Benefitfocus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2018

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC) in August 2016.

Interview

Interviews with multiple levels of management across the organization, including Sales, Professional Services and Customer Support Management. Each step in the interview process was scheduled quickly so that the entire process from start to finish took less than 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Previous sales success selling enterprise cloud solutions to Fortune 500 companies.   Answer Question

Benefitfocus Response

Aug 18, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for this feedback and welcome to the team!

Configuration Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Daniel Island, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Daniel Island, SC).

Interview

I had three interviews: one over the phone with HR, once with my hiring manager and a hiring manager from another team (she previously worked at the company I was leaving), then another with the hiring manager and the Director of the team I was a member of. Basically, you need to act professional, bring a few resumes, a pad of paper and pen to jot notes on, and remember to ask questions that will help you decide if it is the right job for you.

Interview Questions

• The interview is normal. Look up videos on Youtube or remember what you learned in school and you will be fine! They asked me about my resume, related experience, what I knew about the position and company, and what I like to do in my free time.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I first asked for 20K more than I was offered, but this request was denied. I asked for a couple thousand more than I was initially offered, and they agreed to this salary which was awesome!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Don't waste your time interviewing here, you are better than this.

I am originally from the Charleston area, but moved away after college due to lack of software development opportunities. I noticed this company was in Charleston and seemed promising so I applied online.

The process began with the typical interview. A phone interview with HR inquiring my current salary, my expectations, my expected benefits, my current roles and responsibilities, and finally my experience. I stated that I was wanting relocation assistance, but was negotiable based on salary requirements. The HR interviewer seemed a bit over zealous trying to sell Charleston to me (stating that they don't typically have to provide anyone relocation assistance to get them to Charleston). I explained to her I was originally from Charleston and it didn't have a "wow" factor as I know what it has to offer, and more importantly what it doesn't. She then proceeded to try and excite me about their "amazing" benefits. These however fell far short compared to my current benefits and perks. Finally there was talk about "growth" and the company size (drastically smaller than my current employer). After these points I had my reservations due to benefits, relocation, size/stability, and even concerns about salary, but I decided to give it a shot.

We proceeded to a phone interview with the hiring manager and a tech lead. The interview was scheduled during my lunch as I work a tight schedule and can't afford to give up work hours to interview for a chance at a new job. What I didn't notice however, was that I was expected to call into their bridge, and they were not calling me (First time in 20-30 interviews I've been asked to do this). I decided to work from home this day and simply take the interview during my lunch as it was not expected to last more than 30 minutes.

Unfortunately that day I received a last minute meeting invite from my major listed as "urgent and mandatory". This ended up being a group reorganization that didn't really matter, but ended up backing right up to my interview. I finished my call and waited. After about 5 minutes of waiting I checked my email for the details, and realized I was supposed to call them. I called into the bridge and was about 7 minutes late. Immediately I was greeted by the hiring manager with the statement "Hello, what time is it there?", which I answered and was then asked "What time was this meeting scheduled for?". Obviously we were both aware I called into the meeting late. I contemplated hanging up at this point because I found this to be quite rude. Instead I decided to explain my reason (which appeared to be ignored). At this point the rest of the interview was uncomfortable. I was asking the typical java interview questions which were easy and really expected. I wasn't asked anything unique or unusual, which I found disappointing. I found they would rather have me list off answers to questions everyone should already know, instead of being asked to think. About half way through this interview they seemed to be breaking up. I've never had this issue before with my phone, carrier, or location, so I believe it must have been on their end. You could start to sense the frustration in the interviewers voice, and he finally said they would go ahead and end the interview there. I was told they would contact me if they thought I was a good fit. Within a few hours I received the automated email stating they were going to pass. (Could really care less).

The process started with hopeful excitement and ended in a rude and unprofessional experience. The interview simply confirmed all the negative reviews I've read up to this point, and after this experience I can tell you to heed the warnings you read. After such behavior from the hiring manager I would expect this to dictate the work environment. So I'm glad this happened before I was potentially stuck with him as my manager.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC) in July 2009.

Interview

Presented via a recruiter; phone interview was around 45 minutes, with 15 explaining company initiatives, background, etc and the remaining time a tech interview. Arrived in charleston for the in person a week later, was treated to lunch then a battery of 'thought process' questions and technical questions from 2 different groups. It was not the most difficult ive ever been thru but it was definately in the top 3. Questions ranged from direct technical OOP oriented questions to diagraming fictional OS's and converting the card game WAR to a rules engine (how would you do it, what would you do, here are the givens, etc).

