Trifacta Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Adam Wilson

1. "Hitting Our Stride"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trifacta full-time

Pros

Many pros... the company is flexible with discretionary time off, working remotely, finding work/life balance, celebrating victories with happy hours and even trips, competitive compensation, great office location, incredibly bright employees, many genuine people and fun office environment... to name a few. We are at the forefront of our field and we're creating the blueprints for what data cleansing, data prep and data wrangling will look like now and in the future.

Cons

The company hit a bit of a rough patch last year, requiring some shifting of priorities and resources. We hit that point of transitioning from start-up mindset to legitimate business and industry leader... and some changes were necessary to make that leap. Things were a bit shaky for a minute but the new direction Trifacta adopted has proven itself to be the right choice. Nothing is a guarantee in life, certainly not in business, but with the current trajectory, I'm confident doubling down on Trifacta is a gamble that will pay off. The company's success is moving rapidly in a positive direction and continues to lead the way in our industry.

Advice to Management

You do a lot of things right... and there is still room for improvement. It is important to bring the team onto the same page. Sometimes communication on topics falls short of completion. Be mindful of your team and maintain a level of humility in your leadership and values. We are all on the same team and we should all be team players.

"Structural cracks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Pines, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Pines, CO

I worked at Trifacta full-time

Pros

Cool product, lots of smart people, great space to be in right now.

Cons

Trifacta, like many startups is growing very rapidly, and seems to think everyone will just accept the pains associated with growth because it's what a startup is supposed to be like. They have chosen to only hirer thru personal networks, which means there are very few candidates for each opening and they are no longer getting A players. For a ~100 person outfit, there is way to much politics, back-stabbing and general BS going on.

As they have grown, team members who were individual contributors are now managers, and this is where the most serious problems lie. Being a good manager is very different from contributor, and a result is they have lost over 50% of the pre-sales team over the past 6mos.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge and commit to fixing the mid-management problems. The most important aspect of a startup is TRUST and shared values and there are way too many people in multiple orgs who no longer subscribe to the vision and are just biding time waiting for a better opportunity to present itself.

Align with 3-4 good high tech recruiting agencies and start 'filling the funnel' of good candidates. Trifacta is hugely popular right now, and with a little effort can incentivize awesome people to join.

"Potential that went nowhere."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Lots of smart people.
    Great office location.
    All the "typical startup" perks.
    The feeling that, if successful, the app could be used in just about every business that has gathered a fair bit of data.

Cons

Too many people with too high of an opinion of themselves refusing to listen to ideas that do not match their own plan of attack.
    Resistance to changes that can help the team as a whole and instead do whatever they want and then wonder why things are failing and falling down around them.
    Engineering spending so much time investing in one tool only to shutter it because someone else thinks they can do better only to shutter that one too because they don't know what they are doing.
    Starting to sell Vaporware which may, or may not fit into the product vision.
    No product vision because the team that should be doing that is doing anything except for that.

All in all... Sales says that company X needs something to do a deal, then that becomes engineering's next priority item to get out right away no matter how feasible, stable, or fitting to the long term product strategy. Product Management is pretty much not involved at all.

Advice to Management

Restructure your teams. Managers of a team do not get to be a manager just because they are the smartest or been there the longest.
    Listen to people that you hire that have a knowledge expertise. Someone that is expert in X, saying that in order for X to work well, you need to do Y means if you want X, then do Y. Don't tell them they don't what they are talking about and push them away.
    Figure out what Trifacta is supposed to be now, 6 months from now, a year from now, and 5 years from now and execute on that.
    Stop trying to do whatever is going to get the next deal signed and then let that feature sit 80% done for the next 6 months trying to find time to finish it.

"A Sinking Boat. Another Startup Failure."

I worked at Trifacta full-time

Pros

Big Data is a hot on the market. A number of great employees. A great office location on Market Street.

Cons

In Feb. 2016, Trifacta raised venture capital of $35M that they're planning to spend on new engineering management and few down-to-Earth senior software engineers. Previous A, B, and C series capital ejections were spent on enthusiastic software engineers with PHD degrees, no work experience and a big self-opinion. The kids made big mess and blamed QA manager and his team for the quality issues, and VPE - for "doing nothing". As a result they all got fired. Current engineers aren't happy and hate standing on daily scrums they have to. People don't smile. The workspace has no positive energy flow. No faith.

Advice to Management

Please resign or close the business and contribute company assets to charities - this is the best you can do. Please stop writing 5 stars reviews here, misleading potential candidates.

