Benefitfocus Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Benefitfocus Founder & CEO Shawn A. Jenkins
Shawn A. Jenkins

Pros
  • You can work from home a few days a month (in 20 reviews)

• This company is so much more than the free coffee and tee shirts often mentioned (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The level of expectations and work/life balance flexibility are fair (in 34 reviews)

• Those same "cultural" pluses are there to make one feel better about putting in long hours (in 39 reviews)

1. "Consistent Culture = Consistent Focus = Consistent Results"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

I am fairly new here at Benefitfocus, but one thing has become very clear to me. The culture here is not only world class, it is consistent and focused on results. It's one thing to work for a company that has a world class solution, which Beneftifocus does, but something entirely different to have the entire community BELIEVE it. Very refreshing, very exciting. Great times ahead for sure.

Cons

They take security VERY seriously. I get the reasons why, but it is an adjustment.

Advice to Management

Keep revisiting the goals and focus areas shared at kick off

Feb 20, 2017 – Manager of Community and Culture

Thanks for your review and your thoughts about our culture. Each of our associates makes the culture, which makes it unique and special.

2. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros outweigh the cons. Great future opportunities for everyone. Benefits are very competitive. Great culture.

Cons

Company is still transitioning from a start up. Implementing new processes/frameworks are challenging at times.

Feb 17, 2017 – Manager of Community and Culture

We appreciate your review!

3. "Great environment"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture is great, visionary leadership who communicate very well, leadership is driven for excellence; employees have the ability to do what they do best

Cons

typical challenges associated with growth

5. "The longest I have ever stayed with one company, for good reason"

Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Daniel Island, SC
    Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Daniel Island, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros outweigh the cons by a longshot. They have shed some old habits that just weren't scalable. Comfortable environment, good culture. Great future opportunities for associates, stock price is destined for great things. Good perks, love enjoying a beer with teammates on Friday afternoons. I love the Wellness program here and hope it grows even more. Have streamlined some management structures recently that were holding them back. I am effectively in my third role here and plan on sticking around another 4 years at least. Tons of lunch options made easily accessible. Great wellness culture.

Cons

Open floor plan. Parking is a bit crowded. Some associates are having trouble adjusting to restructuring and need to focus on improving themselves and on their teamwork. I had to turn in my Mac for a .... PC.

Advice to Management

Support Jim and Kevin in making OE a non-event because that will serve EVERYONE. Associates will get stressed and some may need to work long hours- encourage the family feel in actions as well as words and support the reduction of stress levels/well being of associates through Community and Culture.

Feb 17, 2017 – Manager of Community and Culture

Thanks for sharing your review and feedback!

6. "Benefitfocus is a very welcoming, team-focused and strategic Company- So happy I've joined!"

Current Employee - Director in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Benefitfocus two months ago, and happily it's been non-stop since I've started. Every single person I've met so far has been welcoming, bend over backwards helpful, and the attitude every day is what can we do together to make our products and company better. The leadership and associates I'm working with have all been highly strategic subject matter experts that also possess the patience of getting a new person on board. The culture is one of pulling together to create great things and a very friendly atmosphere.

The company is committed to its people which includes great benefits, perks and fun activities, but also a clear vision and plan for its postive financial future.

I am thrilled to have joined and can't wait for what exciting things are to come!

Cons

Always room to improve processes!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great, hard work

Feb 17, 2017 – Manager of Community and Culture

Thanks for sharing your review - and welcome!

7. "Good company adjusting for their growth focused on clients and investing for the future"

Current Employee - Director in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely customer focused organization and leaders. Great teaming amongst associates who really work to help each other out. There is definitely a "can do" culture. Focus is on investment for future success versus just short team profits. Young employee base who are very eager to take on broader roles and make a difference.

Cons

Growth has outpaced some of the operational processes but good efforts and initiatives are underway to improve, but some of the challenges had meant some long hours for more experienced associates. Some strong individual contributors have taken on positions where they are now finding it challenging to drive the changes needed given limited experience and exposure, but in response we are seeing more mid level and higher level leaders be hired from the outside to help bring in additional experiences and help shape things for the future.

Advice to Management

Drive visibility of future plans across the organization to gain buy in and additional trust.

Feb 13, 2017 – Manager of Community and Culture

We appreciate your review.

8. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility is key for me, I have the ability to work from home which I feel allows me to be more productive, I have support from every level of leadership (all the way to Shawn our CEO), and they just want you to win. The compensation plan is tiered and a very livable salary plus aggressive commission if you hit your metrics.

Cons

We grew very quickly and there were growing pains that came along with that. Service has caught up drastically and we are through the other side of that barrier today I feel.

Advice to Management

keep investing, keep innovating, and keep putting customers first and we will not be stopped.

Feb 13, 2017 – Manager of Community and Culture

Thanks for sharing your review.

9. "BNFT is great company at a unique time in its history"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

- Culture
    - People
    - Opportunity to work on a product that solves a problem that really matters - people really need help choosing their benefits, and the benefits teams' of their employers need help creating the right benefit strategies.
    - Work is challenging and largely rewarding
    - Management team cares and makes an effort to do what is right each day
    - Environment is engaging, beautiful and thoughtfully designed (their are no basement cubicles with no windows)
    - Great perks with coffee, snacks, vegetables,...
    - Management is flexible if you get the work done can make time for other aspects of life
    - Opportunity to be a part of a company in rarefied air in the software space - very small number of SaaS companies have gone public and generated the annual revenue of BNFT.
    - Company is profitable - and is at a really unique time in its history. Very few software companies offer the current opportunity that BNFT offers.

Cons

- Communication throughout the organization - up/down/sideways is inefficient
    - Pressures that come with growth (note this is a bit of a champagne problem - would trade any day over the opposite of contraction)
    - Focus and priority - tons of good ideas, but don't do a great job of focusing in on the most important things and cutting out the noise

Advice to Management

Listen, be truthful, and take focused meaningful actions

Feb 9, 2017 – Manager of Community and Culture

Thanks for sharing your review!

10. "Entry level temp to account consultant"

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Amazing people that work hard.

Cons

Low pay, the company is growing so it's a bit of "learn as you go"

Advice to Management

slow down and listen

11. "Excellent company to work"

Current Employee - Global Program Manager
    Current Employee - Global Program Manager

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great learning opportunities
    2. Challenging Job as need to handle multiple customers at same time
    3. Great people. Everyone is ready to help each other. Its a big family rather than a team.
    4. Flexible timing
    5. Office setup, free food, drinks etc.

Cons

Due to seasonal business workload is not balance throughout year and it is more on year end

Advice to Management

Should Re-org to align their business with client needs. Currently CSO and Engineering team are working with different goals.

Feb 8, 2017 – Manager of Community and Culture

Thanks for sharing your review!