YRC Freight Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
James Welch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Solid pay and benefits; Great exposure to freight and logistics industry (in 20 reviews)

• They have good pay and benefits (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many layers of upper management (in 24 reviews)

• Very poor Work/Life Balance, was spending more time on administrative work then in front of customers (in 11 reviews)

1. "great place to work"

Pros

employees are valued here compared to other places

Cons

Pay seems to be less than some competitors

2. "operations supervisor"

I have been working at YRC Freight full-time

Pros

Good group of co workers

Cons

can be challenging to get proper equipment in place

Advice to Management

listen to front line management

3. "I wouldn't drive for anyone else"

Current Employee - City Pick Up and Delivery Driver in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - City Pick Up and Delivery Driver in Charleston, SC

I have been working at YRC Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My terminal is a smaller one so there is more of a family feel to it. We are known by our names not by our ID numbers. My bosses take genuine interests in my family and are very sincere in stressing the importance of safety.
    There is always oppurtunity to take leadership within the terminal. If you see something wrong or unsafe your free to stop the action or fix the action.
    The benefits are phenomenal for my family. Your not going to beat the benefit package anywhere else.
    City drivers are home every night with every weekend off.
    Paid overtime after 8 hours within any work day.
    Freedom to really get to know my customers and understand what their needs are. I actually love the fact that my customers have become great friends because of YRC Freight.
    I'm lucky because my terminal managers are fantastic!! I cannot say enough great things about them both!! They truly want us to succeed and do their best wherever they can.

Cons

The equipment is less than up to date. You will be in equipment that should be red tagged so pre and post trips are extremely important.
    You will be in the union, and you will always have those at the top that leave everything for the bottom. Their is a sense of entitlement that some display with their seniority.
    You will work most days a minimum of 10 hours.
    No uniforms!! My biggest pet peeve. We don't have uniforms provided and it takes away from our professional appearance as a team.
    We also need serious upgraded handheld equipment. Something like a smart phone that we can wear on us at all times.

Advice to Management

Let's get professional. Let's get some newer equipment for city drivers. Your city drivers are face to face with the customers. Your city drivers should look professional with uniforms and clean tractors and trailers. They represent you directly to the customer. Not trucks and trailers with duct tape and zip ties.
    Training need to improve drastically. A double seat tractor should be mandatory at all terminals to also allow for ride alongs with management as well as training.
    Straight trucks are not downtown friendly. We need to invest in more liftgate pups with the bigger platforms that actually fit a pallet without having to turn it.

"Tried it out and wasn't worth it to stay"

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Maybrook, NY
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Maybrook, NY

I worked at YRC Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good start pay for full timer. Union job with the teamsters once you get in

you will get OT because people are always leaving or call out.

Cons

The hands on part was not really that great. granted my trainer was a great guy but they have you take a supposed test for fork lift and said to the one lady I did the written part just need the other. Well hang onto everything and will see what they feel like doing if you need more training. With the guy they had me with he never really went over the way bills because they had us doing other things not related to me getting trained.

others have said it the forklifts have seen some better days. for some need to replace them.

Don't think when you join that your the last of the hired help. they are always hiring for Dock workers and you have 90 days to prove your worth and your on a on call list. If you prove good before the 90 days and don't call out or be late your hired and can bid on your hrs. but till then your at the mercy of the on call and mostly the guys that are there at the facility get first choice then it goes by seniority on the call list. so when you start out you may or may not get a call and if you do you have only a short amount of time to call back and say your coming in. And make sure you have a cell number as your point of contact. Unless your stay at home 24/7 might as well use a cell number for this company. I learned the hard way.

Advice to Management

get a better handle of when training needs to be done when you first hire people. make some kind of schedule and not fly by the seat of your pants. not this week the class room. wait a week for the hands on and oh will call you and let you know when we can do next hands on when needed

5. "LR"

I have been working at YRC Freight full-time

Pros

good hours, flexible schedule, pay

Cons

too many to list, outdated equipment, management very out of touch with employees, and treatment is horrible. would not recommend

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at YRC Freight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many Services within LTL environment, Ability to quote Truckload, Airfreight and Trade Show excellence

Cons

Equipment very old, struggling service on non guaranteed shipments, continuous restructuring to the point of concern. Sales not respected and makes aligning for results difficult

Advice to Management

Become a selling organization again and let full trailers help push service and profitability. Operations are very important but customers need to know they can count on their sales contact to make the right decision and move on to grow the business

"Bad experience overall"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bloomington, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bloomington, CA

I have been working at YRC Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits are ok not the greates but other than that not much.

Cons

Where to begin. First dealing with union employees is a pain in the butt. They are lazzy as hell and worst of all they feel entitled like the company owns them something. They act so childishly it feels like you are there to babysit not manage. If you ever think of working in Bloomington CA stay away from there unless you are another lazy union employee. This terminal needs to be shut down and lay off everyone so they can appreciate how easy there job is and how lucky they are to have a good paying job. One good thing is if you are single and are thinking about having kids go work there so you can see how not to raise your kids and trust me its will be a good parenting experience

Advice to Management

Fight the union get rid of them. Fire all the lazy trouble making employees, you guys have way to many of them. Treat your management team better and have their backs.

"Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at YRC Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Managers and co-workers always willing to lend a hand or advice.

Cons

Irrelevant in the LTL industry for the most part. Costs are structured in a way that does not allow YRC to remain competitive. Until costs can be lowered they will remain a low performing company. Competitive pricing means that most, if not all, accounts will operate at a loss in the long term. Market share to profitability to market share to profitability and back and forth and back and forth. Just look at their financial statements in the 10-k. Bankruptcy looks to be forthcoming given shareholders deficit. They may have been able to hold off due to the diversification and mergers with several other companies, but its only a matter of time. Bureaucracy is also a major issue. Silo between operations and sales.

Advice to Management

Management, as far as I could tell, is made up of hard working, smart, good people. Its tough to make a dollar in the current market conditions and their jobs are full of pressure and difficulty. There may be a need for the guys that have been there forever to move on, and let the younger generation innovate. They also need better strategic thinkers.

9. "Logistics Specialist"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I worked at YRC Freight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great job great co workers

Cons

I dont have any cons

10. "2 months out stress level totally wiped out"

Former Employee - Dockworker in Maybrook, NY
    Former Employee - Dockworker in Maybrook, NY

I worked at YRC Freight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work with disgruntled workers who do not put in their 100% let alone their 85% (-15%) and talk on their cell phones and listen to music and do not want to be bothered by dock supervisors to do work assignments while those supervisors flag down 2 or 3 people to do all the stacking work, very unorganized if you ask me, i would get jaypro loads and tire loads while a new hire gets skid loads

Cons

puts you in a crappy location to work at, unprofessional management that says racial slurs like the word kamala, favoritism if it was a yellow barn so if you were a roadway worker you would get work assignments that are tougher and treated more harsh with discipline with missing work, managers were rehired that retired cause nobody wants to work there anymore, nobody applying to work in these locations cause the area in general sucks to live in

Advice to Management

take the money and run, seems thats all this company is now, nobody in management truly cares about this company, its the titanic and i took the first lifeboat out