Apptio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Apptio Chairman, Co-Founder, President & CEO Sunny Gupta
Sunny Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance will suffer (not sure if thats the case for all departments/teams)" (in 10 reviews)

• "There’s also free snacks in the kitchen" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on which department you work under, work/life balance doesn't exist" (in 13 reviews)

• "Recent leadership changes so some growing pains" (in 6 reviews)

"Great Company, Great People, Great Products"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart and wonderful people work at Apptio. The HR team is probably the best ive worked with. We were acquired and have been treated exceptionally well. The company is very focused on employee welfare, and the investment keeps growing. The products are excellent and the company carries a high NPS score. With recently being acquired by Vista, and us residing in the growth fund, it sure looks like we will be an accelerated trajectory for growth. Look at what Vista did with Marketo. The executive leadership team is outstanding, and always take the time to connect with employees and customers. I am very bullish on the future of Apptio.

Cons

Being acquired is always tough, and there are growing pains. That was resolved fairly quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in leadership training for 1st and second line management.

"Lots of potential but disappointing culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Apptio will continue to grow as a member of the Vista portfolio so there is definitely not a lack of things to do. There are many interesting problems to solve and lots of opportunity to make an impact. It is an exciting time to be a part of an impressive success story.
    Other benefits - market-rate compensation, snacks, decent work/life balance, supportive coworkers, and a handful of really great leaders

Cons

My biggest issue with Apptio was culture.
    - High turnover
    - Top-down management
    - Glass half-empty mentality created a negative culture (in my opinion)
    - Low morale amongst colleagues
    - The squeaky wheel gets the grease
    - Too many competing priorities made it difficult to get things done or work effectively with coworkers
    Apptio is an example of how a company can still be successful if they have a good product/market fit but miss in other areas.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words. Please demonstrate that you value your employees by providing clear direction, discussing change openly, and remembering that your employees are people with interests, goals and opinions that matter. You become at risk of losing dedicated employees when you don't take into account how change impacts individuals and teams. You lose people when you turn a blind eye to toxic behavior. You lose people when you don't empower your employees. Apptio isn't all bad, and there are certainly positive things that should be recognized, but there are better company cultures and just as exciting products to work on elsewhere.

"Toxic Sales Culture"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great people to work with at the peer level. Leader in the market, since Chris Pick helped define the market via the TBM Council. Great enablement for new hires.

Cons

Incredibly high turnover in sales. The average tenure is only 18 months. A very select few make their numbers. The comp plans are way too complex, and seem created to make sure people don't make money. Management cherry picks accounts, and gives them to their favorite reps. Top down leadership, with an old school approach. The executive team is arrogant, and is not willing to listen to outsiders. This is likely why they were only public for two years, before being purchased by a PE. I interpret this as a lack of faith and execution of the executive team. They have had minimal growth. The CRO will publicly shame people, and threaten them with firing if they don't close business. It's all about the numbers, and leadership has zero loyalty and respect for reps. The product is a very difficult sell, because it's an IT Software, and this makes it very hard for companies to get budget for it. It's considered a 'nice to have'. At the end of the day, the product is just an automated, prettied-up, spreadsheet.

Advice to Management

Vista Equity - Time to bring in new Executive Leadership who understand how to lead people and grow a business.

"Vastly growing, yet, behind..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of energy and enthusiasm of the future. Free snacks and beverages. Fun family and company activities held a few times a year. Flexible hours and able to work from home. Benefits and salary are ok. Overall, Apptio has potential but just needs to make it happen.

Cons

Depending on which department you work under, work/life balance doesn't exist. Much of the data gathered is done manually. The simplest tasks are very tedious; no automation process whatsoever. Quite a number of turn-overs. Constant changes occurring and notices of changes are relayed to team/department are usually mentioned at the last minute. If not stagnant, any talks of beneficial changes takes months before anything is implemented.

Advice to Management

Weekly one on ones are pointless if words are falling on deaf ears.

5. "Great place to work"

I worked at Apptio full-time

Pros

Dedicated, energetic management team, passionate about creating and building new market category, very customer focused, excellent sales, marketing and customer success leadership.

Cons

Potentially change tactics too frequently. Sometimes don't give projects or initiatives enough resources or time to really prove them out.

Advice to Management

Add more cross-functional goals to minimize sub-optimization by function.

6. "Nirvana for IT Leaders"

I have been working at Apptio full-time

Pros

Tons of energy- perfect time to be an Apptian! CIO's are reaching out to us - very little competition outside of spreadsheets/status quo. Our solutions map directly to IT pain, conversations are easy, and it is a great feeling knowing Apptio can help.

Cons

No 401k Match- HR could do better if they would connect with people in the field.

Advice to Management

Our competition is ourselves. Stop the SPAM to the executive level contacts who download our content. First impressions can be the last. Every reach out must include evidence of research. The emails out to these executives who have spent time on our website deserve better than an email titled "Cloudy with a chance of hidden costs?" or "A package is on its way!" My question - would any of you open an email with the above subject lines?

7. "One of the best company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at Apptio for 2 years

Pay: It is according to market rate in Seattle/Bellevue area and if you are good at what you do, then you can easily make much more.

Free parking

Technology: Apptio is a pure technology company, engineers would like working here. They are not afraid to try new things and keep themselves updated with the latest technology trends.

People: I think it has some of the best engineers of the industry. They are genuinely working to take Apptio to the next level. The work culture is very good, people don't interfere in your work, you are given the freedom and the opportunities to progress in your career. People are fast in what they do and provide help if needed, and everyone from an intern to principle developers are expected to produce results and if you are not performing you are fired. I think this is the reason Apptio is one of the few companies where the performance bar is very high and they have maintained that over the years. Coming to work everyday is a pleasure and you know you will be learning something new and work on interesting problems

Work Balance: It is not a place if you want to take it easy. Work life balance will suffer (not sure if thats the case for all departments/teams).

Overall: A great place to work, extremely intelligent and hard working people.

Cons

As with any company, some teams just are not performing and have below average engineers.
    No 401k

Advice to Management

Give 401k
    Provide in office lunch facilities at subsidized rates

8. "Great place to chart your own path"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been blown away with the caliber of my fellow employees. These are some of the brightest people I have ever worked with. If you are looking to do the same thing day to day, this might not be the right place. However if you like to problem solve and chart your own path the only thing holding you back is you.

Cons

Still don’t offer a 401k match

Advice to Management

Look at ways to sponsor and grow your individuals in your team.

9. "Fast paced, supportive of both women & men"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate management who makes me excited to learn & work. Lots of opportunities to take side projects that you’re interested in and expand your skill set. Between learning about IT, Finance & the software itself there is not a day that goes by slowly or without learning something. The company is close knit and feels like a family. As a female employee with female leaders above me, I have never felt less than or overlooked by my male colleagues. The sky is the limit for those with good work ethic & passion at Apptio!

Cons

No 401k match, would like more opportunities to learn/mingle between departments

Advice to Management

More formalized education & growth courses. Keep up the opportunities to volunteer. Stay away from heavily sports themed events/comments from executives to avoid projecting an image of male centeredness.

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great startup culture
    -Most people at the company seemed dedicated to making the company successful
    -Small teams meant you got to know a lot of people
    -Free snacks

Cons

-A lot of the execs are ex-Microsoft or ex-Amazon employees so some of them brought with them the political BS which existed at those companies
    -Since it is a small company, not a lot of opportunities for promotions/advancement
    -Some tools were built in a hurry since the company is in startup mode so they aren't well built and are hard to figure out