Ashley Furniture Homestore Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Ashley Furniture Homestore

2.3

Sort:

Corporate Office Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore in October 2015.

Interview

Interview process moved quickly having 2 phone interviews and 1 in-person interview with several different individuals. The negative experience comes from being told a date they will follow-up by, and receiving no other communication. A final email inquiry to the HR contact has gone unanswered. Obviously I did not get offered a position, but simple business courtesy would be to let me know.

Interview Questions

• Why Ashley?   2 Answers
    • Tell me about a situation where you faced conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore.

Interview

I spoke to a recruiter over the phone, which led to an interview with a manager in store. The store was really busy with a project so I felt like, it was a really vacant interview despite my attempts to give it my all. I came very prepared with my visual merchandising portfolio in hand. I was offered a second interview doing a vignette. It was a lot of fun and requires some muscles. I called after 3 days to touch bases and felt like I was giving the run around. Unfortunately no answer and no call back.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore (Hawthorne, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

It took a while to get seen, but eventually the process was pretty easy. There were several follow up interviews and drug screenings. I never met with senior management before being hired, though store manager was a great asset

Interview Questions

• Previous experience. Relationship/knowledge of company. Flexibility and reliability.   Answer Question

CAD Drafter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore (Edison, NJ).

Interview

I applied online. In about a week I received a phone call from the HR. It was a young girl who asked me about my previous experience. The phone interview lasted about 15 mins. She asked me about availability and then scheduled an interview with a manager for the following week.
    I went to the 1st interview with the manager. Manager seemed knowledgeable of work/products and company's policies, but did not ask any questions about my past experience, or any standard interview questions. Just talked about herself and how great the company is which I found weird and awkward. Interview lasted about 40 mins.
         In about 2 weeks I heard back from the HR girl, she seemed happy and excited on the phone, wanted to schedule a 2nd interview with me with 2 other managers. The interview was with a man and a woman. They acted very professional and were asking me the standard interview questions, previous experience, my knowledge of CAD, and etc. They saw my portfolio and said they were impressed. The woman was asking most of the questions and taking notes of my answers, whereas the man observed me quietly. At the 2nd interview I actually met the HR girl in person briefly, which was nice because we communicated a lot on the phone and by emails. I was asked about 30-40 questions and interview lasted about 1 hour.
         In about 2 weeks more or less I heard from the HR girl again, she wanted to schedule a 3rd interview with me with a higher - rank manager. The 3rd interview was tense, the man was very intimidating and kind of trying to persuade me to change my answers. Gave me particular situations and asked me what would I do if...Overall, all of his questions were very good and he was really trying to get to know me and how I work. I showed him my portfolio and he said he liked it. He said he doesn't have any experience with CAD and that he appreciates my work shown to him. Before the interview ended he asked me if I had more time to meet with another person... I said 'yes' and waited for him in the conference room to get that person, he came back shortly and said that the person is eating lunch and can't come. He said "we will keep in touch with you and we will make a decision in a week." The 3rd interview lasted about 1.5 hours and I was asked about 30-40 questions/scenarios.
         Since my last interview with Ashley Furniture's Managers, I have not heard a word. I followed up twice with the HR girl, 2 phone calls, left her a voicemail, sent her an email....NO RESPONSE. Previously she was quick to answer me in about 2-3 days I received a response, but this time NOTHING. I waited couple of days and I wrote a very nice email to the manager from the first interview to tell her that I am still interested in the position. I did not hear from her. When I had my 1st interview with her I sent a thank letter and followed up with her, she responded quickly and said they are still interviewing and I will hear from them soon. After my 2nd interview, I sent thank you letters and followed up...the man from the 2nd interview emailed me and asked me if I am available for a third interview.... They DID communicate with me when they wanted interviews but when the 3rd interview was over they treated me with silence. WHY???
         So, I did not consider writing anymore emails or calling them... I think I did enough. I mean come on??? I have another job and needed to make arrangements with it in order to go to these interviews, I wasted so much time on them!!! It is so RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL to call someone to 3 interviews and waste their time AND NOT WRITE them a quick email stating that you moved on to another candidate! I MET 5 PEOPLE FROM THIS COMPANY, WROTE 4 CUSTOM THANK YOU LETTERS, FILLED OUT APPLICATION, PREPARED FOR ALL INTERVIEWS, FOLLOWED UP WITH THEM ON NUMEROUS TIMES.... AND GOT NOTHING!
         If this is how they treat people, NO THANK YOU...I don't want to be a part of this "fake polite attitude" and business. Ashley People, HAVE the audacity to call/ communicate with people you interview... that's why you have HR Department... which apparently sucks...
    This whole experience was horrible, people like myself put a lot effort and time to go to interviews and they deserve to be treated with respect....
    NO, I will not apply to this company EVER again or spend my money on their furniture. THEY DON'T DESERVE IT!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself....? Can people rely on you? If we called your previous boss, what would he/she say about you? Why did you major in that subject in college? Why did you leave this employer? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? and more...   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnstown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore (Johnstown, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone which she asked about my previous job related experience. She let me know I was going to the second process of the interviewing. It was face to face and one of the questions that most employers will ask is tell me about yourself, this by no means you tell them about your hobbies, nor your whole life story, they want to know your about your experience, skills, and abilities. However, I wouldn't recommend this job to someone who needs guaranteed money like myself. The way the interviewer explained is that you only make commission. They also offer $10 an hour depending on which is higher either your commission or the flat pay rate. Basically, the $10 they provide is a LOAN, and you will have to pay the money back when you receive your next pay. For me that's not worth my time, this reminds me of a teenager just starting out - which I would say this is the perfect job for them, but, for an adult this wouldn't be my direction nor should it be anyone else's. I haven't been offered a position as of now but I don't plan on accepting.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?

Describe a time that you had to manage a team that worked on commission only?

Describe a time when you had to speak to an employee about their performance? What happened and How did you overcome this?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore.

Interview

Called by district trainer/recruiter for face to face interview. Next meet with VP of store operations, was told if I passed his interview with him would interview with licensee owner, which I did. Again went over resume in great detail.

Interview Questions

• They went through every step of my resume. Asked about my experience with selling furniture and working in a commission based environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They did not offer me the general manager position I applied for because I didnt have any commission based experience, just 15 years of non-commissioned retail experience. They did offer me the Sales Manager position as basically a way to show I could adapt to commission based sales and fast track to a GM position.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore in June 2016.

Interview

Asked about my experience with competitors in the retail furniture industry, college education, my comfort on closing sales, my willingness to relocate for available positions, and my flexibility to work extensive retail hours

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore.

Interview

Submitted my resume and played phone tag for two weeks. They scheduled an interview and only asked me a couple questions. They let me know in advance that their family had strong personalities and asked me how I felt about that. Not a problem, as I have been in retail a long time. They asked me my salary requirements. If I had kids and would I have to go home if they got sick. What my previous experience was.Then discussed salary expectations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary lower than expected, but I was satisfied.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore in January 2010.

Interview

The interview process for sales positions were difficult. If you show up on time and have a good sales acumen and present yourself professionally in the interview, then you have a great opportunity to be hired. The downside is that it can be bit of a revolving door. If you are good at sales, expect to earn 45-70k. Expect 2 interview. Training is generally 2 weeks with a minimum wage training.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ashley Furniture Homestore in January 2011.

Interview

You fill out the application and give to management, they call you and speak with you, they let you know they will call you depending on if you fit the desired position. They ask questions about your past experience, your work ethic, what you brought to your previous company, what you will bring to this company.

Interview Questions

• How are you with Customers?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none