Apptio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Apptio Chairman, Co-Founder, President & CEO Sunny Gupta
Sunny Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance will suffer (not sure if thats the case for all departments/teams)" (in 10 reviews)

• "this company has great people, a strong leadership position in a new and substantial market space, and a get it done culture" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Occasional work life balance interrupts" (in 12 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains from a company this size" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I worked at Apptio full-time

Pros

Dedicated, energetic management team, passionate about creating and building new market category, very customer focused, excellent sales, marketing and customer success leadership.

Cons

Potentially change tactics too frequently. Sometimes don't give projects or initiatives enough resources or time to really prove them out.

Advice to Management

Add more cross-functional goals to minimize sub-optimization by function.

2. "Nirvana for IT Leaders"

I have been working at Apptio full-time

Pros

Tons of energy- perfect time to be an Apptian! CIO's are reaching out to us - very little competition outside of spreadsheets/status quo. Our solutions map directly to IT pain, conversations are easy, and it is a great feeling knowing Apptio can help.

Cons

No 401k Match- HR could do better if they would connect with people in the field.

Advice to Management

Our competition is ourselves. Stop the SPAM to the executive level contacts who download our content. First impressions can be the last. Every reach out must include evidence of research. The emails out to these executives who have spent time on our website deserve better than an email titled "Cloudy with a chance of hidden costs?" or "A package is on its way!" My question - would any of you open an email with the above subject lines?

3. "One of the best company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at Apptio for 2 years

Pay: It is according to market rate in Seattle/Bellevue area and if you are good at what you do, then you can easily make much more.

Free parking

Technology: Apptio is a pure technology company, engineers would like working here. They are not afraid to try new things and keep themselves updated with the latest technology trends.

People: I think it has some of the best engineers of the industry. They are genuinely working to take Apptio to the next level. The work culture is very good, people don't interfere in your work, you are given the freedom and the opportunities to progress in your career. People are fast in what they do and provide help if needed, and everyone from an intern to principle developers are expected to produce results and if you are not performing you are fired. I think this is the reason Apptio is one of the few companies where the performance bar is very high and they have maintained that over the years. Coming to work everyday is a pleasure and you know you will be learning something new and work on interesting problems

Work Balance: It is not a place if you want to take it easy. Work life balance will suffer (not sure if thats the case for all departments/teams).

Overall: A great place to work, extremely intelligent and hard working people.

Cons

As with any company, some teams just are not performing and have below average engineers.
    No 401k

Advice to Management

Give 401k
    Provide in office lunch facilities at subsidized rates

4. "Great place to chart your own path"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been blown away with the caliber of my fellow employees. These are some of the brightest people I have ever worked with. If you are looking to do the same thing day to day, this might not be the right place. However if you like to problem solve and chart your own path the only thing holding you back is you.

Cons

Still don’t offer a 401k match

Advice to Management

Look at ways to sponsor and grow your individuals in your team.

5. "Fast paced, supportive of both women & men"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate management who makes me excited to learn & work. Lots of opportunities to take side projects that you’re interested in and expand your skill set. Between learning about IT, Finance & the software itself there is not a day that goes by slowly or without learning something. The company is close knit and feels like a family. As a female employee with female leaders above me, I have never felt less than or overlooked by my male colleagues. The sky is the limit for those with good work ethic & passion at Apptio!

Cons

No 401k match, would like more opportunities to learn/mingle between departments

Advice to Management

More formalized education & growth courses. Keep up the opportunities to volunteer. Stay away from heavily sports themed events/comments from executives to avoid projecting an image of male centeredness.

6. "Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great startup culture
    -Most people at the company seemed dedicated to making the company successful
    -Small teams meant you got to know a lot of people
    -Free snacks

Cons

-A lot of the execs are ex-Microsoft or ex-Amazon employees so some of them brought with them the political BS which existed at those companies
    -Since it is a small company, not a lot of opportunities for promotions/advancement
    -Some tools were built in a hurry since the company is in startup mode so they aren't well built and are hard to figure out

"The people make it"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great workforce.
    * Salary is good for location.

Cons

* Too much work.
    * Management will let you work evenings and weekends with no recognition.

Advice to Management

Show your workers some love, please.

8. "Dir of Alliances"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is hard to find the perfect package: the right opportunity, the right culture, great compensation. Apptio has it all. Great time to join Apptio as it presents incremental opportunity to grow and scale

Cons

Lots of varrieties of snacks :)

Advice to Management

I like that the CEO is the founder as Apptio will be his legacy. Let’s keep our eyes on the ball and maintain this awesome culture

"Great culture and place to work"

Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - SDR in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is amazing. Its why I came here and why I stayed. Even though Apptio is public and growing there seems to be an understanding that that doesnt change who Apptio is. Tons of opportunity with the growth and the diversity is about as good as it gets.

Cons

A lot of sitting at a desk but that goes with the job and they give you riser desks so not too bad.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and allow people the room for growth. I have never been w an organization that is so supportive of people moving on to the next level or field that they are passionate about.

"YMMV depending on department"

I worked at Apptio (More than 3 years)

Pros

Apptio does a great job recruiting talented individual contributors
    There are certain great managers (I was lucky enough to have one) which makes everything else much more tolerable
    Flexible schedule, though it depends on your manager
    If you are outgoing and willing to drive your own career, it is actually relatively easy to move upwards or laterally. However, I saw instances where the reverse is also true in that there is not a lot of nurturing.

Cons

There is a clear hierarchy of departments where anything the sales org says, goes. While this is somewhat driven by the nature of the product and the company's startup roots, the attitude needs to change as the company grows and each rogue decision drives a cascading amount of work both in the short term as well as the long term, dealing with non-standardized and one-off issues.
    Management hasn't quite grown with the company. While the strategies and techniques used by the managers might have worked well for a company half its size, they don't work at its current scale. Bringing in senior leadership from larger companies could help alleviate this issue.

Advice to Management

You hire great people in most departments, that shows you're doing something right. However these great people tend to leave in droves in certain departments. A shift away from favoritism and a clear departmental hierarchy could help enable the "One Apptio" motto as you grow.