The Hanover Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Technology Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Howell, MI

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can make your own way here. Coworkers are the best. I’ve worked here 14 years and the company has treated me well in pay, benefits and opportunity. They are progressive and embrace all ways to continue to improve.

Cons

No cons beyond normal every day work “stuff”. I’m moving on but that has nothing to do with this company. I will miss everyone and remain forever grateful as well as proud to have worked here.

Advice to Management

Jack Roche is a talented leader who should have been Fred’s successor. The short time in between damaged our culture. So grateful we again have a leader who not only holds the bar high but leads by example and values the employees.

2. "Great company, great culture, people who really care!"

Pros

Visible leadership, employee centric, great benefits, good people

Cons

Not much to say here but could benefit from updating the physical work spaces

Advice to Management

Continue to stay connected to the workforce and what matters to us.

3. "Fast paced Insurance company"

Former Employee - IT Strategy Consultant in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - IT Strategy Consultant in Worcester, MA

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Liked having the ability to work with different businesses to solve problems
    -Had great communication with other IT members

Cons

Some of the work became boring. Not a lot of flexibility for hours or working from home.

Advice to Management

Make the workplace more modern.

4. "Quality"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None. This is a great company

5. "Best Client"

Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Worcester, MA

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

one of the best clients i worked with.
    learning is a never ending process.
    communication directly with the client teaches lot much

Cons

I can say No Comments

"Used to be a solid place to work, heading downhill fast"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Benefits at Hanover are still pretty solid. The employees who work there are a great bunch.

Cons

Everything just seems to be getting worse and worse. Of course, the insurance industry is generally very unforgiving with heavy workloads, but Hanover just keeps piling it on. Work life balance is completely gone for those employees who take their career seriously.

What’s more, even as workloads increase, management seems intent on adding new metrics, policies, deadlines and requirements making the job that much harder. Every few weeks, some new initiative is introduced that only saddles employees with more responsibility and work.

The workload is driving experienced people to leave in droves. As the experienced people leave, Hanover refuses to replace them, claiming that they cannot find anyone.

As workloads increase, requirements balloon, and employees are pushed to the limit, management is also becoming more strict and overbearing. Now, the slightest slip up or error results in condemnation, even when said error would not have been considered an “error” a few months before. It is becoming clear to employees that management is out of touch. Employee morale is the lowest it’s ever been.

"Offered great experience"

Former Employee - Associate Auto Adjuster in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Auto Adjuster in Itasca, IL

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group (More than a year)

Pros

Gained valuable and transferable skills from some of the conflict.
    I had TOP NOTCH managers. I would knock on my managers cubicle and quite a few times he would literally stop what he was doing to help me out despite being busy.
    If you want to start in Insurance or claims Hanover should be the only company you consider.

Cons

Could be considered a call center
    Clients can be very deceiving to get what they want.

Advice to Management

Nothing. In the end it was my decision that I did not want to work in claims but management was ALWAYS supportive.

"PL Underwriting: Howell Office is the Red Headed Stepchild"

Current Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter in Howell, MI

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Great PTO, and some work-from-home opportunities (although inconsistent)

Cons

Outside of PTO, most other benefits are extremely sub-par (healthcare offers many options but is still expensive).

Even though the Howell office is responsible for most of the written premium of the company, employees are treated as “less than”. There is also a huge double standard between home office and field offices (case in point: Worcester has about the same number of underwriters as Howell despite the fact that Howell’s workload is much greater. Howell is required to stay open until 6pm, while home office is not. Howell underwriters are not allowed to work from home full time, but other hubs seem to have more flexibility. At times, the Worcester underwriters are secretly allowed to leave early, and Howell is not - Terrible for employee morale).

PL Underwriting management (upper management to be exact) is extremely detached from the work that their employees do every day. They constantly make decisions that are so out-of-touch with the team (and our agency partners), and take things too personally when suggestions to the contrary are made. Management constantly claims that they are open to innovation and new ways of doing things, but if you are the kind of person who challenges the status quo, your motivation will eventually be sucked dry here. The Howell Underwriting hub has had tremendous turnover issues over the last year, largely due to the issues described above.

Advice to Management

-Understand and appreciate the POV of your underwriters, who are the face of the company in many ways
    -Show more appreciation for the work that is done
    -Take the time to sit down with your employees and actually experience what they do every day
    -Stop taking constructive criticism personally and be open to new ways of doing things
    -Take responsibility for the turnover issue. The retention problems are not caused by the employees or even middle management. They are caused by upper level leadership that is detached and too stuck in their ways, and who won’t give middle management the freedom to manage in a healthy way. You can offer all the PTO in the world, but you will never retain top talent if you don’t SHOW them (not just tell them occasionally) that they are appreciated. Stop micromanaging, and stop treating each employee like a number. When you lose half of a team in a year (when they’ve had the same great manager and supervisor for several years), it’s time to start asking “why”.

9. "Claims adjuster"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great managers;laid back. Fast pace job. Constantly changing & growing with the times.

Cons

High turn over rate in claims.

Advice to Management

I understand it rolls down hill!

"The grass is the same on both sides"

Current Employee - Claims in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Claims in Worcester, MA

Pros

Freedom and empowerment to do your job
    ok salary and bonus

Cons

There is not a clear guideline that is followed and upheld by all personnel
    Work life balance is no longer balanced

Advice to Management

Review annually pay and volume of work to ensure you do not work the good people to a point where they leave the company