Benefitfocus Reviews | Glassdoor

Benefitfocus President and CEO Ray August
Ray August
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home when needed, but the office environment is nothing to complain about either (in 21 reviews)

• This company is so much more than the free coffee and tee shirts often mentioned (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be tough at times but many improvements are underway to address this (in 41 reviews)

• The business is complex and can require long hours (in 43 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting future ahead!"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of awesome opportunities to grow with the company as it expands in the market. The company is building a great foundation to support it's employees and invests in the tools they need to be successful.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

The Q&A sessions are really helpful and make people feel part of the company.

Nov 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for participating in the Q&A sessions and sharing a review.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is very transparent, great working atmosphere (Starbucks coffee, walking paths, bikes, Whole Foods weekly fruit and veggie deliveries, can bring dog to work and very nice Mother's Rooms), always challenged, focus on improving processes, security is a top priority and management is always open to associate feedback.

Cons

Working with offshore associates can inherently pose certain challenges. It can be difficult at times to identify the decision makers for new processes. Documentation needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a survey that strictly asks clients to rate their CSM, separate from any feedback on the software. A client can be frustrated with performance but still feel as if their CSM is providing them an optimal level of support. There is such transparency with the CSO on case resolution times, let's implore the same reporting and goal setting to engineering.

Nov 29, 2017 – Human Resources

The perks are definitely popular among associates. It is great to hear you see leadership's focus on processes and security as well. Thank you for the feedback regarding offshore associates and... More

"Benefitstore"

Former Employee - Benefitstore in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Benefitstore in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with
    Laid back dress code

Cons

Management in the Benefitstore was terrible. The leaders provide no training and no transparency. Your manager will put one on one weekly meetings with you on the calendar but either never show up, or show up late, or be on her phone the entire time.
    Benefitstore sells voluntary benefits to employers, but they offer 0 training. They hire associates who have never had sales experience yet expect them to know what to do right off the bat.
    You never know at any point if you are doing a good job or not because management is too cowardly to provide honest feedback.
    Management also participate in team outings, drinking far too much and becoming extremely inappropriate with their team members. Traveling to see a client on-site is a joke and I believe the primary reason is to get out of the office and get drunk with coworkers.
    The commission structure is a joke. Commission checks for less than 20$ is unfortunately the norm.
    Benefitstore expects you to work 80 hours a week, when there isnt even 40 hours of work to be done, for a 40,000$ salary and 12$ commission checks every quarter.

Advice to Management

Put yourself in your employees shoes. Your associates actually DO want to do a good job and want to be given a real chance to do well. Armour your team with the necessary skills and training to do well.
    Don't make degrading comments about one of your team members to another - it will always get back to them.
    Don't be inappropriate with your team - it will always go around and no one will ever respect you.
    Actually BE a manager and provide constructive criticism and feedback if your associate is not performing up to par.

Jan 16, 2018 – Human Resources

Our fellow associates are definitely one of the best aspects of Benefitfocus. We are glad you enjoyed the people you worked with and the casual atmosphere. Your description of your manager and... More

"Potential to improve the environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees do have a lot of impact on the culture. Most are hardworking people who do their best with the tools provided for them.

Cons

Lack of communication. Routine communicates between the team leads and the agents would create a better environment. The lack of communication can be easily resolved with the tools provided in the company but there's a lot of 'hush hush' on things that shouldn't be hush about. Providing awareness for the agents to know what their position is in the company and how they can accomplish their tasks, as well as who they can reach out to for assistance would be valuable. Many times, teams stay among themselves which doesn't make for a productive environment since some employees across the company are trained to assist on multiple clients from various teams but have a hard time getting the help they need. Some when reaching out for assistance feel that their questions or concerns are not taken seriously.

Hard to know who to reach out to if there's concern in the company or questions.

Advice to Management

Please have the team leads share their information with each other. Often time, what one team lead knows, the other was not aware of due to lack of communication.

Monthly meetings for 15 minutes among the team and their team lead can assist in noticing trends or to share concerns with updates on information.

North Campus could use a redecorating. The environment inside is gloomy. The water fountain tastes like dirt. The coffee machine can go days with signs stating the filter has to be changed. A brighter environment can help improve the mood for the employees.

Lots of good employees come into the company, many though do not want to stay since their needs are not met. Multiple focus groups would be advised to identify the feeling in the company of the employees and to identify possible trends of improvement.

