UserTesting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Darrell Benatar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can work from home and easily make some money (in 14 reviews)

• Speaking of balance - the work life balance here is amazing (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "Good place to start off"

I have been working at UserTesting part-time

Pros

Manager is really understanding as well as the rest of the company. It’s a great place to start off in your UX career and you’ll learn a lot.

Cons

If you are an RA, there’s no pay raise opportunity. But the pay in general is fair.

2. "Not Impressive"

Former Employee - SDR in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - SDR in Atlanta, GA

I worked at UserTesting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are a joy to work with
    Office is very nice with a great view
    West Coast benefits in an East Coast office (yoga, massages, snacks)
    Catered lunches twice a week
    Bi-monthly happy hours expensed
    SDR position is easy

Cons

Executives in SF are out of touch with the realities of the Atlanta office
    No recognition and little appreciation of the SDR team
    Good luck getting a promotion
    High turnover
    Quotas and expectations are unattainable
    Good leadership is hard to come by in both Atlanta and San Fransisco
    No real defined means to make commission (subjective and often decided by the AE)
    Extensive outreach, little or no legitimate leads

Advice to Management

To SF office: Realize that you don't have a true pulse of what's going on in Atlanta. Value those that have stayed loyal or continue the risk of losing more talent. You should be trying to set up management for success and it doesn't appear that any of you are.

3. "Legitimate Way to Earn Some Spare Cash"

I have been working at UserTesting part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home.
    Tests are easy to complete.
    Payment via Paypal.

Cons

Tests are somewhat infrequent.
    Takes a week to get paid.

"Horrible management, continuous layoffs, constant company "reconstruction""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UserTesting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free lunch a few times a week

Cons

horrible management, continuous layoffs, constant company "reconstruction"

Advice to Management

Management needs to get along, be a team and show that they care about all teams/employees versus only a select few.

UserTesting Response

Dec 12, 2017 – VP, People, Places and Culture

Thank you for your feedback.

Good management starts with having a good relationship with those being managed. We put a lot of resources into making sure that our managers have ample training... More

"An independent site analysis"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in White Pine, TN
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in White Pine, TN

I have been working at UserTesting part-time

Pros

Allows me to work from home

Cons

I have not experienced the cons ye

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Some great people, but TERRIBLE management style"

I worked at UserTesting full-time

Pros

- Good remote culture. No one ever complained about having remote folks. We got stuff done when we needed to.
    - Good benefits for the most part

Cons

- Zero tolerance for people who work outside of the very narrow culture spectrum
    - Use of Intel's OKR approach to prioritizing work has lead to enormous amount of technical debt, most of which we were often too late to implement (read: downtime)
    - One-on-one check-ins with managers who know nothing about what you do day to day
    - Protectionist culture from software engineers who have been there longer than you means subpar ideas get implemented because they trump you on tenure

Advice to Management

Drop OKRs, learn what is truly wrong with your business, and get rid of management who know nothing about how to scale a business.

UserTesting Response

Sep 1, 2017 – VP, People, Places and Culture

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Since one of our core values is to get better, we always take feedback seriously and will use these points within our retrospectives... More

"User Review"

I worked at UserTesting full-time

Pros

Easy schedule and flexible opportunities

Cons

Not enough opportunity consistently throughout the week

8. "Great Company To Work For"

I have been working at UserTesting full-time

Pros

The culture is awesome! There are always fun events every month, food is catered twice a week, clubs where people who have a common interest get together and hang out.

I feel valued by everyone. The Executive team are very approachable and I feel comfortable going to management for guidance and advice whenever I need it. I love my team and my job (which is probably rare for a customer support person to say).

Everyone is incredibly nice. I've never worked anywhere with the family atmosphere that we have at UserTesting.

Cons

In Mountain View, the offices are siloed. Different teams sit in different suites, which means that communication isn't as smooth as it could be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. As we grow, don't forget the start up culture that we've been able to maintain so far!

"A Once Great Place to work has lost its identity and has a lot of work to do"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UserTesting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great people still work there in contributor roles (and a few managers)
    - people are genuinely friends outside of work, and the company encourages coworkers the socialize, with a family environment
    - lots of fun social activities that the company puts on to get employees to know each other on more than just a profession level
    - great office spaces in Mountain View, San Francisco and Atlanta
    - awesome perks including fitness classes, massages, and lunches twice a week.

Cons

- Executive Management rushes into critical decisions without consulting the experts it has hired for opinions and to do things the right way.
    - Product is not seen as essential to new customers, and management constantly artificially change the product without actually improving it to justify higher dollar spend than customer wants to commit.
    - New management hires do not fit well with the core employees who made UserTesting into the rapidly growing company it is.
    - Executive team is quick on the trigger to let go of key staff, while keeping other highly paid VPs and directors who are dead weight because of personal relationships.
    - The Executive Team feigns like they get involved into the details of the business, but really have only high-level knowledge of what's going on.
    - Many managers are either inexperienced, over their heads or ineffective.
    - Marketing team has yet to product sufficient leads for sales to realistically achieve their quotas even with outbounding.

Advice to Management

Lack of communication is one of the big issues at this company. Management keeps key information close to the vest, until it's too late and then expects those who should have been involved much earlier to fix their mistakes. You need to trust your employees and bring them in. There needs to be better interdepartmental communication. You need to take a close look at the leaders you've hired, and figure out if they really are a business and culture fit, or are just faking it to appease the executive officers, while acting totally different around other employees and chasing away those who built UserTesting from the beginning. Focus on valuing the employees who work tirelessly to make UserTesting great, and not those who just joined and end up being at the company for less than a year. Don't be penny-wise a pound foolish. Spend the money on things that enterprise customers expect, and don't expect to talk your way out of concerns rather than fixing things. Key product features needed to be developed in-house and not be third-party subcontractors. Concentrate on making what you have better before offering new products that are not fully thought out. Promote from more within in order not to lost talent.

"A gem of a place to work in Silicon Valley!"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at UserTesting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work culture is amazing! I love my coworkers; it's easy to reach out and ask for help--everyone is extremely friendly and genuine. My managers have always made me feel like I am cared about as a person, and I appreciate that they are always providing and encouraging us to take opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

UserTesting has grown a lot in the past few years and is shaping up to be a formidable company. As such, working here, you can expect a lot of changes (in internal processes, etc.) that will eventually lead the company to greater success.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Your transparency and responsiveness to feedback are so, so appreciated.