"strong position in an emerging market"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trifacta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ deep commitment throughout the company to succeed
    + truly easy-to-learn product
    + amazing marketing efforts leveraging the pedigree of the company and it's early decision to focus on the hadoop ecosystem

Cons

+ market developing slowly -- driven by organizational shifts in customer organizations
    + cross-product integrations consume a lot of development and testing resourcing, slowing core product development velocity

Advice to Management

Find ways to speed up the market. Lead customers through the necessary transitions to become legitimately data driven. Leverage partnerships and alliances in this broad marketing effort.

"Challenging, Fun, Unique"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great mix of people and ideas .. product/eng people with uniquely diverse mix of backgrounds in systems, UI design, and machine learning ... seasoned sales/marketing people who know how to win deals at Fortune 500 companies ... good mix of energetic recent grads and experienced senior folks ... experienced leadership ... brilliant people all round. Big emphasis on smarts across roles. Team thinks hard, has fun, respects each other. Strong female role models in various positions. Overall strategy has been steady and focused -- established the data wrangling market and now building it bigger.

Cons

Typical startup challenges -- limited resources and too many opportunities to chase means that you have to turn your back on some interesting things in order to do others more deeply.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparent, positive, confident culture. Continue doing things like Above & Beyond awards to recognize employee contributions. Would be great to see even more opportunities for career coaching.

"You Should Be Working Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trifacta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I come from a UC, which is considered moderately prestigious in the world of higher education. That being said, I have never been surrounded by such a high concentration of intelligence and knowledge as I have here at Trifacta. I am constantly amazed by the level of intellect that resides in our office. If you are motivated and inspired by top level collaboration with the best minds in the tech field, then this is your place. In addition, we have unlimited vacation time, office vacations (i.e. Hawaii and Napa wine tours), happy hours offsite, video games, ping pong, open floor layout, even catered lunches. This company knows how to work hard and exceed expectations; we are motivated and goal-oriented. We also know how to relax and have fun. We respect the importance of living a well-balanced lifestyle.

Cons

The team is made up of the intellectual elite and with the bar set so high, the level of expectation for each employee is high. You have to be prepared to meet or beat expectations. We support each other and help each other to succeed but we do also expect you to carry your share of the work load. This is not necessarily a "con" but it can be for someone who is not self-motivated.

Advice to Management

It is apparent you are taking a lot of time to address each person's concerns or questions and providing structure and support to the team. I appreciate the efforts you have made to support the team and your attention to us has made my experience working here that much better. Thank you!

8. "“Awesome product, unique culture, great people ”"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trifacta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Trifacta has an amazing solution that is growing in adoption and currently used by leading companies changing the way they prep data. The culture is fun, fast and competitive. The people are smart, friendly and eager to help and share knowledge.

Cons

I have yet to experience any. If you don't like a fast pace and constant change, then probably not the place for you. But if you want to have a blast building a growing company, you'll enjoy the challenge!

Advice to Management

None at this time

"Excellent team, valuable product"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trifacta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Constantly working on challenging problems
    - Great place to be to learn and develop best practices in UX, web dev, and data transformation
    - My input is listened to and respected, and I feel that I have the leeway and the opportunity to impact our core architecture
    - My coworkers are a pleasure to work with

Cons

- Not a con for everyone, but it is necessary to be self-directed and self-motivated to do well at Trifacta. We haven't made mentorship a priority.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see more resources allocated to professional development, particularly of the cross-disciplinary variety: data visualization classes, statistics classes, sales classes, etc.

"One of the best job experiences to date, a rare environment to learn something new every day and ENJOY being at work."

I have been working at Trifacta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smartest people around, seriously SMART, more than 1/2 the company have an advanced degree in a pertinent field, yet everyone is humble and fun to be around. It's the ultimate place to learn while building a fantastic product together. Very social environment, management is surprisingly accessible and down to earth, also willing to listen to feedback. A good mix of young and seasoned talent in the company, making for a diverse working environment.

Technology and focus on user experience and design is a differentiator, blazing trails in trying to bring consumer level experience to an enterprise product. Broad range of opportunities in exploring different facets of building and shipping real world software.

Cons

Growing pains, like every startup. Need to spend more time in mentoring and building up the next level of leaders within the company. Need to hire more seasoned talent into all the groups. More management training is required for some of the new managers.

Advice to Management

Focus on execution, avoid some of the noise both internally and externally. The company has huge potential ahead, but it requires coordination and alignment, which isn't always easy at this stage. Things have been trending in the right direction, don't be afraid to make changes if they are needed. Please focus on providing more mentorship and leadership training.