The RealReal Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

3.1
The RealReal Founder & CEO Julie Wainwright
Julie Wainwright
Pros
  • "They give free lunch Mondays and pizza once every month(in 34 reviews)

• "I was recently interviewed for an RCS position at The RealReal and I must say this has to be one of my most efficient processes I've ever done(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The new managers are horrible and start high school drama within the team(in 30 reviews)

• "Narcissism is rampant among upper management(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of The RealReal and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, exciting work, fast paced, innovative

Apr 29, 2021 - Operations in Jersey City, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company is fast growing, lots of room for growth and innovation

Cons

Work can be repetitive but you are always learning

2. 4.0

Great!

Feb 25, 2021 - Business Development Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

For a position that is mostly dedicated for recent grads, the pay is great! I don't know of an entry level position that will pay the same in retail. Management is wonderful and do not micromanage whatsoever. As someone who likes to work independently, this is very much appreciated. If you're doing your job, you're fine. Security. I feel secure in my position, not worried at all about ever being laid off or anything of the sort, even if I do miss hitting my goal (you definitely don't want to because you will miss out on commission). Coworkers are also wonderful and everyone works well with each other. Constant trainings as well as touch-bases with management, BDR's always sharing tips with one another, and overall not a super-stressful environment for a sales job. Hours!!!! Basically a 9-5, which is hard to find nowadays! Fully remote which means a lot more time for yourself. You can easily grow within the company! I see it happen all the time.

Cons

Does not feel like a career in fashion, it's a bit more tech-y. Monthly quotas can be pretty high which means you may have to work some overtime each week (usually 4-5 hours the last 2 weeks of the month, so not too horrible). Lots and lots of calls each day. Can get annoying, but you do get used to it eventually. They aren't necessarily cold calls though, so it isn't the worst. New employees have to work a weekend day, however, this can also be a pro as you do usually hit your goal sooner when you work weekends.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Working at TRR

Mar 19, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* kind, humble, intelligent coworkers * extremely inclusive environment (60% of board members are female) * management listens and makes changes based on requests (we use OfficeVibe to get an idea of how people are feeling) * challenging, complex technical features (this is considered a pro because the problems we're solving are very interesting from a technological perspective) * Julie Wainwright. She is so approachable and down-to-earth, but also a fierce promoter of equity, inclusion, sustainability, and change * focus on social impact. We sponsor Black Girls Code, One Tree Planted, Black Retail Action Group (BRAG), Nurse Heroes, UN’s Fashion Industry Charter for Climate Action * employee resource groups that support communities in our company (Black Employee Network, Latinx, LGBTQ+, Asian Pacific American, Women, Veterans & Military Families) * continued education. We have specialized groups (frontend, elixir, database, kafka, etc) led by subject matter experts who hold trainings, discuss new and upcoming technologies, and best practices. * stock options * everything

Cons

* SF office is far from public transit (but it has gorgeous waterfront views). This isn't really applicable now since we're still working remotely, but I'm not looking forward to having to drive to Bart, Bart to downtown, then take a shuttle to the office again. But, frankly, this is the only thing I could think of.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The RealReal is for people who don’t like boring

Mar 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is a lot of education around circular economy, the business model and anything else you can think of. Most of it is easily accessible on your own if you pay attention in onboarding. Plenty of opportunity to explore different areas of the business. There is always something new happening. If you don’t like boring desk jobs this is the place for you. Stock perks. All of the kinds insurance you could think of. Travel, pet, anything. Most of your coworkers will be amazing, creative and so cool.

Cons

The sick pay is your PTO. I shouldn’t have to choose between taking a vacation and taking sick days off. Sick days ≠ vacation. Middle managers do not care about people. My entire store was forced to come in during a historic snow storm just to be sent back home within a couple hours. There was no offer to cover the $50-60 Uber rides or even an apology. They treat you like children. My store is top preforming and the congratulations from store managers are shout outs in meetings and morning stretches? Very kindergarten.

5. 5.0

The real deal!

Apr 15, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

As someone who has worked for mainly large Fortune 500 companies, The RealReal is a breath of fresh air. As a growth company, we have a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and this provides plenty of ways to get directly involved and contribute toward the continued growth of the company. I am inspired by the social purpose of TRR's mission to reimagine the retail industry as a circular economy, and it's the first time in my career working for a place where I am also a customer, and most recently a consignor! Come grow your career with us!

Cons

As a growth company, there is plenty to do and to build. A fast paced entrepreneurial environment may not work well for everyone, but if that's where you get your energy, this is the place for you!

