simplehuman Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Frank Yang

1. "Great company to grow with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at simplehuman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a Super friendly environment, a lot of Room to Grow, there's Many areas/departments to explore your potential and find your niche

Cons

There isn't much to consider a Con, however the relaxed environment may cause some people to become too complacent so it is up to the employee to keep pushing themselves forward to succeed and exceed expectations

Advice to Management

My advice would probably be… always be sure to lead by example when you want/need things done right. Be proactive. And know that I can only be as great as the tools/resources I am given to work with.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Torrance, CA

I worked at simplehuman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at simplehuman for 1.25 years. Enjoyed my experience. Left due to long drive distance from home. Solid brand, smart designs, great product, great people, lots of work benefits with indoor basketball court and 2x daily activities, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Not a lot of cons. Sometimes it can be too comfortable and it would be helpful to shake things up a little and keep people hungry for more.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and maintaining the fun culture. Invest for growth in all areas. I can't wait to see the next cool product from simplehuman.

"Amazing work culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at simplehuman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have been working for simplehuman more than 2 years and having great time with working.
    -Had a chance to explore latest technologies. Good thing about it is, managers considers input of employee and I guess, that's what any employee would expect.
    -Extra activities (like badminton, yoga, basketball, workout classes etc..) makes us to feel freedom and family.
    --->All I want to mention is, feeling amazed by working here!!

Cons

Did not find any cons so far!

Advice to Management

Great job! Please keep on doing as past!

"Amazing Work Enviroment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

Pros

This is by far the best company i've worked for. Great people and work environment. The company is relatively small/flat and all employees can communicate with senior management. Great benefits besides health insurance and 401K, such as a full indoor gym and daily activities such as yoga, basketball, volleyball etc..

All that said - the company is very lean and you must prove yourself, work hard, show results, and be willing to get out of your comfort zone.

Cons

Can't help you there... i enjoy my experience with simplehuman.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing.

"Wonderful Work Place; Great People; Everyone Tries Hard"

Current Employee - Consultant in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Torrance, CA

Pros

I have been at simplehuman for only 3 months now and man, do I love it! I have worked for publicly traded multi-billion $ organizations to small 5-persons start ups and I find this environment to be challenging, well-led, and really a great place to spend my time. The perks of working here are amazing and everyone is genuinely trying their best for the company. To those that complain, you could have left earlier! Don't just complain, make changes.

Cons

Too much food! I'm gaining weight but good thing we have great benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep Up the Good Work!

"Always fun and challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at simplehuman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Since day one, I have not stopped learning new things on the job. Coming from a company with thousands of employees and being just another cog to this dynamic and fast-paced work environment was refreshing. It is rewarding to be able to contribute ideas and be given the green light in an instant to follow through on them. I am also the fittest I have been in past few years because of the physical activities available during the day in our indoor basketball court.

Cons

This is definitely a work hard environment where you cannot just slide on by. We all wear multiple hats and this is just part of being a lean, efficient organization. Sometimes this can wear on you, but I have found that yoga and other physical activities help to bring balance to the sometimes overwhelming work.

Advice to Management

Would like to see managers and directors lead more and set clear direction for employees. More staff or streamlining processes will help to get them out of the weeds and thinking above the clouds strategically.

"Customer Support Role Review"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Torrance, CA

I have been working at simplehuman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The simplehuman office gives a very welcoming experience, and its a beautiful office. Everyone has a family vibe aura about them, and the employee moral is awesome. The company provides breakfast weekly, along with birthday celebrations, etc. There is a company gym on premises, and they encourage and healthy lifestyle with daily workout activities, as well as a chef that comes in weekly. The job is fairly easy (based on my experience) once you get to know the products and trouble shooting steps.

Cons

Based on my experiences, I don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

I feel that the training process can be a little more streamlined and uniformed. There approach is more on a one on one basis and going with the flow type of learning and training schedule, which may work for some, but I would like to see it better structured.

"Fast growing company.....lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at simplehuman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It’s a small company so you can get a lot of exposure to different areas, and wear a lot of hats. Definitely a lot of room for growth and in general the best people are recognized and being promoted. Best part of working at simplehuman is the coworkers - a lot of really bright people who are passionate about the brand. You’ll find a lot of people interested in many different things outside of work. Somehow there’s always food around. There’s a yoga instructor, Krav Maga instructor, and pretty competitive volleyball, badminton and basketball. If you’re into sports and have an idea for a new activity, you can probably just start it. The Product team is awesome and keeps cranking out new great products, so the future of the company is bright. Actually, the company is run like a product development project…constant adjustments and refinement (which can be a little unsettling at times, if you think you're almost finished with a project).

Cons

Workload can be a little intense, and management is unsympathetic to volume of work - thinks technology or process improvements can fix everything. Some good ideas can be overlooked, if the presenter isn’t fully prepared or can’t answer concisely enough.

Advice to Management

Tech and process changes can fix a lot of things, but not everything. Make sure all managers consistently keep up and lead. Changes and tinkering to improve things are good….if they work. Make sure all your leaders are staying on top of things and can finish what you start, or have the guts to change direction.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Torrance, CA

I worked at simplehuman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong design company with good products, free breakfast every Friday, great gym.

Cons

Major favoritism, no career advancement. Since it's a family owned company, the CEO chooses what to do, not the best ideas that emerge.

Advice to Management

Please have more diversity and diversity in ideas.

"Lucky they picked an industry with no real competitor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at simplehuman full-time

Pros

Elegant office building (though actual workspaces are cramped, like working at a picnic table)
    High-end, free coffee
    Products that customers like

Cons

As all reviewers reference, the nepotism and unequal treatment towards non-Mandarin speakers is palpable. Do not work here if you have an innate pride about doing good work or being conscientious. Management's domineering, neurotic nature will continually add busywork and pretend what you've done is never good enough to maintain dominance. No amount of good work will result in a relaxation of the firedrills. People are continually running around like their hair is on fire because they frankly have no clue what they're doing. A company given to the CEO and brother by their father to run without any clear deliverables, ways to measure success, or basic business acumen. That means that your work can always be attacked because no standards for anyone's work exist.

Advice to Management

Ironically, Management's failure to heed advice is one of their major faults, I won't waste the time. Advice to Applicants however, is to run away from this dysfunctional environment. This company's success is dumb-luck of having no direct competitors. Since that can always change, and this company is an ego project, once the owner and his father tire of it, everyone might be out of a job. Don't even bother applying.