Apptio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Apptio Chairman, Co-Founder, President & CEO Sunny Gupta
Sunny Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Culture, benefits, flexibility & great work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "this company has great people, a strong leadership position in a new and substantial market space, and a get it done culture" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Occasional work life balance interrupts" (in 12 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains from a company this size" (in 5 reviews)

"Great culture and place to work"

Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is amazing. Its why I came here and why I stayed. Even though Apptio is public and growing there seems to be an understanding that that doesnt change who Apptio is. Tons of opportunity with the growth and the diversity is about as good as it gets.

Cons

A lot of sitting at a desk but that goes with the job and they give you riser desks so not too bad.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and allow people the room for growth. I have never been w an organization that is so supportive of people moving on to the next level or field that they are passionate about.

2. "YMMV depending on department"

I worked at Apptio (More than 3 years)

Pros

Apptio does a great job recruiting talented individual contributors
    There are certain great managers (I was lucky enough to have one) which makes everything else much more tolerable
    Flexible schedule, though it depends on your manager
    If you are outgoing and willing to drive your own career, it is actually relatively easy to move upwards or laterally. However, I saw instances where the reverse is also true in that there is not a lot of nurturing.

Cons

There is a clear hierarchy of departments where anything the sales org says, goes. While this is somewhat driven by the nature of the product and the company's startup roots, the attitude needs to change as the company grows and each rogue decision drives a cascading amount of work both in the short term as well as the long term, dealing with non-standardized and one-off issues.
    Management hasn't quite grown with the company. While the strategies and techniques used by the managers might have worked well for a company half its size, they don't work at its current scale. Bringing in senior leadership from larger companies could help alleviate this issue.

Advice to Management

You hire great people in most departments, that shows you're doing something right. However these great people tend to leave in droves in certain departments. A shift away from favoritism and a clear departmental hierarchy could help enable the "One Apptio" motto as you grow.

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Apptio are great. Since my first day they were all extremely friendly and helpful. It’s a very close-knit community and people are always will to share advice and help where needed. The company pays decent in terms of industry standards but could be better. They offer great perks, and free snacks and drinks which is always nice. There are several company events to celebrate various item. Work life balance is specific to each team in any company, but for the analysts on Finance, the hours were good, a typical 9-5 or 9-6. A few times we had to stay later due to quarter or month end but not often. A few members of the finance team have been there a while, so they have much knowledge of the business which was super helpful when ramping. Not only that, but they are also all great mentors and really do want you to succeed. Overall has a great company culture and treats its employees with respect. For role specific pros, I got great visibility with senior leaders, and got pulled on to a great project. Additionally, I got to do some cool modeling exercises and help automate a monthly report.

Cons

Apptio has terrible internal systems, the fact that a SaaS based company doesn’t even have a data warehouse is mind boggling. Disappointed to see a company with a good product not be more data driven. Part of the job was extremely manual, due to upstream data issues. Prior to this I had come from a company which operated at large scale, so you needed to build out process that can scale. Apptio is still using processes that they used prior to their IPO. They need to get out of the stone age and develop scalable automated processes now that they are a mature company. Talent on the finance team was good, but the accounting team could be better. They have trouble closing the books on time every month which creates more churn for Finance. Attrition in the G&A Acct/Fin organization is extremely high and I see why. The company fails to invest in building out scalable processes and systems and does not do a good job of retaining top tier talent. These two weaknesses will continue to hinder Apptio until they decide to invest more in systems and retaining talent.

Advice to Management

Invest in systems, invest in hiring and retaining top tier talent.

"There’s a Theme"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, paid parking and good location.

Cons

There seems to be a common theme amongst all the reviews posted.

1. Don’t work here if you are a woman
    2. HR is worsening Apptio’s reputation and driving good people away
    3. The middle leadership is lacking

I worked at Apptio for almost 4 years and couldn’t agree more with all of the above. The women are treated terribly no matter what their job title might be, and what makes it worse is that the women in leadership (especially HR) are a huge part of the problem. The politics in this company are
    unreal and it’s causing an insane amount of turnover.
    I was treated extremely poorly my last year at Apptio and lost all respect for the company that I thought was truly the best place to work.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the entire HR department and start over. This will completely change the turnover rate and you might even get some great “boomerangs” out of it.

"Terrible culture that does not value employee contributions"

I worked at Apptio full-time

Pros

Decent group of people who want to do good

Cons

Old boys network with some that are arguably misogynistic; product marketing managed by rogue managers speaks volumes to what sort of behavior is embraced

Advice to Management

Listen to your seasoned employees; they might have more to contribute than you think

"Company transformation is non-existent"

I worked at Apptio full-time

Pros

Kitchens on every floor.
    Good benefits package

Cons

Mangement is antagonistic towards and new suggestions/ideas
    Some teams are diverse and encouraging, others are stuck in a rut and openly hostile to any new ideas.
    HR encourages diversity hires, then does nothing when a diversity candidate is "let go" for "team fit" reasons.

Advice to Management

You have a good product, and talk a good game. Live up to it and the company might be worth working for.

"Sales Development Rep"

I worked at Apptio full-time

Pros

1.Was able to be promoted to field sales within 18 months of joining the SDR team.

2.Truly enjoyed the culture in Marketing (SDR's roll up to marketing) and highly value the relationships that were built among peers and leadership.

Cons

Career development is valued however defining structured programs could be helpful.

"Terrible HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company growing, stock price is good

Cons

HR leadership is terrible. Very "old boys" mentality. Employees call the shots.. and HR Leader is all talk no action.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee's - past and present. Take a true interest on why they are leaving. Many good employees are leaving due to internal "culture"

"Like a bad marriage"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and the medical benefits are good. There’s also free snacks in the kitchen. Company holiday party used to be a lot better but it’s still good.

Cons

1. Many roles lack career paths, so unless you’re a driven person you won’t have an easy time advancing. HR has been saying career paths were coming for years but still nothing and no updates on progress are ever communicated out. Just useless words at this point.
    2. The culture has changed a lot, and unfortunately a lot of great people have either left or been driven out. There’s a push for hiring “culture adds” but they’re more subtractions than anything. I feel bad for any new hire.
    3. Any discussions of raises or promotions shouldn’t be taken at face value; unless you have something in writing, don’t expect anything to ever happen. And even when negotiating raises, as a woman, you’ll have to fight the entire way unless you luck out and have a competent manager.
    4. There’s a lot of promotion on how it’s a great place for women to advance their careers, which isn’t accurate; while there is a handful of poster children to throw out as examples, this isn’t a general practice, and a lot of those examples had to fight to advance.

"Software Engineer II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, good culture

Cons

Pay is a little below average