Apptio Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 1, 2017

2.9

Implementation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apptio (Morrisville, NC).

Interview

Phone screening with a recruiter followed by a 3.5 hour interview with 5-6 different individuals on the team. A third of the interview consisted of 2-3 employees asking me questions, another third consisted of an Excel test, and the last portion was Q&A for the team. Two of the interviewers were late for their time slots and at one point, no one could find the next person who was supposed to interview me. The company seemed a bit disorganized. I also felt that the time allotted for Q&A was a bit long and the interview could have been significantly shorter.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe what our company does to a potential customer?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apptio (Bellevue, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was 10 minutes late and started to ask all kind of hypothetical and weird questions. He sounded awful and very arrogant. He didn't care to explain anything about his role in the company and finally didn't leave any time for me to ask him any questions either. Very poor presentation of the company from a director level person. Don't know how he works there. With this of mindset I don't understand how they can hire talented professionals.

Interview Questions

• Very imaginary and weird questions which had no connection to product development and customer service.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apptio.

Interview

Interview Process was short and quick. Apptio recruiter asked your basic questions on the knowledge you contain, salary desired and when could you start working. Recruiter was very knowledgeable on the questions. I asked to repeat some questions and was able to explain in better detail.

Interview Questions

• Does your current job use single vs multstack?
      What are you most comfortable coding in?(what language)
      Do you know Sql?
      Do yo know the basics in OOP, like polymorphism?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apptio.

Interview

It took forever...I must have gotten at least 100 emails from them about times and dates and moving meetings. It was such a huge waste of time. The hiring manager wasn't interested. I mean it was a giant giant waste of time.

Interview Questions

• I don't even remember - from all the rescheduling and emails I really was just not interested but took the call.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Interview

I applied for a position online and about two weeks later was contacted by HR representative #1 through email to set up a phone call. The person who I spoke with was very serious, showed little interest in what I had to say, and gave brief answers to all of my questions. A week later I get an email from a different HR representative, #2, asking me to set up a call with the hiring manager. This person was very friendly and upbeat but when I inquired about some of the details of the job that I was provided with in the initial screen and in the description I was told that many of these details weren't right. A week later I was contacted by HR representative #2 asking when I could come in for a round of interviews the following week. I sent a few time slots over but a few days later they emailed me again saying the next week wouldn't work and asked about the following week. Once again I sent a few time slots over. A week later I get an email from yet another HR representative, #3 asking me to confirm my panel interview in two days. I have received no prior notice about this scheduling and neither the time nor the day selected were among those that I marked as free. Thankfully I was able to move some meetings around and agreed to come in.

When I got to the office the receptionist was very nice but I did have to wait about ten minutes after my scheduled time before I was greeted by the first of my three interviewers. They were a senior leader in the company who really wanted to sell me on the startup vibe and the "flexible, family friendly" atmosphere but when I would ask for specifics on things like how the company encourages personal development or allows flexibility they didn't give a straight answer. They also never even remarked about their reason for being late. The next person in my panel seemed to be playing a good cop bad cop routine but they weren't very good at it and kept contradicting their prior comments. For example, at one point they remarked that they liked my resume because I had a lot of the soft skills and those are the most important skills for this role but then five minutes later they toss my resume on the table and tell me they don't see how I would possibly be a good fit for this role because I don't have some of the hard skills they desire for the job. Bear in mind that I was only lacking in one hard skill and in the original description it was listed as a nice to have. The third and final interviewer was the friendliest and out of all the interviewers I met with they were the only one that I felt actually gave me straight answers and genuinely listened to what I had to say. They were also the most honest though this honesty confirmed what I had already begun to realize through the course of the interviews which was that this role was not right for me. After the interviews were over I thanked the interviewers for their time, went home, and wrote an email letting them know that I appreciated the interest but would no longer be pursuing the position.

As a final note and summary for those who may want to skip the paragraphs above there were three reasons why I rejected this job and this company:

1) No clear definition of the role. Over the course of the interviews I realized that I had no clue what would be expected of me for the position. I was told that I would and would not have to travel frequently, that I could and could not work from home some days, that my hours would be fairly consistent and that I would often have to work late nights and weekends, that I would and would not be on call, and numerous other refuting requirements. If I don't know what will be expected of me then how can I expect to be successful?

