Benefitfocus Reviews | Glassdoor

Benefitfocus Founder & CEO Shawn A. Jenkins
Shawn A. Jenkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Rapid growth can occasionally put some stress on work/life balance (in 40 reviews)

• The business is complex and can require long hours (in 42 reviews)

"People Company!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For them, you are the first priority and followed by their customers. They understand your pain, requirements, skills and support you at every step of your journey at BF. One of the great leader at BF is Scott Frost, he goes out of his way and supports other departments to the core.

Cons

I am living in this company as a family member, too much love :)

Advice to Management

Please continue the same culture...

Sep 19, 2017 – Human Resources

We are happy to hear you understand our commitment to our associates. Thank you for sharing.

"A Company Led By Leaders With Values"

Current Employee - Associate in Daniel Island, SC
    Current Employee - Associate in Daniel Island, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This year, we have seen the ravages of hurricane Harvey and now as I sit here writing this I hear the winds of Irma approaching and am reflecting upon the last two weeks. As the rains of Harvey were soaking Texas, I saw Benefitfocus mobilizing to reach out to all employees and customers and find out how they were fairing and offering to help. I even heard of a donation made to help those affected by the storm.

Meanwhile, the company was been working diligently preparing for what Irma might bring. Communicating continuously and engaging with Associates throughout the company to make arrangements so that the company both keeps running and looks after the safety and well being of associates. Moving folks to safety, providing food and lodging. There are more stories than I can recount about genuine caring for each other. I was amazed to see how amidst plans the company was able to mix both looking for those on vacation and honeymoons while releasing a large, feature rich code release.

In short, Benefitfocus is an amazing place with amazing people and culture.

Cons

I can't think of any at this time.

Advice to Management

Tell your story so that other companies know what a truly great company is like.

Sep 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for recognizing the hard work done by associates and leaders to live our values every day. Providing anticipatory service and standing together to work through challenges was demonstrated... More

"Great to place to work"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is a huge pro of why Benefitfocus is a great place to work. I've had the privileged of serving in many roles during my time and the one consistent thing is the helpfulness of my fellow associates. Everyone has a high level of respect for each other and goes out of their way when help is needed

Cons

Can't think of anything at this time

Sep 18, 2017 – Human Resources

Our culture lives with our associates. We see this support and camaraderie every day and truly believe we have the best associates. Thank you for sharing your view. In addition, thank you for your... More

4. "Great culture, Great Environment, Great People!"

Current Employee - Applications Consultant
    Current Employee - Applications Consultant

Pros

I recently took the training class for Applications Consultants to help cover the Open Enrollment period at Benefitfocus, with potential for being hired long-term.

The trainers were knowledgeable and talented at explaining the ins and outs of the software platform, as well as discerning whether students were grasping the material. They made class fun and positive. Other call-center team members stopped in regularly to check in, making the entry-level people feel wanted and welcome.

The culture is amazing, with lots of fun perks such as a dog-friendly workplace with golf carts and bikes to get you around, as well as refreshments and celebrations.

Daniel Island is a beautiful place to be.

All in all, I'd recommend this company to anyone who wants to build a great career.

Cons

Possible monotony and stress as on any call center.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Watching People on Campus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I move around the large Benefitfocus campus on Daniel Island in Charleston several times a day. I am most impressed as I watch people meeting on the patios, having lunch at one of the food trucks or just walking and talking together on the nature trails. They are all smiles and fun loving. The non-verbal communication is always positive - eye contact, sincere communication in passing. I don't see negative interaction. I'm a realist and I have seen negative cultures with the attitudes, disengagement and bad talking management and fellow workers. This is a great place to be and to work!

Cons

At times things get intense but because of the culture everyone seems to everyone else's back.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward hard working associates. Walk around and notice the ones who do not require intense management but get the work done!

"Learn and be challenged every day"

Current Employee - Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you love to learn and be challenged you will do well here. We are blazing new trails in every aspect of our business - services, platform, products, knowledge management, training, communications, security - and a whole lot more. We just went through our 2nd year of invoking an incredibly organized Business Continuity Plan (last year was Hurricane Matthew and now Irma). The orchestration and communications coming out of the entire team were amazing. The personal commitment from our leaders to help out if needed was very cool and I know it was sincere. The work here can be tough - it's a tough industry we serve - and the expectations are high. As they should be. Shawn, Ray and the entire leadership team are extremely supported - it is obvious they care. Our middle managers and associates equally care. We are extremely busy, yes, but our hearts are in the right place. We have many new associates that have joined the company this year and it's exciting to see our culture continue to expand.

