate leadership

Cons

Vacation (TOWP) is not in line with other government contractors.

5. "Monitor"

Former Employee - Monitor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Monitor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Tetra Tech part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours, really nice pay and overtime pay

Cons

There’s isn’t anything that I don’t like about the job

"Terrible Middle Men"

Former Employee - Program Director
    Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tetra Tech has a lot of money, so be sure to negotiate hard and get as much out of them as you can. I managed to negotiate for a housing allowance, extra leave, and a car allowance for my position overseas.

Cons

TT is essentially a middle man. Embassies, major companies, and government agencies pay Tetra Tech to hire staff on their behalf. I was hired through Tetra Tech and placed at an embassy overseas. It sounds amazing, but in reality it isn't.

First, the company/embassy/government agency where you are placed will always treat you as a second class citizen because you aren't considered permanent staff (you were hired through a middle man, so most employees view you sort of like a temp).

Second, because you were hired and placed via a middle man, staff protections and policies don't apply to you. For example, at the embassy where I was placed, all embassy staff would get off for 4th of July and other public holidays. Not us TT contractors though, the 10 of us would still have to work because we were not embassy staff (even though we worked on the same teams and were doing the same jobs). Because we were hired through TT and TT didn't want to give us July 4th off, we would have to go in to work (even though the whole office was closed / everyone was out). Similarly, there was a snack area and TT staff were not allowed to take snacks or have coffee, because that was a perk for embassy staff, and we were technically TT staff (even though we all worked together and we literally did the same thing). You are basically treated differently than the entire team your working with, and TT sells this to their clients: "hire your staff through TT - they'll do the same job but you don't have to give them the same perks as your normal employees".

Companies use Tetra Tech to hire on their behalf so they don't have to treat you with the same rights as full-time, permanent employees. They can fire you, change your role, take away your leave, make you work weekends, anything - you are considered a contractor and don't have any of the rights of an employee.

Advice to Management

Stop using TT to hire people so you can do hire, fire, and use people however you like.

7. "Engineer-in-training"

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

flexible hours, work environment is at your own pace unless deadlines closing in

Cons

not a lot of mentor-ship or learning, as a junior EIT you get stuck with the work noone wants to do and you pretty much end up as a drafter

"Toxic environment, leaders who do not care"

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some learning experiences and opportunities to connect with peers

Cons

An overworked, underpaid team that is expected to work until 2 or 3 am sometimes (this is in Arlington, VA) without little to no appreciation from upper management.

Boy's club mentality- not much room for women in management conversations from what i saw/experienced

An environment where staff are in fear of their jobs. Constant gossip from all levels with a lack of transparency from upper level management.

Awful benefits, limited vacation hours and no separate sick leave.

Not much room for internal professional growth.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your leadership style and the company culture.

9. "Project Manager 1"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Tetra Tech (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and very diverse technical expertise

Cons

Leave policy not great, offices not well integrated in overall company culture

"Mid-level management"

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

- Very predicable raise (<=3%/y)
    - Easy to find a parking spot in the morning

Cons

-No flexibility: Management expects everyone to be physically in the office as long as they want. If you can't do so, you are deemed useless and management will make your feel miserable. When employees try to communicate and work out a solution, management's response is "I don't know [why you can't work as long as I need]. My wife took care of that [kids]."
    - No upward mobility: No training is provided. When employees requested to attend training, management denied the request to save money. When executives leave, they don't promote from within, they hire from outside. Most staff have the mentality that they will be (and are happy to be) staff for life. Imagine the level of enthusiasm for work.
    - Dictator style leadership: Runs from top to mid-level. If you're nice, you'll be the one being yelled at. There is only communication from top to bottom, not the other way around.

Advice to Management

This is 21st century and we live in a free country. If Tetra Tech wants to lose top talents, keep doing what you are doing.