Avenue Code Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Avenue Code Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2018

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Aside from the recruiter not being communicative on emails, on the phone the recruiter lectured me about how Avenue Code requires their junior software engineers to have 4+ years of professional experience. It seems Avenue Code is simply hoping to pay mid-level engineers junior-level salary. ..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Avenue Code (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a call from the recruiter to discuss about the role and other things followed by an online technical test and I had two rounds of technical interviews. Recruiting process is very slow! I sent an email to the recruiter about my interview result but he never bothered to respond. After two weeks, I got an email from the company saying they selected some other candidate.

Interview Questions

• 3 online technical questions, one was very easy, 1 was medium and another one was difficult. In first Skype interview, interviewer asked C# questions (Dependency Injection, Mock Framework, ORM, Multi-threading and etc) and in an another Skype interview, interviewer asked about Recursive function.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Avenue Code in March 2018.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn and had an initial phone call and he sent me a coding challenge to complete in a week which was to build a REST API for a contact application. I submitted the coding challenge and then got a call from a senior engineer for a technical interview. Moved on to the final round to have a conversation with the CTO. I got good feedback from everyone but they never got back to me with an offer. Months went by and I accepted another offer. 4-5 months later another recruiter contacted me and said they have a position for a senior software engineer and since I have been through the whole process then I don’t have to go through it again(Thank God for not wasting my time again!!). Weeks went by again and they have still don’t have an offer for me.

Interview Questions

• Simple core java questions on multi threading, Collections API and garbage collection.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avenue Code (Dallas, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

Scheduled a 30 minute technical phone interview. Interviewer instead called 7 minutes late, and went on for 60 minutes with a full Skype video call.

Interviewer did ask some good technical questions - most straight out of the normal bag of "What did the latest Java version introduce?", but also asked what I thought were some strange ones "How would you debug a Spring Boot API?" (apparently using the /info endpoint, not hooking up a debugger) and "How do you write API tests?" (we had to dance for a bit before we could figure what type of mock/integration-style testing library he wanted me to mention). He asked about my current company's practices, criticized them, and when I admitted to any shortcomings, he then criticized me for not understanding my company's architecture.

He ended the interview with suggesting a 20 mile drive to work wasn't bad and the next time I was in the Bay Area or NYC I should go driving for 20 miles.

Some fair technical questions. Felt talked down to during interview

Interview Questions

• Write the Java code (without an IDE or help from Google) to find the elements common between two arrays.

Interviewer will request screen share to verify you're not using any Internet resource (and request you disconnect extra monitors if you have more than one).

Then, what is the Big O complexity of the algorithm you wrote   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avenue Code (San Jose, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Began with an email asking for a day and time for a 30 minute screening interview. That call was primarily going over my resume and background with a few cultural fit inquiries.

Interview Questions

• Are you OK reporting to a VP and how would you grow the business?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interview

Came into the office to meet the recruiting team/management and was asked some pretty basic questions. The team did a great job at conveying what was expected of me and to help me perfectly understand the role I was entering.

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avenue Code (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I simply must leave review for this company interview, as I should do this for all unprofessional HR acts out there, as a warning for candidates. I had received a request to set my time aside from their HR. I had not received a call at scheduled time; however, 15 minutes later, I received a call from their recruiter with NO apology about them being late whatsoever. The fast-talking recruiter who appeared to be inexperienced began from asking me questions addressing details of my immigration status right off the bat, even though my ability to work for any employer was clearly mentioned in my resume. My "immigration status" happens to be as American as it gets. Despite me making this clear, he proceeded to insist that I somehow may need a visa (I have an accent, after having moved to this country 16 years ago) and kept saying "we do make visas". I became pretty clear for me what it was about. I was asked several questions about my background (which was fully matching their position requirements) and I was asked to set my time aside for in-person on site interview to test my technical skills and determine "CULTURE FIT" . I said that I needed to look at my schedule to see available times and was asked to email them. Needless to say I never heard back after emailing them the available times. Another example of disrespectful HR culture that took over certain subset of SF internet and mobile companies. This finally made me rethink applying with SF tech companies altogether, as I keep observing bad scheduling attitudes and complete lack of most basic courtesy in a few of these.