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worthless Job

Apr 30, 2021 - Business Development Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is a somewhat fun team with everyone is young and similar in age. There is a good sense of a team dynamic and very team-focused.

Cons

This is the WORST company to work for. There is no upward mobility in this position. I worked here for almost 2 years and I was not given a promotion or raise once. We were on "sales," but it was a glorified customer service position since the leads already knew of us. There was no "selling" whatsoever and we were paid so little that one could barely afford to live in LA. Every day was the same, so repetitive, and with no chance to move up, there is a lack of motivation on the team. Management is decent but does not care about their reps because there is never any "recognition" or "reward" for doing well and hitting goals. I would not recommend working here.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

What a doozy!

Apr 27, 2021 - Account Luxury Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The concept of TRR is the best part and what attracted me to the company - unfortunately, it's only on paper. All the would-be "Pros" outside of the business model/mission is just non existent in my opinion.

Cons

Where do I start.... from the Onboarding process (2 weeks of what felt like community college) to the amount of change I witnessed in such a short timeframe, to the very low salary/guise of an uncapped bonus that doesn't even matter if it's uncapped as it's so hard to get in the first place - which leads me to the last but not least con: THE GASLIGHTING. It's just sickening bc all the coaching, micromanaging, and the incessant meetings are all a farce.. Long story short: this company would be better off if they kept it REAL with you from the beginning and laid it all out on the table and had you decide your own fate. It's a rude awakening otherwise. This position is all about luck and your base. If you inherit a great base you're set for success but if not, gird your loins!

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Be your own. boss, but with backing of a great company & team!

Feb 1, 2021 - Account Luxury Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent onboarding, systems and equipment to hit the ground running. Open lines of communication up the chain allows you to voice challenges and get support. The daily interaction with your team via chat helps motivate and resolve any questions as you ramp up in your role. As an ALM I enjoy interacting with our clients and helping them have a successful consignment experience. Plus, we're keeping luxury goods in circulation and contributing to the circular fashion movement- win-win-win

Cons

Starting pay is a little lower than I would have liked, but so grateful to have a base pay and ability to earn a monthly bonus. Onboarding first two weeks allows to get acquainted with systems, although more work needs to be done to tailor learnings for different roles. Needed less about company history and what we accept, and more on how to be successful right away, using the systems to have info needed to reach out to clients. but overall, still happy with this company, they aspire to the right goals for their people.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stay far far away- awful company to work for!

Apr 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

401k matching (25% after first year) Lunch plan

Cons

No raise potential at all- if you go above and beyond your job AND work IN PERSON through an entire pandemic THROUGH our cities’ shelter-in-place order you MIGHT get lucky with an 80 cent hourly raise (most of my coworkers got even less) Zero upward mobility (even though HR will lie to you as they’re hiring you) No work-life balance if your department is in anyway tied to the retail locations (I had to come in for my shift on NYE even though there was absolutely no work to do) Unprepared management - on my third manager this year HR will either gaslight you or completely ignore you (my assigned HR rep has never answered any of my emails) Company policy can change in an instant without them ever telling you

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Successful Business Plan, Poor Upper Management and Lack of Work/Life Balance

Jan 12, 2021 - Account Luxury Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-successful business plan -a public company as of 2019 -generous commission structure -fun company events -work from home -internal competitions with potential to receive bonus cash/site credit

Cons

-working over time every single day, 7 days a week in order to meet business needs -even though you're working over time it is never enough for the upper management. They do not reward you in any way except for maybe a site credit bonus here and there. -They cracked down on PTO ever since they went public, extremely hard to even get a weekend off -TONS OF DRIVING, was in the car 8 hours of the day. And If you weren't in the car for that long you most likely were not achieving your targeted goals. -Had to ship tons of HEAVY bags daily with annoying UPS staff. -Always on the phone they give you -Clients for the most part are super rude. The manager generally always takes their side. -Takes months to master balancing your time/schedule for this job. -Truly this was a job for 6 people in 1. -Management super snobby, unhelpful, and stressed beyond belief. -Do not follow through with promotions or transfers when promised -HIGH TURNOVER RATE

5 people found this review helpful

The RealReal Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are happy to hear that you valued our company culture and perks. As we continue to innovate and scale, we are focused on rewarding productivity and identifying how we can better drive structural efficiency. Improvement is something we constantly strive for and your feedback has been helpful in understanding how we can evolve.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 557 Reviews