Williams Reviews | Glassdoor

Williams President and Chief Executive Officer Alan S. Armstrong
Alan S. Armstrong

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "year company veterans who think things should be done the 'good ole ways" (in 10 reviews)

• "Upper management doesn't seem to understand the needs of various departments" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office atmosphere is laid back and still everyone knows their job and does it well. Great work life balance.

Cons

Processes still need to be streamlined across the entire company to gain efficiency and consistency. Lack of communication company wide.

2. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Support employees, safety first culture.

Cons

Big company so that comes with its headaches.

3. "Good start but can be improved"

I have been working at Williams full-time

Pros

Good Work-Life Balance
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Team focused

Cons

It's not what you know but who you know
    Nepotism

4. "IT is disconnected from the business"

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Williams as a company has always been a solid staple in the Tulsa community. They have very competitive benefits and foster a great work/life balance. They are very involved in the community and they offer various volunteer opportunities throughout the year. If working from Tulsa, it is in the epicenter of downtown. There is tons of food and entertainment in the area around the tower.

Cons

1. IT is very disconnected from the business. Management seems to think they are running a software solutions company instead of supporting a gas pipeline. There is the way the rest of the industry operates and then there is the "Williams way" which is usually a lot less efficient. You have to drink the Williams "Kool-aide" if you want to survive.
    2. Various IT groups are often self-serving. I've found most people at Williams are concerned with self-preservation instead of what is really best for the company. They will often spend millions in capital to save a few dollars recurring - management encourages wasting stupid amounts of money.
    3. Management is extremely slow and most often fails to deliver projects on-time. There are too many directors and they often quarrel with each other until projects die. This also creates very little collaboration between groups.
    4. Around half of IT is outsourced. If you are lucky to be in-sourced, you are constantly on edge as to whether or not another re-org is looming or management decides to outsource your position. Management is very fickle in regards to outsourcing strategy.

Advice to Management

1. Stop with the IT outsourcing. It is destroying employee morale.
    2. Focus on the business that makes the money - stop wasting time and money on projects that don't support the business or save the company money.
    3. Upper management - needs to continue streamlining operations so that projects can be delivered on-time - too many delays when compared to our peers.

5. "Forklifts"

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Memphis, TN

I worked at Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my work schedule

Cons

So works did like to be a team player

Advice to Management

Nothing to say

6. "A Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay, decent health benefits, still offers PENSION!!!, matching 401k, and generally happy and upbeat employees.

Cons

Sometimes the required work travel is excessive, and there is a growing feeling of disconnect between Corporate and Operations.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Controls Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Controls Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours if needed.

Good Benefits compared to similar industries

Nice People at all locations

Cons

There is very little cohesion and continuity between the many different offices. Processes and procedures are lacking and rarely followed

8. "Solid Company"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Williams full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to move up, great people, field and office positions, many challenges

Cons

feast or famine work, work around dangerous chemicals

9. "Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delta, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delta, PA

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

they have good benefit package

Cons

My position requires that I am on-call once a month

"Internal Confusion"

I have been working at Williams full-time

Pros

- 1:1 401k match up to 6% of eligible earnings
    - defined benefit plan after one year with the Company. Contribution increases with age.
    - Restricted Stock Units awarded for employees in positions designated by Company as worth retaining

Cons

- Malaise among field staff, particularly those with many years of service. It is draining to be in an environment with such low morale. The most common topic of conversation is retirement - those who have recently been able to and when others will be.
    -Confusing corporate structure - difficult to find which department do what. A good deal of repeat effort across groups.
    - Age of equipment - the age of the equipment makes visiting facilities feel less than safe.
    - "We have always done it this way" - I heard this refrain more than once when trying to gather information for upcoming projects. The cry of a stagnant company
    - Employees are afraid - With so many new procedures being created, employees are operating out of a place of fear that failure to comply will be the reason to fire them.

Advice to Management

I would not know how to right a ship this massive. I would guess that upper management need to stop trying to push through so many initiatives. It is as if there is a feeling of "We have do something!". Also, trying to put regulated and unregulated facilities under the same procedures is a confused idea at best.