Algorithmia Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 11 of over 11 interviews

Sales Engineer

180 Comments

Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in May 2021

Interview

Following my referral from a recruiter, I had a 1:1 phone screen with a representative from HR, followed by a take-home assignment, which should take a few hours. Had I advanced past that stage, there would have been a group technical interview, followed by a live-coding session, and then a couple interviews with the VP and co-founder. While the overall experience was worthwhile, I can't say it was positive with respect to the take-home assignment. Though the exercise was fairly straightforward (at least I thought so), it does take several hours, and you will be provided with absolutely no feedback if your solution does not pass their tests, just a pass/fail from HR. This will no doubt leave a sour taste if you're the type who appreciates understanding why/how their architecture fails, and values learning from their mistakes. Overall, I can only recommend interviewing here if you feel very strongly about the role on the table; otherwise it may not be worth your time.

Interview Questions
  • The take-home assignment was fairly simple for anyone with a bit of experience in multi-threading/parallel processing. You have the option of using several languages to implement it, which is great, but unfortunately the sample data they provide is minimal and doesn't stress your solution very much. The platform is also a bit cumbersome as far as rapid testing/prototyping goes, at least in the compiled language I used (I chose to develop locally rather than use their IDE because of this; perhaps that counted against me).
    Answer Question

Algorithmia

Application

I interviewed at Algorithmia in Aug 2020

Interview

Seemed like nice people except one interviewer told me "I should know" the ins and outs of BERT even though I had never used it professionally and it wasn't mentioned in the job description. Then the CTO scoffed at me after I told him that I had just taken a Bayesian Statistics course in grad school. I had this interview a year ago and I still think of it every time I ask myself if I want to interview at another company because I felt this company was so rude to me and I don't want to experience anything like it again.

Interview Questions
  • Explain BERT, multiprocessing, and how to explore a codebase if you don't know it well

Algorithmia

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia in Jul 2020

Interview

The interview process was very positive, friendly, flexible and clear from start to end. The organization was smooth and the hiring team was very responsive with every question. The interviews consisted of the initial phone screen, hiring manager interview, technical and team fit interviews and the executive interviews, averaging around 45m each. During the process, there was a fun take home challenge with clear directives. All of the interviews and the take home challenge were related to the actual real life responsibilities of the position, ie. the skill evaluations were relevant. The interviewers were sincere and friendly, which made the whole process a lot more easier and totally stress-free.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in Feb 2020

Interview

7 interviews total, each ranging from 30-45 minutes Three phases starting with a recruiter phone screen followed by hiring manager phone interview. Last round included 5 in-person interviews with cross functional VPs/Directors, Sr Managers and the CEO Each interviewer was well prepared and covered specific areas. The approach was behavioral and the interviewers dug deep into specifics. Intellectual curiosity examples, approach to learning, lessons learned from failure, examples of accountability were some common themes Being able to speak with individuals in each functional area of the organization showed the importance of the role and their commitment to making an informed hire. The recruiting team was very responsive and flexible. I was interviewing elsewhere as well and they were able to expedite their interview process per my request. The team debriefed quickly and had a decision for me two days after my final interview!

Interview Questions
  • Q. Why come to a smaller startup when with your experience you could go to a larger more established company?

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in Oct 2019

Interview

A very easy-going interview process, it took 1 month for me due that I was giving myself time to get prepared for the interviews. The interview process goes like this: 1- They contact you via email about your application to schedule a phone call to know more about you 2 - Once you have the HR call, they contact you via email within 1 -2 days to set up an On-site interview (if you are in seattle, otherwise it will be remote), to talk with the hiring manager 3- If you pass the hiring manager they will contact you between 1-2 days to give a "Take-home" assignment via email 4- if you pass the take-home assignment, they contact you via email between 2-3 days to set up a On-site loop interview with 4-5 people roughly 45-60 minutes interview per person 5- If you pass the loop, they contact you via phone or email within 1-3 days to schedule a final interview with the company CEO 6- If everything goes well, they contact you via phone between 2-3 days to let you know if you are in and the offer they got for you

