B&Q Interview Questions | Glassdoor

B&Q Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2017

2.6

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q.

Interview

telephone interview, generic retail questions. then invited to in store interview. first was a group one, where we were split into teams with tasks to complete, then there was a 1-1 interview with the manager

Interview Questions

• share a time you had to work in a team   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q.

Interview

The first round is online application, and then telephone interview, after which is final face-to-face interview. The process is straightforward, and questions are company & role related (Why this company? Why this role? Why you?). Just need to be fully prepared.

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Basildon, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at B&Q (Basildon, South East England, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Very quick process, applied for the job and got an email a few days later arranging a telephone interview for the next day. Easy questions and the women who interviewed me was lovely. Was told I was successful and got invited for a one on one interview in the store the next day.
    Store interview was quite laid back with store manager who was also very friendly, interview only lasted about 30 mins. Got a call later that day offering me the job :)

Store Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at B&Q.

Interview

Lengthy process which seems pointless now because this particular store don't look after their staff at all. They would rather belittle you and reprimand you for something you have no control over!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Customer Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at B&Q.

Interview

Had a phone interview, she was very nice and only took around 5/10 minutes and got called in for an interview the next day. It was thankfully quite informal, they were very nice and made it a lot more comfortable and easy to talk to. Took around 30 minutes of the generic questions then asked if I had any holidays in the next 3 months and explained some things to me about the club cards. Then they asked me when I could start training.

Interview Questions

• When's a time you've had to resolve a problem?   1 Answer
    • When's a time you've been out of your comfort zone?   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with a large workload?   1 Answer
    • Would you feel comfortable on a busy day with large queues?   1 Answer

Checkout Operator/Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Kilbride, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at B&Q (East Kilbride, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Started off with a sales pitch about a product you choose from a small selection. It sounds scary, and I was terrified, but it was really informal and pretty fun. I sold a set of three chopping boards, and took the opportunity to talk about how it elimates cross contamination between meat, seafood and vegetables. I also spoke about how it was lightweight, yet durable and dishwasher safe, and the three different colours added a bit of pop into any kitchen.

The second stage, I got paired off with a a manager and had to patrol the shop floor, and speak too as many customers as I could, and help them as much as I could. The managers do NOT expect you to be able to answer everything, and they will step in to answer the more specific questions as customer might have. However, I was able to help find the price of an item, and to stack some products into a trolley for some customers.

After that, myself and the five people who were getting interviewed today had to wait for twenty minutes whilst the managers decided who wasn't good enough and was getting sent home, and who got to have a final one on one interview.

I was one of the people who got the one on one interview, and it was the most informal bit of the day. Lots of chatting, jokes, and disgression.

I found out about 6 hours after that that I got the job!

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q (Derby, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I got a call from the HR team where they just held a 20 minute short interview, at the end they told me i was through. I was invited to an interview where we had to sell them a product then had a short 1 to 1 interview. I was ok they didnt ask the questions well and were quote boring.

Replenishment Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belvedere, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at B&Q (Belvedere, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online for the role , then was called for a telephone interview which I passed after that I was invited in store for a 2-1 interview, was told I'd be called next week, a couple of days later I got an email saying I didn't get the role

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at B&Q in April 2017.

Interview

I had to fill in a long on-line form which included quite a few questions with multiple choice answers. When answering these think about what the employer would like you to do rather than yourself. If you passed that then you had a telephone interview which lasted approximately 10 minutes - general questions asking you to give examples of situations, i.e. when you have been under pressure, an example of good customer service. If you pass that then a face to face interview at the store.

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at B&Q (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Very relaxed and informal process where the staff interviewing you really look to find out your skills. You also seem to build up relationships between you and the staff in the short time you are there, taking the pressure out of the interview. Staff are all very friendly and welcoming and are very open to you asking them as many questions as they ask you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no real negotiation with the salary due to the role, however there were a few days between the interview and conformation to decide if it is right for you!