Lead Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avenue Code.

Interview

The screen went well and concluded with a planned Skype call from the Recruiting Director. Received a phone call from her instead just prior to Thanksgiving. It was a brief conversation. I was invited to come in on short notice. I had just returned from travel and I couldn't make that happen so we then planned to pick things up in early December. Around mid December I emailed my initial contact for status and received no reply to my email. Seems like a good company. I have nothing negative or positive to add, just that as a Lead Recruiter who is big on offering candidates a positive interview/hiring experience that it is unprofessional to ignore candidates you engage in the interview process.
    No advice. Probably a good recruiting team.I think there are approximately 4-5 mid level recruiters on the team which is a manageable team to lead.

Interview Questions

• Questions were typical prescreen questions from a Jr-Mid Recruiter. AvenueCode is a Systems Integrator/Management Consultant who hires mainly based on client project need. One question was how would you convince a candidate to come to work for us.   Answer Question

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avenue Code (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A very bad interview, for the first time, I received about 20 minutes of interview, had a good chat, and then sent me a 2 day code challenge. I said it was a demo, not simple, I finished it on time, but in the next week, I didn't receive any reply to my code challenge, I look up. After reading my bitbucket account, no one read my code, then I sent letters to urge them, and I received an inappropriate mail a day later.This is very unfair for me, since it is inappropriate, there is no need to waste everyone's time. I strongly do not recommend that you go to interview this company. It is very disrespectful to people.

Potential Recruitment Opportunity Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avenue Code (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Last week, I was invited in by a senior team member for consideration for a potential recruitment opportunity with Avenue Code. I was requested to come in the same day and I visited Avenue Code's San Francisco office in the early afternoon.

The meetings with the account managers and the junior recruiters went exceptionally well. We had great conversations and I felt I had built good relationships with each of them. My interview lasted a full two hours and things had been running very smoothly.

However, when I had been interviewed by one of the interviewers on the HR team, she was quite unfriendly and cold and hardly made any eye contact with me. She consistently looked down at my resume and made notes without really getting to know my background and who I am as a qualified contributor to the talent acquisition space. I felt I had provided substantial detail around my work experience and abilities and she barely appeared interested in even talking to me and asking me pertinent questions. I mean this very honestly. It was a complete turn from how my other interviews had fared.

Shortly after meeting with the recruiters (which went quite well), the senior team member who had initially invited me in that day, had walked in and said flatly he did not want to waste my time and that I would not be pursued at this time. He then requested me to leave. You can imagine my surprise at this as I was unsure of how this turn of events had happened so suddenly.

I remained polite and I kindly inquired with him what had changed (because of my surprise at his abruptness) and if there was anything I could further explain so as to continue my interview. What followed soon after seemed very hurtful and unprofessional. He stated that the feedback he received around my prior work experience was "overplayed" and was most likely "a small job". I was absolutely dismayed at this response and felt it was very wrong to speak this way to a candidate (whether I was to be considered for a role or not). All my prior roles were quite critical to the organizations I had previously served and I felt greatly undermined because of this comment. He quickly ensured I left and I was not even walked to the elevator (as this would have at least been the kind thing to do for a candidate that comes in on such a short notice).

Even after this experience, I had reached out to an alternate senior team member who had contacted me a few months ago regarding this position. I detailed the full account of my terrible interview experience. She replied saying she would like to get in touch with me to further discuss this, however, when I sent a response back to her (willing to further provide details on my on-site interview), she never responded back to me. The follow up and attention to this issue was severely lacking and proved that Avenue Code failed at rightfully resolving this matter.

This was the most unprofessional interview I have ever experienced and I am completely surprised this interview took such a drastic turn.

I thought I would share this completely true and detailed interview feedback as this certainly speaks to the reputation of Avenue Code, its interview/hiring process and the ethical treatment of its external candidates by its internal employees (even at the executive level).

I do not recommend a job seeking candidate to pursue an opportunity here. There are far better companies in the area that will at least treat you with decency and respect when they interview you (even if you are not to be considered for a role there).