23andMe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

23andMe interviewing process really stands out of other hi-tech companies in Silicon Valley. First, they start from a phone chat with the hiring manager. Most other companies will use their HR people to talk with candidates. Second, they give you up to 2 days for a coding test t be done at home. Most other companies hit you with 1-hour "supervised" test, which is not working for me and,I assume, for some others too: I am getting quite nervous and the help, which is provided, usually only disrupts my train of thought. Third, and most importantly, on my request the HR lady did provide me with the feedback on my coding test after I failed it. I usually ask for this kind of feedback, but got only radio silence in return from about a dozen of other companies.

There were about 10 business days from my initial application to the reply from HR offering to set up a phone call with the hiring manager. The code test was available the day after the call. It took them about a week to let me know that they were "moving ahead with another candidate." It took them 4 days to provide the feedback I asked about.

Interview Questions

• While talking with the hiring manager, I was asked about my work experience, my knowledge of 23andMe, and some basic questions to gauge if I know Python, Selenium, and general testing methodology.

The code test was to write a Selenium-based automation (preferably in Python) for testing an online store.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

It starts with a phone call with the HM to talk about background, interest in the company and projects. Then there is a coding phone screen, and other design questions to gauge one's analytical skills. If you manage to do well on the previous two interviews, they bring you onsite to meet the team. They are looking for strong coding, analytical and social/culture fit at the same time. Also one of my interviewers pointed out that brute-force solution is perfect as per their requirement.

I enjoyed meeting and working out solutions during the onsite interview. Everyone I met was very amiable and grounded. The most annoying part is communicating the interview outcome with a standard email without any particular feedback! Really, there is no way to call, and talk to the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• -recursion, DP, leet code easy to mid-medium
      - basic questions about the technologies used   Answer Question

Computational Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me after 3 weeks to schedule a phone interview with the HR and the PI of the department. Unfortunately, they were looking for someone that knows also Python.

Interview Questions

• I was asked three questions, two about the company and one technical question ( write a function that computes the reverse and complementary of a DNA sequence).   1 Answer

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process was smooth, no issues there. 3 ppl interviewed me. It was a great interview. I answered all their questions. One interviewer even mentioned that I was able to answer a question that no other candidate has answered. The hiring manager even mentioned that the next step would be another round of management interview. Then suddenly after a few days I get an email that they went ahead with another candidate. I dont want to believe what other reviewers mentioned about 23andMe hiring people more for their compatibility with the young crowd that works there, but it does make me wonder. But overall I had a very positive interview experience. I believe in what they are bringing to the people, and I wish them all the best!

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

by phone, he was late 5 mins, intro 5 mins, then start coding, but the interviewer even didn't ensure the question corner cases and just stopped me. I've tried to explain and point out.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe (South San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews. One in person interview. Total of 3 month process.
    In depth coverage of resume and skills.
    People were overall very nice. Presentation was ok. People asked interesting questions and seemed engaged.
    Process was just very very long.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to be a scientist someday?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe in April 2017.

Interview

Completed the coding test online and then set up a phone interview with them via email. Later got stood up for the interview. No explanation, no follow ups even after I emailed them again. Simply no show. Very rude and unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 23andMe (Houston, TX).

Interview

Mostly a white board interview. Asked "brain teaser" type problem and to implement an algorithm. Kept me waiting past the scheduled time to start. Also sent in another developer to ask a programming problem.

Interview Questions

• Implement a fibonacci sequence.   1 Answer

23andMe Response

Jun 7, 2017 – Principal Recruiting Partner

Sorry, but we don't have a location in Houston, Texas - so you may have reviewed the wrong company. We wish you the best of luck in your search.

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got a request for a phone interview within a couple days. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a 3 hour onsite interview with 4 developers. They all only asked syntax questions and had assignments for me to complete. E.g. how to code an auto-complete feature in JS, how to create a circle with a double border in CSS only, how to write a traffic-light control code, how to code a simple html form. At the end of the interview, however, I learned that the position for which they were interviewing me has already been filled last year and they don't really have a need for another developer. They just left it open in case they find someone extraordinary. I think it may be their standard practice, since I now see a lot of people who interview with them don't get an offer in the end.

Interview Questions

• CSS Questions: describe the cascade, specificity, and inheritance.   Answer Question
    • Will a paragraph inherit the border style applied to its parent?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Phone screen followed by 4 hours of on site interviews. Coding and design questions related to heaps and sets. Amiable people overall and the process was smooth. Took couple of weeks for the recruiter to get back.