Weyerhaeuser Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doyle Simons

Pros
Cons
  • Very few women in upper management positions (in 10 reviews)

• They are no longer the company they once were (in 7 reviews)

"Corporate Employee at Weyerhaeuser Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits
    Diverse workforce
    Large number of career options/paths

Cons

No longer a family focused company
    Recent merger created a more competitive environment
    Corporate environment does not foster community spirit in workforce

Advice to Management

Don't lose what attracted so many people to WY in the first place
    Don't lose your identity as a reputable forest products company now that you're merged

2. "When material is being stolen the inventory Specialist is still responsible for being short on counts"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They care about their employees

Cons

If all the customers were closed the day after Christmas we would still have to work.

Advice to Management

Don't hire a manager with a huge salary with less experience and knowledge of the employees who have to work for them.

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser (More than 8 years)

Pros

There used to be a pension, standard benefits, 401k

Cons

No job security, I was laid off 3 times and never actually lost my job since they realized my value. Poor vacation and no opportunities for development.

"Layoffs and Job Eliminations an Annual Thing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Trees really are the answer and Weyerhaeuser plants a lot of them. A robust research program means that Weyerhaeuser could reemerge as an industry leader.

Cons

Weyerhaeuser is in a massive contraction mode and has been for several years. Singular focus is on cutting costs. Morale is very low as repeated layoffs have gutted teams. Senior management is out of touch or simply does not care about employees.

Advice to Management

Needs improvement.

5. "IT tech"

Current Employee - IT Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities, plenty of job growth

Cons

bad benefits and some management could use work

6. "Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natchitoches, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natchitoches, LA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They talk a good game.

Cons

First, the management on my crew sucked. They didn't do their job. 80 percent of the people there didn't do their job and they put their job off on the other 20 percent. The supervisor let them get away with this because he obviously didn't have the guts to say anything to them. Second, they preach safety and said it was their number one priority but I had something healthwise go wrong while I was about 8 hours in the shift. I talked to the supervisor to make sure I wouldn't lose my job if I had to leave. Then I tried to stay but the pain got worse. I did not feel like I could safely perform my job but what I really thought about was safely driving myself home so my wife could take me to emergency room. The supervisor said it was ok and that they wouldn't shoot me. I told him I couldn't afford to lose job but I had to go home. The next day I came back and he told me they had to let me go. He didn't ask for my dr note or nothing he just ran me off. I know it wasn't due to my work performance because he had told me several times I was doing really good for a new hire. They ran another guy off for talking to another company about a job. Really I think it was because I was honest with them and I told them I didn't know if I could stay there if I got a call back from oilfield. I think he started gunning for me then. I got five kids, worked in the oilfield for ten years, had been laid off and needed that job.

Advice to Management

Get real, if you are gonna talk about it then be about it. Don't say your safety oriented when you aren't. Get out of your office and hold everyone accountable for doing their job instead of just the ones who try to do a good job. Realize that stuff happens to people and that's not s reason to fire them. If you wanna know why your numbers suck then go out and walk the floor every once in awhile instead of just talking about it in safety meeting.

7. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Modesto, CA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good company to work for if you want to learn the paper industry from the ground up

Cons

Be prepared for lots of overtime, weekends and holiday work required often in maintenance dept.

Advice to Management

Keep abreast of environmental concerns to better inform company of issues of dams and sustaining Forrest lands

8. "Operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was good and overtime available.

Cons

Its shift work and very hot in the Summer.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect

9. "Great Company and Superior Staff"

Former Employee - Finance & Planning Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Finance & Planning Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Superior Staff. Great learning environment. Growth and change supported. Extremely ethical company.

Cons

Still in reorganization mode due to the REIT status.

Advice to Management

none

"A fresh coat of paint does not a new tractor make."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Pay is barely acceptable for Seattle, but work environment, long, traffic filled commutes, and long hours quickly erode that benefit. Don't work here on salary.

There are good people here, but none of them are in upper management. Middle managers and people on the front lines seem to actually care and be friendly, for the most part.

Cons

Where to even start? This place is a show and a half.

The stated reason for moving to Seattle is to "attract new talent". Their behavior indicates that they don't truly believe this, or they are disconnected beyond belief. Nothing about what they are doing says that they actually care about talent, retention, or employees. All of that means bad things for you.

First, lets start with the office.

Seattle leaves a lot to be desired. Pioneer Square is a pretty rough neighborhood, and while it has its upsides, be prepared to walk past plenty of homeless people. Minimize the valuables that you are carrying, it is only a matter of time before an employee gets mugged.

Once you're inside the building, it's all concrete, wood, and logos. "Look at all our products being showcased around you!" says the promotional material. It's an ego trip, and not even a very good one. Quite a few of the tables look like they are built out of plywood, there is exposed, unfinished wood everywhere, and what finished wood there actually is, usually has big, unintentional cracks in it. If they can't even bring their A-Game to their company HQ, what do you expect them to be doing to wood they don't actually care about? Also, bring tweezers. Splinters will be in your future.

Unless you are upper management, you're very likely to end up in an open office plan. If you're upper management material, you can do better than Weyerhaeuser. If you are interviewing here, be sure to ask where you would be seated, as there is very little storage and no work space provided in the open offices. Walls on the cubes are also very low. Half-cubes (the ones with side desks) have it a little bit better, but not by much. The concrete echos, the windows are generally open, meaning you'll hear frequent sirens, and whatever is happening outside, for good or ill.

Also, Weyerhaeuser does not care about you. Benefits are next to non-existent. that You can get an ORCA card, but given that pretty much everyone in Seattle will provide one of those for you, it's hardly worth mentioning. Health and 401Ks are a thing, but are nothing special.

If you're anywhere near a C-level or their immediate underlings, be prepared to be micromanaged into the ground.

Advice to Management

If you're serious about trying to attract talent, pointing at your new building and talking about how cool you are is, at best, going to get you an eye-roll. Every company thinks they are cool. They usually aren't. If you want to attract talent, you have to give them a reason for them to want to work for you in the form of tangible benefits, such as better pay, private cubes...something. Your environment is actively working against you on this one, and it seems to be intentionally planned out that way, which seems counter-productive. Currently, you make it very obvious that if you aren't a C-level or one of their direct reporters, you don't matter. This needs to change, or your employees are only going to get more unhappy.