Dec 27, 2017 – Human Resources

Our hardworking associates are among our greatest assets and it's great to know you see these people as well. Cross-functional communication and more focus groups with associates are good ideas... More

"I'm not drinking the water"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can bring your dog to work, free coffee and soda, a lot of lunches provided during OE

Cons

No career growth, no commitment to employees, everything is done for the betterment of the client and getting more money for BF, managers are too busy to teach or coach you to be better, "merit increases" are not even enough for cost of living, do not utilize great talent to their potential

Advice to Management

Overall everyone in CSC is overworked and undervalued, take more time to listen and react to employees, you will never have happy clients without fulfilled and satisfied employees

Nov 10, 2017 – Human Resources

We are committed to our associates and disappointed the message is not clear. We appreciate this insight.

"Management, please start caring about the people under you"

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Campus is great. They have really put a lot of money into the buildings.

Cons

There is so much wrong with this company. Read the real reviews (not the ones that management has put up or told people to put up- and I know that this happens because I was told by my manager to put good things on here). These are actually the issues, but most of management is too self-righteous to admit fault.

Advice to Management

I saw a review on here that gave BF 5 stars and said that they did not understand why people complained about BF and said that it's baggage that those employees bring along with them. This is a common thought process of management. Management is so detached and so disengaged, that they don't realize they are creating a negative work environment. They pat each other on the back for accomplishments that really are failures and point fingers at everyone but themselves when they do something wrong.

If management really wants to know what's wrong at BF they need to look in the mirror. Don't point the finger at your subordinates when they bring a concern to you because it's most likely a common issue.

Take a look at the back of the badge and remember what those words mean!

"Boys Club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Some of the people who work there are wonderful and will be life-long friends. Free snacks and beer can be fun.

Cons

Like a lot of other people have said, the compensation was in no way appropriate for the living costs in Charleston. Like most companies in the area they are behind the times pay-wise. But don't worry because according to the CEO he "never has to work another day in his life."

My biggest issue was working with a VP that was hired while I was an employee. I honestly never thought I'd encounter a sexist like him. He only gives credit to the male employees he oversees and loves to promote them. He is known for throwing his female colleagues under the bus in an effort to push them out. Many people who he has pushed out have complained to HR but nothing has been done. The higher-ups love him and that is all that seems to matter. This VP has zero respect for the people below him and speaks to them that way. When he was brought on the environment changed and ruined what was a great place to work.

Benefitfocus is also very unfocused and it can feel very chaotic. The way to move up is blurry and usually is more about being friends with certain people than your quality of work.

Advice to Management

It has been said time and time again, listen to your employees. This company can be very clicky, especially HR. Look outside your friend group and realize there might be some genuine people with genuine complaints about someone.

Nov 21, 2017 – Human Resources

I am concerned about the experiences shared here as they are not our intentions. I assure you HR takes your perspective seriously and I encourage you to contact me for further discussion.

Amanda... More

8. "Senior Manager"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Excellent culture, great leadership and vision and amazing people to work with

Cons

No cons at this time

Nov 21, 2017 – Human Resources

We are happy to hear you are enjoying your time at Benefitfocus. Thank you for sharing.

9. "Good Place To Work"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

I don't get the bad reviews. When a company has provided such a great product to so many satisfied people while providing an amazing place to work among such great people, I can't help but wonder how anyone would not want to work here. The company is excellent, Charleston is amazing, the C-level staff are visionary hard workers with families and dreams. I think some just take the baggage they brought and feel compelled to complain.

Cons

The work is challenging, the people are everyday people who want to succeed but can have bad days.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to our associates and acting on suggests that will work

Nov 21, 2017 – Human Resources

We appreciate you sharing your perspective. Thank you.

"Extremely low pay, politics and favoritism"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

dress code, dress code, dress code

Cons

Upward mobility only if you are in the company cliques. No rewards for your abilities otherwise. Pay is hilarious for a well established publicly traded company. You will not be able to live comfortably and take care of your family. Pay is peanuts!

Advice to Management

Clean house and hire right next time. Pay employees competitive salaries. Staff with 4 year degrees making peanuts! Ridiculous but donating millions to charity rather than retaining employees seems to be more important. Get focused because you can't keep up with this turnover. Wasting money to train new employees who will not stay is just crazy .

Dec 15, 2017 – Human Resources

The dress code is just one aspect of our flexible environment at Benefitfocus. The scheduling, ability to work from home if needed, and working in different areas of the office are all popular with... More