Zen Planner Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Zen Planner CEO Ron Lamb
Ron Lamb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The Zen Planner team is by far the best aspect of" (in 21 reviews)

• "Gym membership and other perks (beer on tap and company events), no dress code, fun and friendly employees, you can bring your dog into work" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The new people calling the shots from the level above Zen Planner do not understand our customers, our industry segment or the team at" (in 8 reviews)

• "Look to the leadership team, and you'll see a group of inexperienced managers making things up as they go" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Incredible people and a solid mission make ZP a great place to work"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After multiple years at ZP, I'm still excited to go to work every day. The people at ZP are the absolute best, and I look forward to spending time with my co-workers (and friends) during the week, and also occasional weekends. The people at ZP are motivated and relentless in their pursuit of improvement for the organization, the businesses we serve, and themselves. Yet, each person still finds time to support each other, and listen to ideas throughout the organization. We're all there to lend a hand when times are tough, and to check in on each other throughout the day. We also have the independence to express ourselves and work in the way that works for us. If you contribute above & beyond, you'll be recognized for it, and people will see you as a leader. Ultimately, our goal is simple - to make the world a healthier and happier place - and I believe we are contributing to that goal each and every day.

Yes, changes have happened since I've started, and since we've joined forces with Daxko. Change always happens, and I see that as a positive thing. A company, just like a person or an industry, that doesn't change will eventually be left behind, so I'm glad we're willing to continuously work at change, and never settle for being just good enough. Changes mean there will be discomfort, confusion, and hurt feelings. At the end of the day, though, it means we're willing to acknowledge that we're not done improving, and we're willing to work at getting better. I believe our current trajectory of embracing change and growing towards it is the right one, and even though the road might be difficult, it's the right path to be on.

Cons

Some awesome people have left over the years, mostly because they wanted to join smaller start-ups and help them grow again. Still, anything we can do to retain our top talent is worth focusing on, as we have lost some people due to an unclear path forward for advancement and/or competing offers in the Denver area.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of making changes when it makes sense, but make sure to clearly communicate what the changes are, and why we're making them, and make sure everyone on all levels understands the value of the changes!

Nov 5, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback!

"New Disconnected Owners and CEO"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Zen Planner team is by far the best aspect of Zen Planner. Everyone here supports each other, cares about our values and is dedicated to our customers and industry.

We do what we love and have total alignment in our values and passion for this company.

Cons

I’m the 2nd year after we were acquired, changes in leadership at the senior leadership level (Daxko) have done nothing but kill the spirit of the Zen Planner team. It hurts to watch.

The new people calling the shots from the level above Zen Planner do not understand our customers, our industry segment or the team at Zen Planner. It’s clear that their experience at the enterprise business level and communication style don’t apply to the team or customers at Zen Planner.

The decisions being made on how we communicate internally and with our customers do not resonate in our world. In short, they are alienating the people that make Zen Planner successful.

Advice to Management

The board, senior leadership team and the Zen Planner team are aligned in our desire to claim our place at the top. What you need to see and act on, is the fact that the Zen Planner team knows our customers better than anyone. If the senior leadership continues to extinguish the passion of the Zen Planner team, no one will see the potential success that we desire.

Help us improve, there is plenty of room to do that. But trust our industry knowledge, communication style and dedication to our team and industry.

"The fire is gone"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

While the majority of these pros have slowly changed since the introduction of our new CEO, the one thing that still remains is the innate and genuine care each Zen Planner employee has for one another. The praise and willingness to help each other will forever be an amazing quality and it has allowed me to, for a long time, look past the insensitive changes taking place amongst upper management.

Other perks include: free Friday lunch, dogs in the office, beer on tap, team events and company swag.

Cons

Since being acquired, it has become extremely evident the fire that once resided in our senior leadership team and made its way down to the remaining employees has burned out. The passion and motivation from all employee levels has been stifled by abrupt changes and the inability to communicate these changes effectively. Those who once had a voice and a direction have been muted and pushed to the side; including the leadership team who has had the employees back.

The pay is horrible compared to industry standards. Denver is a mega tech center, its time to start competing or lose your brightest talent to surrounding companies.

Advice to Management

Start reading the signs. You're seeing large scale turnover and you know the reason why. Don't look back 5 years from now and wonder why all of your passionate and spirited employees have taken their talent elsewhere. If you continue at this swinging door pace of backfilling key positions, we will never grow as a leading fitness business software. Those that love this company will do anything to see it thrive, however, many have hit a crossroads of seeing the bad outweigh the good.

4. "review"

Pros

The people that make up Zenplanner are the best part of the company

Cons

Appears to be struggling with growth which makes it hard to grow within the company

5. "Amazing until the acquisition."

