hybris Software Reviews | Glassdoor

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Software Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Software Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at hybris Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, smart people, hard working people, using the latest technologies, a lot of opportunity to learn and grow, clean office, interesting projects, traveling

Cons

There are no cons in my opinion. This is an excellent place.

"Great company (technology, culture, people, office)."

I have been working at hybris Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very positive work environment. Interesting customer projects. Supportive and casual work environment of people who cooperate together and support each other. Low to no politics. Great growth (office has expanded twice in two years). Competent, supportive management. Good work/life balance - flexibility to just do your job. From what I can tell the Chicago office has perhaps the best hybris spirit, culture and environment of any hybris office. Very high-tech and open (both in space and communications) office. No closed/private offices. You won't be micro managed, but being a self starter and willing to jump in will help your career. Training is done in the office on hybris software. Certification becomes a requirement after training. Travel required (varies based on position). Bonus target (developers) is 15% of base and has over achieved the past two years. SAP is bringing hybris into more/bigger deals and projects. US benefits improving with SAP. Comp (base plus bonus) seems to be market to above (based on performance). Drinks in the fridge, lunch on Friday, fresh fruit delivered weekly.

Cons

SAP is negatively influencing processes and to a smaller extent the culture. Other SAP groups are adding confusion to hybris sales cycles and implementation projects. Integration is losing hybris focused support in areas such as IT, HR & finance. hybris position and influence within SAP in uncertain.

Advice to Management

Great job so far. Help drive the hybris culture and environment into SAP and not vice versa.

"hybris was Derived From Hubris"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at hybris Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm definitely getting the sense that hybris is a culture of wanting to kick butt. And there isn't a bunch of pointless stuff getting in the way of that objective. While there's plenty of debate as to how to achieve our goals, it's always respectful and generally productive here from what I've seen.

There is truth to the silo phenomenon others have observed. The other side of that coin is that teams have a lot of discretion in terms of how to achieve their goals. That includes a fair amount of discretion in terms of project management and technology choices for new projects. This is not always convenient for those of us who tend to pinch hit on a lot of different projects but not a downer for me as I dig the opportunities to learn new stuff and would rather not be doing the same things every day. But I have observed to many cooks in a kitchen on one project. Some of this is due to a recent rejiggering of departments and groups I suspect.

Goals seem clearly communicated and we have ambitions in areas that seem like the right directions to be moving to me. I have been here a couple months now and have yet to see politics get in the way of identifying or solving an obvious problem.

The Chicago office is gorgeous and our expansion plans might very well be cooler than anything they've done in the bay area. We're treated like adults. There's beer in the fridge and even a keg in the cooler and no one thinks twice about grabbing a beer towards the end of the day or during general tech presentations held every Friday. People regularly work from or start the day at home, sometimes multiple days a week as many of us have to attend meetings early in the morning with Europe and nobody would think twice about asking to work from home for family/personal reasons. There's also plenty of fresh fruit and drinks to be had and free lunch on Fridays.

There's plenty of travel for a lot of roles but travel to places like Munich, Montreal, Boulder, Poland, etc...

The biggest seller for me so far is that people are by and large, nice, approachable, not afraid, smart, etc... All signs of people who are accustomed to having successes and higher than typical expectations in a work place.

Cons

It's a quibble but I really hate branding that makes a proper nouns lower-case. Typing "hybris" repeatedly bugs the hell out of me and makes me feel wrong.

Health insurance in Chicago is a choice between a great-on-paper more or less free ride on the deductible plan with one of the worst-ranked providers in Illinois (Aetna) or 200 a month towards an Obama-care plan of your choice. That was kind of a bummer with an extra dash of irony given that our HQ is in Germany, whose health care system is probably among the finest and most freely accessible to its citizens in the world.

With the bonus, my salary will be competitive. That's not what bonuses are for. If I didn't value culture as much as I did, I could do a lot better.

The vast majority of the existing code base is Java. Cleaner than usual from the looks of it (I've had a lot of negative Java experiences) but still with plenty of build problems.

None of that bothered me enough to knock it down a star but one potential dark cloud on the horizon that might is our recent acquisition by SAP, a company very much in the vein of massively too huge to fail IBM-ish type companies that wanted us for our ability to deliver competent user experiences, which is something such companies tend to struggle with because their own gargantuan soul-crushing, excessively procedure-oriented cultures send people with any hing of an imagination running for cover.

hybris management has promised to keep us well-insulated from SAP politics and procedures and there is supposedly buy-in from SAP on this insulation as well but integrating with their IT is already proving to be a bit restrictive and painful and I've worked for monolithic companies like this before. I think it's in their nature to carpet bomb everything with procedure until everything is uniform and completely devoid of .anything resembling a productive or imaginative work environment.

