Carbon Black Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Carbon Black Interview Questions

Updated Oct 25, 2018

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Carbon Black in November 2017.

Interview

The initial contact was initiated within 2 days of my application. An initial phone screen with the recruiter then the hiring manager happened on the next day. After that, there were a couple more phone screens (due to location) and a coding test over the next week. I then had an on-site interview with 5 people. After that, it was waiting for an offer.
    During the whole process, I was kept informed of the next steps by the recruiter in a timely manner, and the pacing of the process was comfortable. They appreciated that I had existing responsibilities with my current employer, and were flexible with scheduling.

Interview Questions

Carbon Black Response

Nov 30, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thank you so much for your review! You gave a thorough explanation of the process which can be very helpful for those starting to apply! Congrats on the offer.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carbon Black (Waltham, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

It starts with an initial phone screen that is more logistics and a little behavioral. If the HR person likes you they'll invite you to an onsite interview. The onsite interview consists of meeting with four people and 2 were technical, 1 was behavioral, and 1 was a mix of behavioral and technical. Overall, everyone is extremely friendly and they care a lot about culture fit and technical skills.

Interview Questions

• How would you determine if there was a winner in a Connect Four board?   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carbon Black.

Interview

5 interviews over 3 rounds, 1 30 min hr phone call, 1 45 min nontechnical developer call, 3 onsite interviews each lasting 45 minutes plus a tour to round it off to 2.5 hours. Last round was the hardest, 1st interview with management, 2nd with a developer asking basic technical question (mostly informal about your projects), 3rd with a developer asking concept questions (here is where I messed up)

Interview Questions

• Determine a win condition in connect 4   Answer Question
    • Deadlock avoidance with a shared resource (group of people sharing a limited supply of chopsticks)   Answer Question

Nov 30, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thanks so much for your review! You provided some great detail about the process and we appreciate the examples you shared for interview questions. Very helpful!

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Carbon Black.

Interview

Thorough interview process with several rounds of phone/web calls and one on-site meeting.
    Met with wide range of people at different position levels within the organization.
    Enjoyable overall process with a good mix of technical and personality related conversations.
    At the end, you get a sense that the company is emphasizing on hiring the right people to fit its culture.

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Carbon Black (Waltham, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews with 3 team members. Interview was intelligent looking for key characteristics and problem solving ability. I met with 6 team members overall after an initial phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Design client and server objects that can coordinate events based on time across a network.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Carbon Black (Waltham, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Arrived in the morning for a nice breakfast. After that, there were 4 interviews, each 30 minutes. Each person had their own style but all liked to have discussions with you. I did not feel like I was being grilled on anything which was great, it was very friendly and conversational.

Interview Questions

• One thing they like to do is ask you to talk about some projects you have worked on. During this, you will be asked technical questions about what you are discussing.   Answer Question

Jun 29, 2016 – Carbon Black

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the discussions during the interview process. Our interviewers love to keep the conversation flowing so candidates... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carbon Black (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

First interview - phone screening with HR which ask you basic questions about your resume and past experience. Second interview - phone screening with an engineer who asks you more technical questions regarding your academic achievements and professional projects. Third interview - onsite interview with several engineers, team leaders and HR people.

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Carbon Black (Waltham, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for a full-time position during my senior year of college (fall 2016). There were three rounds of interviews - 1 phone, 1 video chat, and 1 at the corporate office.

The phone interview was a recruiting screen; simple behavioral questions, such as questions about my interests, classes, work experience, and life goals. The recruiter was really nice and I felt comfortable during the conversation, which is a big help over the phone.

The second round was a video chat over Cisco WebEx with an engineer-turned-manager. This was a technical interview, where I was asked questions related to the type of software engineering I was applying to do.
     Some questions I wasn't able to answer and some I had to guess on, but my interviewer did a great job at making me feel like I wasn't being grilled and gave me all the time I needed to think about answers. There were a few hiccups on their end (i.e. switching rooms and computers due to Internet issues), but, *shrug*.

The third round was at their corporate office in Waltham, MA. I was part of a group of ~15 other college student interviewees. We should up at 9 and were released around 1. We were fed a light breakfast of fruits and assorted pastries (which I missed due to getting lost. FYI, if you drive by the entrance, the road immediately becomes ONE WAY and you have to get back on I-95 via MA Route 2, UGH).
    There were 3 or 4 interviews - one or two recruiters and two engineers. All around, the questions were significantly more specific and difficult than those over the phone. The recruiter I spoke with wasn't super lax, but the engineers were again great at making me comfortable and helping me with stuff I didn't know once I was at a whiteboard.

Their office (the very small bit that I saw) was very nice. Clean and modern, with lots of glass and people wearing a mix of casual (jeans/sweatshirt) and business-casual attire. They reimbursed for gas too!

Turned out the team that wanted me wasn't based in Waltham, so at my request I had a 4th round of interviews at their location. I met said team and a few managers in formal interviews and was subsequently taken out to lunch by the entire team. A much smaller office with far fewer employees, it was still pretty nice. They had a small kitchen, but big windows, and everyone was really nice.

Overall, my experience interviewing at Carbon Black was probably the best of all the ~5 places that I ultimately got on-site interviews, and definitely the best in terms of ~12 companies I had phone interviews with. I had a lot of other great experiences, but something about Carbon Black gave me a positive gut feeling and I ended up accepting their offer.

Hope this helps you!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Started with a brief phone interview with a recruiter, then a half hour phone call with an engineer (no technical questions asked, just behavioral), then 2 hour onsite interview with: 1) tour of office 2) 30 minute technical interview 3) 30 minute concept based interview 4) 30 minutes with a senior engineer

Interview Questions

• They asked general security-related questions that required reasoning and logic   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Carbon Black (Waltham, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

First had a brief phone screen with the recruiter and then a technical video interview with an engineer. After these I was flown out to their headquarters for an onsite interview. There were 4 interviews in total at the onsite, each focusing on different things (technical, coding, culture fit, behavioral, etc.). All of the interviewers were extremely friendly and the interviews felt very conversational which made for a great interview process.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interviews felt very conversational but they asked things about previous work experience and projects I worked on and then branched off into technical conversations from there.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Carbon Black (Waltham, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus career fair. Was contacted shortly thereafter by a recruiter. Interview process consisted of a short talk with the recruiter, followed by a 1 hour technical Skype call with one of the engineers. Then, I was invited onsite where I had 4 interviews (1 HR, 2 Technical, 1 Leadership). Overall the experience was great, every person I talked to was smart and laid back, making the whole process relaxed and enjoyable. Throughout the entire process, communication was quick and transparent. I did not receive an offer unfortunately, but the recruiter gave me feedback on what the team thought which was very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Understand static and synchronized keywords, binary sort, and data structures.   Answer Question