UserTesting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Darrell Benatar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can work from home and easily make some money (in 11 reviews)

• Speaking of balance - the work life balance here is amazing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between departments (in 4 reviews)

• There is a huge disconnect in culture between the SF and Mountain View office (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, amazing culture, wonderful people"

I have been working at UserTesting full-time

Pros

People care. About you, about the work they/you are doing, and about each other. I would 100% recommend anyone to work here.

Even though we now have 3 offices, and sometimes it feels disconnected, the strong culture has really helped us feel closer together. The exec team really prioritizes culture, and alongside our business goals and growth, they really push for making sure the culture stays strong, people are happy and fulfilled, and employees are enabled to do the best job they can do while having fun (weekly sports, massages, happy hours, company-wide park clean-ups, to name a few...).

The great thing about working here is that you can have a conversation with just about anyone (whether it's about the business or about how much east coast pizza is better than west coast pizza) - you're not too unimportant for anyone. Everyone's happy to have a chat with you, and the president/COO and CEO often make time to speak with each employee.

What I've noticed in my 2.5 years here is that no one is ever ignored, and there really is an effort made to help people grow, even if that effort doesn't always actually get somewhere.

Cons

Some teams are better to work for than others, and some teams' cultures are stronger than others. Despite tougher days where communication starts to break down between departments about key things, I somehow still love coming into work everyday.

While our culture is really strong, I think we could do better to be more straightforward (less "nice"). Most importantly, I don't think there's a clear growth path within UserTesting, and it's not super easy (anymore, at our current size/growth) to pursue different careers or take on different work. You just gotta work extra hard for it.

Hopefully 2017 is the year where communication between departments, but more importantly *within* departments, is much improved.

So much has been changing in the past couple of years, and will probably continue to (yay start ups!), but as of right now, today, I give UserTesting a 5/5 easily, because even though there are days where it's tougher, I have faith in the amazing people that work here, and the great work we're all a part of.

2. "User Review"

I worked at UserTesting full-time

Pros

Easy schedule and flexible opportunities

Cons

Not enough opportunity consistently throughout the week

"Some great people, but TERRIBLE management style"

I worked at UserTesting full-time

Pros

- Good remote culture. No one ever complained about having remote folks. We got stuff done when we needed to.
    - Good benefits for the most part

Cons

- Zero tolerance for people who work outside of the very narrow culture spectrum
    - Use of Intel's OKR approach to prioritizing work has lead to enormous amount of technical debt, most of which we were often too late to implement (read: downtime)
    - One-on-one check-ins with managers who know nothing about what you do day to day
    - Protectionist culture from software engineers who have been there longer than you means subpar ideas get implemented because they trump you on tenure

Advice to Management

Drop OKRs, learn what is truly wrong with your business, and get rid of management who know nothing about how to scale a business.

UserTesting Response

Sep 1, 2017 – VP, People, Places and Culture

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Since one of our core values is to get better, we always take feedback seriously and will use these points within our retrospectives... More

4. "Great Company To Work For"

I have been working at UserTesting full-time

Pros

The culture is awesome! There are always fun events every month, food is catered twice a week, clubs where people who have a common interest get together and hang out.

I feel valued by everyone. The Executive team are very approachable and I feel comfortable going to management for guidance and advice whenever I need it. I love my team and my job (which is probably rare for a customer support person to say).

Everyone is incredibly nice. I've never worked anywhere with the family atmosphere that we have at UserTesting.

Cons

In Mountain View, the offices are siloed. Different teams sit in different suites, which means that communication isn't as smooth as it could be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. As we grow, don't forget the start up culture that we've been able to maintain so far!

"A gem of a place to work in Silicon Valley!"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at UserTesting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work culture is amazing! I love my coworkers; it's easy to reach out and ask for help--everyone is extremely friendly and genuine. My managers have always made me feel like I am cared about as a person, and I appreciate that they are always providing and encouraging us to take opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

UserTesting has grown a lot in the past few years and is shaping up to be a formidable company. As such, working here, you can expect a lot of changes (in internal processes, etc.) that will eventually lead the company to greater success.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Your transparency and responsiveness to feedback are so, so appreciated.

"A Once Great Place to work has lost its identity and has a lot of work to do"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UserTesting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great people still work there in contributor roles (and a few managers)
    - people are genuinely friends outside of work, and the company encourages coworkers the socialize, with a family environment
    - lots of fun social activities that the company puts on to get employees to know each other on more than just a profession level
    - great office spaces in Mountain View, San Francisco and Atlanta
    - awesome perks including fitness classes, massages, and lunches twice a week.

