The Hackett Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Hackett Group Chairman and CEO Ted A. Fernandez
Ted A. Fernandez

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance not always possible (in 14 reviews)

• I don't get as much 'face time' with my direct managers as I would like, or with senior management as I have at other companies (in 11 reviews)

1. "Senior Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at The Hackett Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Very smart people to work with
    -Challenging engagements
    -Not too big

Cons

Increase Bonus transparency and consistency

Advice to Management

Pay your top performers

2. "Good place, but little changes"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at The Hackett Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People tend to stick around at Hackett. They hire decent people and the company is pretty close knit as a result. You'll end up on the road with the same people for months at a time. So, you should like those around you.

My manager was a pretty decent guy and really stuck up for his people. This isn't universal as I've seen others dress down new hires on calls with 50+ people on them. That said, if you're in one of the good groups, it makes life a lot easier.

Cons

The bonuses. Every year they get cut. The last year I was there, they cut the bonus pool and used that money to do a stock buyback (see the 2015 10-k). Senior management also granted themselves a ton of stock. I billed a 600+ hour quarter all year and got 5% of what I should have gotten in bonus. Not cool guys.

Promotions are next to impossible above Director. In the 5 years I was there I saw one person on my team of 12 get promoted from Director to Sr Director. As a result, don't expect raises. My salary went up ~8% in total over 5 years. That doesn't even keep up for inflation.

On top of this, the benefits are terrible. Basic healthcare coverage just for yourself was insanely priced. I paid more for my insurance at Hackett than anywhere else I've worked.

Work/life was basically non-existent. I was on the road 5-6 days a week and worked 60-70 hour weeks.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting compensation for your employees and giving yourself bonuses. Diversify outside of Oracle. It's a sinking ship at this point as everything Oracle moves to the cloud.

3. "Shareholder Return Trumps Employee Retention"

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time

Pros

Fellow employees are fun to work with and talented at what they do. If you enjoy traveling, it is almost guaranteed that you’ll have 4 days on the road. Since there are relatively few offices in the US, Fridays are typically work from home days. The pay is good if you negotiate well up front.

Cons

There is little opportunity to set a career direction for yourself despite the firm’s annual goal setting process. Employees get assigned to projects based on simple availability and geographic proximity.
    Many times project assignments are outside an employee’s area of expertise or area of interest. It can seem like an attempt to throw bodies at a problem without taking into account an employee’s skill set.
    Since staff is so geographically disbursed, there are inherent communication problems. Human Resources, goal setting, performance reviews, and bonus distribution methods are puzzling. Promotions are unpredictable because project assignments, as mentioned above, are made to fight fires rather than develop long term skills. It takes much more effort to feel “connected” which is essential for performance appraisals. Upper management won’t reach out – you need to keep pressing, daily, by phone and email to stay noticed and market yourself for access to projects.
    There have been waves of hiring followed by waves of layoffs. This happens when business doesn’t materialize as expected or there is a sudden change of focus requiring new employee skills. There is no effort made to retain employees. Profitability, achieved by hiring staff with new skills, takes priority over the cost of training existing staff.

5. "Mgr HR Transformation"

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time

Pros

People are very knowledge and great to work with.

Cons

Work life balance not always possible

6. "Not a good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of anything good to say.

Cons

Human Resources are probably the worst resources ever: they just don't care about the employees. Consultants have to work long hours, under too much stress. But it doesn't matter, because if they need to manage quarterly earning performance to make the numbers more attractive for the CEO, they will announce lay offs. If you have good contacts (you're a good friend of the principals or you are the daughter of someone important within the company), you won't be fired. It's not possible to build a career here, and eventually you'll be replaced by remote resources in Uruguay, Mexico or Canada. The directors don’t care about their teams: they just want to keep their jobs. No training, no opportunities, no salary renegotiation, no bonus: not a good company.

Advice to Management

Nothing, because they will do wathever they want.

7. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Overall great group of people in the ranks. A hard working group seems pretty consistent at the client facing level.

Cons

I was laid off in Jan 2017 with no heads up, no performance hits and a leader in the next generation software. Not sure of the direction they are heading....

8. "Unable to scale"

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Hackett Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, if negotiated when you come in.
    Good, hardworking people in the ranks
    Generally, figure out a way to deliver quality deliverables

Cons

Poor performance feedback.
    Unrealistic utilisation and practice building expectations
    Very US centric
    Layoffs every year to manage quarterly earning performance
    Generally try to avoid paying bonuses or commissions versus using them as incentive

Advice to Management

Treat your good people well
    Be more consistent across firm in how you manage the practices
    Don't rush too quickly to judgement on peoples perfromance - they are your product to the market

9. "So close to greatness, but so far away."

Current Employee - Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at The Hackett Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quite a dynamic company. This is its strength and its weakness. On the upside, there are very few offices and if you're not at a client, there's no expectation that you would travel to the office, especially at the higher grades. Many of Hackett's staff don't even live in a city with Hackett office. Many of the staff have great background (from major consulting houses) and are generally great people.

Cons

As a small consulting company, it hasn't invested in its staff, its methodologies or its brand to the extent that the large houses have. If you are looking to grow and learn, Hackett is going to be a tough place. If you're not part of the CEO/COO inner circle, career and salary growth just isn't going to happen. People in leadership positions are driven purely by quarterly revenue goals and make many poor decisions as a result. Client turnover appears to be high with follow-on work being the exception.
    A company that calls itself an "IP-based consultancy" doesn't even have a Chief Knowledge Officer (or equivalent). Employees are expected to develop IP in their "spare" time.

Advice to Management

It is obvious that the CEO/COO are priming the company for better quarterly earnings numbers by (legally) bumping revenue and cutting all costs. Focus on longer-term strategy, even though this is not in their personal interests. Hackett has great potential, but is going to go through some years of deep pain once the current leadership moves on to realize the next level of performance.

10. "Management Consultant"

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time

Pros

- Good for professionals who can develop a strong connection with leadership

Cons

- Limited investment in professional development
    - Extremely inflexible/rigid PTO policy
    - The performance evaluation process unstructured, unhelpful, and opaque
    - Areas of interest are rarely considered during staffing

"Company review"

Pros

Good salary if well negotiated at start

Cons

Once you are in, no raise, no bonus
    Poor performance management process
    Poor communication from management
    No training to emplyees
    If not on a project, people are let
    Lack of diversity (female, minorities)