Cons

Like anywhere, there are some downsides. You need to be a self-starter and comfortable guiding your future. Our Leaders are stretched very thin and it is difficult to get quality time with them at times. We have so many meetings, events, etc. It is unbelievable how many meetings we have for a company our size. Some are helpful as they are training and learning opportunities - others not so much. Part of this is positioning us for growth but think there is some room to trim in this area. You still need to move to Charleston to work effectively here. While we have other offices and remote employees - it's a struggle still for some of our remote people. Management knows this is a concern and is working to improve. We have many many projects, programs, initiatives underway. This is critical to get where we need to be, but sometimes causes confusion on priorities.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and following through on the things you are already doing. Stay the course and be careful of launching too many new things before we've satisfied what's in the hopper. Thank you for truly caring for us - it shows!

Sep 13, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your honest assessment. We appreciate the feedback.

"Enjoying working for Benefitfocus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual collaborative work environment
    Team members working proactively to offer the best to clients and the company
    Great pride in the brand and name recognition
    Leadership is direct, clear and transparent
    Team members build partnership

Cons

Nothing so far - great decision to come here. Highly recommend it.

Advice to Management

Continue placing associates first; clients and Benefitfocus will continue to thrive.

Sep 6, 2017 – Human Resources

We believe in our associates and your review of their partnership and dedication is no surprise. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

"This is a great place to spend a career"

Current Employee - Manager in Daniel Island, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Daniel Island, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our leaders care about associates. It is not uncommon to see leaders walking around and talking to people they do not know. People appear to be friendly here because they really care. Caring for customers and caring for associates - these are the qualities I am most proud to see here.

Cons

This is not a place for those that want to work where everything is already all figured out.

Advice to Management

Share the salary band information to go with the new job maps.

Sep 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Welcome to the team and thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are glad to hear associates are aware of the job maps and we look forward to continuing this conversation.

"Good place to be"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

excellent resources always available to execute effectively, great senior leadership support, clear vision on where we need to make changes and how to drive those changes, new tools in place to scale for growth

Cons

fast growth has led to some operational challenges

Sep 18, 2017 – Human Resources

Leadership has been working hard to share the vision around our world-class journey in ongoing Q&A sessions. It is great to know the sessions are making an impact. We recognize our challenges as a... More

"Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Benefitfocus for over 7 years in various roles, including management. I began my career in an entry level position answering phones and through hard work, I've worked my way into a position that I thoroughly enjoy. I've seen many restructures as the company has experienced rapid growth and each one has improved the work environment and work life balance for me personally as well as others. You will do well at Benefitfocus if you have a mature and realistic work ethic and don't fall into a crowd that is never pleased, complains, and is always negative. Years of experience and showing up to work on time don't make you a candidate for promotion, nor should it. I can also very honestly say (through several experiences) that being "friends" with your manager doesn't make you any more likely to get a promotion than anyone else who has worked hard for that role. It's a common misconception that becoming a manager means you've "made it". Not everyone is meant to be a leader and that's ok! Some are great at issue resolution, support, project and relationship management. There are finally clear career paths to help you determine which route is best for you and a good manager will help you identify and stay on that path. Benefitfocus leadership values non-management support just as much as their strongest managers. Without strong support, managers cannot manage their people so they really do value and recognize the non-management roles as being critical to our success.
    Leadership is also very invested in making sure they are being transparent. Weekly staff meetings include cascade items from leadership meetings. We also have weekly Q&A sessions with executive leadership where nothing is off limits. Our President takes an hour of his week to stand in a room and answer tough questions. Then, he spends time personally answering emails that come in after the sessions. That combined with the quarterly town hall sessions following our earnings calls is really more than enough transparency for me. For training, there are so many resources now that I cannot always keep up, but at least I know the answer and knowledge is available to me in several different forms.

Cons

This isn't a balanced review without some cons. I do feel sometimes that our managers are overworked. I've been lucky enough to have a manager who is always available, but I do know that they have a lot on their plates when combining administrative duties, people management, forecasting, financial management and escalations.

Sep 7, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for 7+ years of service. Your comprehensive review is very helpful and we appreciate your opinions on career paths, leadership, and manager workload.