Bungie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Bungie

3.6

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process started with a small phone conversation to gauge interest and high-level of skills. From there, a coding test was delivered, with a few different, interesting problems to try to solve.

Once that was done, there were two phone screenings, both standard 1-hour technical screens. The first had some basic technical questions, along with a verbal description of a problem and solution. The second involved some linear algebra (so please study up on it, it is actually relevant to the job) as well as another coding problem, this one more in depth.

The next step would have been an on-site interview but the process ended here for me.

Interview Questions

• Due to NDAs, I can't share anything specific, but remember to study your Linear Algebra for the phone interviews, and keep efficiency in mind for the take-home coding problems - use large data sets!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Sent in a resume and cover letter. Received a short questionnaire followed by a programming assignment. After submitting it one week later, they decided to go in a different direction after two days of review. The assignment took a long time to complete within the time frame they allotted. They did not inform me what was wrong with any of the answers.

Interview Questions

• Four programming questions (ranging in difficulty and length) and one written question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Bungie may be a great company to work for, but their interviewing process pre-onsite visit plain sucks. I spoke with two technical people on the team on the phone, with a week between the two conversations, both of which went pretty well. After the first chat, their recruiter went ahead and forwarded their programming test to me. She did this on a Friday night, and they generally want it completed within a week.

Following that, I had a pretty busy week with family matters and work and ended up submitting the solutions before the Monday after next. Effectively still managing to complete both coding exercises within a business week. I had great confidence in these solutions as the problems weren't enormously challenging and I enclosed unit tests that proved correctness beyond a reasonable doubt. The only flaw with the code was it wasn't written in the language specified (C++/C#), but rather in Java which is where I earn my living, so far. But I was fully assured by both engineers on the phone they are totally open to someone like me who would be looking to transition to a new dev platform, and in fact have seen a number of cases where that has taken place.

Here's the kicker though - some time into the week I was given to work on the test, the recruiter contacts me and tells me she wants me to talk to the second interviewer. I wasn't sure what to make of it, but agreed. As it turns out, I should have done one of the two things - either declined the conversation or not worked on the test at all. Because following my test submission, I get this exact reply from said recruiter:

"Thank you for taking the time to chat with the team and for complete our test. We understand that significant effort, investment and stress goes into taking any test and we absolutely appreciate that effort and engagement.

Unfortunately, we have decided to pursue candidates whose skills and experience more closely match the particular needs of this position. If I should receive any additional feedback from the team I’ll certainly pass it along"

If the second paragraph is true, why did you have me work on the test in the first place? Couldn't this decision have been reached without ever seeing a single line of code from me? If you did appreciate the effort that goes into polishing these assignments, the least you could do is give me a better explanation for the decline, not a form email. I thought Bungie was different from scores of companies that have you waste your time on these programming assignments which is a formality to them, when in reality they never intend to bring you in anyway.

My advice to anyone applying to engineering positions here (if you must) - decline completing the test until after it becomes a clear pre-condition to progressing further, e.g. being invited on site.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose specifics due to NDA but you will do well if you have CS basics like BFS down, as well as just are capable of writing clean code.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was definitely a very lengthy process for me. To be fare to the recruiting staff, though, they've made some major changes and I've seen several people come in since I started and it was much faster for them. That being said, from the application to in-house interview took over a month for me. Phone interview had to be split into two calls. They were both fine, standard questions and open to my own. The in-house definitely took a while. Almost all day with multiple people. They took me to a very nice lunch, though. Overall a good experience that ended well.

Interview Questions

• Wide range, everything from effects perf, to shaders to complex sequence setup.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

* Unusually high number of phone chats (including and beyond a typical tech screen).

* Take-home programming test, which encouraged writing solutions "as if they were production code." My test had two questions and took me about a day and a half of worktime (approx. 12 hours) total.

* Waited and kept in touch with their HR for feedback on my test, but did not receive anything until a full week later.

* Finally, was told that my application was declined, with "some concerns" about my code quality. I asked for clarification on those concerns but never received any. (In previous jobs I have been praised for my code quality, so I have no clue what Bungie's concerns might have been.)

* During the interview process, I was told that the jobs they post online are not an accurate reflection of what they are hiring for -- and specifically, that they make more postings than there are open positions in the office. HR seemed to consider this a tactic for attracting applications, but I would call it "lying."

