Apptio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Apptio Chairman, Co-Founder, President & CEO Sunny Gupta
Sunny Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Culture, benefits, flexibility & great work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "this company has great people, a strong leadership position in a new and substantial market space, and a get it done culture" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Occasional work life balance interrupts" (in 12 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains from a company this size" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place to chart your own path"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been blown away with the caliber of my fellow employees. These are some of the brightest people I have ever worked with. If you are looking to do the same thing day to day, this might not be the right place. However if you like to problem solve and chart your own path the only thing holding you back is you.

Cons

Still don’t offer a 401k match

Advice to Management

Look at ways to sponsor and grow your individuals in your team.

2. "Fast paced, supportive of both women & men"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate management who makes me excited to learn & work. Lots of opportunities to take side projects that you’re interested in and expand your skill set. Between learning about IT, Finance & the software itself there is not a day that goes by slowly or without learning something. The company is close knit and feels like a family. As a female employee with female leaders above me, I have never felt less than or overlooked by my male colleagues. The sky is the limit for those with good work ethic & passion at Apptio!

Cons

No 401k match, would like more opportunities to learn/mingle between departments

Advice to Management

More formalized education & growth courses. Keep up the opportunities to volunteer. Stay away from heavily sports themed events/comments from executives to avoid projecting an image of male centeredness.

3. "Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great startup culture
    -Most people at the company seemed dedicated to making the company successful
    -Small teams meant you got to know a lot of people
    -Free snacks

Cons

-A lot of the execs are ex-Microsoft or ex-Amazon employees so some of them brought with them the political BS which existed at those companies
    -Since it is a small company, not a lot of opportunities for promotions/advancement
    -Some tools were built in a hurry since the company is in startup mode so they aren't well built and are hard to figure out

"The people make it"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great workforce.
    * Salary is good for location.

Cons

* Too much work.
    * Management will let you work evenings and weekends with no recognition.

Advice to Management

Show your workers some love, please.

5. "Dir of Alliances"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is hard to find the perfect package: the right opportunity, the right culture, great compensation. Apptio has it all. Great time to join Apptio as it presents incremental opportunity to grow and scale

Cons

Lots of varrieties of snacks :)

Advice to Management

I like that the CEO is the founder as Apptio will be his legacy. Let’s keep our eyes on the ball and maintain this awesome culture

"Great culture and place to work"

Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is amazing. Its why I came here and why I stayed. Even though Apptio is public and growing there seems to be an understanding that that doesnt change who Apptio is. Tons of opportunity with the growth and the diversity is about as good as it gets.

Cons

A lot of sitting at a desk but that goes with the job and they give you riser desks so not too bad.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and allow people the room for growth. I have never been w an organization that is so supportive of people moving on to the next level or field that they are passionate about.

"YMMV depending on department"

I worked at Apptio (More than 3 years)

Pros

Apptio does a great job recruiting talented individual contributors
    There are certain great managers (I was lucky enough to have one) which makes everything else much more tolerable
    Flexible schedule, though it depends on your manager
    If you are outgoing and willing to drive your own career, it is actually relatively easy to move upwards or laterally. However, I saw instances where the reverse is also true in that there is not a lot of nurturing.

Cons

There is a clear hierarchy of departments where anything the sales org says, goes. While this is somewhat driven by the nature of the product and the company's startup roots, the attitude needs to change as the company grows and each rogue decision drives a cascading amount of work both in the short term as well as the long term, dealing with non-standardized and one-off issues.
    Management hasn't quite grown with the company. While the strategies and techniques used by the managers might have worked well for a company half its size, they don't work at its current scale. Bringing in senior leadership from larger companies could help alleviate this issue.

Advice to Management

You hire great people in most departments, that shows you're doing something right. However these great people tend to leave in droves in certain departments. A shift away from favoritism and a clear departmental hierarchy could help enable the "One Apptio" motto as you grow.

"Nice if you liked working at Amazon"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, telecommmuting is an option.

Cons

Mangement styles vary widely among the groups. Interview process designed to hide flaws. No training, just get thrown into work.

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Apptio are great. Since my first day they were all extremely friendly and helpful. It’s a very close-knit community and people are always will to share advice and help where needed. The company pays decent in terms of industry standards but could be better. They offer great perks, and free snacks and drinks which is always nice. There are several company events to celebrate various item. Work life balance is specific to each team in any company, but for the analysts on Finance, the hours were good, a typical 9-5 or 9-6. A few times we had to stay later due to quarter or month end but not often. A few members of the finance team have been there a while, so they have much knowledge of the business which was super helpful when ramping. Not only that, but they are also all great mentors and really do want you to succeed. Overall has a great company culture and treats its employees with respect. For role specific pros, I got great visibility with senior leaders, and got pulled on to a great project. Additionally, I got to do some cool modeling exercises and help automate a monthly report.

Cons

Apptio has terrible internal systems, the fact that a SaaS based company doesn’t even have a data warehouse is mind boggling. Disappointed to see a company with a good product not be more data driven. Part of the job was extremely manual, due to upstream data issues. Prior to this I had come from a company which operated at large scale, so you needed to build out process that can scale. Apptio is still using processes that they used prior to their IPO. They need to get out of the stone age and develop scalable automated processes now that they are a mature company. Talent on the finance team was good, but the accounting team could be better. They have trouble closing the books on time every month which creates more churn for Finance. Attrition in the G&A Acct/Fin organization is extremely high and I see why. The company fails to invest in building out scalable processes and systems and does not do a good job of retaining top tier talent. These two weaknesses will continue to hinder Apptio until they decide to invest more in systems and retaining talent.

Advice to Management

Invest in systems, invest in hiring and retaining top tier talent.

"There’s a Theme"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, paid parking and good location.

Cons

There seems to be a common theme amongst all the reviews posted.

1. Don’t work here if you are a woman
    2. HR is worsening Apptio’s reputation and driving good people away
    3. The middle leadership is lacking

I worked at Apptio for almost 4 years and couldn’t agree more with all of the above. The women are treated terribly no matter what their job title might be, and what makes it worse is that the women in leadership (especially HR) are a huge part of the problem. The politics in this company are
    unreal and it’s causing an insane amount of turnover.
    I was treated extremely poorly my last year at Apptio and lost all respect for the company that I thought was truly the best place to work.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the entire HR department and start over. This will completely change the turnover rate and you might even get some great “boomerangs” out of it.