Bungie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bungie Interview Questions

Interviews at Bungie

3.7

Associate Activity Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bungie in February 2020.

Interview

Applied online and received an email two to three weeks later asking me to take a design test, they gave me a week to complete the test, unfortunately filling the position was put on hold due to COVID-19.

Associate Systems Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

Interviewed over the phone with 3-4 different people ranging from recruiters to designers before being called in for an on-site interview. I had also submitted a design test halfway throughout this process, and never really had to go into depth about it over the phone. All of the people I talked to were amazing at interviewing, which helped me be able to show my thought process and connect with them as people. Was a mix between typical interview questions and theoretical questions based on my answers, and was more of a conversation than "I ask, you answer". When I got to Washington, it was a half day marathon of interviews starting from 8:30am with a tour from the recruiter, followed by three, hour 1/2+ long interviews, a lunch, and an end with the recruiter. During the interviews I met with two people each, and used the whiteboard every time. They really look for you to explain your thought process, even if you may be wrong or change your answers as you work. They just want to know how you think. Lunch was with a group of 3 people and more casual. Overall it was a difficult day. But regardless of the outcome, it was a great experience, a great place, and I met some cool people along the way.

Interview Questions

• A lot of theoretical questions, where they give you a scenario and want to see how you'd either fix or go about it.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Seattle, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

Recruiter did an initial initial phone screen to gauge my interest. Next, the hiring manager did a one hour phone interview and finally there was an on-site interview of 5 people.

Interview Questions

• Three interviewers focus primarily on "tell me about a time when you <...>" questions. Two interviewers asked me system design questions. One was to implement a url shortener and another to design a system to predict website traffic for the next month.   Answer Question

Gameplay Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA) in June 2019.

Interview

The entire process took almost two months from start to finish, and I only got to the first step of doing an at-home programming challenge. I never talked to anyone over the phone or in-person, everything was over email through a coordinator. Almost all interactions with the coordinator took 24-36 hours to hear a reply, nothing about their process is fast.

Overall, I think this interview process was pretty miserable for interviewees. For the amount of calendar time and actual effort put into the programming challenge, they basically only got 1-bit of information back. They did not care about what approach I used, how I broke down the problems, or what approach I used to testing code. They literally only wanted a perfect bug-free solution and nothing more. I really wish I had known this upfront. I would have put less effort into how I approached the problems and more effort up front into ensuring I had a perfect solution. Every other take home programming challenge I have done has worked the opposite, where they want a solution that works, but care more about your approach and how you think about the problems.

Here is my experience broken down--

Week 0:
    I applied online and waited.

Week 4:
    I was contacted by a recruiting coordinator and asked many base line questions. This included things like expected start date, expected salary, relocation ability, etc.

I was asked to sign an NDA in order to move the next step of their programming homework assignment.

Week 5:
    I was sent the programming assignment and told they would like the test completed and returned within a week, but I can take as much time as I needed within reason. I told them I had to delay a week because I was not in a position to do the test this week.

Week 6:
    Working on the problems - there were two questions each very different. The questions were certainly challenging, but when broken down, they were not insurmountable. I do feel like a junior engineer may have struggle a lot more with these two particular questions. Ended up putting in a significant number of hours over a few days to feel comfortable with my answers. This was time writing the solutions themselves, and time put into writing unit tests and debugging the code.

Submitting -They only wanted the headers and source for these problems, they did not want to see my test harness or test case code at all. I had to wait a bit for feedback. From what I can gather, the coordinator hands the code off to an engineer who then hooks the code up to their own test harness, then passes back feedback to the coordinator. This process takes time.

I was informed that one part of my solution did not return correct results, they made no mention of what the nature of the problem was or what types of inputs were causing the issue. Thinking this was part of the test, and that I would need to inquire about more details on the nature of the bug, I asked what information I could give me about the bug (like you might try to do in the actual position), I was simply told that they wanted to see my ability to debug and test my code.

Week 7:
    I did find a couple of corner cases that were not covered in my original submission. I went ahead and submitted my corrected version.

Week 8:
    I was informed my submitted solutions did not pass and I would not be going forward.

Interview Questions

• Single function which involved a lot of linear algebra and maths. They did give a "cheat sheet" of fundamental maths formula to be used for the solution, they asked that you only stick with deriving your solution from these equations.   Answer Question
    • A problem around a single class with two interface methods to be completed. This question was heavy on data structures and algorithms related programming. It would be easy to write a working solution, but not one that scales well, this is where the real challenge is.   Answer Question

Associate Systems Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie.