Interview Questions

• (As a take-home programming challenge,) write code that will validate a "Boggle" board i.e. given a virtual board (collection of letters) and a dictionary, find words in the virtual board.   2 Answers

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA) in September 2011.

Interview

It took two weeks to get a response after I submitted my cover letter/resume to Bungie. I had a phone conversation with the recruiting manager, and we discussed my interests in the game industry, and Bungie specifically. After that, I received a programming test via e-mail, which I was expected to complete within a week.

After submitting my solutions, it took another two nerve-wracking weeks to get another response, which I would say was the only negative part about the entire experience. When I finally did get a response, it was an interesting one; the engineering team had finished grading my test, and they wanted to see if I could improve one of my solutions. I figured out what they were asking for and submitted my improved solution.

The next step was a phone screen with the engineer who would be my lead. The phone screen was a mix of discussions about my professional work and my hobby projects, followed by several technical and design questions. After the first phone screen, I had a second phone screen with a senior engineering lead, and the technical questions got deeper and more challenging.

Having passed both screens, I was asked to come in for a full day of interviews. I arrived at the Bungie offices at 8:30am, and I was there until about 6:30pm, so it was a very long and stressful day. I counted about seven interviews, excluding the lunch interview and the meetings I had with the recruiting manager at the start and end of the day. The interviews started with some highly challenging technical problems. As the day progressed, the questions got less technical and ventured more into the "softer" questions, probably to determine if I was a good fit with the company culture.

Throughout the day, I had the opportunity to learn about the culture at Bungie. It sounds like an amazing place for a game developer to work. The environment is very open and collaborative. Everyone is very intelligent and very passionate about what they do. The office layout is interesting, too; rather than the traditional cubicles or offices, almost all of the designers, engineers, and artists all sit together in this gigantic open-air room. It's very easy to walk up to anyone, even a senior engineering lead, and ask them questions about their work, and this is actually encouraged. Someone even said that I could go up to Jason Jones and challenge him on something that he designed (though I'd better be sure I know what I'm talking about!)

The interview day ended with a tour of the aforementioned offices, as well as some of the other facilities, such as the mocap room. The recruiting manager had one quick meeting with the division lead, who had previously met with all of the other interviewers, and she came back to me with an offer, which I accepted.

Everything about Bungie exceeded all of my expectations. The people, the culture, the benefits, everything. I am very excited to start working there. If you're thinking about getting into the game industry, or if you're already in and you're thinking about switching jobs, you should seriously consider Bungie.

Advice when applying to Bungie (particularly for entry-level candidates): Make sure you stand out from the crowd. I had been working on various game projects throughout the years, and all of them were listed on my resume. I also created a personal website where I went into greater detail on my projects, and I linked to this website in my cover letter and resume. Several of my interviewers asked me about these projects, and I think this contributed to my strength as a candidate.

Also, be very specific about which position you want to apply for. It's easy to have the mindset where you'll take any job they can give you, but they would rather hire someone who is intensely passionate about the specific field of the position. Bungie is a company of ridiculously passionate people. You have to be at least as passionate as they are, and it should be obvious throughout the entire process. This includes your cover letter, the phone screens, and throughout the onsite interviews. I have no doubt that a major reason they hired me was because of my passion for the specific position I applied for.

Interview Questions

• Many of my interview questions were strongly related to real-world problems that Bungie engineers had to solve when developing the Halo games. Since I signed an NDA, I don't feel comfortable sharing the interview questions here.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

After initial HR phone screen, received a programming test and was given several days to finish it. I spent about 3 days working on it. Several days later I received a response that they'd like to see if I could improve one of my solutions. I thought that was awesome! I had stopped working on that problem when it was "good enough". I enjoyed going back in and giving the code some real analysis, knowing someone was actually reading my code carefully and not just running it through a testing suite.

I had two technical phone interviews after that, each administered by a high-level engineer on the team I was applying to. The questions were genuinely challenging and I did not think of a quick answer. I really had to puzzle my way to a solution over the phone (the interviewers gave some guidance). The interviewer just wanted a verbal algorithm, no code (you're on the phone after all). It's a tough situation, talking on the phone, scribbling on a piece of paper the interviewer can't see, thinking out loud to avoid silence on the line, but trying not to let your own talking derail your thinking. After the technical question there were lots of questions about work I'd been doing. I asked a lot of questions and things were very personable.

