The Hanover Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter in Woodland Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter in Woodland Park, NJ

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management and Peers are helpful and great to work with

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for Management

2. "Professional & Kind"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

THG is a professional environment with unlimited opportunities. The benefits and work environment is very good. The high light for me is simply that the staff is extremely kind and positive. This is a reflection of the leadership in the organization.

Cons

The interview cycle is long and extensive. While I list it as a "con", I view it as a benefit given the type of people that work for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are going - I really like it so far !

3. "Hanover review"

Current Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Howell, MI

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, 401k company matches 6%. Coworkers are awesome. The location is good. Base salary is pretty stinking good. I like cheese and they serve cheeses items in the cafeteria

Cons

Favoritism, inconsistent. cafeteria could use more selection. They need a smoothie bar. Lower management needs more backbone. Training program is bad.

Advice to Management

Promote leaders, not yes men

4. "Solid start"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking. Somewhat flat dynamic working environment, given its size, makes for good collaboration.

Cons

Size allows for bureaucratic slowdown

5. "Professional and Great Follow-Up"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent entry level salary and benefits package effective day one with development and community programs for growth within the company

Cons

None at this time None at this time None at this time None at this time None at this time

Advice to Management

None at this time

"For some, it will be a place to retire from. Others, just a blip in your resume."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent overall company culture. Really positive about growth plans since the new CEO joined. Hanover is very engaged in the community and it is refreshing.
    They offer little perks on the main campus like same-day dry cleaning drop-off, a little convenience store, and cafeteria on site. Discounts to the Hanover Theatre in Worcester. Lots of work to be done, many hands needed. In general people are friendly.
    They are generally willing to offer additional education/training opportunities and facilitate this by bringing in external presenters. Facility is close to Rt 290, plenty of free parking, the campus grounds are beautiful and safe for midday walks. Encouragement for healthy lifestyle choices, they offer walking clubs (free) and gym membership for a fee.
    Vendor fairs are brought into the facility periodically which is a win-win for local crafters and Hanover ... it costs probably near nothing and elevates morale. They seem to be pretty reliable for paying out a small bonus and sticking with annual reviews.

Cons

The company is extremely silo'd, with difficulty getting out of its own way to accomplish goals. Some groups are far better than others to be a part of with better culture and work life balance.
    Projects are often rushed, features or corners cut to maintain the deadlines at all costs.
    Lots of wasted effort or lack of utilization of an employee's skills because of internal red tape, especially sharing technology between groups internally.
    Politics are also deep-rooted. Goals and priorities for individual employees can be hijacked by other departments leaving that person with a losing proposition of failing the wishes of either the direct manager or the "other" manager.
    Some employees have been at Hanover for 30-40 years. They are not open to change or new ideas in many cases, despite hiring new folks for "fresh perspective". As those fresh perspectives are silenced, those new folks tend to turnover quickly, with many departments struggling to keep people for more than 2 years.

Advice to Management

Align your mission priorities throughout your organization. Be aware that some upper management treats their direct staff like dirt and it is not unrecognized by those further down the chain. It makes a newer person not envision a long term future at such a company.

7. "Amazed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As someone who just joined the organization, I'm amazed at the culture. While interviewing everyone seemed friendly, upbeat and positive about the organization I a thought it was too good to be true. It's not, 5 weeks in and I'm still experiencing the same feel from people that I meet. I couldn't have made a better career decision.

Cons

No Cons as of yet.

8. "Life at the Hanover Insurance Group"

Current Employee - Rating Specialist in Salem, VA
    Current Employee - Rating Specialist in Salem, VA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, they match the 401k up to 6%

Cons

If you are a rater then they quality review your work. Even at 95% the managers have the nerve to say that is concerning. Their expectations are unbelievable.

Advice to Management

The managers over the raters need to learn how to do the job. They expect raters to do a excellent job and they don't even know how to the jobs their selves.

"Good exposure but don't expect any growth at all!"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Worcester, MA

Pros

Exposure to different functions and areas is good. Location is convenient with no traffic. Campus and amenities offered are nice.

Cons

If you're early in your career, it is impossible to grow in the accounting dept and people who are there for 20-30 years keep doing the same work over and over again. There is good amount of turnover especially folks in their early career who desire to move up. HR department works as a hindrance rather helping the employees. Good amount of politics which help some getaway with doing minimal while others work tirelessly and yet never get any recognition.

Advice to Management

Train your managers to hold some mentor like qualities to prevent high turnover. If you truly wanted to attract millennial talent, they needs to feel that they have a defined career path in order stay motivated and not leave after being frustrated with the same false promises offered year after year.

"Hanover Insurance Review"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable insurance company that has grown substantially over the last decade. I would expect that this growth trend will continue over the next 5-10 years.

Cons

Not a good home life - work balance. Additionally, does not always reward good (or great) job performance...

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees (all employees) and don't always assume that management knows all the answers. Additionally, many times, the same employees get pulled in for various committees... these committees should be opened up to all