Interview Questions
  • -How do you like to learn? - What things do you do to keep you updated with the latest technologies? - How would you solve X problem with the minimum amount of resources? - What QA tools you are familiar with? - How would you handle a negative response to X project you are driving? - What new technologies you use daily for your X role?
3 people found this interview helpful

Algorithmia

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia in Jul 2019

Interview

Had an initial convo with a recruiter, then a tech screen with an engineer, then a take home challenge followed by a remote "onsite" (the job was remote). Overall seemed like a disorganized process, the recruiter kept dropping the ball at every stage. Had to follow up with him at every turn. The take home challenge was a pretty good exercise but after spending a few hours of my personal time I had to follow up after a week of not hearing back. I was invited for an onsite only after I checked in with the recruiter. I was also told that we'd be discussing and going through the take-home exercise during the onsite, that didn't happen. Spoke with 4 people, two technical and two informational. After the onsite, I never heard back, not even a generic rejection email. I wouldn't recommend interviewing here if you expect a smooth straight forward process with feedback.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in Feb 2019

Interview

I applied online and the hiring manager reached out to me to set up a time for an interview. We settled on a time and when the interview time came the VP completely blew me off. No apology, explanation or attempt to reschedule. I have never been stood up like this before in an interview.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in Sep 2018

Interview

I went through the interview process with Algorithmia after being reached out to by a current employee about an open role and applying online. I had an initial phone call with the potential manager to learn the specifics about the role, team, and company and was then brought in for an interview loop with four members of the team related to the role. These interviews revolved around how I learn and work with a team, how I see my role interacting with others, my motivations, etc. Following this loop, I was then brought in for a final interview with the CEO that centered around culture fit and learning, with him speaking to the company itself and how it treats employees. I heard back about an offer very quickly, within a day, and was able to take a couple days to read over before accepting. Overall, a very positive experience throughout the process and I left excited to join the team.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Algorithmia

Application

I interviewed at Algorithmia

Interview

Process: 1.) Recruiter Interview (phone screen - 30 mins) 2.) Background Interview (video call - 1 hr w/ Solutions Architect) 3.) Technical Interview (video call - 1 hr w/ Customer Engineering Director) 4.) CEO Interview (on site - 1 hr) I was told in the 3rd interview that they had JUST hired somebody else, five minutes prior to us even speaking. They didn’t want to waste any time by holding the interview anymore since it didn’t matter, so the whole interview lasted two minutes. No apology. It was embarrassingly awkward and extremely unprofessional, given we’d been engaged for a month already and scheduled this over two weeks out. I spent about 10 hours preparing for that interview (deep understanding of product & process), so to have candidacy terminated in such a fashion was a massive disregard for my time. The lack of communication all throughout was frustrating, and a reminder of the challenges some remote teams still have with basic operations.

Interview Questions
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Algorithmia (Seattle, WA) in Jul 2018

Interview

Initial phone screen, then a deeper phone call with the CEO. Finally they gave you a take-home assignment to complete at your leisure. This seemed very forward-thinking/progressive of them, and much appreciated. The task was not very challenging (not algorithmic), with a little parallelism requirement to challenge you a little. This had to be implemented on their platform, which seemed pretty awkward and even flaky at times. I'm quite comfortable with this kind of code, and took a long time to polish the solution to very high standards. Some trivial initial changes were requested, no problem. After that, the only feedback I received was "*** person tried it again, it still doesn't work". To get such a terse response after providing such a polished and (in all honesty) well-prepared solution seemed like a surprisingly rude way to treat someone who has invested so much time. A thorough going-over of their requirements showed no missed requirements. Perhaps it was an ambiguity. I would caution others against wasting their time with this. 5 weeks from initial contact to final word is also far too long.

Interview Questions
  • They had you implement a pretty trivial yet interesting exercise on their platform. Learning and using the (awkward) platform took a lot more time than implementing the actual approach.
2 people found this interview helpful