Avenue Code Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Avenue Code Interview Questions

Interviews at Avenue Code

3.1

Internal Interview

Interview

Very thorough, multiple-stage interview. The internal recruiter was attentive and answered all the questions in prompt manner throughout the entire process. Initial phone screening is what one can expect with questions such as: "tell me about yourself," "walk me through your experience," etc. Next step was more thorough and involved some technical questions, followed by interview with managerial levels. Overall positive experience.

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avenue Code (San Francisco, CA) in December 2019.

Interview

I wanted to leave this review as a potential warning to other applicants. I had a pretty bad experience here.
    The interview process seemed normal with an engineering position. It started with a general phone interview with a recruiter, then a technical interview with a current engineer. I had my technical interview last Friday (today is Wednesday), and the thing that really bugs me is that it went great! The interviewer told me that I "made it further than just about every other candidate ever does", the problem never seemed to end as we only had 45 minutes and whenever I finished solving the problem at hand, he'd change the parameters to see how I'd adjust. I'm pretty observant, and I've done quite a few technical interviews in my day - I know when they go bad and this one did not at all! It was one of the better ones that I've ever had. The interviewer even told me at the end that "I'll send my feedback to HR, but you can be assured that it will be good and we should get you on-site soon." Because of this I was shocked today when the recruiter called me and said "I was able to get feedback from your technical interview, and the feedback was that you 'need a better understanding of the Swift language and Swift libraries', because of this feedback we will not be able to move further with you."
    I was completely shocked. Not what I was expecting at all. I honestly think she got the wrong feedback and didn't communicate well with the engineer who interviewed me. I really have no other explanation, and it really bothers me.
    A lot of the other reviews on here describing a culture of bad communication and shady recruiting tactics make sense now. I'm almost wondering if they reject any US Citizen applicants regardless of how well they perform so that they can say "we tried to fill this roll and can't so we need more H1-B visas!" - unfortunately a lot of companies with questionable ethics use this and similar tactics all the time, especially in tech. From what I've read Avenue Code might be a company with questionable ethics based on what I've read. Maybe I dodged a bullet? I don't know, but I'm definitely annoyed!

Interview Questions

• Questions about iOS, Swift, Design patterns, a series of coding challenges on CoderPad.d   Answer Question

Avenue Code Response

Jan 23, 2020 – Marketing Coordinator

Hi there! Thank you for your thorough review. While our technical interviews are rigorous, and designed to challenge the depth of knowledge of a candidate, we understand that such interview process can be stressful to anyone. Our interviewers are encouraged to be supportive and open to any questions an interviewee may have during the coding challenge, and we are pleased to hear that your interviewer was able to provide such.

That said, our technical interviewers are human, and miscommunication happens. We apologize that in this case false expectations were created, and we are committed to ongoing training for our interviewers.

Avenue Code is further committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records as well.

Thank you for your time, and we wish you the best of luck in your career.

UI Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avenue Code in July 2019.

Interview

Interviewed with the recruiter, took an online skills knowledge quiz, then had a behavioral video interview.

The behavioral interview had some tough questions. Each answer was heavily judged. It seemed like they were searching for any bit of negativity (which makes sense), but then would only focus on the negatives. I'm an extremely easy person to get along with and I didn't feel the interview was formatted well enough to get to know the interviewee properly and honestly.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had someone in your office that you had differences you needed to work through?   Answer Question

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Avenue Code (San Francisco, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

Applied for the Business Development and Marketing position in April 2019 and was contacted for an interview July 2019 for Bus Development Representative position. The first step was a 10 minute phone interview where the recruiter just asked what time/day the next recruiter can call me. Very brief position overview, but there were no questions about me being asked.

The second phone interview, I was asked questions about my background, took about 20 minutes and was told my next interview would be a Skype session for the following week. I sent an email with my availability and after that I got silence.

Turns out my recruiter was on her time off for a week and the next person that I was ping ponged to didn't reply to any of my emails. Finally I get to the Skype interview round which were all behavioral questions/ "tell me about a time when..." for 30 minutes, non stop spitting out questions and answers.

