ArcBest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 26, 2017

2.9

Robotics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ArcBest (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

It was a preliminary telephonic call by the company for initial screening. I was asked some basic pre-screening questions based on my resume and job profiling. The call went on for about 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most interesting project that you have worked on.   Answer Question
    • What is the definition of an Ideal manager for you?   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst () Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ArcBest.

Interview

Attended a career fair at a college. Then ArcBest selects who they want to interview later that week on campus. There is another interview in Fort Smith if you are selected for that. They will bring you down to stay in a hotel and show you around the town.

Interview Questions

• Technical programming problem that had to do with a problem that they fixed   1 Answer

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ArcBest (Fort Smith, AR) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online. I had a quick phone interview, then met an associate director on-site for the first face-to-face interview. I was asked many questions regarding background, technical abilities, and - most importantly - personality. I was invited back about two weeks later for a full-day interview meeting different teams and the different teams' associate directors. The interviews consisted of several one-on-one interviews and a couple of team interviews which included technical questions and programming questions.

Interview Questions

• Look at this existing piece of code and troubleshoot it. What is it doing, and can you walk us through it? Is it correct or incorrect? How would you change it - why/how?   Answer Question

Human Resources Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ArcBest (Fayetteville, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted about 30 minutes. They asked my experience as a college student. They were very friendly. I feel like they would be an excellent company to work for.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to work hard?   1 Answer

Enterprise Customer Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Smith, AR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ArcBest (Fort Smith, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

First had a 25-min phone interview w/2 employees (project manager + 1 other). Then was invited for an on-site round-table interview w/4 employees (project managers, engineers). Mostly behavioral questions. Seems like the company wanted to ensure its employees have a personality beyond their jobs (one project manager wore a light purple suit and a bowtie) and they asked a few fun questions (What's something weird about you? What's your walk-out song?). After the group discussion, met with the ECS director but didn't really get asked any questions, just got an overview of the vision of the program (since ECS is new).

Interview Questions

• - Tell us about yourself without discussing what’s on your resume
      - What are your strengths and weaknesses (but don’t tell us a fake weakness like “I’m a perfectionist); Tell us a time when you encountered this weakness and what you did about it
      - Why are you interested in our company and this position?
      - Tell us about a time when you did something that made a big impact on someone and what the outcome was
      - Name one thing you are passionate about
      - Tell us a weird thing about yourself that you are secretly proud of
      - What are you looking for in a job/internship?
      - How would you feel about dealing with an upset customer? How would you handle the situation?
      - Why might the company operate at a loss? (To establish/maintain customer relationships, to get our name out, to continue generating some sort of revenue instead of none at all)
      - Tell us about your graduate research work
      - What does work ethic mean to you and what motivates you?
      - How would you describe your attention to detail?
      - Tell us about a time when you had an idea that was strongly opposed and what you did about it
      - What would your walkout song be?
      Answer Question

Economic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Smith, AR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ArcBest (Fort Smith, AR).

Interview

I applied through the career services at my school. I was contacted within a week for an on-campus interview the following week. I showed up and realized the interviewers were at their offices and the interview was through video conference. It was a good interview, mostly behavioral. The recruiter did a good job of staying in touch with updates.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ArcBest (Fort Smith, AR) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was primarily a psychological and emotional check, though there were a little bit of questions on skill sets and simple algorithmic challenges. All interviewers were incredibly friendly and down-to-Earth.

Quotation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ArcBest (Fort Smith, AR).

Interview

Process consisted of a phone interview, two face-to-face interviews and an extensive background check. The phone interview consisted of very basic background questions and resume clarification. The first face-to-face interview consisted of behavioral and situational questions followed by a skills test (math and typing). The second face-to-face interview was with the VP of sales and consisted of more behavioral and personal questions to see if I was a fit for the culture.

I was offered the position the same week and accepted. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions.

What is a time where you dealt with a disgruntled customer and still created a successful sales situation?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not Negotiate.

Systems Analyst () Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ArcBest (Fort Smith, AR) in October 2011.

Interview

All day process. Interviewed with 5 people and went to lunch with a group of people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing. No salary increase or more vacation.

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ArcBest (Fort Smith, AR) in October 2010.

Interview

I should mention that they tend to consider your GPA pretty strongly. Most people I know that tried to interview with them only got an interview if they had >3.5GPA. A few of them tried again the next year and got in probably due to a strong need for more people.

I started the interview process by signing up for a college campus interview with ArcBest Technologies after hearing about them from faculty and colleagues. This interview was for an internship position with the company but I think it is pretty similar to the full-time position interviews. The interviewer did not ask many technical questions but focused more on questions about my personality and ambitions. They save most of the technical questions for the second level of interviews which occurs on-site at their general office. Concerning my first interview, I found out later on that the interviewer was actually filling in for the normal person who conducted interviews so that may have affected the questions asked and the overall feel of the interview. Either way, after interviewing with them, about a month later they called me asking if I would be interested in an on-site interview and I accepted.

The on-site interview process was one of the better interview processes I've been through. They pay for your trip (and a hotel stay if necessary) and they take you out to a decent restaurant for lunch and pay for that as well. Starting the day off, they gave me a briefing of the interview schedule and then they sent me to my first 1:1 interview. The first interview was still mostly centered around personality and fitting in with the company culture (this seems to be a big concern of theirs). Also, I was introduced to many different people including mid-level employees, managers, directors, and the president. The second interview was a 1:1 technical interview. I was asked fairly simple questions with one "big" question to test my critical-thinking/algorithm skills. Based on the responses from the interviewer, I believe I "passed" all the tests. After that, I was taken on a tour of the office where I met some more people and potential future coworkers. Everyone seemed to be very nice and nobody seemed to be bothered by the intrusion. After the tour, I was taken out to lunch with a couple other employees. We went to a mid-priced casual-dining restaurant. The lunch was pretty laid back but I could tell they were still probing me a bit to figure out my personality and if I would "fit in" with the other employees. They still were able to keep it pretty casual and I wasn't feeling too nervous or anything. After the lunch, I was taken on a driving tour of Fort Smith with, yet again, a couple different employees. I think this part felt a little long-winded and it probably didn't help that I was really starting to feel an after-lunch nap approaching. Luckily, I survived and the employees did a good job of trying to keep it interesting. Also, we stopped by a coffee shop and they got me a frozen coffee drink which was nice. Then, once we got back to the office, I met with the organizer and he wrapped-up the process with some small talk and some more info about the company. Overall, it was a great interviewing experience where I felt catered to and important. Also, I was never "interviewed" by more than one person at a time as far as the more formal/technical interviews were concerned. When on the tours and at lunch, I never felt very nervous or pressured.

About another month after being interviewed, they called me back with the results of the interview. I like that they were quick about it especially since they were quicker than the other companies I was interviewing with at the time.

Interview Questions

• The only tough question I had was to orally explain how to reorder/sort a list based on certain criteria (I can't remember the criteria specifically).   1 Answer

Negotiation

Given that I was applying for an internship, there wasn't really anything to negotiate about. They discussed pay and housing options and I considered it and gave them an answer.