marcus evans Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
marcus evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans

Pros
  • We have the opportunity to travel to domestic and international office locations and also attend events all over the world (in 10 reviews)

• The best sales training an inside B2B sales rep could ask for (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for an easy role where you can live off a steady base salary then this is not the job for you (in 32 reviews)

• Low base salary is barely enough to get by on (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Summits offers everything winners want in a career"

Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at marcus evans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started with the company in London as a 22 year old graduate from Oxford and LSE in October 2009. I had just decided to not pursue a training contract with Clifford Chance (my dream company), so instead thought I'd take a sales job with Marcus Evans until Christmas and then figure it out/get a proper job. 7 years later I'm still here and I still love it the same as I did, if not more than I did in year 1, year 2, year 3 etc.

Looking back, I'm so grateful to the person that put the advert on Gumtree (Craig's list in USA) and kick started my career. Now, when I meet with my ex investment banker friends that have become cupcake cake makers, or lawyers turned actors, or recruitment consultants on their 10th job because they've worked for a glamorous blue chip and hated every minute, it always reaffirms how much I love my job and company.

Pros-

- Travel: Been to 20+ countries with the company
    - International Transfer Opportunities: Transferred to the Manhattan Office for 2 years
    - Money: Aggressive commissions and very generous bonuses
    - Training: Learn sales, account management and business from the best in the industry
    - Career growth: Clear and transparent promotion structure
    - No bureaucracy: 100% privately owned by Marcus Evans. No board or shareholders. Things get done and your voice can be heard
    - Colleagues and Culture: Everyone works hard and play hard. Work together like family
    - Hunt and Farm: Find the clients and develop long term relationships with the same clients
    - Don't get sold the job like other sales jobs: We are who we are and the job is what it is
    We are transparent about the opportunities and the challenges
    - Everyone started bottom up: CEOs, Directors, Managers and Team Leaders all started at the entry level and worked their way up. It's 100% meritocratic
    - Diversity: Every office has a mix of international backgrounds, cultures, ages, experience
    - Employability: A career with Marcus Evans speaks volumes on a CV/resume
    Product innovation: Our Summits product and what we do for our clients is constantly evolving and is light years ahead of other companies

Cons

- Managing and working with people who do not have a winning mentality or are negative
    - Need to make a case for certain things to be done, which can be time consuming
    - A great deal of attention is given to the careers and goals of entry level execs, senior execs and lower management, not always the same for middle management
    - Can be uncomfortable at the beginning
    - Need patience, don't make money right away
    - Some support functions are poor eg finance
    - Other divisions can be unprofessional
    - Online nonsense from losers or other divisions can hurt
    - (Con for some) Success is a choice and requires extra dedication to make it happen, people with a 9-5 mentality don't become CEOs and world leaders

Advice to Management

Don't hire losers, they're a waste of your time and an insult to the rockstar in the London Summits Team

Feb 22, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thanks so much for such a comprehensive review. We've also noted the 'cons' and your advice to management. Wishing you continued success.

"Whirlwind Experience. Not Perfect but Darn Good."

Former Employee - Director, Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director, Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IMPORTANT - Marcus Evans is extremely decentralised. The experience of an employee in one business unit is not likely to have any relation to what you might experience in another business unit. In Chicago there is a GM that encourages office socialising, but otherwise do not expect to interact with other Divisions.

With that being said, these comments are specific to the Summit's Delegate Acquisition Division & Department.

* Incredible opportunities to travel around the country especially places like Las Vegas, Florida, and California!
    * All-expense paid work trips to 5 star resorts like Ritz Carlton, Waldorf Astoria, & Four Seasons.
    * The best sales training an inside B2B sales rep could ask for.
    * Exposure to C-suite executives across various Fortune 1000 industries which is a crash course in helping you figure out what industry you might want to work in next.
    * I had multiple opportunities to travel abroad with the company, but those are reserved for the top 10% performers or senior management.
    * Exceptional, consistent brand image.
    * The best product I've ever sold. I genuinely and deeply believe in the quality of the Summit business model and know how much it's helped my clients. It's a great product.
    * Rapid growth opportunity
    * Ability to earn your own paychecks
    * Some of the most wonderful colleagues in the world. In the decade I worked at Marcus Evans I met many friends I will have for a lifetime, but 4 people in particular who my life would feel incomplete without. If this company recruits that quality of people they are doing something right!

Cons

* The Summits CEO in Cyprus is not a nice person and will throw a colleague under the bus without blinking an eye. It's quite sad because he overshadows the many, many spectacular people in the company.
    * You cannot make a top-tier wage if you are only willing to work 40 hours a week. It's just not possible if you are only putting in the bare minimum effort and, unfortunately, a lot of the managers are forced to cultivate a culture of mediocrity because lazy employees are litigious. Do not take this job if you are going to whine about having to work hard. You don't deserve it.
    * Only a con if you are a whimp! This is a 24-hour sales cycle. If you are afraid to ask for business over the phone on the first call, you don't have the right stuff for this role.

I loved my time at ME and valued the pros and the cons as the learning experiences that prepared me for my next role. Don't believe everything you read on Glassdoor or other sites. Most of the negative reviews are from people that didn't have the work ethic, tenacity, or passion to do the role in the first place. The company is not perfect, but it's a good place to grow.

Advice to Management

Marcus - spend more time being the face of the company to your employees. We simply want to hear your vision, from you.
    Ban excessive office supplies and use that very wasteful budget to upgrade and expand the access to electronics for all employees.

