UPC Insurance Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2021

3.6
UPC Insurance CEO John Forney (no image)
John Forney
Pros
  • "Pre covid perks were okay, free food and more paid holidays off than average(in 6 reviews)

• "The sales team is, by far, the best group I’ve people I’ve ever worked with(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Great work life balance and pay(in 2 reviews)

• "Disgusting lack of communication, horrible management (good old boys club) and gross resistance to training people to get where they need to be(in 2 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company!

Mar 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Pete, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very positive company, promotes growth and career opportunities. I love the people I work with and look forward to work everyday!

Cons

I Can't think of any

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Work hard/play hard

Mar 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, fast-growing company, great benefits. Progressive company in a conservative industry.

Cons

Very demanding. If you want a 9-5 job, this probably isn’t a good fit.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Still Enjoy Working at UPC Insurance

Feb 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, Benefits, Growth opportunities, feedback, and fun

Cons

Can't think of any at this point. If you don't enjoy your work and want to simply coast in a job, UPC is not the place for you.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great start into insurance career

Mar 11, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free benefits for employees and spouse

Cons

Limited communication among departments make difficult to achieve goals

UPC Insurance Response

UPC Insurance

UPC Insurance does not offer free medical benefits to employees and their spouses, and we do not have any Customer Service Representatives working from the Fort Lauderdale area.

5. 5.0

Fantastic environment

Feb 7, 2021 - Product Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

UPC has these characteristics great culture, good financials, and high growth.

Cons

At this point in time I have no complaints.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company

Feb 10, 2021 - Director in Saint Petersburg, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture and people are amazing

Cons

Cannot think of anything at the moment

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cons outweigh pros

Nov 17, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pre covid perks were okay, free food and more paid holidays off than average.

Cons

Too many to list. Avoid if you value a diverse, structured, intelligent workplace. UPC is comparable to a high school extracurricular club the way it is run. High degree of favoritism towards certain employees. COVID handling was a joke. This company had several times in the midst of the pandemic where they were saying employees should get ready to come back. WFH policy seemed like an after thought rather than a well developed plan. Employees now going in the office again but no measures taken to reduce covid risk. As another review mentioned, absolutely no statement was put out during the height of the BLM movement despite similar companies doing so. But why would they when not a single executive is a POC? In short, UPC is a mediocre insurance company with mediocre management who only cares about their reputation and not the wellbeing of their employees.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Poor management decisions causes them to constantly trip over their own feet.

Mar 12, 2021 - Help Desk Technician in Saint Petersburg, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent amenities, great location downtown

Cons

There is almost no coordination between departments

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Slow sad death of a culture and company

Feb 1, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everything prior to COVID and working with past leadership. CEO and directors are all gone.

Cons

No job security, expectations change everyday, stopped writing business and no one in sales knows if they will have a job in a week. Sold states to another company. Culture filled company turned into a stuffy corporate environment with secrets. Keeping the promise used to be the company quote, now we aren't promised a job tomorrow.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

UPC has the culture of a frat house

Jun 11, 2020 - Claims Adjuster in Saint Petersburg Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Weekends off and Not much else

Cons

-Pay is not worth the level of stress - low pto accrual rate of 4 hours per pay period, and low number of pto days. - Ineffective management - No paid sick leave, you are encouraged to use your pto days to recover from illness so that when you need a vacation from the mental fatigue you have none to use. As a reference point, prior to covid 19 employees were restricted from teleworking more than 1 day a week even if due to sickness which resulted in the flu and possibly covid being passed around the office frequently as people did not want to use precious pto and came to work infecting their coworkers - workload is unequal amongst teams due to nonsensical claim assignment methods - "Cost saving measures" have been introduced as a way to keep expenses low at a detriment to the insured making claims more difficult to adjust, and increasing the time it takes to resolve a claim ...and finally... - UPC does not care about diversity or inclusion. During recent social unrest and compared to other major carriers like Liberty Mutual, UPC neither acknowledged or released a statement of solidarity with historically disenfranchised employees, whether persons of color or belonging to the lgbtq community, because they are largely unconcerned with employees mental wellness. UPC does however, delight in the celebration of western drinking holidays.

4 people found this review helpful

UPC Insurance Response

UPC Insurance

UPC offers a generous PTO package for our employees, which we believe is consistent with PTO provided by others in our industry. Like most other employers, we expect our employees to use their PTO for vacation, sick days, or other personal circumstances and encourage our employees to plan accordingly each year. During the COVID-19 pandemic, UPC implemented telework protocols for most employees, significantly limiting the need to use PTO if an employee exhibited symptoms, or tested positive, for COVID-19. If you were required to work in the office after learning of a positive COVID-19 test, please contact a member of the Employee Success team directly so we can address the issue. UPC is committed to Keeping the Promise to our insureds, and we continuously work toward improving efficiencies and timeliness of claims processing. We recognize that workflows can be challenging while implementing new processes and suggest communicating concerns with departmental leaders. As for your comments on diversity and inclusion at UPC, we respectfully disagree. We are committed to treating all employees equally and supporting our diverse workforce.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 62 Reviews