Advice to Management

US health insurance can be real monsters on the lower tiers. There is nothing more frustrating or stressful than a company attempting to not pay for your care by acting like it's been making clerical errors and other mistakes for months at a time, dragging out (in our case) a very painful and expensive miscarriage. It's not a good thing to carry with you to work every day when it happens. We need better options than Aetna.

The build issue is pretty much endemic to Java code bases in my experience so I don't think the Java devs tend to notice as much but build configuration issues waste a lot of time and not just for developers. We should really solve the hell out of that problem and test to ensure that anyone can build any app, at any time with a one-liner in any terminal window on any OS. If we write tests that guarantee anything, it should be that one thing over all else. I've lost days trying to resolve several issues already and spent weeks being blocked on a critical multi-team blocking issue because of chronic build pain. I had other work to focus on so it wasn't as frustrating as it could have been but it's a problem that needs to be solved with extreme prejudice.

You may want to have a look at what IBM is doing with their Node.js-based services. Try it out. Notice how quick and hassle-free installation was. Java's known for a lot of things, not all of them bad, but moving quickly isn't one of them. It might be the first smart technology move IBM's made in a long time and I was shocked they made it.

Also, as far as I can tell, most of our competitors aren't doing anything very sexy in terms of restful service client-side interface libraries that work well, with or without Angular. There's a hole to be filled there.

4. "Great place to work. Great people. The kind of job you look forward to coming to."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at hybris Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at this company are what makes it so great. It definitely has a family feel, and is a great environment to learn in. We have several company events and happy hours, free beer, and free catered lunch on Fridays! What could be better?

Cons

A few growing pains, but the culture hasn't seemed to be negatively affected. Things may change now that SAP has purchased the company.

5. "Great Culture"

I worked at hybris Software full-time

Pros

Very strong culture with a tight team. This can be a limitation for new people, but it allows for a greater focus.

Cons

The acquisition by SAP makes it part of a very large organization. That larger organization for some is not a great fit. However, it did lead to much better benefits and perks.

6. "Technical Consultant"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

Pros

Good environment.
    Remote working Ok.
    Employee are generally nice.

Cons

Management sometimes go to micro management if you get the "right" manager.
    Salary not competitive.
    There are company political stuff.
    Projects are not enough for every employee

"Great People, Cool Product, Excellent Company Culture"

I have been working at hybris Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

hybris is a dynamic, constantly changing place full of interesting opportunities and challenges. The extreme growth over the past years has shaped the company and made it more mature, and working on and with a very successful product is very rewarding.
    Management is easily approachable and has open doors - and listens to concerns. People are treated with great respect, and there's a general positive, friendly atmosphere in the offices.
    Most importantly, hybris employs great people and fosters social interactions, making it a very fun place to work.

Cons

- Middle management is not always as competent as desirable, due to rapid growth and hiring
    - Growth requires constant re-organisation, often leading to confusion and sometimes opaque decision making processes

8. "No Vision, no goal (YaaS)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Pros

- Very nice and competent team mates.
    - International atmosphere. Language is English.
    - New technologies (if you work in the right team).
    - SAP's a great company. Good benefits.

Cons

- The business and product strategy of YaaS changes every few months. Nobody knows exactly what the vision and goals are. There's no focus.
    - Management's not qualified enough (with a few exceptions). There's no vision, no connection to the employees, no understanding of employees.
    - High turnover in management in the last few months. 'Nuff said.
    - Atmosphere in the office is rather anonymous and cold. Most people don't say "good morning" or even acknowledge one another in passing.
    - Not many possibilities for personal growth. My experience was that people managers don't take their job serious enough and support with career development and such. SAP provides you with so many resources and options to grow your career, but I had to learn about them all by myself. No support from my manager ... at all.

Advice to Management

- Listen to feedback!
    - Focus instead of trying everything and achieving nothing.

9. "Great company to work for"

Pros

Agile environment in an agile economy
    Innovation driven
    Work Life balance is possible, you just need to take care of yourself

Cons

Like every large company, not as "agile" than a startup anymore

10. "Senior Architect"

Current Employee - Software Architect
    Current Employee - Software Architect

I have been working at hybris Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary, flexible working hours

Cons

Too much conflicts and politics. Horrible place to work at