Feb 20, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you very much for your candid insights into your time here at marcus evans. They have been shared with the Senior team for further discussion. We wish you every success in your next role.

3. "Not a great experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Willing teammates, nice office, friendly employees

Cons

Outdated computers, Not enough computers for everyone, Will have you use your personal LinkedIn accounts to find leads

Feb 22, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We really appreciate your insights and feedback to help us improve our offering. We're very proud of our people and how they bring our offices around ... More

"account representative"

Pros

you can make great money

Cons

high turnover because high stress

Advice to Management

be fair to all employees

Feb 20, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thanks so much for your review and feedback. It's a tough job and not for everyone. We wish you success in your journey forward.

"Conference Producer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at marcus evans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slow pace, Good Life-work balance, nice environment. Young people. Mid-level managers are awesome, social activities are great, if you don't have any experience and just graduated from college is a good opportunity but don't stay long time. Nice location at the NBC Tower in Chicago downtown, travel opportinities

Cons

the lowest salaries ever, barely growing opportunities, basic benefits package, there is any possibility to work from home, dressing code, no microwave at the office, insurance could be better

Feb 20, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. I am currently reviewing all feedback here on Glassdoor. Your points have been noted. I'm thrilled to hear that there are so many positives for you.

"Codl Calling"

Pros

Great people, working in teams, fast pace

Cons

Cold Calling, commission based, can be slow

Advice to Management

N/A

Feb 20, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thanks so much for taking a minute to share your feedback. We appreciate it. Every success!

"Avoid at all costs"

I worked at marcus evans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uh they hire you right away, no background checks or drug testing.

Cons

Extreme turnover, micromanaging, robotic scripts, burn and churn type company, lying to "customers", extreme cheapness of company (can't provide wifi, adequate computers, heck-not when a microwave), zero privacy for employees, no freedom (having working hours is one thing but someone timing your breaks, bathroom stops and moments not in productivity is awful). No perks- I was not taken out to lunch or drinks ONCE on company dollar- pathetic and cheep.
    No 401k plan- run!
    Don't be fooled by the company like i was.

Advice to Management

Give employees a liveable base salary, don't encourage or force managers to micromanage, if you are such a great big company invest in a few private spaces for employees, invest in better crm- don't be a cheep company-things would be much more efficient with computers for all employees with a well implemented crm system, and get a microwave for goodness sakes.
    Some people will put up with that but truly great people will see through the companies cheapness and lack of investment in infrastructure and employees and move on.

Feb 20, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Most private employers are not required to test. The big exception to this rule is for transportation and other safety-sensitive industries that are ... More

9. "Old School Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, always looking to help when asked for. Not co-managed when doing work for the most part.

Cons

Very old school process when going about sales. Won't accept new ways to work towards selling to clients.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ways to go about selling. Cold calling CEO's and C-level executives is becoming an ancient practice.

Feb 20, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're very proud of our people. They make marcus evans a very special place to work.When we listen to our clients, we are reassured that our ... More

10. "Sales Executive"

I have been working at marcus evans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation package is comprised of a base salary, uncapped commissions and bonuses. We have yearly incentive trips, and true organic growth which gives us excellent earning and advancement potential. Everything is very clear and transparent about what you need to do to be successful and you are given all of the tools/ support to do this. I took this role for this reason and have been with the company for 5+ years now.

As a solutions provider sales representative you develop and build your own client base utilizing proven sales techniques including research, prospecting, probing, lead generation and closing. We have the opportunity to travel to domestic and international office locations and also attend events all over the world. Opportunity being the key word- you are not just handed clients/ accounts. To be successful you need to have grit, intelligence, patience and unequivocal persistence.

Cons

If you are looking for an easy role where you can live off a steady base salary then this is not the job for you. You have to be prepared for failure, let it motivate you and expect nothing but the best from yourself. Failure is an inevitable part of the job, but so is success. You have to learn to control your emotions and be regimented in terms of process and mindset.

Advice to Management

Be more selective when hiring

Feb 20, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences and for sharing the pros and cons so thoughtfully. I think you identify one of our key goals for 2017 to be more selective in our hiring so that we ... More

"On apply as a last resort"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Weekends off
    Friendly staff
    Nice office
    Honors most national holidays and closes a week Christmas-New Years

Cons

ONCE a month UNDERpay:
    The 5th of each month (Direct deposit not included)
    You only get 1,000 after a month...(again it's not bi-weekly)

HIGH turnover Rate:
     After training were replaced people's desks who recently left. Most of the "old" staff has only been there 3 months, including a guy I met my 2nd week shocked to "See all these new faces" after a one week vacation. Obviously, they NEED every employee they can GET and there's no weekly metrics aside from 100 calls a day, so your chances of getting fired are slim unless you do something off the wall idiotic. Most people quit once they find a new job and realize M.E. has a week system.

OUTDATED systems:
    Remember AOL sign on dial up from '99-'00? Imagine using that speed on computer at M.E.!
    Employees have NO personal computer but Employers do. So a staff of 80 plus employees share a handful of computers when they need to generate their own leads in an outdated dinosaur computers that occasionally move at regular speed. Any solid company provide it's workers with up to date technology at LEAST within the last 5 years. Doesn't have to be state of the art, but stick with the times.

I say only apply as a last resort and don't get too comfortable...anybody with self-worth will only use this to get over the hump then dip in a flash!

Advice to Management

Get out the stone age! Read the pros and cons above and do the math

Feb 20, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. marcus evans is most attractive for those wishing to learn the art of sales - it's a dying art and one that sets people up with skills for life. We have ... More