Benefitfocus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC) in August 2016.

Interview

Interviews with multiple levels of management across the organization, including Sales, Professional Services and Customer Support Management. Each step in the interview process was scheduled quickly so that the entire process from start to finish took less than 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Previous sales success selling enterprise cloud solutions to Fortune 500 companies.   Answer Question

Benefitfocus Response

Aug 18, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for this feedback and welcome to the team!

Sales Leadership Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Benefitfocus.

Interview

I had several issues trying to nail down a time to speak to the flakey internal recruiter on multiple occasions. After three interviews with different sales leaders (over the course of two months) I thought I'd be getting an offer soon. Flakey recruiter took another three weeks to get back to me to say they were going another direction.

Interview Questions

• What position are you interviewing for? Your background doesn't really fit the profile of our typical (ADP) sales experience. Why do you think you would be a good fit?   1 Answer

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC) in April 2018.

Interview

Long process, I had four interviews on the phone. You have to keep on top of the opportunity with the recruiter they will only email or call you back if you reach out to them first. I had multiple interviews but it did not seem like a coordinated process and was on the verge of unprofessional. For a publicly traded company they need to train their hiring managers to alleviate EEOC risks.

Proposal Writer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefitfocus.

Interview

Zero Follow Through from Recruiter

The recruiter reached out to me via email after I submitted my resume online. I let the recruiter know what days I was available and I didn't hear anything back from them.

I reached out about a week later to ask if they were still interested in doing an interview. They replied that they were, they just didn't have availability during the initial times I had given.

They suggested a new day and I said that would work for me. The recruiter never set a time, so the day before the interview was supposed to happen, I suggested a time and asked them to respond.

The interview was supposed to happen sometime today and as of 4:30 PM I have heard nothing from the recruiter.

I'm disappointed because this company seemed like it might be a good fit for me based on the research I conducted. I guess I will never know.

Interview Questions

• When are you available for an interview?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online & was contacted by a recruiter quickly. We had a phone interview & then multiple phone interviews. It was stressed repeatedly that it was very important that there be a harmonious fit between the proposal writer and the sales and tech team(s) so the interviews were with several groups.
    The job sounded fun despite a substantial drop in salary.

I was flown to SC and my individual interviews continued to rock. I thought it was going to be a great fit. Then the group interview began and it was a nightmare. Some general questions were asked that were perfectly normal, though I felt as though many were posed in a way that felt like set up to sound negative. For example, I was asked about the worst things about my previous corporate experiences and what I would do if I found myself in the situation again (I'd quit).

Then in the "let's get to know you with some harmless chitchat" questions came the worst ones of all. See the Interview Questions for examples. But I knew it was the end when I was asked "CNN or Fox News." Wow. I don't think it gets more illegally painful than that. Nice situation for me - answer and alienate a bunch of people or don't answer and alienate them all.

I replied that I didn't think it would be wise for me to answer that and she REPEATED the question. I turned 10 shades of red and said again, while squirming that I wasn't sure we should go there. Finally the manager said "maybe that's too political" after I was obviously not going to play their game. But let's face it, damage was done. Not only were wholly irrelevant questions asked but I looked terrible for not answering them. We sure covered lots of things that had absolutely nothing to do with my abilities but gave a great picture of my personal life, habits, interests, affiliations, etc. Lots of ways to judge me.

What a surprise that after a notice came of a delay in one of my flights back that the recruiter came down and told me they rebooked me on a flight that was 4 hours earlier. Huh. My tour of the campus strangely canceled. I was then quickly taken to the hotel where I was given 4 minutes to get my suitcase and throw it into the car, no time to change.

On the way to the airport, the hiring manager was very sweet and continued to tell me about the job as if I still had a chance. I relaxed and we chatted. At the airport, her parting words were to tell me again how important cultural fit was and that it had to be a unanimous Yes vote to get a job offer. And that was that.

The trip home was awful. I was booked into a middle seat in the discounted rows in the back of the plane (which had not been done to me on the way in) which caused my leg to swell so badly that I had to take a later connecting flight to wait for the swelling to go down and pay out of pocket for a seat I could fit my limbs into.

But the final insult was that after arriving home at nearly 2 am on Tuesday, I did not receive a single communication from the company for 9 days...despite 2 follow up phone calls. Apparently the recruiter went on vacation the day after my interview and not only did not bother to have a colleague follow up, but felt this was not information worth giving me. So after spending over 30 hours of my time on this company, I could not even get the courtesy of a "no thank you" for over a week.

