marcus evans Reviews

Updated May 23, 2020

3.5
marcus evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans
Pros
  • "Regular sales training with upper management to help you sharpen your sales skills continuously(in 40 reviews)

• "Potential to make uncapped commissions if you’re a hard worker(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low base salary but plenty of achievable bonus opportunities(in 50 reviews)

• "low base but high commission brackets(in 35 reviews)

"Best Sales Training I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at marcus evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work I do in the office directly impacts my paycheck and I was given the proper skills to control that. From the time that I started, my manager and his bosses have helped me gain the skills to succeed and have been there to help every step of the way. I feel like I am prepared for my current role and if I choose to move on to another company, any other sales role.

Cons

The interview process felt rushed and everything is done on their timeline and in their process.

marcus evans2020-02-27

March 18, 2020HR Coordinator

Thank you for your review. Its nice hearing that our new hires enjoy their training period. Please email us at feedback@marcusevanscy.com and let us know what you believe should change on our interview process and to discuss why you felt that it was rushed from our end. We are looking for ways to become better and constructive feedback is always welcomed.

2. "Event and Learning Specialist with Sales and Business Development Experience"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Director Conference Production in Chicago, IL

I have been working at marcus evans full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Tons of Opportunity, Promote from within, continuous learning

Cons

not a lot of benefits

marcus evans2020-05-11

"Come to work ready to work, and you'll be rewarded."

Current Employee - Project Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at marcus evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management will bend over backwards for you if you're working hard and are motivated. You create your own leads so research is important. This also means that the quality of leads in is your full control which isn't always the case at other sales jobs. Being able to travel to conferences is great too. There are opportunities to move up fast, again just put in the work. I constantly strive to learn, so being able to work in different segments is refreshing and interesting.

Cons

Base Pay isn't the best, but it is sales so it does come with the territory. Paid monthly, some find that an issue though only a minor one for me. Some find an issue with the idea of community computers, I got around this just by bringing my own laptop.

marcus evans2020-02-20

March 18, 2020HR Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your honesty regarding our sales process. This is something that not everyone understands or adapts to as easy as others. We pay our employees once a month so that all deals are calculated and your bonuses are given to you correctly. As for the extra incentives, please email me at feedback@marcusevanscy.com. This is something really interesting to discuss and find ideas and solutions. Of course we dont want to add extra work to any of our employees, but we are always open to new suggestions. I will be looking out for your email!

"We Look for Great People...We Develop Them Into Great marcus evans People!"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at marcus evans full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

From top to bottom it's a 'can-do' attitude, its a 'do-as-I-do' culture. The company stresses the importance of a healthy work/life balance. There are many opportunities to travel and it is a performance-based position with bonuses and incentives. Growth opportunities. Quality and ambitious people will be successful in this type of work environment.

Cons

The position or work environment is not for everyone. There is not consistency across sales divisions when it comes to onboarding new hires and providing mentorship.

marcus evans2020-02-23
  5. "Toxic and very negative work environment"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You may meet some good people and you *may* travel to some good places

Cons

I don't recommend this place to any professional individual. A terrible and hostile workplace . The highest turnover I've ever seen in my life. No leadership and no opportunity for growth . Unfortunately one paragraph can't not be enough to explain how bad this place is.

marcus evans2020-04-01

April 9, 2020HR Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We are a diverse, encouraging and supportive company. We apologize that you felt our leadership team was not there for you or that you had no opportunity to grow, but as you know (since you have been employed in our firm for 3-4 years), it doesn't matter to us how long you have been working with us, it matters how good you are. So for example, someone that has been in the company for 1 year will be promoted to a managerial position if they are good at their job. They will become team leaders, they will be trained, then they will built their own team and slowly become managers and then Directors. If someone has been in the company for nearly 4 years and has not had any career development, then we are sorry but its not our fault. There are always opportunities to excel as long as you are willing to get out of your comfort zone and work hard. Regarding the 'high turnover' comment, yes, this is something that happens to all companies who have sales departments. Not everyone is fit for sales, and as you know we work closely with local colleges and universities, so the majority of our new recruits are fresh graduates. Not everyone is perfect for the phone, not everyone can stand in front of a multi-billion company's CEO and tell them that yes we are worth your investment and that our product will be beneficial to them. We have high turnover because people join our company to 'try' sales and because they know they can make big money with us, but due to everything not handed freely to them, they leave, and we have come to terms with that. As said many times, sales is not for the faint-hearted, unless you are stubborn and persistent you will never succeed in this field of work. Lastly, travelling to our venues is a part of your benefits package which is introduced to you during your interview process. For you to attend our events you will have to meet your monthly/ quarterly targets.

