Apptio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Apptio Chairman, Co-Founder, President & CEO Sunny Gupta
Sunny Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and culture (in 6 reviews)

• Freedom to explore new technologies and work with great people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance isn't easy to achieve (in 10 reviews)

• There is also not a clearly defined career path for a specific role (in 8 reviews)

"SDR"

Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, rewarding for motivated salesperson

Cons

no 401K) match when I was there

2. "Review"

I worked at Apptio (More than 5 years)

Pros

The working atmosphere and environment. Core principles. Really good product that practically sells itself. Industry leader. Treats employees right.

Cons

In the years I worked there, employee development was poor. If there was a need of a position, instead of training and growing its people to be ready to take up the position, would hire externally someone who had more experience. Sometimes that person wouldn't align very well with the culture.

3. "Up and coming"

I have been working at Apptio full-time

Pros

Come and go when needed there isn't a specific time to get to work just get your work done.
    High level executives and C level leaders are always in the office and have access to them, they usually are the first in and last out from the office.
    Free parking
    Free food
    Lots of spiffs=more opportunities to make more money
    They promote and expect people to own up to things, good, bad, anything. If you make a mistake just learn from it.

Cons

Recent leadership changes so some growing pains.
    They invest more in the employee which is amazing however with some systems they are a bit dated with hurts when needing to get work done.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

4. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Parties, ok health insurance, Bellevue downtown close to 405, lots of restaurants. We have showers available at the top floor. Nursing room for moms.

Cons

One of the accounting managers left- what a relief but too late....Managers burn too many bridges. All good people are gone. Can't keep up with constant changes.

5. "Great company to work for!"

Pros

Great atmosphere, high-caliber teams, great company culture.

Cons

Work life balance isn't easy to achieve.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Director
    Former Employee - Sales Director

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Many good and dedicated people to work with
    - Amazing product that provides great value
    - Lot's of C-Level conversations
    - Selling through value and building solid business cases
    - Strong marketing leadership, vision and team

Cons

- Weak leadership in key sales management positions
    - Unrealistic quota expectations and comp plan (% of reps hitting number well below industry average)
    - Very poor HR team, mostly cheerleaders with congressional style ethics
    - Extremely difficult product to sell outside of Fortune 500 with long cycles

Advice to Management

Start focusing more on your sales people and treating them with respect. Some recent sales management hires have demonstrated unethical and incompetent behaviors. It's 2017, people can work where ever they want. Abusive behaviors make good people leave and cost the company in terms of lost investment in human resources. Hire competent sales managers who care about their people and demonstrate it transparently. Get some empathy and humility and lose the arrogance, it's not very attractive. More carrot, less stick.

"Toxic Environment-Beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great story, created an entirely new category of software. Some really smart, dedicated, and talented people still there.

Cons

Rampant turnover, and they don't seem to care. Company is full of cliques, if you can get with the "in" crowd you could do well. Most don't. There is no amount of free booze and parties that make up for a dysfunctional and cutthroat environment. But if you enjoy back stabbing and ridiculous politics you will love it.

Advice to Management

Sell to Oracle, Microsoft, or SAP before you implode or the mass exodus of people severely hamper your growth.

"One of the best places to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Development Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Development Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio (More than a year)

Pros

I was apart of the inside sales & marketing team at Apptio for two years. It was always a fun and rewarding environment, full of super talented and successful people. When everyone is striving for the same goal, it is easy to get up for work in the morning(even on Mondays).

The management team is world class. The open structure allows for visibility directly into C-Level. The CMO is a visionary and I consider it a complete honor to learn from him. He has built a truly world class marketing team that is full of leaders and industry innovators. My direct boss, the director of the Inside Sales, is one of the best bosses I have had as a professional. He continually went out of his way to make sure the team was able to execute on our goals by removing any obstacles in our path.

I would not hesitate recommend anyone to Apptio and the marketing team.

Cons

Apptio is a extremely fast paced environment which I personally thrived on, but there are time things can be lost in the shuffle. It is important for you to keep a consistent open line communication with your manager and team.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You have made Apptio a fun and competitive workplace that brings out the best in their employees. I will forever be grateful for my time at Apptio.

""look at other glass door reviews, they are very truthful...""

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job and you get paid to do the job.

Cons

Mentality to get things done quick can be a challenge. Things are not always being documented and it can be frustrating at times. There is also not a clearly defined career path for a specific role.

"Leadership Seems Incapable of Growing Past Being a Startup"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to become a huge force in the software industry. I am not aware of a single company out there with a clearer path to becoming a software giant. Stable revenue stream; company and the jobs it provides will be around for years. Really nice people and fun place to spend your days.

Cons

Appears to have near zero chance of actually realizing potential due to inability to transition from startup to product company. Nobody at any level has a real vision for the future. Lots of corny catch phrases and tag lines like "make our customers wildly successful" but nothing that grounds HOW they plan to do that.

Severe deficit in the upper levels of the engineering team. Some of the engineering decisions and practices that are made by the very top of the department are shockingly amateur and outdated, resulting in a platform that is built on spaghetti code and is apparently incapable of adding trivial features and fixing minor bugs. Total refusal to acknowledge this deficit by the executive team, they're all about sales and marketing and could not care less about the quality of the product...and this attitude shows big time. The engineering quality is embarrassing and somehow they brag about it and delude themselves into thinking it is great simply because they found a large market need and they've rode that wave to relative success. They better hope a company led by real engineers does not come along and challenge them, because they will lose easily.

Advice to Management

Clean house in the engineering department. It may be painful, but your leaders there are really holding the company back. It's not 2008 anymore, and outdated technologies and patterns are outdated for very real reasons. Modern technology will make the features your customers want trivial to add, and will give you the power you need to really become an industry giant. You can do it, but you have to have the courage to make those tough decisions and hand management of your engineering department to people who haven't been hiding in a dark closet for the past decade and actually know how to build proper, modern software. The future of your company depends on it.