Trulia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trulia Interview Questions

Updated May 29, 2017

2.6

Editor Interview

Interview

Phone screen with HR. In-person with hiring manager. Edit test. After you put in time, they don’t bother to tell you they went with someone else. Rude & unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Trulia Response

May 24, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't receive a phone call from the Recruiting team with the outcome of your interview - it's part of our process to always connect with candidates via phone or ... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I did not receive an offer but I am so impressed with Trulia, the people and the dignity and respect of their hiring process. Specifically I would like to call out Chris Vensko, he called to tell me I was close but I didn't make it. He actually sounded disappointed the team didn't pick me.

When I arrived I received a thank you note with schedule, a gift bag and was given a tour.

The office was pretty cool and the team was cool. If you are on the fence I'd say send in your application.

MBA Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied for this role online with an application and cover letter. Within a week, I was contacted to schedule an initial phone screen. Post screen, a former MBA Product Intern led a one-on-one phone interview which consisted of both general and technical specific skills. Finally, I had an in-person interview at the office in San Francisco. This involved interviews with five different employees from the Product, Data & Analytics and Engineering teams.

Interview Questions

• Select a new feature that you would add to the technology/application and walk me through the process of planning, implementing and launching that feature.   Answer Question

Senior Software Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was great. Everyone was very friendly. They even had a room set aside for me, gave me snacks, etc. Everyone was very punctual and to the point. It was a good mix of non-technical and technical questions. I especially enjoyed the coding problems.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I would use existing data to build new features.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trulia (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a phone call with recruiter who didn't seem to understand a lot about web technologies.

Was given a coding challenge and rejected the next day with no explanation. The process seemed to be a massive waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Do you know Object Oriented Programming.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I met the recruiter through LinkedIn. He was very professional in gathering information and matching me with a job opening that would interest me. I was impressed with the tech stack and the impact that position would have on Trulia's core business.

Phone interview:
    The engineer spent a few minutes to understand my current role and my interest in Trulia. There was one coding question (to implement a popular data structure) and a design question (to design a Map-Reduce job for a big data problem).

Onsite:
    I got feedback on the very next day and was scheduled for an onsite visit. I was given the schedule, including the list of people I'll be meeting with. The interviewers and coordinators were very courteous and tried to make it a positive experience for me. First two interviews were technical with a lot of white board coding. Questions were about text parsing, using heaps, maps, hashing and implementing natural ordering for objects. There was a 20 minutes meeting with VP and then lunch. A good opportunity to talk about business and future plans for the company.
    There were three more technical interviews. One was a systems design interview, the other two were coding/behavioral interviews. The questions were simple: variation of merge sort, a simple dynamic programming question etc.

I got positive feedback from the recruiter that same day and received an offer within a couple of days.

Outreach Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

2 phone screening interviews. The first call was from a recruiter to see if you're a good match. The second call was from the hiring manager. After that, I was scheduled an onsite interview seeing 4 people people one on one. (30 mins each)

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trulia.

Interview

One of the worst interviews I've had. The recruiter seems had a scattered mind when talking to me. But I was quickly moved on to the hiring manager phone interview. Started with a typical question why am I a fit for this position. Then asked me a very specific product improvement recommendation on a particular feature. Nothing else. Good product managers are well rounded and should be measured on all level of qualifications. Using an interview as a leverage to get some product improvement ideas in the first 10 mins of a conversation is such a low-level move. And the folks there seem don't have any technical background and don't understand what qualities to value and to select good PMs.

Interview Questions

Trulia Response

Aug 2, 2016 – VP, Recruiting

Thanks for your feedback. That was disappointing to hear about your recruiter interview. As for the hiring manager component, it is customary to ask our product oriented interviewees very specific ... More

SEO Content Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trulia in August 2016.

Interview

Had a recruiter contact me letting me know how excited they were to interview me based on my resume and experience. When our scheduled call time came up, she flaked on me the last minute because something urgent came up. She was polite, apologized profusely, and assured me that this was not indicative of the overall candidate experience at Trulia, which I understood. We eventually did have a call after a lot of difficulty with her being unresponsive/unavailable. The call went well, and I was notified I would move onto the next stage: a convo with the hiring manager.

I took time off of work to chat with him, but again, I got stood up. I contacted the recruiter asking to reschedule and she did for a few days later. Ten minutes after our call was scheduled, the hiring manager rang. Our conversation went well and I felt confident.

The next day I was informed that I didn't get the position because a candidate was further along than I was in the process and they had accepted the position. This was incredibly frustrating as a MAJOR reason I was behind in the process was because Trulia repeatedly dropped the ball. They encouraged me to apply again in a few months once a related position opened up, but the whole experience soured me from applying there. I can understand the occasional scheduling snafu, but missing a call with no warnings twice in a row and taking days to reschedule is unacceptable. Hopefully they've gotten their act together since I applied.

Interview Questions

Trulia Response

Mar 21, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for leaving the detailed feedback. I can assure you that this is not a common interviewing experience with Trulia and we do take great pride in our candidate experience. Since this ... More

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, technical phone screen, simple analytical writing exercise, 4 hour on-site interview, meeting 10 people.

After all of this, I received a form response saying I wasn't successful. Not even a personal email followup or phone call, which was really unprofessional and surprised me. Given this, it was hard to judge where or how I didn't meet the criteria.

Interview Questions

• Nothing crazy, case questions, SQL, regression analysis etc.   Answer Question