Apptio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Apptio Chairman, Co-Founder, President & CEO Sunny Gupta
Sunny Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Culture, benefits, flexibility & great work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Freedom to explore new technologies and work with great people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance isn't easy to achieve (in 10 reviews)

• There is also not a clearly defined career path for a specific role (in 8 reviews)

1. "Strong Culture, Limitless Product"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can grow your career at Apptio. 10+ year old company with the best of both worlds in terms of feeling like a mature start-up. If you get a good manager - and there are many in all departments - you will absolutely love coming into work. It is an exceptional experience to be a part of a company creating a category.

Cons

Management is great but needs to communicate more regularly cross-functionally.

Advice to Management

A negative review on glassdoor is likely just a disgruntled employee who probably got what they deserve - no need to look too far into it. HR is fantastic and absolutely has your back.

2. "I love this company!"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership truly wants to empower employees to succeed and they seem to really care about them. Great pay, 100% paid employee benefits, restricted stock units, vacation, sick leave and good work/life balance. Company had record growth in 2017 and is now poised to build on this success to gain greater market share.

Cons

401k, Needs to be more downstream communication from executives

Advice to Management

Keep us the great work! Communicate more with employees, continue to share the vision and give more people the opportunity to grow from within. More community service/outreach. More work/life balance.

3. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Apptio full-time

Pros

Culture, benefits, flexibility & great work/life balance

Cons

Each team within Apptio feels like its own separate company which has it positives and negatives.

"Growth is not all positive"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Apptio will be successful because of the conviction of some long time executives, the CEO, CFO, CMO, and CRO are top notch. I truly believe in our visionary CEO. And, the CMO is the most talented Mtk professional I've ever seen.

Cons

It feels too corporate now. Our products are our heart and soul, let's focus on making great technology, and less "shine". HR is not to be trusted, some of the soul of the company was lost when the former VP of People & Culture left, she was the real deal when it came to integrity and vision. Pay & benefits - so-so, development of employees - not good. Don't go to HR with complaints or suggestions, they're not really interested, but they bang their drum well.

Advice to Management

Remember our humble beginnings, and hold on to that. I like the early days frugal mindset, it's what made us great.

"HR Not to be trusted"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, most are hard working. CEO's vision is good, but needs to be communicated on a regular basis to keep employees motivated. Product is good, but not great - way too clunky and hard to implement. Has huge potential.

Cons

Not sure why the CEO can't see what's going on in HR. Their turnover rate is something I've never seen before in any other company. They pretend to care, but there's back-stabbing throughout. Very poor leadership. She certainly has her favorites and you know who they are. If you're on her "good" list, she might help you. Otherwise, do not trust her to look out for your best interest. She only has hers in mind.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on HR. There really is a problem there that needs to be resolved.
    Both the CFO and the CMO are terrific!

"Positively impact client's lives while developing your career"

Former Employee - Customer Success in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Success in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team, great customers, interesting problem space. Creating a category is honorable, hard work. Lots of room to have a positive impact on clients and company culture. High performers are rewarded, promoted, and recognized. This is a safe place to innovate, fail, revise, and try again.

Cons

De-complicating TBM is not easy. As a consequence, the number of teams & people required to service a customer often felt complex and sometimes cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Stay lean. Career advancement is not a participation sport - continue to be a meritocracy.

"SDR"

Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, rewarding for motivated salesperson

Cons

no 401K) match when I was there

"Accounting"

I have been working at Apptio full-time

Pros

The culture is very laid back. Office environment is friendly. Lots of free snacks and food.

Cons

Management needs training. Some of the managers in the department don't even know what they're doing. They are a bunch of slackers. They need to set a good example for the employees in the department . Too many employees hang out in the lunch room. People don't seem to work at all.

Advice to Management

Take training on how to be better at managing people.

9. "Review"

I worked at Apptio (More than 5 years)

Pros

The working atmosphere and environment. Core principles. Really good product that practically sells itself. Industry leader. Treats employees right.

Cons

In the years I worked there, employee development was poor. If there was a need of a position, instead of training and growing its people to be ready to take up the position, would hire externally someone who had more experience. Sometimes that person wouldn't align very well with the culture.

10. "Up and coming"

I have been working at Apptio full-time

Pros

Come and go when needed there isn't a specific time to get to work just get your work done.
    High level executives and C level leaders are always in the office and have access to them, they usually are the first in and last out from the office.
    Free parking
    Free food
    Lots of spiffs=more opportunities to make more money
    They promote and expect people to own up to things, good, bad, anything. If you make a mistake just learn from it.

Cons

Recent leadership changes so some growing pains.
    They invest more in the employee which is amazing however with some systems they are a bit dated with hurts when needing to get work done.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!