Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some great people in this business (in 11 reviews)

• people, culture, buzz and ability to manage your work life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours over and above core hours are not recognised (in 14 reviews)

• No clear direction from Senior Management (in 9 reviews)

1. "Very good company"

Former Employee - Market Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Market Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful people who show a passion. Dynamic organization that promotes from within where it makes sense. Great external development plan.

Cons

Checks and balances were weak. Subsidiaries not aligned to parent strategy. Salaries were below market averages.

Advice to Management

Leverage your core assets and look for partnerships to get you to the next level.

2. "A great platform for young adults entering the world of work"

Former Employee - Team Manager/Placements Executive in Palma de Mallorca (Spain)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences
    Learn to work with and experience other cultures
    Develop a strong skill set in dealing with all kinds of situations
    The role of an overseas representative has so many career development opportunities especially in a company such as TC

Cons

There will always be difficult days, you´ll be tired, you´ll miss home, you´ll always want to earn more money. For every difficult day overseas there are 10 amazing, brilliant and unique days.

Advice to Management

I still consider many of the managers based in destination support as role models and I wouldn´t be where I am now in my career without the support and investment from them.

3. "Sales"

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

Good Learning, Open, Exposure atmosphere

Cons

Nothing in particular that needs a mention

4. "Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Product Owner in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Owner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well known brand, great benefits, interesting industry, employees are trusted with responsibilities and initiatives, all in all a good company to work with

Cons

Size, speed of change, turnover, complex industry with many interconnected systems that make it difficult to change quickly and innovate

5. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed working environment, good culture, concessions are better the longer you work for the company, good performance management, company values are customer centric and can be implemented into all job roles across the business

Cons

Work / life balance could be improved, career progression can be limited within your field however there are opportunities to apply for jobs in other departments, salaries are not reflective of the work done/hours worked in some departments

Sep 25, 2017 – Resourcing Apprentice

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback on how we are doing, we really appreciate that!

6. "Exceptional Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Senior Learning and Development Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of start/finish times at the Peterborough head office on Lynch Wood is great.

Excellent induction and on-going training at all levels. The UK&I L&D team has recently introduced a brand new Retail induction including a 4-day residential training course delivered at head office. Managers also receive a 3 or 5 day managers' induction depending on which area of the business they work in.

A new suite of 18 business and soft-skills workshops is also available to all colleagues and there is a fantastic online training portal called The Academy.

Good company benefits available to all colleagues, including good holiday discounts, childcare vouchers, ability to buy/sell annual leave etc.

Autonomy of decision-making for managers is good - you can take real ownership and responsibility for your team, which speeds up decisions.

Age isn't a barrier to career progression here, with lots of younger colleagues holding senior roles.

Cons

Standard annual leave allocation is quite low at 23 days or 25 for managers. However this can be topped up with up to 5 additional days annual leave as part of the salary sacrifice scheme.

The business is always very busy with lots of projects on the go, so there can be a work hard/play hard culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - I think you're getting it just about spot on!

7. "Overseas rep"

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

Great experience and opportunity hard work but rewarding

Cons

Being in a close net team 24/7 can be hard sometimes management can be really picky and have their favourites

Advice to Management

Get to know your staff members and don't pick favourites. Be fair and supportive

8. "Not an Analyst role."

Current Employee - Revenue Management Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Revenue Management Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good work life balance. Work will stay in the office.
    - Recently renovated offices.
    - Academy training programmes (not role specific though)
    - Good synergy between different teams across the business.
    - Thorough induction
    - Travel benefits are excellent.

Cons

- The role is purely an implementer job, the limited systems mean the majority of your time will be fixing issues or running tasks which can easily be automated. The role involves little to no financial analysis or training to do so.
    - Negative outlook on performance, people going above and beyond in the role are not recognised for their achievements.
    - Poor compensation package compared to industry standard's for this role.
    - No clear company vision. Same mistakes repeated year after year with next to no learning from upper management.
    - Management roles on service length rather than merit. Limited career opportunities within this role.
    - Higher management seem to have little to no trust in the Revenue Analysts. Future of the role seems bleak.

Advice to Management

Listen to your analysts more, we're right in the heart of current trading!

Sep 25, 2017 – Resourcing Apprentice

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback we really appreciate that, we also listen to what people say and take everything on board, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

9. "Solid company to work for"

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

Strong trading culture, with huge amount of autonomy.

Cons

Salary is low and the life work balance can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Negotiate hard to get a strong deal when entering - there is money there and they do pay for the right talent

10. "Friendly work place with good benefits"

Pros

Friendly
    Good Benefits for employees
    Interesting Business
    Multinational

Cons

Slow decision processes
    Some areas seem to lose touch with others leading to poor communication and decision making

Sep 11, 2017 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback we really appreciate that.