Zen Planner Reviews | Glassdoor

Zen Planner CEO Dave Gray
Dave Gray
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Energy & Opportunity"

I worked at Zen Planner part-time

Pros

Zen Planner is a rarity of excelling in creating a warm fun culture, hiring smart personable people, and innovating for growth. Never have I encountered such an organization that does it so right while making it look so easy. Employees are genuinely happy and are given flexibility to be themselves. Management acts like normal people with flat hierarchies. There's smiles, laughs, jokes, and good nature all around. But when it's time to work, they get down to business and do it professionally.

Zen Planner is a true gem. I'm sorry I had to leave it behind but not without a heavy heart. I wish them nothing but the best.

Cons

Coffee was a little weak, ha. Invest in a Mr. Coffee and/or French Press. Productivity will soar ;)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You've created a wonderful place to call work-home.

Jan 4, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this kind review! This was such a nice way to end 2017 and ring in the new year. I appreciate what you said about our team members having the... More

"One of the first..."

I worked at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

I was one of the first people hired a Zen Planner a few years back. Overall, I loved working there. It felt close knit, like a family. I didn't like my job per say, but I wanted to do well because I cared about the company and my co-workers . I sincerely missed my co-workers after I left.

However, my favorite part was having Ben and Filipina as managers. Fun fact: they were the original co-founders of Zen Planner and they were amazing. I heard they left not too long after I did, but honestly they were a HUGE reason why that place was so great. They came up with the idea of OHANA. They really cared about you and you felt it.

I can see how people think it's 'cult-ish'. Back in my day, it was a nice balance. Some people were a little extreme about fitness and it got a little too much into ZP brand love, but overall the people I helped hire were awesome, genuine, and hard working. I'm really proud of them and the things they are doing now.

Cons

The pay was VERY low at the time. I had to get another job just to make ends meet. Every time I tried to ask for a raise the CEO, Jeff, got really mad. I was scared of him. I would only ask for little raises at a time because he would act so appalled when I wanted to make a livable wage. I was worried if I asked too much at once, he would just let me go. I'll tell you, I was only making $24k/year. Eventually I told him I had to quit if I couldn't make more because he was requiring I stay late which interfered with my other job. He begrudgingly gave in but with the stipulation that I'd be working late every day. It seems like things are better now maybe?

There were a couple people that made your skin crawl a bit. Like, you always have to be watching your back so you don't get metaphorically stabbed.

Advice to Management

Pay people a livable wage. Ping pong tables and yoga is great, but if you require people to stay late and be loyal then show them you appreciate them by paying them not only what they need but what they deserve.

Dec 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback – it means a lot! We hear from many team members how much they miss their coworkers, and many remain friends even after moving on to... More

3. "Corporate Finance"

Pros

The culture at Zen Planner is second to none. Every individual is motivated and focused on improving customer experience and facilitating proper business practices.

Cons

The location of Zen Planner is far from certain metropolitan hubs.

Advice to Management

Maintain the same work/lifestyle balance and you will continue to attract top talent from all over the United States.

Dec 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave this kind review. We really appreciate it! We definitely see our team members’ motivation and dedication to customers every single day. We wish you all the best!

"I love working here"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

It's not just the dogs and beer and great office environment and it's not just the amazing product and our customers who are really fun to work with, I love this place because I work with the best people I've ever met. Everyone here cares - they care about our customers, they care about their coworkers and they care about their health. It's great to be around people with so much passion.

Cons

It's not really a startup, but it feels like it sometimes. Really fast paced, lots of "trying things out," patience is required for sure.

Advice to Management

Keep working to create opportunities for growth for employees. I think a lot more people would stay longer-term if there was more growth.

"Don't buy into the hype"

I worked at Zen Planner full-time

Pros

There are some amazing people that work there.

Cons

While OHANA (their core value acronym) means "family" in Hawaiian, Zen Planner does not treat the team as family. Employees are disposable. Zen Planner expects all employees to live and breathe the brand, but they show no loyalty in return. Low wages and stressful work environments are masked by a "cool" startup culture vibe. Look to the leadership team, and you'll see a group of inexperienced managers making things up as they go.