Interview

I got a brief phone screening, which didn't go particularly in depth with what my previous work was like. Then there was a design test which I put a great deal of effort into.

Interview Questions

• There was a design test. Can't get into it specifically due to legal reasons.   Answer Question

Video Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Bellevue, WA) in April 2019.

Interview

This was about as terrible of an interview process as it gets. 3 phone interviews: One with a recruiter, two with department-specific leads. Two in-person interviews—the last being an 8 hour marathon that might as well be speed dating. Sit in a room all day and be assaulted by over 15 people coming in one at a time to grill you on the same questions over and over. But don’t worry, you’ll at least get to go to lunch...while being interviewed! The process sucked and they treat you with very little respect throughout it. I will say, however, the recruiters were very nice and pleasant.

Production Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie in December 2018.

Interview

I applied online for a contract production coordinator role and was contacted by a recruiter about three business days after. They had me sign a NDA and fill out some "pre-screen" questions, much like what you have seen on other Glassdoor reviews.

I was then asked to take the Production Test. I cannot disclose what was on the test due to the NDA. I was told that there was no time limit but that they like to see the test returned within a week. I was also told that there was no guarantee that the position would be available upon submission of the test. I took about two days and returned the test.

I then waited for a reply. Due to the holidays, I'm guessing there was a delay to have the test reviewed by the hiring team. A little over two weeks later, I received an e-mail that they were moving on and that I was no longer under consideration.

Throughout the process I dealt with one recruiter via e-mail. There were no phone calls or actual 1:1 interviews. My guess is that would have occurred after the test. The e-mails were timely and personable. I did get the sense that the e-mails were "canned text" but I would expect that to be the case with a company like Bungie as I'm sure they get hundreds of applications for their openings.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to take a Production Test but cannot disclose the contents of the test due to the NDA.   Answer Question

Investment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Seattle, WA) in December 2018.

Interview

Couple of emails before the phone screen (took about 2-3 weeks to get from first "we're interested" to actual date of the interview). On the day of the interview, the recruiter had to move the date 1 week because of her scheduling conflict. After the phone screen, it took them about 3 weeks to get back to me with the response.

Interview Questions

• What software did you use at your previous place of employment   Answer Question

Game Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie (Wilmington, DE) in November 2018.

Interview

Few steps:
    1. Questionnaire from recruiter with questions on salary, interests, etc. Also had an NDA I had to sign.
    2. Phone screen with recruiter where they described the position
    3. Phone screen with manager, which had a coding problem.

I wasn’t really prepared for a coding problem with the hiring manager during step 3, so I didn’t give an optimized solution. I misunderstood the scheduling email, which said to have access to a pen and paper during the interview, so I expected some sort of math question. I reached out to the recruiter after a few days and they said they were looking for better performance on the coding question. I don’t think it was a totally accurate assessment, but the manager was nice enough, and so were the recruiters.

Interview Questions

• NDA so no specifics, but general background and a simple coding problem   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bungie in October 2018.

Interview

I applied and received a copy paste response from a recruiter. They asked me to answer over a dozen questions that should have been discussed on a phone call. Then asked me to complete a skills test that would take a week. I completed it in less than half the time allowed and received a copy paste response that you have seen recently on other interview responses submitted on glassdoor.

I never spoke to any one. Not a single phone conversation or any communication other than copy and paste e-mails. If this is any indication of Bungie's culture I see I dodged a major bullet. Please be careful when they ask you to complete skills tests as they have no problem wasting your time without even having a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Have you previously worked/interviewed with Bungie?
      Do you know anyone who works for Bungie?
      Preferred start date?
      This position is at our studio located in Bellevue, WA. If you are not local to the area, are you open to relocating?
      Expected Salary (Base, Bonus, Other)
      Are you currently authorized to work indefinitely in the US on a full-time basis for any employer? Will you require visa sponsorship now or in the near future?
      Employment at Bungie is contingent upon the successful completion of a reference/background check. Any adverse information that you disclose or that is discovered will not necessarily disqualify you from employment. Are you willing to authorize this process should you accept an offer at Bungie?
      Aside from Bungie, what other companies are you chatting with?
      Do you have any pending deadlines or time constraints that we should be aware of?
      How did you hear about the position?
      Are you a gamer and if so, what games are you currently playing? What are some of your favorite games?
      If you have played any of Bungie's games, which one(s) and what was your favorite?
      If you have had the opportunity to play Destiny, what is the highest level character you have?   Answer Question