Apptio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Apptio Chairman, Co-Founder, President & CEO Sunny Gupta
Sunny Gupta

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and culture (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, easy to work with and very helpful (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the department you work in - you may have a less than optimal work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• There is also not a clearly defined career path for a specific role (in 8 reviews)

"One of the best places to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Development Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Development Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio (More than a year)

Pros

I was apart of the inside sales & marketing team at Apptio for two years. It was always a fun and rewarding environment, full of super talented and successful people. When everyone is striving for the same goal, it is easy to get up for work in the morning(even on Mondays).

The management team is world class. The open structure allows for visibility directly into C-Level. The CMO is a visionary and I consider it a complete honor to learn from him. He has built a truly world class marketing team that is full of leaders and industry innovators. My direct boss, the director of the Inside Sales, is one of the best bosses I have had as a professional. He continually went out of his way to make sure the team was able to execute on our goals by removing any obstacles in our path.

I would not hesitate recommend anyone to Apptio and the marketing team.

Cons

Apptio is a extremely fast paced environment which I personally thrived on, but there are time things can be lost in the shuffle. It is important for you to keep a consistent open line communication with your manager and team.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You have made Apptio a fun and competitive workplace that brings out the best in their employees. I will forever be grateful for my time at Apptio.

"Leadership Seems Incapable of Growing Past Being a Startup"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to become a huge force in the software industry. I am not aware of a single company out there with a clearer path to becoming a software giant. Stable revenue stream; company and the jobs it provides will be around for years. Really nice people and fun place to spend your days.

Cons

Appears to have near zero chance of actually realizing potential due to inability to transition from startup to product company. Nobody at any level has a real vision for the future. Lots of corny catch phrases and tag lines like "make our customers wildly successful" but nothing that grounds HOW they plan to do that.

Severe deficit in the upper levels of the engineering team. Some of the engineering decisions and practices that are made by the very top of the department are shockingly amateur and outdated, resulting in a platform that is built on spaghetti code and is apparently incapable of adding trivial features and fixing minor bugs. Total refusal to acknowledge this deficit by the executive team, they're all about sales and marketing and could not care less about the quality of the product...and this attitude shows big time. The engineering quality is embarrassing and somehow they brag about it and delude themselves into thinking it is great simply because they found a large market need and they've rode that wave to relative success. They better hope a company led by real engineers does not come along and challenge them, because they will lose easily.

Advice to Management

Clean house in the engineering department. It may be painful, but your leaders there are really holding the company back. It's not 2008 anymore, and outdated technologies and patterns are outdated for very real reasons. Modern technology will make the features your customers want trivial to add, and will give you the power you need to really become an industry giant. You can do it, but you have to have the courage to make those tough decisions and hand management of your engineering department to people who haven't been hiding in a dark closet for the past decade and actually know how to build proper, modern software. The future of your company depends on it.

"Run"

Current Employee - Accountant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of parties and alcohol. Benefits and pay are average. Promotion is not based on your skill or experience but how well you play the game.

Cons

High school environment. Accounting managers are inexperienced and cannot be trusted. Good at throwing their subordinates under the bus! Lack of integrity and morals. HR cannot be trusted. You can start packing your desk if you complain to HR about your managers.

4. "The usual growing pains."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities in the TBM market as they pretty much own it. Some really great people.

Cons

Can be very Seattle (Bellevue) centric. Typical growing pains from a company this size.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Look, no employment is perfect. Every company and role will give you challenges and annoyances. Apptio has a great culture. They strive, they constantly experiment and innovate, and they offer a great working environment.

Cons

There is typical bi-costalism. The east coast office and west coast offices don't operate in sync as well as they should. Also there is already developing some soloed mentalities which I blame partly on office layout.

"SDE2 at Apptio"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance and culture

Cons

A lot of problems related to "get it done now" decision-making

"Great people and culture, uncertain products and benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time

Pros

- Very intelligent colleagues, lots to learn
    - Company still feels relatively agile
    - Fun culture with beer, snacks and lively office environment

Cons

- Not a product driven company at the moment
    - No clear path to career progression, sub par benefit package
    - Work/life balance an issue for many departments, some more than others

Advice to Management

- Cut out frivolous snacks and perks for better employee pay and benefits
    - Communicate and execute on a cohesive long term product strategy

8. "Great company"

I have been working at Apptio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Values people consistently, really pushes for great results but gives support when you need it. Work-life balance is up to you, as with any company if you put more in you'll get more out. Many people have a solid 40/hr week then go home and that's totally fine.
    Great benefits
    Solid career path laid out.

Cons

No matching on 401k plans.
    Location is on the outskirts of Bellevue (pro or con depending on where you live)

Advice to Management

Don't make top-down technology decisions. Research the pros and cons of all solutions then decide as a team which to implement.

"Senior Director, Product Marketing"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Sammamish, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Sammamish, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All IT departments could use the software to be more effective in managing costs. Good supply of drinks, fruit and snacks for employees.

Cons

Still trying to figure out how to scale outside the Fortune 100 which will be key to future growth. Leadership needs to be more open to new ideas by leveraging the strength of their former employees experience.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees ideas and utilize their prior experience instead of just telling them what to do.

"Demotion - Well Deserved!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

There are no pros at this company. If I were you I would stay away, far away. All you have to do it look at the rapid turnover rate - You will be amazed and not in a good way.

Cons

All I can say is look at other glass door reviews, they are very truthful. The real con is that a lot of former Microsoft executives are in senior level and C level roles and have brought essentially the same bad habit and practices over. I feel like I am always looking my shoulder and waiting for the next barrage.

Advice to Management

I will tip my hat to management that they finally took action and demoted their CIO - Eric Watson (former Microsoft employee). As part of the demotion , he now has no direct reports which is fantastic for his former employees and the company as a whole!

@Eric - If you see this, "What goes around, comes around" - Congrats on your wake-up call.