AppDynamics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

One of the most pleasurable experiences I have ever had. One of the main standouts really had to be working with the recruiter. They really made the whole process a very positive experience. They were great at timely follow-up, asking how I was feeling about the interview and the position, making sure I knew where I was in the process, etc. Hats off to the great recruiting team at AppD!

The actual interviews were great. Having the opportunity to interview both with Senior and mid-level Management was great. We discussed not only specific job skills but also soft-skills and how they related to the position, the team, and the company culture I thought was an important and relevant conversation to have.

Interview Questions

• When you have worked with challenging/difficult people/personalities on a project, what was your approach to address the challenge and how did you turn him/her into an advocate?   Answer Question

Aug 24, 2018 – Talent Team

It's great to hear about your amazing interview experience. We love reading positive feedback like this, Welcome to the team!

Associate Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process is thorough and thoughtful without unnecessary obstacles. It was collegial, respectful and direct. I found everyone to be incredibly friendly, bright and engaged. The process was relatively quick and was only delayed due to the Cisco deal. Once that cleared, it moved quickly.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't any specific question that stumped me. Instead the conversation focused on creative process, strategic approach and best practices to do the best work possible. I appreciated the refreshing approach to the interview process.   1 Answer

Jun 29, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Marketing

Thanks for leaving us a Glassdoor review. Welcome to the team!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 2 phone interviews with 2 different senior software engineers. I was then invited on-site for 5 back-to-back interviews with directors, managers and engineers.

The last interview was with the hiring manager, he asked me to do some pair programming (Implement a Chat). His questions and behavior were kind of disruptive. I was told at the end that he wanted to see my capacity to handle difficulties.

Overall, interviewers were nice and the discussions were very interesting.

And the recruiter was very kind and professional!

Interview Questions

• The questions were focusing on Algorithms, Data structures and Concurrency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppDynamics (Champaign, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

I got an interview at one of their info sessions on our campus. The interview was the very next day. The interview was easy, if you know your data structures you should be fine. I had an off day I guess. Got back a rejection within a week. Overall a great experience, it took one week for me to hear back from them so definitely quick and painless. Seems like a good company to work for, they have no competitors and are a late stage IPO companies so if you can get some RSUs, it will definitely be worth a lot.

Interview Questions

• Mostly simple coding questions. The worst involved using graphs.   Answer Question

Jun 29, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Marketing

Appreciate you leaving us a review and happy you had a great interview experience. All the best.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I had one University on-campus interview, then an on-site interview in the San Francisco office. The entire process was phenomenal! Out of all the interviews I went through this round of job search, AppDynamics was one of the most pleasant and interesting as well in terms of interview questions.

The recruiter was friendly and helpful... The ion-campus interview was also good. Questions were reasonable and open-ended - the interviewer seemed more interested in getting me to share what I know and have experienced than to test me on specific programming trivia.

I had five on-site interviews, and each one posed interesting problems. The interview questions were again reasonable, and quite interesting - I most appreciated that they seemed to apply to real problems the company works with on a daily basis. Each one composed of some type of problem, and then some white board coding and discussion. Everyone was also quite open about telling me about how the company is structured, what teams there are, and the types of work they are doing.

Interview Questions

I declined because of location preferences - though the company was VERY accommodating about working remotely even, I had decided to be located in another city for personal reasons and did not feel I could contribute at my best in a remote setting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through angelist and was contacted by the recruiter within few days for specific teams in which I was interested. I did a phone interview with one team but that position got filled up so I had to go through one more telephonic round with another team. I was graduating in the same month so my schedule was really busy but the recruiter was really flexible and helpful throughout the process. Frankly, one of the best recruiter I have worked with. At every point of the process I knew what was going on and when will I hear back. They also asked me to take a coding challenge to see my coding skills but since I was really occupied completing my courses and projects for graduation I asked them to see my work on GitHub and they were flexible enough on this.

After telephonic intrviews and github profile analysis they flew me down to SF for onsite interviews and gave me one night of accommodation. For the onsite interviews I had around 5 or 6 face-to- face interviews with people at different level like software engineer, architects, managers etc. The interview questions were same as a typical software engineering interviews. Just the basic data structures, algorithms and design skills. But I found almost all questions a bit design oriented where you have to think of the solution on your own rather than typical find the longest subsequence or finding the inorder successor etc. Overall, the questions were under moderate level, nothing which a computer science graduate cannot solve.

They offer you lunch in middle of the interview session where you grab lunch and have your lunch while interviewing with someone. Though it helps to think about the interview as normal communication where you are having lunch while talking about the solution or answering questions but it’s a bit difficult for the interviewee to eat when he has to do majority of talking. I had my lunch interview with an architect who had a ton of experience in Hadoop and Big Data processing. We had a great conversation where we talked about synchronization issues, singleton patterns, a bit of computer architecture and a file based sql type query design question. Overall, this interview was the most intellectual and fun.

They have a really beautiful office space, free snacks and an open bar (though I didn’t see anyone drinking :D)

They came back to me with an offer the very next day as I had few other offer deadlines. We negotiated the offer a bit. The recruiter was really helpful and communicative through the whole negotiation she also set me up to talk to the manager about the whole thing but in the end it didn’t worked out. I got a better offer from an early stage startup, which was giving me much more equity in the company and also a better salary (though the salary difference was not a major concerns for me) so I decided to go ahead with them. Lets see how it works out.

Overall, the whole interview process was a great experience. The company has some really great engineers and working on challenging problems and I will love to work with them in future if our paths cross again.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember anything to be really difficult.   1 Answer

Had a better offer.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Not too difficult. General algorithms and data structures. General Networking questions. Focus on basic TCP/IP concepts, wireless protocols knowledge. Practise interview questions from careercup or geeksforgeeks. This is all you need to be here !!

Interview Questions

• Find median between 2 sorted lists   2 Answers

Jul 14, 2015 – Social Media and Recruiting Coordinator

We're so glad you had a positive interviewing experience with us. At AppDynamics, we definitely aim to seek out top talent, but more importantly, we want to be sure you are comfortable and compatible... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Good luck getting a payment from them for making a trip to their office. They will respond to your glassdoor comments with "yeah we're going to improve on that" and that will be it.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to code on their macbooks (I've never used a mac before) on a program which was partly written. I had to "fill in the blanks"   Answer Question

Jun 23, 2015 – Social Media and Recruiting Coordinator

We're sorry for the confusion you had with our reimbursements! If you're traveling from afar to our onsite interview, we will book your flights and also, reasonably compensate for your meals... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AppDynamics.

Interview

The interviewer was looking for strong core java experience. He asked me to implement LRU cache in java. He was helpful in terms of giving me hints and directing the interview. I will advice revising java basics and design patterns for this interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppDynamics in February 2015.

Interview

I applied the job on the website. After several days the HR contacted me and talked a little bit about my background. Then she scheduled two telephone interview for me. After I finished the first interview I was told that the second interview was canceled. And the first interviewer gave me a negative feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Basic Algorithms and data structures. Instead of data structure or algorithm concepts they are more interested in language syntax (collection package etc) where no intelligence required....Few Interviewers were gentlemen and open for new ideas. One Interviewer was really a close minded guy with predefined answers in his mind. He was more interested in Higher level language syntax instead of algorithm or data structures. Was not at all encouraging and not allowing to think creatively.

Interview Questions

• Hashset class implementation, Graph application. Syntax of Java priority Q syntax :)   Answer Question

Jul 9, 2015 – Social Media and Recruiting Coordinator

I am sorry you had a negative interviewing experience. Software engineering interviews have a definite structure, and its main purpose is to gauge the skill level and thinking process of the... More