Unit4 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Unit4 CEO Stephan Sieber
Stephan Sieber

Pros
  • Healthy work/life balance: ability to work from home and not a culture that expects work to be done during the evenings or weekends (in 12 reviews)

• There is a flexible work schedule and the work/life balance is good (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of changes in a short period of time makes it sometimes confusing in which direction we are going as a company (in 3 reviews)

• Demotivating low salaries (that doesn't apply to everyone though) (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inspiring and Positive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Unit4 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Unit4 full-time (Less than a year)
    Excellent company culture - everyone is positive and motivated.
    The products are very interesting with innovations continunally occuring its good to know you are working for a company that is on the rise.
    Clear vision and strategy to achieve this - everyone has the same goal and it working hard towards it.
    Teams are very friendly, management is approachable (all the way up to CxO level) and employees are encouraged to do their best every day to help drive the company forward.
    Excellent career progression

Cons

There is still some slight organisational changes occurring so sometimes clarity and communication can be amiss

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing :)

"Great Work/Life balance"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Unit4 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team members and great new software products being released. Our company appreciates the employees and our health benefits are the best. I would refer my friends to work here.

Cons

There is a culture change going on for the better. People who have been here a long time may be dissatisfied with this change but sometimes change is for the better.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The future is very bright and I am glad to be a part of this exciting future. We must be doing a great job or we wouldn't be selling software for the last 36 years!

"Disappointed with lack of care show towards employees"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Burlington, MA

I worked at Unit4 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first started, I loved working for UNIT4. Lot's of interesting assignments, great team environment. Some of the best co-workers I've ever worked with!

Cons

Unstable - ever other year or so they lay-off a bunch of employees right at the end of the 1st quarter - then about 8-9 months later they start hiring a bunch of new employees. I saw this happen 3 times over 4 1/2 years. They have lost so many seasoned and knowledgeable employees because of their lack of indifference towards their employees.

Lack of following labor compliance for US employees - I was repeatedly told to use vacation time or I would use it... this is against the labor laws of the state I live in. Expenses were not paid in a timely manner, sometimes taking months to get it straightened out... then it was coming through as a wire which cause my bank to charge me for!

The benefits used to be pretty good here in the US, but recently (after the merge with the Education Software) it has become terrible. I had to change doctors because of them changing the medical provider, and then I had to stop going to my eye doctor because of the lack of coverage for the "vision" insurance. It wasn't insurance, it was a "savings/discount" policy.

Lots of pressure for 80% utilization but no work to achieve that... then they lay you off! Really very disappointed in the way they manage resources!

Advice to Management

The management over in Europe need to be more aware of how their decisions effect their North American employees as well as the labor compliance required especially here in the US. They also need to be honest about the direction they are heading in regarding their Professional Services department as it has become very clear that they are going in the direction that SAP did by using Partners.

Apr 10, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about some of your experiences. We take your feedback very seriously and it is a starting point for continuous improvement. We would like to encourage ... More

"Good software, but lacking corporate direction"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Good ERP package with good integration points

Cons

Additional "flashy" rollout of Experience packs or bots gets in the way of fixing core functionality problems.

Dec 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition team

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and give your feedback. We continuously work on improving ourselves and cannot do this without valuable feedback. So, please feel comfortable to ... More

"Beware: Amateur. Unprofessional. Irrelevant. Homogenous."

Former Employee - Product Marketing Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Unit4 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice people.
    The office in Utrecht is very cool and attractive.

Cons

Where shall I begin?

Quite possibly the worst corporation I have ever worked for.
    They will work you to the bone and make you question why you joined the entire time you are there.

You will feel empowered in the beginning, and then realize very quickly that they simply don't have their act together. Managers don't have formal training and basically just wing it in a lot of cases. Executives are all mostly cut from the same cloth. SAP lite, anyone? And how about some diversity? There is very little diversity and it is embarrassing for a global organization. It's the perfect example of the "old boy network."

The management team is disconnected from reality. They really believe they are a player in the world of enterprise software. They are not. The lack of leadership over the years and the arrogance of those who have been around for most of this company's history has stunted their growth for almost 3 decades.

The current direction is ambitious, but it's questionable whether they have (or can keep) the right talent to get them to the next level. There's a lot of stale talent that has been around for many years, and they have yet to join the rest of the world in the new millennium. Some are smart, but headstrong and stuck in their ways. New ideas are welcome, but rarely implemented.

Quite frankly, I have never heard of Unit4 until I interviewed with them. You probably have never heard of them either...and are looking to gain insight through this review.

Do yourself a favor, and pass on these guys. They're very messy and unprofessional internally. While some processes are in place, they have a long way to go...

The company is privately held with a potential exit strategy that will only make the executive team rich. The everyday workers will be left behind. If you want to take a chance, go do it somewhere where you have the opportunity to be part of some financial gain if the company is acquired or has an IPO. This is not the place.

Lastly, have you ever wondered why you've likely never heard of Unit4? They're irrelevant. Plain and simple.

I've worked for Fortune 100 and other well known companies in my career. The one blemish on my resume is Unit4.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract top talent and keep them, treat them with respect. Offer transparency. Communicate more effectively. Get off your high horses and know what concerns your employees have and issues everyday workers face.

Share the wealth. If Unit4 is acquired or goes public, employees should benefit from this. Sadly, your current plan only allows for a few of you to do well. Selfishness is a bad way to go.

Carefully consider who you allow to manage employees. Some of your managers simply do not have the skills to lead. Just because they have been there for 20+ years doesn't mean they are leaders or effective managers.

Open your minds. Diversify. Whether it's women or people of color, diversify. Be open to women in positions of influence, not just administrative roles. Be open to people of different backgrounds. If and when you can convince them to work for Unit4, don't run them off.

There's a lot more work to do to be relevant on a global scale.

Aug 11, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your response. Clearly the experience was not good for you and we truly regret that; we both hoped for success when you joined. Unit4 is in change, and we will be the first to ... More

"Lots of changes going on!"

Current Employee - Sales in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Sales in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Unit4 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company values innovation and has been keen to share plans for change with the staff. It recognizes the need to change and has made a start.

Cons

Salaries are not great - and bonuses are low when compared to other companies in the same industry.

"OK people by me"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Unit4 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great solution
    Great people
    Great work/life balance
    Tons of autonomy

Cons

Distant senior management in Europe
    Focus on profitability, sales, utilization, etc might be too harsh for a new entrant to the United States

Advice to Management

Stay close to your employees.

9. "Pretty good place to work overall!"

Current Employee - Applications Consultant in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Applications Consultant in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Unit4 full-time

Pros

Manager is not a micro manager, lot's of challenges, and a great team of co-workers!

Cons

Missed opportunities for value added sales. Its a technology company that does not give its staff updated tools to use nor do they leverage technology to support their staff and customers.

Advice to Management

You need to look at the big picture! And leverage the talent you have!

"Great company with hardworking employees."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Unit4 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management with freedom to use your insights.

Cons

Not well know in the USA.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Mar 5, 2014 – Recruitment Manager

Dear former employee, Thank you for your review, we appreciate this very much. Not just UNIT4 as a company but every individual can spread the word about our company, products and services to ... More

"Friendly, supportive, family working atmosphere"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Unit4 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive and helpful colleagues
    Salary is comparable to competitors

Cons

As a consultant, travel requirement is over 50%.