Brightcove Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Brightcove Interview Questions

Interviews at Brightcove

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brightcove (Cambridge, MA) in July 2009.

Interview

Met with 3 people, 2 developers and 1 tester. All friendly people, young vibrant atmosphere. Questions were on algorithms, design patterns and some brain teasers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was totally RUDE....!!!! . I don't want to mention the name of the guy who called me, but he gave me zero respect as a candidate and he was talking as if he has found out the Big Bang all by himself.
    Everyone makes mistakes , this guy didn't even give a chance to make a mistake and he was criticizing me right from the start as if i have not done anything till now. I have worked for couple of clients in my short career and holds a masters degree from a reputed university.

The last thing that he told me that: He asked me whether i have done anything challenging in this world.

A kind suggestion to the people who work and interview candidates : please don't make them look fools. You were once in their situation , looking for job.

Brightcove Response

May 18, 2016

We are sorry to read that you did not have a good experience during your interview process. It is our goal and priority that everyone who interviews with us has a positive experience regardless of the outcome.
    I oversee talent acquisition here at Brightcove and would welcome an opportunity to speak with you and hear your feedback directly. If that's of interest, please reach out to me at recruiting@brightcove.com. Regards, Gayle Maneikis

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2018.

Interview

First, I was contacted by a recruiter who was very friendly and pleasant. After this, she set up an interview with the hiring manager who was also nice to talk to and very informative. The final step was three 2 on 1 interviews with various team members. This was divided into 3 stages (behavioral, coding, and system design). Overall, everything seemed to go great in my opinion and I felt me and the team vibed very well.

Unfortunately though, I was informed a few days later by the recruiter that the team decided they wanted someone more "senior". I thought this was rather strange as while I am not senior, I have several years of industry experience so I would have no issue ramping up quickly. As well, the team had also expressed to me that they were hiring on several people as they had recently lost a number. I think the real reason may have been the fact that they were trying to lowball me a bit on the expected salary and I pushed back to a more acceptable range (which I actually later got an offer even higher than what I suggested from another company).

Overall, I have mixed feelings. I think this could have been a great place to work and everyone I talked to was strong and friendly, but I get the feeling they don't want to pay market rate for good engineers and also need to figure out what they want from the beginning of the process rather than after taking hours of a candidates time. Writing this review so hopefully management can get some feedback. I hold no negative feelings about the process cause I actually enjoyed the interview which was well thought out, but I feel the criticism is definitely needed.

Interview Questions

Brightcove Response

Oct 11, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we always appreciate feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not optimal, this is review is helpful for us. While I don’t know the specific team you were meeting with, I do know that sometimes the direction of the search changes mid-process as things develop internally and we meet the candidates who are in the market. Those changes can result in an inefficient process and I am sorry that this happened for both you and our hiring team. I can assure you that we would not try to lowball you, or any candidate, we want all employees here to feel their value through their work, our culture, and their paychecks.
    Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and giving us the opportunity to explore ways to improve our process. Please keep the door open for Brightcove, I would personally be happy to help you navigate our interview process the next time around.
    -Carrie Walecka

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

3 rounds, phone call, hr and last on site. It was about your resume. Went pretty good and even interviewers were happy. However, good interview experience. The interviewers were friendly. The company office is amazing and impressive.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with HR - standard questions on experience and skill sets, Phone interview with hiring manager - behavioral questions and a deeper dive into my skills, in person interview with hiring manager, director and VP - additional behavioral questions with more emphasis on my skills and experience with additional questions relating to my cultural fit for the organization

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you contributed something new and innovative to a superior?   Answer Question

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in July 2018.

Interview

The Brightcove interview process was pleasant, streamline, and thorough! The overall timeline was just over two weeks with 3 phone interviews and 1 half-day of meetings. The HR department did an excellent job ensuring you were meeting a variety of individuals within the team you’d join, from co-workers to your boss. The interviews were organic and not staged, you could tell everyone was honest about the role and the company. Since a new job has to be a great fit for the company and the individual, HR did an excellent job ensuring you were getting the full view of the position and who you would be working with. I also appreciate how HR kept you in the loop on where you were in the interview process and what were the next steps.

After the interview process, I was able to weigh my options and confidently select Brightcove.

Interview Questions

• Situational question - example: How would you handle XYZ type of conversation with a client?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Probably the best interview experience I've had. The coordinator was incredible and sent me so much information beforehand that I had no questions left when I came in. Can't help but mention the really great scheduling tool, was so easy to pick a time for the phone call and the face to face. I felt a lot of respect as a candidate (which is so important as you are in this vulnerable job-seeker position). They continuously kept me in the loop about the decision making process and things were moving pretty quickly so I never felt like they are leaving me hanging. Everyone was incredibly welcoming.

Interview Questions

• If you were offered this job, would you accept?   1 Answer

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA).

Interview

Telephone interview with HR, then a telephone interview with Hiring manager(Technical & Behaiviour) followed by onsite technical interview with 8 people. Office is in prime location in south Boston, they have modern and open work environment even for managers. Lots of people working there seems to have joined no more then 2 year ago.

Offer was not competitive to other offers I received

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in April 2018.

Interview

Had a phone interview first asked about projects I did and some questions about how to test Software. Went to their office and was interviewed by 5 different people only 2 being QAs. Not a single question about data structures or algorithms. ASked me about memory management which I was unprepared for. No question on Node.js, Javascript, or GIT which were requirement for the job. A couple questions about object oriented programming in Java but basic stuff. Got a quick tour around the office then it was over. Got an email 2 weeks later saying I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an Abstract class and an Interface in Java?   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in January 2019.

Interview

I had an engaging and informative phone call with the Director of Talent Acquisition. She went over the specifics of the position, all of the exciting reasons to work at Brightcove, and answered my questions. We set up an in person interview for after the holidays, she was very accommodating of holiday travel plans.

I thoroughly enjoyed my in person interview with the Talent Acquisition team. My time with each member of the team felt more like a conversation than an interview. Initially, I was supposed to meet with 4 people but towards the end of the interview I was asked if I could meet a couple more people. The team was very thoughtful of my time and made sure staying later would work for me.

Overall, the process was fast moving but extremely thorough.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your organizational style?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe your learning style?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where something did not go as planned and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • There was a skills assessment that included prioritizing tasks and writing emails.   Answer Question