Brightcove Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.3

Software Engineer - Customer Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

The process started with a phone call with a company recruiter who was very professional, honest, and accommodating. Next, there was a phone interview with the Director of Engineering which was very informative regarding the company and the role. Then the company was very accommodating regarding the scheduling of the onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of 4 one on one interviews with the engineering team. The final one on one was a two hour pair programming challenge. Overall the process was a great experience and I highly recommend Brightcove.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of background questions, technical questions and a pair programming coding challenge.   1 Answer

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

A phone screen by a senior QA engineer. First, she asked some questions about the projects on the resume. Then she asked some basic questions about javascript. I am not familiar with javascript. I did not know the answer. Finally, she asked whether I have some questions to ask her. The same day, I received the rejection call. This is my first interview and is really a pity.

Interview Questions

Brightcove Response

Oct 24, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us for the Javascript QA internship here at Brightcove, and to let us know about your experience. I am sorry that the interview process did not go as... More

Demand Generation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

My interview at Brightcove was very smooth and I appreciated that the Brightcove recruiter explained the process for me right from the beginning. The HR and marketing team were very accommodative with scheduling to line up with the times I was able to meet which really helped the interview process move along quickly. The interviews were efficient during both the phone interview and the two in person interviews that included a handful of people each from across the organization. It was a transparent and fast moving interview process.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

One phone interview call with the HR. She directly invited me for an on-site interview. I was supposed to be speaking to four interviewers for four rounds during the on-site interview, however one of the interviewers (the one who should be direct manager of this role) didn't show up in the office that day! I've never had such an unprofessional interview experience. I asked the HR if she could set up another interview with that absent interviewer to complete the interview process and gave me a fair chance to compete with other candidates, she said she would let me know. One week after, I got a rejection.

It's a young company with very informal work environment, but being informal doesn't mean you can be unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• very detailed questions about my experience and skill in finance.   Answer Question

Sep 27, 2016

We were very sorry to read that you did not have a positive experience while interviewing at Brightcove. Our commitment and goal is for all candidates to have a positive experience, regardless of... More

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brightcove in September 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by Brightcove HR via email soon after applying online. I was given several times to choose from for a phone conversation with an HR employee. I responded promptly and the time was never confirmed. I had to follow-up 5 days later (pretty sure they had forgotten about me) and the call was rescheduled for the following week. I had a nice, short conversation with HR and was scheduled quickly for a phone call with the Finance VP. We also had a nice conversation, however I came away from that call with the feeling that my background didn't align well enough with the position, which was not totally unexpected. I heard nothing for a week and then was contacted by HR to set up a time for a call the next day. Turns out the call was to say they were going in another direction, which is fine, but not sure why they had to waste my time and theirs to call me when an email would have been sufficient. I think HR needs some training.

Interview Questions

• Since SaaS was not the industry my experience is in I was asked to explain how my skills would translate.   Answer Question

Oct 24, 2016

Hi, thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback on your recent interview experience. I apologize that the experience was not ideal for you, we strive to make the interviewing process... More

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

Brightcove is top notch. From the moment I expressed interest, they were on point and kept the process moving. They didn't delay in getting me on the phone with the proper principals, and followed on in getting me to speak to the right people in both Boston and Phoenix. Further, they were engaged and involved in the offer process. Long story short, their hiring process was strong and to the point. They are expert at recognizing helpful personnel to their business and not hesitant in moving to hire them when the fit it right. Kudos.

Interview Questions

• Questions that probed my skills in presenting companies, brands, concepts and technologies   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Tempe, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

Contact: initiated via LinkedIn by internal recruiter
    Phone call: w/ internal recruiter, fact finding, and expectation management. Professional, short.
    Phone interview: w/ internal recruiter and team manager. Explanation of company and position. Evaluation of my interests/skills.
    In-person interview: Round robin with team managers and predecessor. Friendly, shallow dive into technical abilities and position details.
    Test: test of relative skills applied to company technology; deceptively difficult, but manageable.
    Offer: Timely, but not as high as the internal recruiter led on. Non-negotiable.
    Background check: Not sure why this wasn't done before the offer.

In my opinion the internal recruiter falsely represented the salary offering and then hard-sold a relatively low offer. The lack of willingness to negotiate still bugs me. Luckily, I didn't let it bug me too much (chalk it up to a lesson learned).

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was totally RUDE....!!!! . I don't want to mention the name of the guy who called me, but he gave me zero respect as a candidate and he was talking as if he has found out the Big Bang all by himself.
    Everyone makes mistakes , this guy didn't even give a chance to make a mistake and he was criticizing me right from the start as if i have not done anything till now. I have worked for couple of clients in my short career and holds a masters degree from a reputed university.

The last thing that he told me that: He asked me whether i have done anything challenging in this world.

A kind suggestion to the people who work and interview candidates : please don't make them look fools. You were once in their situation , looking for job.

May 18, 2016

We are sorry to read that you did not have a good experience during your interview process. It is our goal and priority that everyone who interviews with us has a positive experience regardless of... More

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was referred to Brightcove and my process started with a great initial call with the recruiter. She explained the story of Brightcove to me and how the role I was interviewing for would have an impact on the business. That call had a soon thereafter follow up in person meeting which included a tour of the incredible office and a more in-depth conversation with the direct manager as well as a few people within the immediate department. The passion for this company was palpable, so I became even more interested. I came back in for another round to meet people within other areas of the organization that my role would directly affect. This was a great way to learn different perspectives of the business and meet more culture points. After my second in person meeting I received an offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your best work environment and manager and what you think would make you thrive in your next role.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview within a day or two of applying online. HR member asked a few questions over a few emails, confirming what I was applying for was definitely what I wanted to be doing.

Phone interview was scheduled for 30 minutes and with an employee from Software Engineering. Interviewer seemed like he wasn't quite sure what to say at first, but picked up quickly after some of my responses helped segue into things the company does or other points he meant to talk about. Asked me one question to see how I thought, and the call ended in ~15 minutes.

Was contacted the same day by HR to schedule a second phone interview with 2 members this time. Was again sent more questions over a few emails, again confirming what I was applying for. I sent a confirmation and was waiting for an email back.

Email contact stopped for 2 days, and then I received an email that the position was being withdrawn, due to management changes in the few days following my phone-interview, and that no one would be considered for the position any longer. I was encouraged to apply again for a different position in December.

Interview Questions

• How might you test a video player with standard video player options (play, pause, time bar, options menu)?   Answer Question