Benefitfocus Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Benefitfocus President and CEO Ray August
Ray August

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This company is so much more than the free coffee and tee shirts often mentioned" (in 47 reviews)

• "Flexibility to work from home when needed, but the office environment is nothing to complain about either" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a little off at times" (in 44 reviews)

• "The business is complex and can require long hours" (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lucky to work here- 2.0 is exciting and true"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership team including the CEO genuinely cares
    Associates thoughts, wants, and needs are respected and recognized
    You get recognized for hard work
    The CEO means it when he says to come to him with ideas and/or concerns

Cons

Processes can change quickly, however it is for the positive improvement- so really not a con

Advice to Management

Thank you for keeping associates as the most important asset to the buisness

Benefitfocus Response

May 18, 2018 – Human Resources

Sounds like you have taken #optin to heart and we appreciate it. We look forward to being on this journey together.

2. "The company cares about associates"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Top notch leaders
    Lots of transparency into what is going on
    We are constantly being asked for feedback to make things better

Cons

A handful of people do most things around here
    Pay

Advice to Management

Keep stressing core values

3. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provided with tools to be successful with an outstanding support network internally. Benefitfocus allows for community feel with current and potential client base by providing us with valuable industry information. On-going training and testing allows us to be students of our craft.

Cons

Visit Colorado more often.

4. "Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Benefitfocus is growing, it's changed a lot just in the few years I've been here. That can be hard and frustrating at times because processes change or things don't happen as quickly as you want, but it's exciting to be a part of it. I see leadership taking steps to grow the business and respond to Associates's needs, and we are heading in a good direction. And my stock shares are up!

Cons

As mentioned there are processes that are not efficient and that change a lot so you have to be flexible

Advice to Management

Keep listening to Associates and Managers. If there are processes that hold things up and that KEEP coming up as a pain point, let's fix it!

"Company concerned with making management jobs easier at the sake of clients and employees"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You’ll work with great people with lots of energy. They do a good job of hiring good people who want to work together and band together to get the work done despite management.

Cons

Management is unconcerned about how their decisions affect employees. They aren’t in touch with what employees jobs are how to make them better. There is no training or help from management on how to do your job. Management believes that by just getting more data to report on it will make the company better and refuse to listen to their employees about what true pinch points are.

Advice to Management

If you create devices and remove obstacles from employee success your employees will be more apt to help the company succeed. Surveys aren’t listening. Change within departments rarely help the workers. Truly ask them what they need and execute on them. You have smart employees that want the company to succeed, their ideas are assets and you should ask for them.

"Concerning changes"

Pros

Great product and excellent opportunities within the marketplace

Cons

Agree with earlier review, this trend of demoting and moving women that are in exec positions is extremely concerning

Advice to Management

Promote/retain more women

"Application Analyst"

Pros

Great company culture that do a lot to keep team motivated

Cons

Open Enrollment can get a little busy but that’s to be expected

"Not A Fit"

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Benefitfocus to contribute to much needed changes in our national healthcare system. Unfortunately, Benefitfocus isn't focused on contributing improving the quality or costs of healthcare-but deriving fees from a needless infrastructure expense-between consumers and the healthcare providers. At best, Benefitfocus will save a few minutes once a year to select benefits for the consumer and HR staff-in the grand scheme, not a C-level business concern.

Cons

Stronger competition-caught up/exceed Benefitfocus IU-product parity.
    Premium priced in a commodity market, lower priced competition.
    Working to repair negative open enrollments experiences.
    Commodity market.
    Less than 2% of the sales reps exceeds quota-no quick successes.
    Long, multi-year sales cycles, influenced by Brokers (pay to play).
    Selling to low level HR/Benefit Administrator-not a C-level sell.
    Sales leadership is exclusively ADP, career order takers.

One reviewer sums up the culture--it's high school drama.

Advice to Management

Note to Readers: Benefitfocus is very insistent on employees submitting Glassdoor reviews.

I look forward to Benefitfocus HR's response.

9. "Executive Assistant"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

You can bring your dog to work! Great atmosphere and benefits.

Cons

The company is so large that sometimes it feels harder to connect with other people.

"“Only the best buds will reach the top”"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Daniel Island, SC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Daniel Island, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Individual work stations, free coffee

Cons

-Poor compensation for workload/expectations
    -only friends...friends of friends have a better opportunity to advance into leadership roles. (No clue as to how they should fulfill their roles, but rather use their title as a way of pushing over those under their direction)
    -lack of respect whenever there’s a difference of opinion
    -CEO & all upper management is far too stuck up one another’s behinds to understand what REALLY goes down in basic day-to-day operations on the front line.
    -unrealistic deadlines & expectations presented to various groups/clients. Often leaving the group/client on the short end of meeting their expectations.
    -MAJOR LACK OF DIVERSITY across the boards (doubt this will ever change)
    -managers can say and do whatever please without being held accountable....but yet this is a Benefitfocus value that’s plastered on everything across the company...YEAH RIGHT.
    -too many surveys and not enough actions behind the feedback/voices of the employees.
    -internal affairs amongst upper management....hence why they promote so quickly. (Rule of thumb, stop addressing personal affairs with one another via Skype/outlook...never know what may pop up on your screen during a group meeting/presentation....let that sink in)

Advice to Management

Revamp the entire managerial staff. Reconsider the metrics of what Shawn Jenkins had in mind when the company first rolled out. Lose the buddy system and promote on true qualified/experienced candidates. Tell Ray and his buds to step down from their “high horse” and get to know his company from the front line on up. To this degree, he would have a FULL understanding of what’s working and what’s not. Shawn was always humble enough walk the aisles of his associates, take a moment to get to know his associates, and fully understand the metrics of day-to-day operations. RESPECT one another, and truly live by that value. I have made the best decision to part ways with this circus of a company, and I pray that things turn around for the better in the years to come for those who have no other choice but to stay and ride the waves of uncertainty.