The Hanover Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Technology Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Howell, MI

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can make your own way here. Coworkers are the best. I’ve worked here 14 years and the company has treated me well in pay, benefits and opportunity. They are progressive and embrace all ways to continue to improve.

Cons

No cons beyond normal every day work “stuff”. I’m moving on but that has nothing to do with this company. I will miss everyone and remain forever grateful as well as proud to have worked here.

Advice to Management

Jack Roche is a talented leader who should have been Fred’s successor. The short time in between damaged our culture. So grateful we again have a leader who not only holds the bar high but leads by example and values the employees.

2. "Good company"

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Employee first society is great

Cons

Hard to get in to

3. "Training"

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    On site gym
    On site parking
    On site health assistance NP
    On site prescription concierge
    Fun seasonal events in atrium
    Still have individual cubes

Cons

Old school management
    Too many long time employees just doing the bare minimum work for their salary
    Not a team work environment
    Too much gossip and insecurity about jobs

4. "Middle Market Underwriter"

Current Employee - Middle Market Underwriter
    Current Employee - Middle Market Underwriter

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, Worcester home office provides opportunity for visibility.

Cons

Talent development program still in its infancy. Oh the job training primarily. Significant number of management hired from outside of company.

"Insurance Service Professional"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

The company really cares about its employees and that is reflected in the flexible work schedules, paid time off and benefits. Some of the friendliest people you can work with and management is very down to earth.

Cons

The job is very stressful and you honestly don't get paid enough.

6. "Bleh"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Pay is slightly higher than industry

Cons

Depends on your business unit how happy you are working

Micromanaged
    Authority undermined

Advice to Management

Have departments set up consistently

7. "Excellent Opportunity"

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

- Great management.
    - Work experience was great. Really gave me the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the insurance industry.

Cons

- Location is in Worcester.

"A Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, make your own schedule, company vehicle, health insurance, 401K retirement and stock options

Cons

If you are good at what you do, more work will be shoveled upon you from people who are not good at their job. Be prepared to do work outside of your job-title without any extra compensation. Upper-management no longer cares. All of the good managers and employees have quit, retired or were demoted due to (over-staffing) within the last year. No loyalty or common sense from upper-management.

Advice to Management

I've been with the company for about 5 years now. Things were great when Fred Eppinger was President and CEO. His replacement began the downward spiral of this company. We have since had 2 new Presidents and CEOs within a 16 month span. With the shift in leadership, moral is at an all-time low.

The company is now very frugal and has become all numbers driven with no common-sense or reasonable logic. Merit increases and bonuses are becoming very small. Workflow and corporate organization is now very chaotic. The people who work at the Howell hub are all very nervous and rumors are spreading like wildfire. I no longer have a good outlook for my future with this company... It is hard to stay motivated to work for a company when upper-management no longer cares about you...

Please let the field staff have in-person meetings! My team has not met face-to-face in nearly 2 years! How is this good for career development? I've always enjoyed having productive and recreational conversations with my co-workers. I'm the type of person who learns from other people's mistakes. Hanover used to be very generous with company outings and recreational activities. This has all come to a crashing halt! It is very difficult to blow-off steam or have a good time with my co-workers. I feel like I have no relationship with my co-workers anymore...

"Great company, even better culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company truly cares about its employees. They are adapting to new technology and changes to the industry. The benefits are great and PTO is higher than the industry average. The organizational structure makes it very easy to get to know people that are higher than you (ex: VPs). Many opportunities for exposure. The work life balance is also great. For the most part, everyone works a standard day (9-5), with the occasional overtime or weekend work. There is also flexibility around working from home.

Cons

The downside to being at a small company is lack of opportunity. There are many opportunities to move horizontally, but few to move upward. Since you work so closely with the presidents & VPs, it makes it difficult to grow.

"Excellent Company"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits, the company takes care of employees

Cons

Push you to work hard