23andMe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I had a very seamless experience interviewing with 23andMe including:

- 1 phone interview with hiring manager
    - 1 assignment (3 marketing related questions)
    - 4 on-site interviews (in span of a 1/2 day)
    - 1 final interview via Hangouts

The recruiting process seemed like a well-oiled system with timely follow-up and clear communication. Everyone I met/talked with was extremely friendly and passionate about their work. I was impressed with the recruitment process from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage multiple projects with multiple tasks, stakeholders & deadlines within each project?   Answer Question

Computational Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview with 23andMe hiring manager. Communication was great, manager called exactly when they said, and we had a very pleasant conversation. Call was about 40 minutes total, but partly ran over because I asked a few questions. The guy who interviewed me was incredibly nice and easy to talk to, but I didn't get the impression I was a good fit. No super hard questions.

Interview Questions

• "What is the thing you enjoyed most about software development?"
      "How big is a software package you have written?"
      (After description of the structure of the group and what they do) "Out of all that, what sounds interesting to you?"
      "What are you most comfortable programming in?"
      "Would you consider yourself a data analyst or a programmer?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The whole process took over two months. I got referred by some one who knows some one in the company. First I got contacted by HR and then scheduled two phone calls with hiring manager and the boss of hiring manager. They then asked for references both to talk to and written recommendation letters. Then for over a month, I did not hear anything although I wrote an email to follow up. It was when I thought it would go nowhere, I got contacted again by the HR to arrange an onsite interview. I flied in the day before, and the onsite interview is for a whole day, comprised of two parts. In the morning, I gave a presentation and met with the biologists ( wet lab people) 1:1 and in the afternoon I met with research computational people 1:1 and HR. The people there are all very smart. And they asked very thorough questions. The computational people dug really deeply into the mathematics behind the algorithm/computational methods. And I was also asked to write two scripts on board. There was not much behavior questions that usually took place at biotech and pharmas.

Interview Questions

• I can not disclose the detailed questions as I signed the nondisclosure agreement. All the questions are in a way "designed" to learn about your thought process and your understanding concepts and your knowledge of math/statistics. .   Answer Question

Computational Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 23andMe in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me after 3 weeks to schedule a phone interview with the HR and the PI of the department. Unfortunately, they were looking for someone that knows also Python.

Interview Questions

• I was asked three questions, two about the company and one technical question ( write a function that computes the reverse and complementary of a DNA sequence).   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

There was a phone interview followed by a full day of on-site interviews. These included a presentation of my work. It then took about a week to receive the offer.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

My process started with a phone screen with the hiring manager to discuss my background and interests and relevance to the position. There was a technical phone call with another team member afterwards that involved a coding portion. Finally there was an all-day onsite interview that involved giving an hour long presentation and 1-1 interviews with a variety of stakeholders/scientists.

Interview Questions

• General questions involved talking about my projects and the science my talk, in some detail. Another common question was why 23andMe in particular was appealing. There were a few math/code questions ("write a function that does ...", "derive the following conditional distribution ...") but nothing extremely difficult. Also a lot of questions specific to the position ("how would you investigate ..."), so be prepared to think creatively about the job you're applying for. Overall, everyone was extremely dedicated, but also very nice and eager to see you do well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at 23andMe in March 2014.

Interview

Just one phone interview. Talk about the projects and then some technical questions. Very basic programming questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online, 1 phone interview 1 onsite interview. Talk about what projects I have been working on, what kind of thing I did during my spare time and then some technical questions. (algorithm, data structure, bit manipulation)..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I had a terrible experience with this company.
    After initial phone interview with a hiring manager I came to the company's office in Mountain View for a face to face interview. I had to take a time off at my work to be able to make it.
    The interviewers were not there, HR people were not there, I waited for almost an hour in the empty conference room and then I just left. Apparently, the place is extremely disorganized. Got email from HR with apologies and request for reschedule, but decided not to proceed.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at 23andMe (Mountain View, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I was referred internally. Overall the process took just over 4 weeks (including the holidays). 5 days after the referral was submitted I received an email asking me to come onsite for a technical screening round for an internship/contract position. After finding parking (it was challenging in the middle of the day) I came in and met 3 members of the engineering team with a few other potential hires there. They outlined a coding challenge they wanted us to complete using the technology of our choice with some constraints. We then split up for 1-1 meetings. I met with the Director of Engineering who saw my resume and skills and asked if I was interested in a Full Time position. I answered yes! I also told him that I was interviewing with a few other companies that -shall-not-be-named. I continued with the project and turned it in. The process for the FT position then started. I had an initial phone screen with one of the engineers. We walked through my background, skills, interests, and technologies the engineering team uses. I also walked him through how I would solve a data structure/algorithmic question. I really enjoyed the call and did well on the interview so I was scheduled for second online in depth coding interview. Again I crushed this interview and was impressed with the culture and values of the company, as well as the flexibility and trust afforded to employees in terms of schedule. Lots of smart, collaborative, nice people with a welcoming culture and excellent benefits. I got a call the following Monday from the Principal Recruiter to talk about offer expectations. I was expecting to talk about the offer in theory and then come for another onsite round (as that's what I heard the process was like). To my delight I was made a verbal offer on the spot which was very generous. It was a great fit and I accepted!

Interview Questions

• Data Structure/Algorithmic + logical questions, Big O, refactoring, etc. Behavioral and fit questions as well.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at 23andMe.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager and one of the engineering lead. At the onsite, all the rounds have focused only on pl/sql. Surprised that they didn’t give heads up that its going to be sql interview.