Cons

- Executive Management rushes into critical decisions without consulting the experts it has hired for opinions and to do things the right way.
    - Product is not seen as essential to new customers, and management constantly artificially change the product without actually improving it to justify higher dollar spend than customer wants to commit.
    - New management hires do not fit well with the core employees who made UserTesting into the rapidly growing company it is.
    - Executive team is quick on the trigger to let go of key staff, while keeping other highly paid VPs and directors who are dead weight because of personal relationships.
    - The Executive Team feigns like they get involved into the details of the business, but really have only high-level knowledge of what's going on.
    - Many managers are either inexperienced, over their heads or ineffective.
    - Marketing team has yet to product sufficient leads for sales to realistically achieve their quotas even with outbounding.

Advice to Management

Lack of communication is one of the big issues at this company. Management keeps key information close to the vest, until it's too late and then expects those who should have been involved much earlier to fix their mistakes. You need to trust your employees and bring them in. There needs to be better interdepartmental communication. You need to take a close look at the leaders you've hired, and figure out if they really are a business and culture fit, or are just faking it to appease the executive officers, while acting totally different around other employees and chasing away those who built UserTesting from the beginning. Focus on valuing the employees who work tirelessly to make UserTesting great, and not those who just joined and end up being at the company for less than a year. Don't be penny-wise a pound foolish. Spend the money on things that enterprise customers expect, and don't expect to talk your way out of concerns rather than fixing things. Key product features needed to be developed in-house and not be third-party subcontractors. Concentrate on making what you have better before offering new products that are not fully thought out. Promote from more within in order not to lost talent.

"Sinking ghost ship"

I have been working at UserTesting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits:
    Free lunches 2x a week + unlimited snacks
    In office massages
    Free clubs, such as boot camp and yoga

Great people team:
    Really care about the employees
    Continuously asking for feedback
    Listens to suggestions from any employee

(Some) Great ppl:
    Hardworking smart team mates that are great at what they do

Cons

Management:
    Many first time ppl managers with little to no training equals a lot of frustration and micro management.
    Not a lot of transparency in decision making.
    Favouritism is a thing here on several teams.
    Constant change in directions means projects stopping mid way or having to redo things more then a sane person should have to.

Layoffs:
    Weird handling of layoffs and a lot of empty spaces makes coming to work a little odd and the offices are often rather empty.

Morale:
    Despite the efforts of the people team in cheering people up with fun events, the morale is not positive. After a handful of unexpected layoffs and departures, many long time employees have started leaving which doesn't sit well for current employees that might feel like staying means going down with the ship.

Advice to Management

Take time to train new management so that they don't push current employees out due to their lack of how to work with ppl.

Be more transparent and upfront in decision making, especially large layoffs that are very noticeable.

Listen to your employees once in a while. They were hired for their skill... maybe they actually know a thing or two about it.

"Great start for your career"

I worked at UserTesting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home is an option
    No micromanaging
    Free food twice a week
    Good benefits
    Nice people to work with
    Great place to for your first job out of college

Cons

Too much change, too fast with little or no vision.
    Execs seem lost when it comes to operations.
    Company grew too fast.
    Seems like all managers are managing for the first time.
    Promotes from within at times of turbulent change that may not be the right fit for a position.
    Pay is well below industry standard.
    Product needs a lot of work to keep up with changing technology.
    Needs to be more innovation from all within the company.

Advice to Management

Invest more time thinking about strategy and less about making EVERYONE happy. The company is 10 years old and feels a bit behind other companies that are 10 years old.

What does the COMPANY need to succeed? Not sure this was the focus in 2016, which led to a lot confusion among the individual contributors at the company.

Lastly, there needs to be much more diversity on the executive level, and across the entire company.
    Diversity leads to debate which leads to innovation, which is what the company feels like it's lacking at the moment.

UserTesting Response

Apr 4, 2017 – VP, People, Places and Culture

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this review. I’m glad to hear that you were able to find a lot of pros while working with UserTesting, but I’d love to take time to address the cons that... More

9. "Excellent Company, Great Benefits, Pro-Active Environment"

I have been working at UserTesting full-time

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Pro-Active in the industry and within the organization to set UX industry standards
    -Great Culture and environment

Cons

-Sometimes not corporate enough, could be more rigid

10. "Great culture"

Pros

The people. It's like a big happy family. Senior leadership really listens and communicates to the employees regularly. Strong commitment to the core values.

Cons

Sometimes decisions are made too slow. But it could be because they are really thinking it through. Very little training.

Advice to Management

Keep up the strong communication!