Algorithmia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Algorithmia

2.6

Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in February 2020.

Interview

7 interviews total, each ranging from 30-45 minutes
    Three phases starting with a recruiter phone screen followed by hiring manager phone interview. Last round included 5 in-person interviews with cross functional VPs/Directors, Sr Managers and the CEO
    Each interviewer was well prepared and covered specific areas. The approach was behavioral and the interviewers dug deep into specifics.
    Intellectual curiosity examples, approach to learning, lessons learned from failure, examples of accountability were some common themes
    Being able to speak with individuals in each functional area of the organization showed the importance of the role and their commitment to making an informed hire.
    The recruiting team was very responsive and flexible. I was interviewing elsewhere as well and they were able to expedite their interview process per my request.
    The team debriefed quickly and had a decision for me two days after my final interview!

Interview Questions

• Q. Why come to a smaller startup when with your experience you could go to a larger more established company?   Answer Question

Senior Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in October 2019.

Interview

A very easy-going interview process, it took 1 month for me due that I was giving myself time to get prepared for the interviews. The interview process goes like this:

1- They contact you via email about your application to schedule a phone call to know more about you
    2 - Once you have the HR call, they contact you via email within 1 -2 days to set up an On-site interview (if you are in seattle, otherwise it will be remote), to talk with the hiring manager
    3- If you pass the hiring manager they will contact you between 1-2 days to give a "Take-home" assignment via email
    4- if you pass the take-home assignment, they contact you via email between 2-3 days to set up a On-site loop interview with 4-5 people roughly 45-60 minutes interview per person
    5- If you pass the loop, they contact you via phone or email within 1-3 days to schedule a final interview with the company CEO
    6- If everything goes well, they contact you via phone between 2-3 days to let you know if you are in and the offer they got for you

Interview Questions

• -How do you like to learn?
      - What things do you do to keep you updated with the latest technologies?
      - How would you solve X problem with the minimum amount of resources?
      - What QA tools you are familiar with?
      - How would you handle a negative response to X project you are driving?
      - What new technologies you use daily for your X role?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Remote, OR) in July 2019.

Interview

Had an initial convo with a recruiter, then a tech screen with an engineer, then a take home challenge followed by a remote "onsite" (the job was remote). Overall seemed like a disorganized process, the recruiter kept dropping the ball at every stage. Had to follow up with him at every turn. The take home challenge was a pretty good exercise but after spending a few hours of my personal time I had to follow up after a week of not hearing back. I was invited for an onsite only after I checked in with the recruiter. I was also told that we'd be discussing and going through the take-home exercise during the onsite, that didn't happen. Spoke with 4 people, two technical and two informational. After the onsite, I never heard back, not even a generic rejection email. I wouldn't recommend interviewing here if you expect a smooth straight forward process with feedback.

Interview Questions

• general cs questions, difference between functional and oop, heap vs stack mem.   Answer Question
    • system design question/architecture   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in February 2019.

Interview

I applied online and the hiring manager reached out to me to set up a time for an interview. We settled on a time and when the interview time came the VP completely blew me off. No apology, explanation or attempt to reschedule. I have never been stood up like this before in an interview.

Marketing Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in September 2018.

Interview

I went through the interview process with Algorithmia after being reached out to by a current employee about an open role and applying online.

I had an initial phone call with the potential manager to learn the specifics about the role, team, and company and was then brought in for an interview loop with four members of the team related to the role. These interviews revolved around how I learn and work with a team, how I see my role interacting with others, my motivations, etc. Following this loop, I was then brought in for a final interview with the CEO that centered around culture fit and learning, with him speaking to the company itself and how it treats employees.

I heard back about an offer very quickly, within a day, and was able to take a couple days to read over before accepting. Overall, a very positive experience throughout the process and I left excited to join the team.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in July 2018.

Interview

Initial phone screen, then a deeper phone call with the CEO.

Finally they gave you a take-home assignment to complete at your leisure. This seemed very forward-thinking/progressive of them, and much appreciated. The task was not very challenging (not algorithmic), with a little parallelism requirement to challenge you a little. This had to be implemented on their platform, which seemed pretty awkward and even flaky at times.

I'm quite comfortable with this kind of code, and took a long time to polish the solution to very high standards. Some trivial initial changes were requested, no problem. After that, the only feedback I received was "*** person tried it again, it still doesn't work".

To get such a terse response after providing such a polished and (in all honesty) well-prepared solution seemed like a surprisingly rude way to treat someone who has invested so much time. A thorough going-over of their requirements showed no missed requirements. Perhaps it was an ambiguity.

I would caution others against wasting their time with this. 5 weeks from initial contact to final word is also far too long.

Interview Questions

• They had you implement a pretty trivial yet interesting exercise on their platform. Learning and using the (awkward) platform took a lot more time than implementing the actual approach.   Answer Question

Algorithmia Response

Dec 19, 2018 – CEO

We are very sorry to hear you had a negative experience interviewing with us and appreciate you sharing feedback. During a high growth period, we struggled to stay ahead of the hiring velocity, and we will work harder to avoid long interview processes in the future. The amount of time candidates invest in interviewing is not something we take for granted, and we greatly appreciate the time and effort you put in throughout the interview process.

With regard to the coding exercise, we like to offer the option of submitting to the platform so that candidates can get a feel for the product and learn more about Algorithmia. Thank you again for taking the time to communicate this feedback. It allows us to constantly improve.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Interview

Process:

1.) Recruiter Interview (phone screen - 30 mins)
    2.) Background Interview (video call - 1 hr w/ Solutions Architect)
    3.) Technical Interview (video call - 1 hr w/ Customer Engineering Director)
    4.) CEO Interview (on site - 1 hr)

I was told in the 3rd interview that they had JUST hired somebody else, five minutes prior to us even speaking. They didn’t want to waste any time by holding the interview anymore since it didn’t matter, so the whole interview lasted two minutes. No apology. It was embarrassingly awkward and extremely unprofessional, given we’d been engaged for a month already and scheduled this over two weeks out.

I spent about 10 hours preparing for that interview (deep understanding of product & process), so to have candidacy terminated in such a fashion was a massive disregard for my time. The lack of communication all throughout was frustrating, and a reminder of the challenges some remote teams still have with basic operations.