It was beyond unprofessional. I already had significant hesitations about wanting to work there after the group interview (even before that given the terrible salary) but by Day Four of radio silence, my feeling was that if this company was so insensitive to people, then their demand for a culture fit made me wonder what the real culture was. I've been encouraged to pursue all of these horribly offensive and questionable interview questions.

If you read this, BenefitFocus, you owe me an apology if not reimbursement.

Interview Questions

• What did you hate about your prior corporate job(s)?
      If you encountered the situation again, what would you do?   1 Answer
    • Star Wars or Star Trek?   1 Answer
    • Hugh Jackman or Hugh Laurie?   1 Answer
    • CNN or Fox News?
      Yes, I'm serious. They actually asked me this. And when I declined to answer, she asked again.   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you had multiple work projects due at the same time?   Answer Question
    • How would you learn about our product line?   Answer Question
    • This job will likely require a lot of extra hours to get projects completed sometimes at the last minute. How do you feel about that?   Answer Question
    • Game of Thrones or <Name of some other ridiculous show I'd never heard of>?   1 Answer
    • Apple or PC?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Remote, OR) in February 2018.

Interview

HR reached out to me a day or so after I submitted my online application. They then informed me a couple minutes past when our initial screening/phone call was to occur to via email that they needed to reschedule (I had moved commitments around to be able to speak to her that morning).

I decided to give the company the benefit of the doubt anyway, as I understand sometimes things sometimes come up. I sent her back a new date that would work for me, and she responded with an affirmative for that date, but no time. I suggested a time, and she just never responds.

This is the most unprofessional process I have ever been through with a company, bit of a red flag for future considerations.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Remote, OR) in December 2017.

Interview

Strung along is the best way to describe the experience with this company.

After spending countless hours on the phone and email with the HR, employees and the hiring executive, and each case being led to believe everything was headed in the right path, it came to an abrupt and cold end. Was expecting a final call to prepare for an on-site visit, but after their HR went silent figured something was amiss. Finally after much follow-up received a call back with an explanation of “timing”. What? guess that was a good way to put it after all since it was a big waste of time for everyone involved. Sources tell me they had made an offer to another candidate and were only stringing me along in case they didn’t close on that candidate. Was noted also things are a bit clique-ish right now and that might have played a part, and it may have been for the better. My general sense is that I might have been over qualified for the role and viewed as threat to assume someone else’s role. Just speculating after playing back some of the dialogue.

Time is fleeting and too valuable for anyone in business today. This company needs to re-evaluate their candidate interview and hiring practices to stop wasting time and money on lengthy dialogues and conversations leading to no end. I can only imagine the drain it’s having on their own employees. The Employees I did come in contact with were cordial and professional.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. No canned or retreaded interview questions thank goodness. More industry and related experience questions, dialogue. flow drove conversation.   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC) in October 2017.

Interview

slow, very very slow. from the date i applied to the date i received an offer letter, it was around 4-5 weeks. if applying, i would count on one week or more until you hear after each interview

Interview Questions

• How do you stand out in a team?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefitfocus.

Interview

Phone screening with HR recruiter and then in-person interview with varying levels of management. Three in one interview in a conference room with a tour of the office. Followed by offer made from company.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2017.

Interview

I went in for a face to face interview, and interviewed by a team member as I was asked the typical interview questions and would answer, you could totally tell the she was not paying attention and was doing some emails. She then proceeded to say "SHE WAS HIRED TO GROW THIS NEW TEAM IN UTAH" which was also BS. Then proceeded to tell me, the portfolio she took over was ran poorly by another CSM and how great she is at learning so quickly. This is a company I knew I did not want to work for and neither should you. This company has been around for over 15 years, but they still act like they are a start up company. No processes in place, they have no idea what they are doing. When I would ask the Regional Director questions, she did not know the answers.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about BenefitFocus, when was your integrity threatened and how did you handle it, tell me a time when an employer lost complete trust in you and your company.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC).

Interview

Initial phone screen with on-site recruiter, then phone interview with hiring manager, then on-site interview with hiring mgr + boss, then secondary interview presenting a general corporate overview. The overall process was quite efficient!