TrueCar Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2020

2.8
TrueCar Interim President and CEO  Michael Darrow
Michael Darrow
Pros
  • "New strong leadership, intelligent and motivated coworkers, great benefits, and managers focused on individuals career progression(in 28 reviews)

• "Beautiful offices in 4 great cities: Santa Monica, San Francisco, Austin, and Denver(in 21 reviews)

1. "Good time to join"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at TrueCar full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Beautiful office -Complete tech stack refactor is now allowing for rapid development -Lots of low hanging fruit that can push the business forward -Well funded and stable in the event of a recession

Cons

-Past challenges to the business have left some employees jaded and unmotivated -Not everything is well documented

TrueCar2020-02-02
  2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at TrueCar full-time

Pros

Fun place to work. Can make a lot of money

Cons

Open space type environment. Wish there was more privacy

TrueCar2020-06-03

"It was a fun place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Frontend Architecture

I worked at TrueCar full-time

Pros

It was a really fun place to work, especially with a lot of the people who are unfortunately no longer there.

Cons

A lot of the people who made it fun left.

TrueCar2020-05-22

"Too much instability...decent benefits though"

2.0
    Former Employee - Client Success Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at TrueCar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Austin office was a great work environment by way of location, up to date infrastructure, and friendly peers.

Cons

Too many changes too quickly. After working 4 years at this company, there have been 4 structure changes, and 2 major layoffs. Most recent occurred May 2020 releasing 219 employees. Fair severances were provided, but the company could have done much more to maintain their staff.

TrueCar2020-05-29

"Product lacked vision and direction"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at TrueCar full-time

Pros

Laid back work environment for the most part, until business started going bad.

Cons

Product lacked vision and direction at the time I was there

TrueCar2020-05-09
  6. "Don’t look anywhere else. This is the place for you!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at TrueCar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1.) I don’t know about you, but I like gambling. I always enjoy my annual trip to Vegas to play the slots and push my luck. When I can’t get to vegas, truecar has given me my fix. You see, every 6-9 months, we have layoffs. Some of us like to place wagers - who's getting canned next. The layoffs don't seem associated with skill or performance, so it's more like a roll of the dice on who will go. All the more exciting, you know? 2.) I also like adventure sports. While most of my friends like it when their stocks rise, for me it's been fun watching the freefall. Watching my stock price drop from $20 per share down to the $2-$3 level reminds me of skydiving. Which is awesome! One of my favorite hobbies. 3.) I don't know about you, but I love meeting new people. Here, leadership changes every year. We've had multiple ceos, cfos, ctos, and chiefs of any department you can think of. Also, vps, svps, and middle management is a revolving door. Awesome! It’s made for an exciting atmosphere, always adapting to new vision and direction from the ever changing leadership. 4.) Very forward-looking product when I joined. While we haven't really changed the product much over the last few years, I personally like the retro vibe. Oh, we did update our brand. New imaging and logo. Really pretty much the same product, which is all the more awesome. 5.) Culture. What can I say that hasn't been captured in other reviews. HR is the dept that’s probably seen the most turnover. How many heads of hr have we had since I’ve been here? I’ve lost count. I wonder why they all keep leaving?

Cons

While the location is off the rails- SM promenade, it's not so great right now because of covid. Not really your fault, truecar. But I gotta put something down here for a con, right?

TrueCar2020-06-03

"Challenging and Tough Road Ahead"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at TrueCar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent compensation, autonomy to run at projects, some great colleagues.

Cons

90% of the company is all sizzle and no steak, the other 10% keep it on life support. Lots of buzz words get tossed around but nothing gets done. Failing managers who get defensive when something is challenged. Zero accountability, no career direction, no merit to promotions, highly paid seniors that add little value, toxic culture.

TrueCar2020-05-01

"Great colleagues, terrible management"

1.0

I have been working at TrueCar

Pros

- flexible hours, depending on your manager - awesome beach location - colleagues were top notch people

Cons

No professional development. If you’re looking to grow, go elsewhere. Even if you seek it out, it’s difficult to find as managers want their teams to stay intact so they don’t have to hire new people. My goal was to work in a different department and I had been very open during my interview to my first day as to what I was looking for in my career. When I would seek out development opportunities, I’d be told that’s not the reason I was hired. I had to sneak around to get learning and development opportunities. Promotions are seemingly non existent and you’ll probably never get a raise, just more worthless RSUs.

TrueCar2020-03-04

"Great company, smart people, and renewed momentum!"

Current Employee - Director, Finance in Austin, TX

I have been working at TrueCar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

New strong leadership, intelligent and motivated coworkers, great benefits, and managers focused on individuals career progression.

Cons

Only con could also be a pro depending on who you ask, but internal structure / responsibilities aren’t always crystal clear. This does allow motivated individuals to stretch outside their role and bolster their experience however.

TrueCar2020-01-26

"Miserable company going down the drain"

Current Employee - Business in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at TrueCar full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are very little. I suppose the fact everyone has left or been fired and those remain run around with no clue or sense of direction makes it easy to set a low bar. The pay is fine but with the stock where it is, total comp is a joke. They have been giving out solid bonuses but word on the street is that process is changing and probably won't be around much longer.

Cons

Pretty much all of it. Between the layoffs, the missed goals, the lack of direction, it is seemingly a dying company. Oh yeah, I forgot, they just announced one of the longest standing and by far most substantial partner is leaving in 6 months. This partner was a maybe chunk of our revenue stream. Well, you do the math. Overall politics, inexperience, along with some stupidity has led us down this path. No turning back now.

TrueCar2020-02-28