AppDynamics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

Initial call with a recruiter, she was wonderful, caring and easy to work with. I then had a phone interview with who would be my direct for about 30ish minutes. Very casual chat. Then I came in for an in-person where I met I think 5 different people from various teams.

Interview Questions

• How I could make an impact if I was given the role   4 Answers

Product Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppDynamics.

Interview

The recruiter missed our appointments to connect three times. Once is fine, two is a bit concerning, three times is just plain unprofessional.

If their recruiting staff behavior is any indication of what it would be like to work at AppDynamics, I would consider this a bullet dodged.

Senior Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied through the website and was reached out to by the HM in the department. Scheduled a phone screen with the recruiter, then a WebEx with the HM, followed by 2 additional WebEx interviews with team members and finally an on-site panel interview where you will be asked to present a QBR/EBR to the department execs followed by Q&A.

Everyone was extremely pleasant to interact with and very open, honest and transparent about the company, team and expectations. Really great group of individuals who have a shared passion for the product and the clients.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a client did x? How do you prioritize your tasks and client requests?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1 initial coding interview. then a 4 hour interview after that.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

Unpleasant
    I applied online, recruiter reached out in email for a phone screen, followed by onsite. they took 5 days, meanwhile another team reached out.for phone screen.
    They do not have a good structure in interview process.

Interview Questions

• Phone screen - A Sliding window problem -medium
      Another position - A DFS problem - medium   1 Answer
    • Onsite -
      The most chaotic onsite I have see. Everybody tests for all skills, design, coding, behavior, not sure how it works.
      Round 1 - heap related problem
      Round 2 - design, coding and behavioral
      Round 3 - behvioral
      Round 4 - all the above
      Round 5 - design, coding   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

Since Hiring Manager is only hiring candidates from same country with her, and like most of the team members, so do not waster time after you have the hiring manager name.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

Onsite 5 interviews 1 hours each.
    1) System design - general application architecture (just a little bit of code).
    2) System design - more focus on choosing right databases and writing DB queries (mostly SQL).
    3) Lunch with the manager + talking about your experience and about the project in general.
    4) Talk about your experience + a little bit of problem solving questions.
    5) Single algorithmic / data stracture problem solving task + talking about testing of that task + talking about the project.

Interview Questions

• Design distributed scheduler.
      Design highly loaded distributed system to search flight costs. Input: city from, city to. You need to consider that sometimes it is cheaper to fly from city A to city B and from city B to city C than flying directly from city A to city C.   Answer Question

Analyst Relations Interview

Application

Interview

Cisco has the process pretty well automated from a technical perspective, which was nice, but it's also very impersonal.

I was very excited about working for AppDynamics and put a ton of work into the presentation I was to deliver; a 30-60-90 sort of framework. I typically interview well but was also nervous because I really wanted the job, knew I could do great job for them, but had zero idea of how many people I was up against. I decided to focus primarily on my differentiators and took a programmatic approach to the job rather than an analyst-by-analyst approach, as I wasn't sure if all the participants in the panel even knew the analysts for the space (I am sure that at least one, and likely 2 of them did not).

I took them through the presentation and answered all questions. I explained that yes I'd start with talking with the analysts and build out a plan from there. Like any AR person would do, you begin with the comments about the company in the MQ (and Critical Capabilities) and also understand their overall perception of the company and the product.

In February of 2020 I was asked to fly in to SFO for an in person panel interview after two WebEx interviews with the hiring manager (in London) and the person doing the job until the position was filled.

I was very excited about working for AppDynamics and put a ton of work into the presentation I was to deliver; a 30-60-90 sort of framework. I typically interview well but was nervous because I really wanted the job, knew I could do great job for them, but had zero idea of how many people I was up against. I decided to focus primarily on my differentiators and took a programmatic approach to the job rather than an analyst-by-analyst approach, as I wasn't sure if all the participants in the panel even knew the analysts for the space (I am sure that at least one, and likely 2 of them did not).

When I got there, I was greeted by a marketing director who showed me around; he was great and I'd interviewed with him before via WebEx. Half the interview team joined via WebEx and I'd not met 2 participants before. We were in a very small, dark team room.

I took them through the presentation and answered all questions. I explained that I'd start with talking with the analysts and build out a plan from there, but focused primarily on what I thought were my differentiators like how a good AR program aligns with Marketing, Product Mgt, and Sales to ensure good positioning. Like any AR person would do, you begin with the comments about the company in the MQ (and Critical Capabilities) and also understand their overall perception of the company and the product. I consider this table stakes to call yourself an AR person at all and didn't focus on this basic AR stuff.

So what happened after the interview? Nothing. Literally, zero feedback whatsoever. I ended up reaching out to the Marketing Director I interviewed with (not the hiring manager) via LinkedIn a week later and asked what happened. Thankfully, he provided some extremely valuable feedback, which was that they were expecting more info on the individual analyst communications and less on the whole program. I also learned that I was the only one they'd brought in to interview in person...it sounded like it was mine to lose, and I lost it. First time in my entire career and it's bugged me ever since. I think it's silly to assume that because I didn't speak more about the individual analysts in that one presentation that it wouldn't naturally be a focus.

The process was quite distasteful because the amount of work I put into their process should have garnered me at least an official 'here's why' but they literally seemed to just wash their hands. There was zero courtesy or even the most basic business relationship.

Interview Questions

• How would you start off in your new position? Give activities for the first 30 days, next 30 and 90 days.   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

The process includes an initial interview with the hiring manager and the on-site, which includes interviews with PM's, other technical writers, engineers, and managers. My recruiter was extremely communicative throughout the process and I felt a good fit with the individuals who I interviewed with.

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics.

Interview

1) Phone screen with recruiter
    2) Call with Sales Engineering Director
    3) Call with Sales Engineering Manager
    4) Take home lab
    5) On site interview - presentation, technical questions and professional work experience questions

The lab is great because you get to actually use the AppD product and play around with it. I had no APM experience and was able to figure it out, there were a few things that took me a while to grasp but learning was fun.

Overall, great team - you can tell they care about you as a person, your happiness in the role and really setting clear expectations. I loved the interview process, I was challenged and got to meed some amazing people who I now get to call coworkers.

Interview Questions

• Technically, I was asked about Linux commands and some coding questions.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in January 2020.

Interview

Two interviews - one was more focused on behavioural, one was more focused on technicals. Both interviewers were very nice. I am excited to work with them!

Also, I am very impressed with the intern recruiter. She's definitely one of the best recruiters I've ever encountered. First of all, she was very quick to respond (replies within 2 hours! I have never met another recruiter who replies faster!) Any questions I had, she answered with great detail and clarity. She was also very patient, professional, and friendly with me despite that I sent her quite a few emails with questions. I was never left in the dark and was kept updated throughout the process. Very happy about the hiring process!