Zen Planner Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Zen Planner CEO Ron Lamb
Ron Lamb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The Zen Planner team is by far the best aspect of" (in 21 reviews)

• "Gym membership and other perks (beer on tap and company events), no dress code, fun and friendly employees, you can bring your dog into work" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The new people calling the shots from the level above Zen Planner do not understand our customers, our industry segment or the team at" (in 8 reviews)

• "No bonus opportunities under new leadership team (although new CEO has promised to fix this, it is yet to be seen), low yearly raises" (in 4 reviews)

"Great Team!"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people and a great work environment! I have been here for a little over 2 years. Changes happen at any company and the people here are always up for the challenge. I am always amazed and excited by just how hard everyone works. Also a great community of outdoor lovers and fitness enthusiasts. HUGE plus!

Cons

Every company has its ups and downs. No complaints here. Just usual growth changes.

"Great opportunity to develop your career."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, kind leadership team, good career development opportunities.

Cons

Growing pains, location could be better.

"The BEST place to work!"

Current Employee - Strategic Relationship Manager in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Strategic Relationship Manager in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic group of people
    Lot's of opportunity to progress your career
    Great company culture

Cons

Nothing has come up I would consider a con

Mar 7, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

We agree that Zen Planner is the BEST place to work! Thank you for your review!

"Crumbling Technology Organization"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people. Zen Planner has several talented engineers, and everyone is nice to be around. Your co-workers start to feel like family. Also, flexibility. The company offers (sort of) unlimited PTO and relatively flexible scheduling. The office is casual, with beers on tap and no dress code.

Cons

The legacy software. No software engineer wants to work on brittle code using a language that wasn't even that popular popular fifteen years ago. Different pieces of the application have been rewritten multiple times by multiple different teams, but the work was either never finished or poorly maintained. It feels like it's been touched by 10 different sets of hands and there's no consistency. Debugging is a huge pain. The frontend code does not use a modern framework. Which means everything is harder than is should be. Leadership seems to only care about pumping out features with disregard for system maintainability.

People are leaving. It's not great to watch some of our best engineers walk out the door.

If you're an engineer thinking about applying, pay attention to who's writing the reviews on here because not everyone's an engineer.

Advice to Management

You don't understand the complexities of the engineering problems we're dealing with and don't listen adequately to people who do. You seem to understand that people are your most valuable asset but at the same time, it doesn't come through in the way you don't seem to show respect to or value your engineering team.

"Used to be the best"

Former Employee - Marketing in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Zen Planner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture was the best.

Cons

The pay needs to be better.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - SDR in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - SDR in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Motivated team, great atmosphere, structured training

Cons

some of the metrics used to monitor the success of an SDR could be tweaked to more accurately reflect our progress/performance

Mar 7, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback on the sales metrics - we'll certainly share that with our CRO. We also love our team members and the amazing atmosphere in the office!

"Lost Leadership"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people working within the organization. The customers you're supporting are truly making the world a healthier, happier place.

Cons

"Leadership" in the form of a guy coming from a dinosaur of an industry, trying to lead a company full of young, energetic, passionate people. The focus has shifted from making our customers wildly successful, to trying to squeeze a penny out of every avenue possible. Lastly, painfully low pay.

Advice to Management

The last thing the CEO needs is more coaching. It's understood that it takes a different type of individual to take a company from 1 million a year, to 10 million a year, to 100 million, but there's a way to do it with a little bit of soul. Right now, there isn't much soul. Even the youthful leadership team, many of whom filled in after half of their superiors opted to leave, is starting to look a little work down and these guys are rockstars. The top position and pay need to be reevaluated.

"The fire is gone"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

While the majority of these pros have slowly changed since the introduction of our new CEO, the one thing that still remains is the innate and genuine care each Zen Planner employee has for one another. The praise and willingness to help each other will forever be an amazing quality and it has allowed me to, for a long time, look past the insensitive changes taking place amongst upper management.

Other perks include: free Friday lunch, dogs in the office, beer on tap, team events and company swag.

Cons

Since being acquired, it has become extremely evident the fire that once resided in our senior leadership team and made its way down to the remaining employees has burned out. The passion and motivation from all employee levels has been stifled by abrupt changes and the inability to communicate these changes effectively. Those who once had a voice and a direction have been muted and pushed to the side; including the leadership team who has had the employees back.

The pay is horrible compared to industry standards. Denver is a mega tech center, its time to start competing or lose your brightest talent to surrounding companies.

Advice to Management

Start reading the signs. You're seeing large scale turnover and you know the reason why. Don't look back 5 years from now and wonder why all of your passionate and spirited employees have taken their talent elsewhere. If you continue at this swinging door pace of backfilling key positions, we will never grow as a leading fitness business software. Those that love this company will do anything to see it thrive, however, many have hit a crossroads of seeing the bad outweigh the good.

Dec 27, 2018 – Director of People

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We’re happy that you value the same things we see as our greatest assets, the people and their passion.

As for the changes, we want... More

"New Disconnected Owners and CEO"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Zen Planner team is by far the best aspect of Zen Planner. Everyone here supports each other, cares about our values and is dedicated to our customers and industry.

We do what we love and have total alignment in our values and passion for this company.

Cons

I’m the 2nd year after we were acquired, changes in leadership at the senior leadership level (Daxko) have done nothing but kill the spirit of the Zen Planner team. It hurts to watch.

The new people calling the shots from the level above Zen Planner do not understand our customers, our industry segment or the team at Zen Planner. It’s clear that their experience at the enterprise business level and communication style don’t apply to the team or customers at Zen Planner.

The decisions being made on how we communicate internally and with our customers do not resonate in our world. In short, they are alienating the people that make Zen Planner successful.

Advice to Management

The board, senior leadership team and the Zen Planner team are aligned in our desire to claim our place at the top. What you need to see and act on, is the fact that the Zen Planner team knows our customers better than anyone. If the senior leadership continues to extinguish the passion of the Zen Planner team, no one will see the potential success that we desire.

Help us improve, there is plenty of room to do that. But trust our industry knowledge, communication style and dedication to our team and industry.

Dec 27, 2018 – Director of People

Thank you for your detailed review, this is very helpful. You’re right, the people within Zen Planner really set us apart. It is also true that we are currently going through some changes right now... More

"Going Downhill Fast"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

Company paid social events are common. We often go out for happy hour or have one in the office. Often during work hours. Snacks, Keg, Friday lunch, lots of small company paid benefits to make it an enjoyable place to be, if you can ignore all the problems...

Cons

Management expects but does not reward hard work. No bonus opportunities under new leadership team (although new CEO has promised to fix this, it is yet to be seen), low yearly raises.

This place used to reward people for working hard and people did work hard. It is very quickly turning into the typical corporate company where hard work does not pay off, politics do. People now work their 8 hours and run for the hills. I remember when we worked hard to meet deadlines, because we all cared about the company, this is far away in the rearview mirror.

Advice to Management

For Ron, a smile or a return of a good morning wont kill you.

For the ZP leadership team, please be more real with us. Optimism is great but when it is used always it is clear that you are not being honest with us.