The in-person interview ran from 8:45am and I didn't step out the door until 6:30pm. The first half of the interviews were with leads and other members of the team I'd be joining. The questions were very challenging and most involved whiteboard coding. I didn't feel like the questions were quite as difficult as the phone interviews, but they were still more difficult than what I'd encountered at other companies and Bungie seemed more interested in watching me struggle to a solution than just spout one out. Later in the day interviews were with extended members of the studio (producers, members of teams with responsibility overlap). The questions were more hand-wavey big-idea stuff and no more whiteboard coding, which was good, because my brain was a bit fried by then. Most people asked common behavior-type questions like "tell me about your most challenging ..." "... a time things didn't work out ..." "... a disagreement you had...". Lots of people had read my resume closely and asked questions about stuff I'd worked on that they found exciting. Everyone gave me ample time to ask questions at the end of each interview. At the end of the day I got a tour of the facilities and seeing the open floor where everyone works together was mind-blowingly awesome.

The team I interviewed with came across as fantastic people with a real interest in helping everyone else on the larger project. A lot of things about Bungie, from their giant open floor plan, to doing all art in-house without outsourcing, made it seem like teamwork, cooperation, and lack of friction were foundational principles.

Interview Questions

• Let's spitball how you would write an AI to play (A SPECIFIC NES-ERA GAME)   Answer Question

Had another very good offer. It was a tough decision.

Gameplay Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was applying for entry level. Got programming test in 2 days. Finished the test and sent it back a week later. In half a day, I was given a phone interview the following week. The first phone interview was about experience with a senior recruiter. It was casual, no stress, the conversation was good as well. But I was told the following day they moved on to other candidates. I think I did good on programming test, and I was positive on the phone screen too. The only reason I can think of they moved on is my lack of experience, but if this is true, I feel they should have had a phone screen with me before the programming test.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bungie.

Interview

Applied online. Received small questionarre a week later with stuff like expected salary, preferred start date, along with a Docusign of a NDA agreement and a programming test. The test was untimed but they said they preferred about a week for a submission. It was necessary to use C or C++. It was made up of 4 different questions covering a bunch of different CS topics. One, for example, was about speeding up the running time of an algorithm provided in an example.

The test seemed fair but the last 2 questions were very long winded. The last question was fun to do actually but the second to last question was not exactly clear in what it was doing. I gave that question my absolute best interpretation but had no way of testing if it was correct. Five days later I got an email saying they moved on with no feedback on my submitted results.

After submitting the test, I scoured the internet for a solution to that weird question and even paid a math tutor to go over the concept. She was convinced it wasn't possible with the information provided. I probably can't and shouldn't reproduce the question here sadly.

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie in October 2018.

Interview

I applied and received a copy paste response from a recruiter. They asked me to answer over a dozen questions that should have been discussed on a phone call. Then asked me to complete a skills test that would take a week. I completed it in less than half the time allowed and received a copy paste response that you have seen recently on other interview responses submitted on glassdoor.

I never spoke to any one. Not a single phone conversation or any communication other than copy and paste e-mails. If this is any indication of Bungie's culture I see I dodged a major bullet. Please be careful when they ask you to complete skills tests as they have no problem wasting your time without even having a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Have you previously worked/interviewed with Bungie?
      Do you know anyone who works for Bungie?
      Preferred start date?
      This position is at our studio located in Bellevue, WA. If you are not local to the area, are you open to relocating?
      Expected Salary (Base, Bonus, Other)
      Are you currently authorized to work indefinitely in the US on a full-time basis for any employer? Will you require visa sponsorship now or in the near future?
      Employment at Bungie is contingent upon the successful completion of a reference/background check. Any adverse information that you disclose or that is discovered will not necessarily disqualify you from employment. Are you willing to authorize this process should you accept an offer at Bungie?
      Aside from Bungie, what other companies are you chatting with?
      Do you have any pending deadlines or time constraints that we should be aware of?
      How did you hear about the position?
      Are you a gamer and if so, what games are you currently playing? What are some of your favorite games?
      If you have played any of Bungie's games, which one(s) and what was your favorite?
      If you have had the opportunity to play Destiny, what is the highest level character you have?   Answer Question