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

If I could give Zen Planner five stars I would. You won’t be able to find a better group of people, it really is a family and everyone is welcomed with open arms. This team is hard working, motivated, fun, genuinely nice and has the best doggie coworkers.

Cons

Once Zen Planner was acquired by Daxko things started to go downhill. Daxko is completely inept at handling acquisitions and what made Zen Planner special was seen as a threat by Daxko because it wasn’t the Daxko way. I had some hope that it would get better when Daxko replaced the CEO but things have just gotten worse under the new CEO. Zen Planner is moving towards the standard, impersonal, 9-5 lifeless company all thanks to Daxko. There are plenty of tech companies in Denver, find one that will pay you better, and cares about it’s employees and customers. Zen Planner used to be that company 2 years ago but they aren’t anymore and the future is looking bleak.

Advice to Management

Zen Planner leadership truly cares but has had to take a backseat to the Daxko leadership which is constantly changing directions and doesn’t value the feedback from the team so I’ll save my breath.

Nov 2, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Yes, Zen Planner is growing and transitioning from a small startup to a more mature business. This growth is what we need to be able to have a large scale impact on our Vision to make the world a... More

6. "Onboarding Coach"

I worked at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

Great teammates, Committed Leadership, Awesome work environment.

Cons

Typical things with smaller 'start-ups'.

7. "Excellent Energy & Opportunity"

I worked at Zen Planner part-time

Pros

Zen Planner is a rarity of excelling in creating a warm fun culture, hiring smart personable people, and innovating for growth. Never have I encountered such an organization that does it so right while making it look so easy. Employees are genuinely happy and are given flexibility to be themselves. Management acts like normal people with flat hierarchies. There's smiles, laughs, jokes, and good nature all around. But when it's time to work, they get down to business and do it professionally.

Zen Planner is a true gem. I'm sorry I had to leave it behind but not without a heavy heart. I wish them nothing but the best.

Cons

Coffee was a little weak, ha. Invest in a Mr. Coffee and/or French Press. Productivity will soar ;)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You've created a wonderful place to call work-home.

Jan 4, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this kind review! This was such a nice way to end 2017 and ring in the new year. I appreciate what you said about our team members having the... More

"One of the first..."

I worked at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

I was one of the first people hired a Zen Planner a few years back. Overall, I loved working there. It felt close knit, like a family. I didn't like my job per say, but I wanted to do well because I cared about the company and my co-workers . I sincerely missed my co-workers after I left.

However, my favorite part was having Ben and Filipina as managers. Fun fact: they were the original co-founders of Zen Planner and they were amazing. I heard they left not too long after I did, but honestly they were a HUGE reason why that place was so great. They came up with the idea of OHANA. They really cared about you and you felt it.

I can see how people think it's 'cult-ish'. Back in my day, it was a nice balance. Some people were a little extreme about fitness and it got a little too much into ZP brand love, but overall the people I helped hire were awesome, genuine, and hard working. I'm really proud of them and the things they are doing now.

Cons

The pay was VERY low at the time. I had to get another job just to make ends meet. Every time I tried to ask for a raise the CEO, Jeff, got really mad. I was scared of him. I would only ask for little raises at a time because he would act so appalled when I wanted to make a livable wage. I was worried if I asked too much at once, he would just let me go. I'll tell you, I was only making $24k/year. Eventually I told him I had to quit if I couldn't make more because he was requiring I stay late which interfered with my other job. He begrudgingly gave in but with the stipulation that I'd be working late every day. It seems like things are better now maybe?

There were a couple people that made your skin crawl a bit. Like, you always have to be watching your back so you don't get metaphorically stabbed.

Advice to Management

Pay people a livable wage. Ping pong tables and yoga is great, but if you require people to stay late and be loyal then show them you appreciate them by paying them not only what they need but what they deserve.

Dec 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback – it means a lot! We hear from many team members how much they miss their coworkers, and many remain friends even after moving on to... More

9. "Corporate Finance"

Pros

The culture at Zen Planner is second to none. Every individual is motivated and focused on improving customer experience and facilitating proper business practices.

Cons

The location of Zen Planner is far from certain metropolitan hubs.

Advice to Management

Maintain the same work/lifestyle balance and you will continue to attract top talent from all over the United States.

Dec 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave this kind review. We really appreciate it! We definitely see our team members’ motivation and dedication to customers every single day. We wish you all the best!

"I love working here"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

It's not just the dogs and beer and great office environment and it's not just the amazing product and our customers who are really fun to work with, I love this place because I work with the best people I've ever met. Everyone here cares - they care about our customers, they care about their coworkers and they care about their health. It's great to be around people with so much passion.

Cons

It's not really a startup, but it feels like it sometimes. Really fast paced, lots of "trying things out," patience is required for sure.

Advice to Management

Keep working to create opportunities for growth for employees. I think a lot more people would stay longer-term if there was more growth.