Trulia Reviews

Updated Mar 14, 2021

3.7
Trulia CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance and flexible vacation policy(in 35 reviews)

• "in short friendly atmosphere, Great benefits, competitive salaries with limitless earnings in sales(in 25 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Step sister brand to Zillow with no true future path forward(in 34 reviews)

• "At trulia the inside sales position is a grind, but what isn't(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Sep 26, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very open work climate: hierarchal structure almost seems non existent. VPs working next to interns, easy to communicate with anyone and everyone, and great team environment .

Cons

None that I can think of

VP of Engineering

Thank you for your review. A collaborative environment is important to us - it helps us innovate, and move fast and think big. Glad you enjoy working here.

2. 3.0

a long time ago

Mar 14, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

fun place to work while it lasted

Cons

comoany got bought out... take over

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Trulia sinking fast...really fast

Jun 7, 2019 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

free food, commuter benefits, Health

Cons

In short a lot that you can count. I am highlighting a few. .... To start with, politics and favoritisms are two big things which is letting Trulia down. So many people are leaving and Management is so scared that they are not allowing them to write a farewell mail to their colleagues. Its has become boy's club. Constantly changing directing and technology is killing the productivity. Zillow's biggest mistake is Trulia. Work from home is a myth and non existing. (Do not be fooled if your recruiter tells you it exists)

9 people found this review helpful

CTO

Trulia is an important part of the Zillow Group’s portfolio of brands and I am excited about the new, modern architecture that is being put in place. People join and leave the company, including the Trulia team, for a variety of reasons and we take each instance seriously. As a company, we’re doing some new things and that has impacted the direction of the broader team, which I believe shows an ability to be nimble when the business opportunities are promising. The leadership team has been working closely with us as we navigate these changes, and we will continue to be transparent. I don’t see or hear about the “boys club” you are referring to. I’d welcome a conversation with you or others who want to discuss the challenges you are seeing and things we could do to help. We don’t have a work from home policy and prefer employees to be in our offices, working collaboratively with their teammates. Of course, we encourage employees to work with their managers as we understand there are circumstances that don’t support traditional work hours in the office and can allow for certain flexibility as appropriate. I’d like to see every employee have a positive work experience and environment. I hope you reach out to me so we can discuss your concerns further. davebei@zillowgroup.com

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Meh

Apr 13, 2019 - Trulia Engineering in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is generally positive. Location of the downtown SF building is great, it's a special place to be.

Cons

The flex vacation policy is a myth. You are told that higher ups - including our general manager - are watching how much vacation people are taking and that if you are high on 'the list' it gets noticed. There is an unstated limit of 4 weeks. I have found it to be political and unforgiving. There is no warning on something to improve, you are directly dinged on performance. Not all roles and responsibilities are well defined and no desire to fix it. There is some tension between product and engineering, with painfully untechnical product managers hard charging engineering. Product managers are generally more directly than collaborative.

5 people found this review helpful

SVP & GM, Trulia

Thanks for the review. We really want and encourage employees to take ownership of their career and work directly with their manager on their performance, role and career goals. Highly recommend you reach out to your HR business partner or me, so we can discuss your experiences and create solutions. We can gladly provide more clarity on our DTO policy as well.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Place to Work

Aug 31, 2018 - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great coworkers - smart, helpful, and kind - Competitive pay and benefits; rewards for good effort made - Semi flexible workday schedules -lots of room for growth in both skill level and responsibilities -awesome senior management

Cons

- Too many meetings - Some remote work was possible when needed, but more would have been better :)

VP of Engineering

Thank you for your feedback and we will keep on working to get to better.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Marketing Manager

Aug 31, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The recruitment process was both streamlined and thorough, and there was active communication from both recruiting and the hiring manager. The company really does abide by their core values - focusing on collaboration, innovation and transparency. There is a visible emphasis on employee satisfaction, as evidenced by the breadth of benefits offered, and the general demeanor of fellow employees.

Cons

No observed cons to date.

VP Marketing

We're so glad to hear it! --thanks so much for letting us know.

7. 1.0

Lack Leadership and Integrityy

Jun 6, 2019 - Marketing Communications Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The time off policy is very generous.

Cons

Lack of true leadership Cult like culture Step sister brand to Zillow with no true future path forward

6 people found this review helpful

VP Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to let us know-- I’m sorry you feel this way about the work we’re doing. We see an exciting path forward for people looking to move, and the role we can play in making that better. I’d love to discuss your feedback so we can improve at alissar@zillowgroup.com. best-- Alissa Reiter, VP Marketing

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

The tail was wagging the dog

Feb 21, 2015 - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Work/life balance + Was super effective/agile in its younger days, before the IPO + Lots of parties, if that's your thing + Swanky new office worthy of SfGate article + Lots of smart engineers, PMs + Mostly nice people, egos of most people are checked at the door

Cons

- Ads/sales team pillaged the site, and the leadership failed to keep them in check. Trulia had something special going and it was strip-mined by banners, interstitials, and paid placement. CEO Pete Flint and COO Paul Levine take the ultimate blame here for a deficit of vision and lack of reverence for the product. The tail was wagging the dog. - Dysfunctional compensation. Few people at Trulia cared about the IPO except super early employees and senior management. Talent was often seeing leaving for more generous pastures. - Managers, even first-level, were mostly helicoptered in from outside instead of promoted from within.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome place to work and learn, fast paced.

Sep 11, 2011 -  in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome work/life balance. They have great perks, benefits, 401K, commuter benefit, dental, vision, etc... Core Senior Management has been in place since inception, but have added some amazing talent (COO, VP of Sales) that have truly accelerated our growth and revenue. They listen to feedback and do their best to change direction or adjust very rapidly. Whole company has clear goals and they really let every employee know what is going on - each week. HR and internal support teams really care about making you feel wanted and special.They have gone through a lot of growth in their training and hiring process for Inside Sales. The office has changed a lot in the past year. All I can say is that those people getting hired now and in the last 3 months are way better than the ones brought in previously. The compensation plan has been a steady and really fair plan since March of this year.

Cons

There are two divisions. Working in Inside Sales is very different than being an engineer, or mid-upper level management. Finally, the biggest con is that they do not do much for employees who have been here a long time in terms of career development. They rather hire outside talent than groom their own employees - especially on the sales and management side. Engineers are treated really well, so this is a con if you are not an engineer.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great fun working on interesting products with talented, friendly people

Sep 18, 2013 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people: very non-judgemental of your personal situation. The only thing that matters is that you are fired up about your job. No one cares about what specific hours you keep, though of course face time is valued. The people I've worked with are extremely friendly, passionate, and knowledgable...Great combination The product: everyone needs a home. Our tools to help get people in them are innovative (like commute maps) and work at scale. Perks: great benefits, food is often bought for everyone, nights in (boardgame night) and out (summer party), scheduled fun days, a kegerator on two floors, and plenty of adult beverages nearby. Good social scene. Some good snacks and drinks. The pay is good and commensurate with what you'd expect in the valley/SF Senior Management: has an excellent vision, are very transparent and approachable. They've created a great, open culture that's reflected by the fact that anyone can come up with an innovative idea and communicate it freely to anyone, even the CEO. Also there are no offices...just desks. That goes for senior management as well.

Cons

The main building is older and has crappy bathrooms, no AC, and slow elevators. However, the engineering team is moving across the street to more modern digs. I'd expect a whole lot more if we get a new building in the future...like views of the bay and bathrooms that can handle more than two people at one time. Conference rooms can be hard to book and we need more space

Viewing 1 - 10 of 302 Reviews