"Where careers go to die"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base salary (low), low expectations, no experience necessary

Cons

Depressing, limited advancement opportunities, little to no control over variables, old business model (ancient)

marcus evans2020-03-18

April 23, 2020HR Coordinator

One of the guiding values of the company is our commitment to staff development. Every senior member of management started in the account executive role and was trained and developed over time; we never hire management from the outside. It is our belief that leaders must know firsthand not only the theory but the application of skills. In 2019 our 34 person division had 25 promotions – 13 Account Executives were promoted to Senior Account Executive, 8 staff were moved into management and 4 staff were promoted into senior management. We have a rigorous training and accreditation process for each promotion and although we would like for every good sales person to be a good sales manager that is not always the case. Sales management is not for everyone and there have been past executives who have either failed in the role and been unable to complete the accreditation process due to impatience or lack of dedication. For the vast majority the hard work is worth it and the reward is a lucrative and fulfilling career.

"Overstated earning potential"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at marcus evans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provides sales skills to learn how to approach decision makers.

Cons

Overstated earning potential. High % of employees NEVER meet the earnings potential promised.

marcus evans2020-02-20

March 18, 2020HR Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We dont believe we are overstating your earning potentials. During your interview process you are made aware of how much money you will be making from each deal you make per month and considering that closing 1-2 deals a month is a very realistic number in our industry. It's up to you to push your self even further and make more bookings which will equal to more money in your pocket. Regarding the quality of our training, this is something we take pride in. If you felt at any point during your employment in our company that it was insufficient, please email me at feedback@marcusevanscy.com to discuss this further and help us fill in any gaps you believe our training has. Feedback like this is essential to us so we can become better for our future hires. Lastly, I will be looking out for your email referring to us 'not' respecting our staff. We treat everyone equally and offer equal opportunities for all. You stated that you have been a member of our team for 3-4 years and i would like to discuss this further you as you know that this comment doesn't represent the marcus evans culture.

"The ultimate scam"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at marcus evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

Paid once a month is a joke. A paid monkey on the phone who reads a long boring tedious prepared pitch speech that could last 20 minutes. Your closer closes your deal and takes your commission to the bank. CEO here is the worst ever- a blown up office manager with an inflated titled and massively inflated financial compensation.

marcus evans2020-02-16

March 18, 2020HR Coordinator

Thank you for this review. 1. 'Payment once a month. ' This is how our company works, and this was mentioned to you at your interview so you were aware of the payment method. It was your choice to accept this placement. 2. 'Paid monkey...last 20 minutes'. After your training you are flying solo on your phone pitch speech. Its not our fault that you choose to read the same speech your manager gave you for your training. As a sales person you need to be able to sell the product in your own 'style', so reading from the training manual is not something we suggest you doing. 3. 'Your closer closes your deal and takes your commission to the bank.' This statement is completely false. If you are unable to close a deal and that lead is given to someone else to close later on, it was never your deal. You will never make money on your unsuccessful deals. We are sorry but this is how sales work in all companies, you get paid per signed contract and not per failed phone call. 4. 'CEO here is .... compensation.' This is another false statement. Our CEOs, Directors, Managers and all employees in leadership positions in our company are always at the top of their game and have earned their stripes. The title, salary and perks are earned after proven years of hard work and excellent results. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

9. "Good Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Portfolio Executive in Miami, FL

I worked at marcus evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good learning - Fast Pace Environment - Training is good - Good Location

Cons

- Management is unprepared - Remuneration is not good at all - No flexibility for change

marcus evans2020-01-22

March 20, 2020HR Coordinator

Thank you for posting this review. Our management team has a combination of talent and disposition needed to achieve excellence that significantly improves, both employees and company performance. We are versatile, resilient and responsive to change. We adapt to unexpected demands in the workplace as best as possible. We might not be able to give you the option to work from home anytime you want to, as the position you were hired for requires you to be fiscally present in the office, however during a global virus we will protect our employees health and set up remote connections for you. Unfortunately we can't accept comments regarding us being unprepared or have lack of flexibility as these don't describe us. In case you personally felt that we did not cover these for you, please email me at feedback@marcusevanscy.com to discuss this further. Lastly, regarding the remuneration packages offered in our company, we believe in rewarding performance and not attendance. We offer a really good base pay salary and based on each position we also set up bonus plans for our employees to make more money if they put in the effort. These packages were presented to you during your interview process and it was your decision to accept our offer.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Office Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at marcus evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoy working at Marcus Evans. There is a awesome team-centered culture here. Everyone works hard and helps each other.

Cons

Designated office candy budget would be nice :)

marcus evans2019-11-26

November 29, 2019HR Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're glad to hear that you enjoy working here. The candy budget is certainly something we can arrange!

Found 818 reviews