The Hanover Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

The Hanover Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer John C. Roche
John C. Roche

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some groups are far better than others to be a part of with better culture and work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• The job itself is also a soul sucking call center job where the management is not very understanding of what the job is asking if you (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Work Comp Examiner in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Work Comp Examiner in Itasca, IL

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-load is manageable. Current mgr is interested in, and responsive to, workers' concerns/suggestions.

Cons

Claim system (as is usually the case at a multi-line insurer) is a general system mostly tailored to liability and auto claims. Work comp application is an afterthought.

"recent graduate's experience"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

They're a lot of opportunities to move around the company and learn about departments you may not have pictures yourself in originally. In addition, there is a good variety of age groups represented here. They try hard to push their technology on a limited budget and think innovatively.

Cons

Job security is not great, especially as of recent. The managers tend to only care about themselves and securing their position at the company.

Advice to Management

Take the time to ask employees about their developmental goals and strive to include them in projects that will help them succeed those goals

"Be Cautious"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hanover Insurance does have a very good pay scale.

Cons

They are not sure what they want or how to get it.
    The lower level-mid managers are desperate to prove their value and you must make them look good-no room for independent thinking!
    They laid off a very good group of employees in August 2017 without warning so don't feel too secure.
    The moral in certain departments is very poor.
    The human resource employees are NOT worthy of your trust....not the first time this has been written in the reviews.

Advice to Management

I really think the advice would likely fall on "deaf" ears.

4. "Company has good culture"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Mid-sized company, you have a lot control over projects and get to own a lot of projects

Cons

Not always promoting the right people

"Pros and Cons"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Exposure to a lot of areas, quick upward mobility

Cons

Community is lacking, compensation not great

6. "Best Career Decision I Ever Made!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for The Hanover has been one of the best career decisions I have ever made. The growth opportunities coupled with a collaborative work environment, smart people, competitive compensation and a commitment to local communities make this a terrific company for motivated individuals. In addition, the company has:

Outstanding Leadership - Jack Roche, RIchard Lavey and Bryan Salvatore are seasoned professionals that connect with employees at all levels and have deep knowledge of our industry.

Competitive benefits - The company has a generous 401(K), a strong benefits package, several onsite amenities, and thoughtful programs aimed at recognizing and rewarding employees.

Career Development - If you have a commitment to your career, this is the place to be. I have had numerous growth and learning opportunities that help me sharpen my skills and advance my expertise.

Innovation - The company is committed to innovation and creatively preparing for the future and the changing customer expectations.

Cons

None - it is a great company that CARES!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. "Growth Opportunities"

Pros

There are so many growth opportunities at The Hanover when it comes to both professional and career development. They offer online and in-person courses to further your education and skill-set as well as job-shadows and mentoring.

In addition, there is a ton of career development opportunities that allow you to work with others outside of your departments on projects that matter and drive business growth.

Cons

While there have been some changes in senior management over the past few years, it has better positioned The Hanover for future growth.

8. "Great people, great company"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with and have found it to be a great place to build a career. The benefits and work-life balance is also a plus. They've put an emphasis on innovation, which has made it an exciting time to be at the company. I've found the work to be fast-paced, varied and meaningful. There's room to grow and opportunities to move to new roles if desired. Ideas and thoughts are requested and valued by management, which contributes to a collaborative environment.

Cons

Not so much a con for the company, but the insurance industry as a whole tends to be on the traditional side and isn't always the first to adapt to new workplace practices. That being said, I think The Hanover has made important steps to help foster a more modern workplace and I appreciate the focus on innovation.

9. "Underwriting Technician"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of the most flexible and generally employee oriented companies I have ever worked for. I honestly love this company and the opportunities that it has to offer.

Cons

They recently changed the Time off Schedule. We are now on a PTO bank, but we lost 10 sick days. I honestly loved the previous Time off allotment, I'm not a huge fan of change.

Advice to Management

Possibly look to tweek the original Time Off schedule we had before we moved to straight PTO. I know that lot of people were upset about it. I would've given the company 5 stars if it weren't for this change.

10. "Claims Services Specialist"

Current Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Howell, MI

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and good managers in this area. Also pay is good for what you do. Good benefits and great company 401k match.

Cons

Constantly answering phone calls from sometimes demanding customers. Repetitive work. When you are ready for more specialized responsibilities takes forever for training even when there is an obvious need.

Advice to Management

Train employees when then are ready. Not enough people to manage special accounts.