2) No clear vision for the company. Everyone here seems very passionate about their work but apart from "more sales" there isn't any set objective for employees to work towards. The result is that there are a lot of dedicated people going in a million different directions. It doesn't matter how hard or how long you work if you aren't working towards a common goal.

3) Overall arrogance. Criticizing someone's resume in the final round of interviews does not make you a "straight shooter", it makes you rude. Claiming that anyone who has left simply couldn't handle or appreciate the company, bearing in mind that I discovered two employees quit just within the duration of my roughly four week interview process, is lacking in class. Scheduling people for interviews without any regard for their own time and showing up late to those interviews is disrespectful. I know your leaders and employees think highly of themselves but you may at least want to hold the attitude until you are turning a solid profit.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Apptio (Bellevue, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Process was very smooth. I applied online and was contacted about 10 days later to schedule an initial phone conversation and talk about the position and my background. We then scheduled a technical phone interview using collabedit with a senior developer that lasted about an hour. I wasn't able to complete the technical problem completely but the developer let me finish afterwards and send him my solution ( probably not normal procedure but he could tell I had a solution to the problem and understood it, I just didn't have time to finish writing it out ). After this we scheduled an on-site interview that lasted about 5 hours through a series of one-on-ones with various different developers and managers. The whole process was conducted very well and they worked hard to meet my schedule. I've heard on other reviews that interviewers were rude or too demanding, but I had a very different experience. It might have been luck but all of my interviewers were really nice and interested in showcasing their company to me. I received an offer about 10 days later.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, concurrency, databases, recursive algorithms.   1 Answer

Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apptio (Bellevue, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

The process was straight forward and standard with an initial phone screen with HR, followed by a longer deep dive conversation with the hiring manager, then a full round of onsite conversations with multiple individual interviewers, and finally a discussion with the department head/VP.

The team at Apptio are incredibly bright and at the top of their game. They're personable and likable and each interviewer took great care in asking relevant, thought-provoking questions. The team are actively interested in what you can do, how you can do it, and how that is going to fit into the plans to take Apptio forward. They truly are innovators in the TBM space.

I am particularly impressed with the HR process. I had a fantastic experience with follow up, personal connection, and personalize touch. The HR team there is top-notch with distinct care taken in the way they approach their importance in the process. They are timely and communicative either through email or via phone and make it a point to ensure that you are kept up to date and the process continues.

I had a very pleasant experience with Apptio and would recommend them to anyone looking for an accelerating tech company at the top of their game.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral and situational style along with standard 'About You' questions   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apptio in February 2017.

Interview

After it took over two months to hear any response on my application, they offered a phone interview. I did not get called at the time we scheduled for the interview, so I followed up, and when they finally got back to me, said the position was filled as of ONE day after my interview was scheduled. Clearly they either need to figure out the communication between different members of the team involved in the hiring process, or do a better job of scheduling and timing their applicants. Somebody shouldn't be getting scheduled for an early-round interview at the same time that they're clearly far in the process with another candidate. Very unprofessional.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apptio in January 2017.

Interview

The whole process was pretty fast and the recruiter was very efficient!
    The process started with an initial discussion with the recruiter, followed by a phone discussion with one of the team members.
    Then a face-to-face discussions that went for about 4 hours and the interviewers were very friendly, personable and the discussions were enjoyable and helped learn about the role, company and the culture.

Interview Questions

• Questions involved problem solving, analyzing log files for identifying potential problems and scenario based test planning.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apptio in January 2017.

Interview

It was a 45 min phone interview followed by two 45 minute video interviews with coding on collabedit. The second interviewer asked me a coding question that normally takes a person 1 hour to code. He had a thick accent which made it really difficult for me to understand him. I had to ask him to repeat himself several times and I could hear the general annoyance in his tone after a while. HR told me they would give me a decision in a week. After a week she delayed the phone call twice before saying no.