APL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 30, 2017

3.1

Cargo Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at APL (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

Typical behavioral style interview, just google examples and get a bank of the common questions, nothing unexpected. These are extra words because glassdoor needs 30 words in the interview process description.

Lead Specialist, Cargo Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at APL (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

Grueling. On of the worst interviews that I have ever had. Some people in the interview (the interviewers) were more interested in proving you wrong than listening to your skills. Just overall, one of the worst interviews I have ever had, and this experience made me feel awful and inadequate when I have just as much experience as that one particular interviewer. You could tell there was a personal dislike!

Interview Questions

• What systems have you used?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at APL.

Interview

the hiring process went well. I applied online and heard back within a week. I had an interview the following week and then got hired. The training started 2 weeks later.

Clerk, Cargo Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at APL (Nashville, TN).

Interview

First Interview/Phone Screen: Submitted a resume online through Indeed.com and got a call from an HR person 2 days later who phone screened me, telling me about the position (even including the salary) then asking me to give a rundown of my duties. The questioning was fairly in line with the job description in the job posting. that night I received an email asking me to come in in 3 days to interview. She also noted who I would be interviewing with, what their titles were, and that the format would be behavioral based, so be prepared with examples.

Second Interview: face to face with the person who would be my boss and his boss. They asked me to rundown my work history and I stuck to my last position and the duties and responsibilities that I thought corresponded to this job.They then stated there would be 6 behavioral questions that they took turns asking. After they got done writing down each answer one manager followed up with an informal related question about my last position that I felt more comfortable answering and it helped me get a good report going and made the situation not as stressful. At the close I asked my questions (travel, training, career path, how soon they were looking to fill) and the senior manager said I would hear from them in a week one way or the other.

All in all I would say it was easy to average, but I have been interviewing for three weeks now and have done over 15 interviews, most of them behavioral based so the answers are almost memorized at this point.

Interview Questions

• Can you name a time you put a project together? What was the goal and what were the results?   1 Answer
    • Can you name a time you went above & beyond the scope of your duties to help a customer?   1 Answer
    • Can you describe your most difficult customer? What was the issue and how did you personally resolve it?   1 Answer
    • What techniques or tools do you use to stay organized?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time were there was conflict with a co-worker and tell us how you resolved it.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at APL.

Interview

I was referred to the company by an industry contact. I told him he could recommend me. They contacted me for a phone interview, and that was followed up by an in person interview. In person I met with a vice president, then had lunch with a group of senior managers. We discussed the position and the work I was doing at my current firm throughout the meeting(s), which lasted a few hours.

Interview Questions

• The job dealt with purchasing. They asked about my experience in purchasing commodities.   1 Answer

Sales Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at APL (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

A friend who works at a staffing firm suggested I submit my resume for this position opening. APL was trying to hire very quickly and the process moved very fast - I had an interview within 3 days of sending my resume. The interview questions were primarily based off of past experiences and behavioral situations. I struggled with answering some of the questions regarding prior experience, since my background wasn't specifically congruent with the questions they were asking.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the most difficult sales client you have dealt with and how did you ultimately gave them a satisfactory experience?   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Interview

Received a phone interview with 3 people: two managers and an HR rep. It was very informal, however, I interviewed for a different job than I had expected. Not sure that it matters but the interviewers were all women.

Interview Questions

• They asked the basic questions about how I have responded to conflict in the past, what my experience has been in transportation and ocean cargo, etc.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at APL (Brentwood, TN) in January 2014.

Interview

Filled out an application online and a few days later got a call from a recruiter who asked me a few questions. Scheduled me a in person interview and sent me link for an assessment test to test my skills and excel. Went to my scheduled interview. Everything happened within a week.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. They were all Behavioral Interview questions. They did ask me what did I know about APL but I had studied the website so I was able to give them a detail description of the company   2 Answers

Negotiation

There were no negotiation of pay due to salary based upon the area.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at APL (Nashville, TN) in January 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, face to face interview with hiring agent, Prove it test, face to face interview with APL managers, HIRED!! The process was the typical process that all companies are using now. The experience was pleasant and smooth. I did not find it to be difficult or tiresome. All in all a very pleasant experience. I would not alter the process in any way.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at APL.

Interview

Basic questions and inquiries into your past positions and duties. They also asked situational questions to see how you acted in the past. For example "name a time you had to manage change..." and so forth.

Interview Questions

• When they asked to describe a time when you didn't get along with someone. Kind of hard to explain and make it sound good. Perhaps this is why I didn't get it. Maybe knowing this you'll have better luck.   Answer Question