W. R. Berkley Reviews | Glassdoor

W. R. Berkley Reviews

Updated August 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.6
W. R. Berkley Chief Executive Officer and President W. Robert Berkley, Jr.
W. Robert Berkley, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good place to work and good benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Company great people hard working corporation they get great numbers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Contractors come and go - High turnover (in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy requiring strict adherence to rules, rules that change constantly (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, with great mgmt. Benefits are very good. Smaller office in Alpharetta, Ga. Worked here for 7 years

Cons

Very little room for growth.

2. "Underwriting Assistant"

Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work from home but it depends on your position or reason for needing to.

Cons

Assistants are overworked and underpaid. Opportunities for advancement are limited to favorites and available only if a person quits or moves up.

Advice to Management

Be more diverse, pay employees more and create ways for people to advance.

3. "Great atmosphere for growth"

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time

Pros

A lot of opportunities to grow and try new things. Good people and great parent company. good benefits

Cons

A lot of change but as expected for a young company

4. "Adjuster"

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time

Pros

Enviroment is very laid back

Cons

Not well organized claims in work comp

5. "Great benefits"

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time

Pros

Good culture with strong background

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. "Solid Company"

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time

Pros

employee perspectives are requested and respected
    There's a high degree of collaborative teamwork
    The future's bright!

Cons

Based on past positions I've held @ other companies, I can honestly say I don't have any cons to list!

Advice to Management

Stay the course....Brighter days are ahead for when we reach full stride. Promising future!

"Claims"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The head of HR is great and you can talk to this person and this individual always listen. You get the feeling that this person gets it and is focused on treating people well. The employees are nice and the company does quite a few things like celebrate birthdays.

Cons

Takes several years to be vested in the 401k. No bonuses and raises are minimal at best. They always say they want to retain top talent but if you ask about why the raises are so small or ask to at least be brought up to industry standards their belief is you can quit because they can put someone in your place. I realize now they don't want to keep good people. They also have too many processes and a system that is so old that it does not allow a person to do the job sufficiently but they want you to keep up.

Advice to Management

Find a way to attract and keep good people. Perhaps executive leaders can take a pay cut so they can start paying to keep good people. Offer more work from home time. Start a bonus program. Claims needs to hire more people and quit overworking the people in each of the claims departments. You are basically trying to have one claim professional do the work of 2 or 3 and that is not right and it's worse because you don't pay for the extra that they have to take on but when a claim professional can't keep up or complaints come in, you blame them. Inventory can't come down if you keep moving claims from one desk to the other when people leave. HIRE. Instead of asking the claim professional what they can do to (like they did something wrong) what about the real higher ups asking what they can do. When it comes down to it they want the claim professional to make the concession instead of those that make the rules trying to make the change that will help management and the claim professional. This company has seen lots of people leaving and if something does not change it will get worse and soon. I saw it coming and I know others are keeping quiet but quietly looking for other jobs. Berkley has the potential to be a good company but some higher ups are too set in their ways, they don't listen to what people are trying to say they need. You can't have an it's your way or my way attitude. Don't continue to try and gloss over things. Address it. Make people feel good about and let them know you are there to help them.

"Micromanagement"

Former Employee - Secretary in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Secretary in Greenwich, CT

I worked at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are standard..Employees are great people

Cons

I have read all the other reviews and nothing compares to the Home Office.
    H.R. is a disaster, everyone is afraid of saying anything, because their job would be at stake. Micromanagement, favoritism, very high work load. Once someone leaves, or mysterious gets fired, they are not replaced, the load goes to the next in line..End of year bonus's are for the boys club, all others are pushed aside, and are lucky they still have a job. Credit to the good employees for there hard work is never appreciated, only if something goes wrong, watch out.....job most likely will be terminated.

Advice to Management

Re-construct HR., take a percent or two from the big boys and allocate it to the people who really work hard..

"Working here will take a serious toll on your physical and mental health! STAY AWAY!"

I worked at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None whatsoever - this company operates like a sweat shop and treats its employees like disposable assets. They could care less.

Cons

Below market pay - terrible management - unreasonable expectations- my manager would monitor my key strokes and scream at me for "only work 12 hours a day". You will be expected to have the work load of 3 people. You will literally need a doctors note to take a sick day.

"Great Company - Berkley Technology Underwriters"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company. Good benefits. Good people. Employees are empowered to share ideas. Everyone has a voice. Pay for performance philosophy. Those who work hard are rewarded.

Cons

Growing company so workloads can be overwhelming during peak periods. However, UW team members pitch in to assist when needed.

Advice to Management

Thanks for hiring good experienced management that empower employees and encourage a true team environment.