I read some negative reviews on here before i interviewed and i definately had my guard up but i cant say i got a bad vibe. the position i was interviewing for was a sr level and above the 'grunt' level some of the other reviews had been critical of so i cant speak to that aspect of it. from my perspective, it seemed like a great place to work with some very smart and talented people. I regret it didnt work out as planned; i found charleston to be a very nice city with some fantastic beaches. the corporate headquarters is on daniel island- which was also a very nice location.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you would design the OS for a vending machine. The givens are the hardware has a key pad and the items are arranged in a grid pattern.   Answer Question

Family obligations and relocation assistance was not what i expected.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

When emailed about scheduling a phone interview, I responded that I could do any day of the week but asked for an early morning call. I was then scheduled for a 10am call, which I don't really consider early morning, so asked if it would be possible to do earlier, but never heard back. I then rearranged my current work schedule so I could make the 10am call.

At 10:10am the morning of the call, I still hadn't heard anything, so I emailed the woman and asked if the call was still happening. At 10:15am I got an email that she had been stuck in a meeting and asked if we could reschedule for that afternoon. Because I couldn't do that with my current work schedule I said that I could do an 8-8:30am call the next morning but instead she called at 10:20am, so we only had ~10 minutes to talk.

She restated the job position word for word (as if I hadn't read it already when applying?) and barely asked me anything about myself but said she would forward my profile on. When I asked of the location of this job position (Daniel Island? downtown Charleston?) she said she didn't know. (How, as a recruiter would you not be able to answer this basic question?) Additionally, the entire time we spoke, she was very difficult to understand and I felt as though she had no idea about the job or company at all.

I don't anticipate hearing anything back because I'm not sure anything was even done with my information, but have no interest in another phone interview given the colossal waste of time the initial one was.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a large initiative you rolled out at your company.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC) in September 2009.

Interview

Right off the bat I was dissatisfied with the way such a "great" company handled themselves. I arrived 10 minutes early, and the interviewers were disturbed by this and made a comment more than once about how I was early. They didn't look past my resume, they were took distracted with my previous experiences to actually get to know the person who would be working for them. Needless to say, I'm very happy I didn't work for them. They didn't allow me to ask any questions, they had no personality, and the entire office atmosphere was awful.

Interview Questions

• My hardest question: Why would you be a good fit for this position? (There was no depth to this at all)   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Charleston, SC) in July 2009.

Interview

I interviewed via phone with a Sales Manager, got invited down to Charleston for a F2F interview. Man, it was 24 hours of my life that I wish I could get back. I was basically interviewed by some guys in a phone booth environment. No, really, this company thinks it's okay to have these little kiosks which you'll find at the local shopping mall for one-on-one discussion. Needless to say, I was in a chamber talking to an ex-restaurant owner and other people who are basically drones of the "president" who has a pilots license. Um, yawn. So what. Couldn't get out of this office environment fast enough and they love their balloons at BenefitFocus. Silly company with silly employee perks---that was my observation. Oh, one other thing...they will at least buy you a wonderful soggy salad for lunch during your time there.

Interview Questions

• What did you not like about your last employer and how can you fit into the mold of BenefitFocus?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very detailed but extremely beneficial. The organization not only wants great employees but a cultural fit as well. I had the opportunity to meet a number of different managers and VP's throughout the process and found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable

Interview Questions

• What can I do to help Benefitfocus achieve their corporate goals and objectives   Answer Question

Negotiation

This phase went very well, they new my expectations and their offer was in-line to what I expected.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Benefitfocus (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

It was simple and painless. The hiring manager was positive and upbeat. The senior leadership had a benevolent tone, not draconian like in so many other places. After my first call I know their approach was different, that they were genuine about their role.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a particular sales cycle in your career. It was an open-ended question that didn't have a right or wrong answer. Other questions covered topics like how do I deal with challenges or a challenging time in my life.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Benefitfocus in February 2016.

Interview

Recruited for the role, spoke with recruiter for screening process (good fit for me, for them), Spoke with my direct manager, met in person with my direct manager, have conversation with Regional Director then Head of Sales, performed presentation for direct manager and head of sales, was offered position