The RealReal Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 18, 2019

The RealReal Founder & CEO Julie Wainwright
Julie Wainwright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The Company Has Consideration Towards The Company By Preparing Free Lunch,Breakfast And Much More" (in 21 reviews)

• "Free bagels on Fridays, catered lunch during overtime week," (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Its hard to maintain a healthy work-life balance when working here" (in 17 reviews)

• "Similar to the environment of junior year in high school" (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'm proud to be part of the team!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely positive and friendly staff, willing to act as resources for new employees and fellow teammates.
    Open and creative environment - people are open to express themselves, there is heavy communication across departments, and fun team-building exercises for the whole office
    SO much room for growth - managers are constantly encouraging internal growth and looking to colleagues for referrals and innovative solutions
    The CEO has an amazing story and her strength and mindset are portrayed through the company and its team.
    Work is administered to employees as they can handle - I have yet to work extensive hours because I handle my time wisely. There is a firm value of a work/life balance!

Cons

It's hard to meet all of the high-level directors or executives of each department because their plates are so full, but they are always open and friendly via email.

Jan 9, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write this, and we're delighted to know how happy you are. We are so glad you are part of the team!

2. "Very generous place to work"

Current Employee - Copy Writer in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Copy Writer in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this place! I have been with the company now 7 months and have had an awesome experience. I think the company is super generous - we get lunch and food onsite what seems nearly everyday. Free bagels, pizza and cupcakes. We also have awesome lunch options onsite. I travel on trains and it so awesome that the company provides shuttle service from the train station to the office and back. I also think the time off is really generous I can take up to 28 days off a year and carry over or get my PTO paid out if I choose. I hear people complaining but I think there are lots of people here who have never worked and they don’t realize how good it is here compared to other place - could be why I met so many people so far that left and came back. I guess they learned the grass is not always greener.

Cons

It stinks sometimes to have to work holidays but coming from retail that is not so uncommon and it is on a volunteer basis anyway.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more information about how the company is doing it seems to be difficult to get.

"I love TRR!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, Management, Schedule, Location, Bagel Fridays, Unlimited coffee!

Cons

I can't think of anything, I love working at TRR

4. "Great place to work at"

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunches. Shuttle to train. Good flexible hours.

Cons

Long hours with a lot of work.

5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair managers, free food sometimes, overtime is offered

Cons

On your feet most of the day, not a lot of employee break areas

"Ideal for Recent Grads or Someone"

Current Employee - Copy Writer
    Current Employee - Copy Writer

I have been working at The RealReal full-time

Pros

I will always point out the positive in anything prior to pointing out the negative. Here at The RealReal it’s an way place to learn about key industry trends consindering it’s necessary to stay abreast on certain things as a copywriter. They do feed you weekly and provide bagels every Friday.

Cons

The downsides to working here, I’ll just list them below;
    • underpaid
    • copywriters are not valued( so if you do get job here just make sure it’s in management) that is the only way the company will respect you and care about what you have to say.
    • there is constant change every week.
    • promoting people who are not qualified
    • lack of communication from upper management
    • the company does not set you up for success within the company. They don’t anticipate copywriters to want to move out of the role and if so expect to be in that role for a very long time.

Advice to Management

Be more attentive to the professional needs to those who are not in management. They way the company treats the warehouse workers deters them from wanting to say with the company. Consider paying them more.

Feb 28, 2019

Thank you for providing us with your feedback, we truly appreciate the opportunity to do better. We value all of our employees and aim to support their growth within the company. Our HR team in... More

7. "I worked Temporarily for 3 months."

Former Employee - Temp Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Temp Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at The RealReal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Working Environment. They encourage you to move up.

Cons

No Cons in my experience.

8. "Investments are Working!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth and opportunities. The business is growing quickly and anyone can still have a substantial impact on the company's success. You are in control of your own success and if you hustle hard to hit your quota, you can benefit from uncapped commission.

Cons

The business changes courses quickly and to be successful you must be nimble.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in training and development of individual contributors and management. The investment is paying off!

Mar 4, 2019

Thank you for your review! We love our IS team!

9. "Inside Sales Team (SDR Review)"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

***This review is for the Inside Sales Team, and specifically the SDR role*** I have been employed at The RealReal for 3 years.

Over the past 3 years, I have seen the company grow from 500 employees to 2,000+ employees. I have been promoted twice, and gained numerous professional and interpersonal skills from working here.

I began my time at The RealReal as a recent college graduate. I was initially hired for the role of Lead Qualification Representative, also known as Business Development Representative. After proving my "chops" in this role I was promoted to the Sales Development Representative role after around 1 year. While sales development is not typically closing role at other companies, it is a closing role at TRR. Our Client Account Representatives, or CAR team handles account management here.

A big plus of working here is that our sales team is like a family. Quotas are distributed by territory teams, so there isn't the typical competitive sales mentality here. We are bi-coastal with half of us in SF and the other half in NYC. It is a great close knit group of employees, and I look forward to coming to work every day. I work with some of the best and brightest people and have made several friendships here that I know will last a lifetime.

Cons

Although we are more mature than a startup, it is still very much "startup mentality" here. Being able to quickly adapt to change is important. Internal systems are still being built out, and are not always working as well as expected. You will wear several hats in whatever role you are in.

Promotions/advancements are not handed out automatically. I've had to apply for and interview for each of the internal promotions I have received. If you want to work here and be successful, expect to work hard every day, and continuously prove your value to the team.

Advice to Management

Actively listen to the sales team about any concerns or pain points. While it is totally understandable that issues cannot be corrected instantly, the sales team works with company systems and clients every day and would be great consultants in these matters as people on the front lines.

Asking more questions about challenges and different initiatives before they are rolled out would be great as well. Positive change starts from within, and talking with the sales team regularly is the best way to gauge team morale and any issues that need resolving.

Mar 4, 2019

Thank you so much for your review! You have an amazing growth story and we are so lucky you have chosen to grow your career with us. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback!

"Luxury manager"

Pros

Positive atmosphere. Great benefits. Create your own schedule. Attainable commission goals

Cons

Lack of accountability/problem solving in customer relations which leads to apologizing/losing clients when it’s out of your control

Advice to Management

More training and monitoring of process in the warehouse. Take advantage of training opportunities

Feb 28, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate the opportunity to do better and will consider the feedback provided. We love our Sales team!