23andMe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Content Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe.

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview with HR before two phone interviews with two different scientists. After completing a "homework assignment", I had a Skype interview with four members of the team. Throughout, I was presented with hypothetical situations encountered in the position and how I would handle them. The homework was similar. Was then invited on-campus for an in-person interview, but I decline as I decided against relocating across the country.

HR was fantastic, and the staff I interviewed with were all professional and fun to chat with.

Interview Questions

• Q: How to write a certain code to query and organize a data set?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 23andMe (Houston, TX).

Interview

Mostly a white board interview. Asked "brain teaser" type problem and to implement an algorithm. Kept me waiting past the scheduled time to start. Also sent in another developer to ask a programming problem.

Interview Questions

• Implement a fibonacci sequence.   1 Answer

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got a request for a phone interview within a couple days. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a 3 hour onsite interview with 4 developers. They all only asked syntax questions and had assignments for me to complete. E.g. how to code an auto-complete feature in JS, how to create a circle with a double border in CSS only, how to write a traffic-light control code, how to code a simple html form. At the end of the interview, however, I learned that the position for which they were interviewing me has already been filled last year and they don't really have a need for another developer. They just left it open in case they find someone extraordinary. I think it may be their standard practice, since I now see a lot of people who interview with them don't get an offer in the end.

Interview Questions

• CSS Questions: describe the cascade, specificity, and inheritance.   Answer Question
    • Will a paragraph inherit the border style applied to its parent?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Phone screen followed by 4 hours of on site interviews. Coding and design questions related to heaps and sets. Amiable people overall and the process was smooth. Took couple of weeks for the recruiter to get back.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

23andMe interviewing process really stands out of other hi-tech companies in Silicon Valley. First, they start from a phone chat with the hiring manager. Most other companies will use their HR people to talk with candidates. Second, they give you up to 2 days for a coding test t be done at home. Most other companies hit you with 1-hour "supervised" test, which is not working for me and,I assume, for some others too: I am getting quite nervous and the help, which is provided, usually only disrupts my train of thought. Third, and most importantly, on my request the HR lady did provide me with the feedback on my coding test after I failed it. I usually ask for this kind of feedback, but got only radio silence in return from about a dozen of other companies.

There were about 10 business days from my initial application to the reply from HR offering to set up a phone call with the hiring manager. The code test was available the day after the call. It took them about a week to let me know that they were "moving ahead with another candidate." It took them 4 days to provide the feedback I asked about.

Interview Questions

• While talking with the hiring manager, I was asked about my work experience, my knowledge of 23andMe, and some basic questions to gauge if I know Python, Selenium, and general testing methodology.

The code test was to write a Selenium-based automation (preferably in Python) for testing an online store.
      1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe in November 2016.

Interview

Had a phone screen with an senior web developer. He was nice and supportive. The conversation was pleasant. And he was willing to explain the question, and provide feedback. The HR though, is quite irresponsive.

Interview Questions

• CSS basics, specificity, cascade, inheritance;
      Responsive vs. Adaptive Design;
      A quick sketch of how to make a Collapse component, with plain JS and HTML.
      Answer Question

23andMe Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Principal Recruiting Partner

Thanks for your feedback. We strive to make every candidate experience with 23andMe - exceptional. It sounds like our recruitment process timing was slower than your expectations.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

1. Initial phone screen
    several week time gap
    2. Interview with hiring manager
    1 month gap
    3. 6 F2F interviews in one day

__________________________________________________________________________________

While I did not receive an offer, I was not too disappointed in that the job seemed a bit "boring". However, I really did enjoy speaking with and meeting the teams. They seemed like really nice and intelligent people. Probably the most impressive thing was that everybody seemed 100% committed to the vision of the company.

One red flag though with the company as a whole; they have a very niche product.

Interview Questions

• * Describe a tagging process
      * How would you construct a marketing attribution model?

Other general marketing questions; nothing too technical
      Answer Question

23andMe Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Principal Recruiting Partner

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, we looks for candidates that share our mission to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome.

Statistical Geneticist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from them after two weeks. Then I had a phone interview with one of the project manager, who's a really nice person. We basically just went over the resume and he asked about one of the project I have done.

Computational Biologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The whole process took over two months. I got referred by some one who knows some one in the company. First I got contacted by HR and then scheduled two phone calls with hiring manager and the boss of hiring manager. They then asked for references both to talk to and written recommendation letters. Then for over a month, I did not hear anything although I wrote an email to follow up. It was when I thought it would go nowhere, I got contacted again by the HR to arrange an onsite interview. I flied in the day before, and the onsite interview is for a whole day, comprised of two parts. In the morning, I gave a presentation and met with the biologists ( wet lab people) 1:1 and in the afternoon I met with research computational people 1:1 and HR. The people there are all very smart. And they asked very thorough questions. The computational people dug really deeply into the mathematics behind the algorithm/computational methods. And I was also asked to write two scripts on board. There was not much behavior questions that usually took place at biotech and pharmas.

Interview Questions

• I can not disclose the detailed questions as I signed the nondisclosure agreement. All the questions are in a way "designed" to learn about your thought process and your understanding concepts and your knowledge of math/statistics. .   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

A telephonic interview was scheduled which lasted for around 30 mins with the hiring manager.The manager was satisfied with the answers and I was told there is going to be another face to face interview after completion of a sample testing assignment. I was provided the sample project on Friday and I was asked to submit the completed project no later that Tuesday in Python or any language of my choice. I picked java since my last project was in Java and I had the setup already installed in my system. I spent few hours on the project and successfully completed the automated testing assignment.I submitted the project on Monday morning so that it can be reflected in the recruiter's mailbox once they open it. After 2 days I received an automated reply from recruiting team that they decided to move forward with some other candidates. No further feedback or updates on this !!!

Interview Questions

• 1. Basic OOPs concepts
      2. Selenium Webdriver and related testing tools questions