marcus evans Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
marcus evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I had excellent sales training at Marcus Evans (in 21 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about sales and business in general (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low base salary is barely enough to get by on (in 36 reviews)

• Low base wage but uncapped commission (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Training!"

Former Employee - Account Executive- Summits in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive- Summits in London, England (UK)

Pros

Fantastic training in the london summits team. If you're prepared to put the work in then the management are there to help you every step of the way. The processes used have taken years of refining and they are the best at what they do for just this reason. This is a great role for people with an articulate and varied vocabulary. Do well here and you'll be a commander in any sales role as this is the pinnacle.

Cons

Forget what you know or think you know about sales. Pre-conceived ideas will hinder your progress in this company. Being good at telesales is not the only pre-requisite fir this job.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the process. It undoubtedly works. Keep honing the training to be the unstoppable leaders not only in this industry but to set an example in the sales industry full stop.

May 16, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Another fantastic review. Thanks so much for taking the time to articulate your experiences. We see this time and time again, if you do well at marcus evans in a sales role you'll be a commander in... More

"Opportunities for those who take them"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager, Conferences in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager, Conferences in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This was my first job after graduating college and I stayed on six and a half years. Speaking from a Conferences perspective, it's not account management. Very much a new business/hunter mentality required. Fast paced, open floor concept. Three month sales cycle keeps the markets/industries you're selling into fresh. Great training/process that gives you a foundational set of skills that will translate to whatever comes next on your own path. Everyone starts at the entry level and is only promoted from within. Personally, I achieved management in about two years and had the chance to work with some of the largest organizations in the world (Marathon, Chevron, Exelon, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, Societe Generale) across a number of different industries. Chicago leadership really invests the time to help staff succeed. Compensation and advancement very much weighted toward performance helps to make you feel like you're not just 'showing up', but have the ability to control your own success. Commission structure is lucrative at the higher brackets (up to 25% pay outs). Once proven, travel to other office locations/countries, attend events, or explore other divisions within the business are all possibilities.

Cons

Must be a self-starter. Don't expect to be apathetic and have your hand held. Management prioritizes helping those who help themselves first. Make sure you're managing your own expectations. This is an inside sales role. A lot is asked of management level personnel, as it should be. A managers primary function should be to maintain personal sales while training and developing our sales teams to do the same, but too much emphasis was placed on sales managers doing their own recruitment the last few years. Ultimately, this was a major contributing factor that lead me to explore other opportunities.

On a more superficial note, every single computer in the Chicago office needs to be replaced. In my opinion, C-Level management needs to invest in a professional CRM tool/suite other than the MLM program our IT team developed.

Advice to Management

Chicago/Toronto leadership was fantastic during my tenure. However, unless you're Senior Dirctor or C-Level, chances are you've never met Marcus Evans the man. He is in Chicago fairly frequently. Marcus, why not put a face to the brand, very briefly address the office as a whole, and let staff get some messaging directly from the owner?

May 16, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO CONTROL YOUR OWN SUCCESS...

Wow! What a review. Thank you for taking the time to articulate your story so well. You have nailed it: 'Compensation and advancement very much... More

3. "Crazy place to work but good experience for conference producers"

Former Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans (More than a year)

Pros

build good experience, given lots of responsibility, travel opportunities, office location

Cons

extremely low base salary, churn and burn environment, cold calling

Advice to Management

Could be a great entry level company especially in conference production. Treating employees better (really depends on your manager though, some are as good as they can be), giving better compensation and more opportunities for growth would go a long way to keep people around longer.

"Great entry level opportunity"

Current Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at marcus evans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome group of co-workers. Excellent experience in writing and communications.

Cons

Afraid to change, innovate, and align with modern business practices. Poor pay and a flawed commission structure make the company a revolving door. Management doesn't seem to care and treats the high turnover like just another day in the office.

Advice to Management

Not sure what positive advice I can give. If the upper echelons of the firm invested money back into the company there may be some positive changes.

Aug 7, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at marcus evans. It never ceases to puzzle me that someone states their viewpoint in some amazingly positive ways but then doesn't recommend... More

"THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time

Pros

The Christmas party was fun

Cons

Awful pay
    no structure
    No room for change/growth
    A Scam

"Good starting point for College Grads"

I worked at marcus evans full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to meet new people and make friends here, fun office outings and activities such as rec sports leagues, cooking/baking contests, end of quarter celebrations, book club, involvement with charitable organizations, etc.

Cons

Really really hard work that may or may not pay off. Managers and directors don't really care about whether or not you succeed or if employees quit. Company has been involved in sketchy things such as selling fake tickets to the Olympics (THG side of the company), dishonest selling in some divisions, sexual harassment of employees by supervisors and HR was aware and did nothing about it.

Jun 29, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your experiences at marcus evans,

I have to say I'm a little puzzled. Personally, I would not recommend any organization that is... More

"Amazing Sales Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than an MBA in sales. Get the best from this Sales Team and value your experience. Never give up attitude.

Cons

Not for everyone. You might find it stressful.

Apr 23, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thanks so much for your feedback. You paint a very realistic picture so we appreciate that. It is true that this is not a role or company for everyone. marcus evans sales training is world-class. We... More

8. "Hard Work = Pay Off!"

I worked at marcus evans full-time

Pros

Great young company, lots of travel, office activities

Cons

technology, management located in other countries (sometimes)

Apr 23, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thanks so much for taking some time to review marcus evans. You sum it up. Hard work = Pay Off. It's one of our biggest challenges to really paint the picture for people. There are no quick wins, or... More

"Scam"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back interview process. People seem fun and nice.

Cons

Nothing like job description. No computers. You sit at a table with only a phone and have to read off a script. No microwave in break room. Awful pay

Advice to Management

Be transparent about the job up front. Provide a tour around the office so people know what they're getting into.

May 16, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at marcus evans. It's always disappointing to read when the experience has been a negative one irrespective of where the faults may lie... More

"Sales executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at marcus evans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Good management
    Promotes by success

Cons

The base salary is insanely low

Mar 22, 2017 – Global HR and Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It's really positive that you've outlined three key qualities of the marcus evans culture. The base salary is balanced by high commissions. We... More