I was told I would be a good candidate for the position, but after another week of ghosting, I get an email saying there are internal problems at the SF location and management wants to delay recruiting for this position for the next few weeks.

I'm writing this review 7 months later, and yeah, I was ghosted :)

Interview Questions

Avenue Code Response

Feb 18, 2020 – Marketing Coordinator

Hello, and thank you for your feedback! We sincerely apologize that you had a negative experience with the team. The company has been making significant changes to its organizational structure to improve how we operate on a global level which may have resulted in the job profile modification. Again, our apologies for the lack of communication, and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention as we strive to enhance our hiring process. Best of luck on your future endeavors!

Software QA Engineer Interview

Interview

First Round technical screening Simple programming questions.
    Followed by an interview with one of the managers, semi technical.

Unprofessional is all I can say. I was told the position was for one of their clients based in NY,
     I was already setup for the interview with the same "client" via another recruiting firm. When I let the avenue code recruiter know about this after all the interview process(with avenue code), he ended up persuading me to cancel my interview that I was setup for via the other firm and that they were on very good terms with the "higher management" of their "client" and that very likely I will be able to start soon. Never heard back from the recruiter after that and I had also ended up cancelling the onsite interview with that "client" through the other recruiting firm. I wouldn't trust Avenue Code, unethical in all means.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Aside from the recruiter not being communicative on emails, on the phone the recruiter lectured me about how Avenue Code requires their junior software engineers to have 4+ years of professional experience. It seems Avenue Code is simply hoping to pay mid-level engineers junior-level salary. ..

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avenue Code (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A very bad interview, for the first time, I received about 20 minutes of interview, had a good chat, and then sent me a 2 day code challenge. I said it was a demo, not simple, I finished it on time, but in the next week, I didn't receive any reply to my code challenge, I look up. After reading my bitbucket account, no one read my code, then I sent letters to urge them, and I received an inappropriate mail a day later.This is very unfair for me, since it is inappropriate, there is no need to waste everyone's time. I strongly do not recommend that you go to interview this company. It is very disrespectful to people.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avenue Code (Dallas, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

Scheduled a 30 minute technical phone interview. Interviewer instead called 7 minutes late, and went on for 60 minutes with a full Skype video call.

Interviewer did ask some good technical questions - most straight out of the normal bag of "What did the latest Java version introduce?", but also asked what I thought were some strange ones "How would you debug a Spring Boot API?" (apparently using the /info endpoint, not hooking up a debugger) and "How do you write API tests?" (we had to dance for a bit before we could figure what type of mock/integration-style testing library he wanted me to mention). He asked about my current company's practices, criticized them, and when I admitted to any shortcomings, he then criticized me for not understanding my company's architecture.

He ended the interview with suggesting a 20 mile drive to work wasn't bad and the next time I was in the Bay Area or NYC I should go driving for 20 miles.

Some fair technical questions. Felt talked down to during interview

Interview Questions

• Write the Java code (without an IDE or help from Google) to find the elements common between two arrays.

Interviewer will request screen share to verify you're not using any Internet resource (and request you disconnect extra monitors if you have more than one).

Then, what is the Big O complexity of the algorithm you wrote   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avenue Code (San Jose, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Began with an email asking for a day and time for a 30 minute screening interview. That call was primarily going over my resume and background with a few cultural fit inquiries.

Interview Questions

• Are you OK reporting to a VP and how would you grow the business?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Avenue Code (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a call from the recruiter to discuss about the role and other things followed by an online technical test and I had two rounds of technical interviews. Recruiting process is very slow! I sent an email to the recruiter about my interview result but he never bothered to respond. After two weeks, I got an email from the company saying they selected some other candidate.

Interview Questions

• 3 online technical questions, one was very easy, 1 was medium and another one was difficult. In first Skype interview, interviewer asked C# questions (Dependency Injection, Mock Framework, ORM, Multi-threading and etc) and in an another Skype interview, interviewer asked about Recursive function.   Answer Question