Advice to Management

Rather than looking at your employees as cheap labor, that you can replace at the drop of the hat, invest in them. Provide the proper training and create a supportive environment. Don't ignore your turnover rate; it has been a problem for years.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the people the people... every employee here is so incredibly awesome! I laugh every single day at work and wake up feeling like I get to go hang out with my friends in addition to getting my job done. Very casual environment, exercise at lunch is encouraged, dogs in the office, team lunches, and a 'family' vibe amongst the whole office.

Cons

Salaries could be higher and the location could be more convenient for people commuting from Denver. However, all the pros far outweigh the cons!

"A positive work environment"

Pros

Very carefully cultivated culture of fun and respect. A positive, inclusive work environment.

Cons

The culture only goes so far to offset fairly low pay and a repetitive grind.

"Well Run Company, Great People, Amazing Vision"

Former Employee - Market Development Representative
    Former Employee - Market Development Representative

Pros

The management at Zen Planner works really hard to hire the "right" people. This means that the company interviews a ton of applicants and select individuals who seem to fit the culture and the team. Each team has a different vibe; this is partially due to the job description (salespeople are different than developers who are different than support peeps). The management was very transparent. Jeff (the CEO) shares a lot of himself and is very vested into the company. The entry level employees are recognized for hard work and sharing the company values. Zen Planner honors hard work but it isn't without the fun balance. I love the people I worked with and learned so much from my experience there. I feel that the people who have given poor reviews have either never learned to apply themselves and truly worked to their ability or didn't invest into their coworkers. It's a group of amazing people working toward an awesome goal and it is evident that Zen Planner will own their markets soon.

Cons

Being so far outside of the city is tough as many of the employees live downtown. More organized lunch outings to workout would be welcome.

Advice to Management

Keep investing into furthering your employee's education and skills for their respective jobs/goals. Allow the teams to collaborate more daily.

"Zen Planner will have to close to get rid of me"

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zen Planner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Zen Planner can go one of 2 ways and it comes down to WHY you would decide to work here. If you want to work here based on the advertised perks (beer, dogs, no dress code, etc) you will have a normal JOB with a cool group of people. Realistically, it is still a job and you will still have numbers to hit, stress and a grind just like anywhere else. If you want this job because you want to help the fitness community that you are part of, give back and believe what you do daily makes a difference you will never want to leave. I believe that the customers I help daily have a better chance at positively impacting the lives of their clients and community. I want to spread the experiences that I've had to as many people as possible. If I didn't work here I would have still tried to find away to do that. Sharing Zen Planner is the way I get to make an impact on a larger scale. Knowing that I accomplish that makes the stress and struggle that you would find at any job totally worth it.

Cons

We are a just passing the start up phase and there are constant changes to game plans, goals and processes. For some it's too much.

Advice to Management

With the exception of a few, most people believe in what we are doing. Communication and understanding is the key. Make sure we hire the right people for the right reasons.

"Avoid at all costs, poor pay and long hours, too much management."

Former Employee - Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Developer in Denver, CO

Pros

Like everyone else has said, if you are personal friends with management you get perks. They pack up and go have fun while the developers and support are ALWAYS WORKING.

If its your first job, the try them...work for six months get some xp and then find a new gig.

Cons

Management VS developers.

Customer complaints are all over the internet, no one cares.

DEVS: There us nothing worse than getting micromanaged by someone who doesn't know what CSS is. Beware of the lack of technical knowledge in the organization, it makes for a lengthy change process and lots of technical debt; be prepared to fix/patch ancient code from years of bad development. Not all the technical team is bad, they try really hard but the massive management overhead sinks them over and over.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends and college roommates..... hire seasoned management that knows how to run a SOFTWARE company. YOU RUN A SOFTWARE COMPANY, not a gym.

Fire all the overpaid and under qualified product and business members, they add nothing. Everyone knows exactly who they are, what they dont know, and how much they are not engaged.

End the bizarre frat / bro-grammer culture; get serious people in with experience building and selling to small fitness businesses.