iHeartMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert W. (Bob) Pittman

1,107 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No room for growth because the company always has layoffs where they "discontinue a position (in 32 reviews)

• Less than benefits, very low pay (in 54 reviews)

1. "Great room for growth!"

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at iHeartMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow your professional skills. There are so many different departments and teams to explore many people stay for a long time

Cons

Ultimately a sales team with sales goals. Can be stressful at times

Advice to Management

promote from within

2. "talented people"

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

iHeart gets a lot of flack, crap, shade, a bad rap but radio is a brutal business and tough decisions had to be made for the good of the company. While those decisions hurt some people, if you looked at them objectively, they were, at the least, logical.

Also, when I worked there, they gave me the freedom to do my job as long as I got it done. I know that wasn't true for everyone I worked with but it was for me and I appreciated that. They did reward excellence and I feel, especially at KFAN and K102, I worked with some of the best people in the business.

Cons

Because they are owned by Bain Capital, I think sometimes the focus is on short term gain instead of long term solvency. Given the health of radio during the recession of 2000-2008, scrambling to just survive is understandable but, for example, if more time was devoted to serving the needs of current clients and less on getting more clients, it would be better.

Downsizing and streamlining, a Bain Capital signature move, has also left smaller markets with voice tracked talent from bigger cities and has depleted the "minor leagues" so kids just getting into the business have no where to learn their craft.

Advice to Management

Put a great emphasis on customer service for clients, including a better focus on creating effective commercials.

3. "Event Assistant"

I have been working at iHeartMedia part-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, good people, like the work.

Cons

Will not hire full time employees. Keeps several part time employees on staff so do not have to pay benefits.

4. "Street Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at iHeartMedia part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun job. You get tickets to all the concerts/amusement parks. Young managers and coworkers. Laid back, not difficult at all.

Cons

No room for growth. Minimum wage. No benefits. No pay raises. It's event based so if there aren't a lot of shows/events going on then you don't get a lot of hours. For example, Decemeber-February are so slow. You NEED to get another job during this time or figure out how to make money.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees. Give bonuses,raises to those that deserve it.

5. "Ok place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at iHeartMedia (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Listening to music all day and potential to meet radio celebs was fun

Cons

Stressful work environment. No hope of being promoted to next level

Advice to Management

Give employees opportunity to shine.

6. "National Media Consultant"

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time

Pros

Unlimited ceiling for earning. Great co-workers and management. 70/30% outbound/inbound opportunities. Really fun business.

Cons

Lots of competition between sales divisions. That is really the biggest barrier to success that some big with in Chicago is going to take the deal you prospected. So there is regular in-fighting pretty standard.

Advice to Management

None.

7. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time

Pros

Team players, a lot of fun perks, great assets, fun environment

Cons

Corporate ideals can hinder productivity

8. "I know you're in debt but you need to find a way to increase pay"

I worked at iHeartMedia part-time

Pros

Get to work cool events i.e concerts. Getting tickets to concerts and other events. Networking opportunities

Cons

Pay, Pay, and No opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Promotions Assistant are the face of the radio station as well as personalities. They can make of break a remote. Compensate PA's by giving us the remote fee. Stop micro managing. Be proactive instead of reactive

9. "Overworked and Underpaid"

I have been working at iHeartMedia part-time

Pros

Love the people I work with, occasional concert perks and celebrity appearances are fun.

Cons

Been here for almost 7 years since I started as an intern. I was originally hired as a board operator for a measly $10/hour but now log a considerable majority of my hours as a voice over talent/producer for the same pay. Aside from the studios of employees that are higher up, the production equipment and software is at least 10 years outdated and in some cases actually collecting dust. On busy production days, jocks and production employees have to muscle for a studio to work in, yet there is an entire suite of studios where our traffic department used to be that are unused and out of date. The answer you get when you ask anyone about studio updates is that it "isn't in the budget." Meanwhile, the sales department always seems to have catered meetings and one time even had a light up ping pong table right on the sales floor. Not to mention our employee kitchen area just got redone last year. For such a huge company that touts their "high quality" advertising skills to their clients, it is disappointing and misleading that they rarely ever invest in the department that actually executes the finished product. Also, there is a common understanding that you'll never get a raise or promotion and that you're simply just "lucky to be here."

Advice to Management

Recognize employees for the hard work they put in, and allocate your budget to where it's actually needed.

10. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Fun people with lots of creative minds. If one’s focus is to become a Dj, have lots of patience and perseverance. The plus side is the networking potential within the iHeart company.

Cons

Opportunities might not come overnight with only limited amount of broadcasting jobs in house. Get in where you fit in

Advice to Management

Nothing at the moment.

Showing 1,107 of 1,216 reviews