Cision Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

2.4

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cision (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

2 phone interviews, & one in person interview with the account management team. The initial phone calls were approximately 30 minutes each, essentially a getting to know you, and a more in depth getting to know you. Didn't really touch on resume/job history. The in person interview was myself & 2 managers from the AM team doing a role play for an existing client nearing the end of their contract term. Pretty basic. Prior to the interview, the instructions stated the role play would be approximately 1 hr. Upon meeting the 2 AM team members(managers), I was told it would actually be 15mins. Again, no real in depth questions were asked. Additionally, a wunderlick assessment was taken prior to the in person interview, as well as at the in person interview.

I built a great report with the recruiter. At the in person, I was able to ask questions. Questions that the 2 managers stated were great questions. There was never an in depth questioning portion. I didn't hear back from the team for about a week before receiving an email stating that they'd went with another candidate. Receiving no additional feedback post the interview, & getting no offer definitely feels like I wasted several hours of my time to go through an entire interview process only to make it to the end with nothing. There were multiple opportunities for the team to express areas of concern prior to making it all the way to the final interview, but none were made.

Though I received an email stating they'd chosen another candidate, the very same position was posted not even a day later. Complete waste of time.

My initial phone call/introductory phone call happened about a week prior to the next hiring class, so I was informed that this would be for the following one, which was a little over a month out. Overall, the entire process was right around one month. I cannot stress how much time was wasted to essentially be dragged along for no results.

Interview Questions

• No actual questions of substance were asked. I asked them several, which, at the time, they raved about. Really generic questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cision (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Job was posted on Built in Chicago and I applied early February. I was contacted perhaps a day or so later to set up an initial phone screening. Very pleasant, very friendly. Was moved on to the second phone interview with the hiring manager. That went much differently from the first. I initially didn't receive a phone call from the hiring manager and waited for an hour or so, then emailed my point of contact, so we rescheduled. On the day that I was supposed to have the interview, I STILL didn't receive a phone call, waited again, and then emailed my point of contact AGAIN. They apologized and said the hiring manager was very busy, and rescheduled it for later that day. I received the phone call 10 minutes late of the rescheduled time and finally talked to the hiring manager.

The hiring manager seemed incredibly disinterested and seemed to be pulling questions out of thin air (should've known, this exact thing was mentioned in a review on Glassdoor previously). The phone call was short and I didn't get a chance to sell myself.

Horrified, I quickly emailed my contact again and asked for a second go. At this stage, there was a ton of miscommunication between me and my two points of contact, and the hiring manager so they rescheduled it anyways.

Second phone interview with a *different* manager was successful. Fantastic conversation.

A day or so later I was invited for an in-person interview scheduled for two weeks later.

In the mean time, I was requested to take a Wonderlic exam & prepare a 10 minute pitch for the interview. The Wonderlic exam was in two parts, 1. A ton of (unnecessary) math problems and 2. personality.

Upon interview day, I did not have to make a formal pitch to the two people interviewing me (one which included the first hiring manager) but was asked questions that related to it (so make sure your pitch's answers are well rehearsed!). Interview went extremely well. Made them laugh at one point, visibly lighted the hiring manager's (still uninterested) mood. Hiring manager told me out the gate that they were waiting for the "class" start date (training?) and would give me a call in two weeks once they had it. The other person who'd also been interviewing me asked if i had any other offers, if i needed an answer now, or if I could sit tight at my current position until they straightened it out. I told them I DID have other offers, but was gunning for this one, so I could sit tight (retrospect, I should've asked for an answer right then...so make sure you guys do that!!!).

Two weeks later around early April, I received an email stating that they'd chosen another candidate, and the position was reposted the next day.

Waste of time.

Night Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cision.

Interview

Recruiter called based on a quick online application, and gave a 30-minute first interview that was pretty basic and casual. The recruiter will pass your resume on to managers who will, within the next 2 days, have a 1.5 hr in-person interview with you that includes and editing test.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your yourself. Greatest strength? Greatest weakness? Any sales experience or work with clients? Any editing experience? Any other questions for me?   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cision (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted very quickly after applying for this position online. I had a standard screening call with the recruiter to discuss my background and what the role would entail. Recruiter said he wanted to move me to a second round, but then discussed the salary and it was incredibly low for a "manager" position.

Business Development Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cision.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and the initial process of talking to someone in Talent Acquisition went very well at first. Then they became harder and harder to get in contact with. They wouldn't answer my emails for days at a time and rescheduled my interview multiple times because they forgot about it. Once I was finally interviewed I felt as if the person interviewing me was very closed off and uninterested in me as a candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Cision (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview and then had a second phone interview that went much differently than the first. I did not get the job because the second guy only asked 2 questions then ended the interview. He had doubts about my resume and would not give me to time to sell myself.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to go into the software sales business?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The director of talent acquisition contacted me on Linkedin after finding my profile. He called me after scheduling some time the following week. Went over my resume and also the company structure and the position. And said he will set up some time with the hiring manager. No contact after that. I tried calling and also sent emails. No response to either of them.Will never get in touch with them again.

Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cision (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Very laid back, good atmosphere. Had two phone interviews, one with an HR person and the other would be my direct manager. I also had an in-person interview. The direct manager had a lot of questions and the entire interview ended up being about 1 hour long.

Interview Questions

• Do you think that you can work to learn the software?   1 Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Interview

The entire interview process was a pain. The internal recruiters cancelled the interview at the last second and tried to reschedule it the same day. Total nightmare. The questions asked didn't make any sense for the position I applied for. A lot of restructuring, mergers and layoffs going on.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cision (Raleigh, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

The first step was an interview was over Skype with two Engineering Managers, each from a different office. One manager only phone-dialed in, the other shut off video after a couple of minutes. It would have been nice to see who you were speaking with. The interview was very easy going and not too technical, seemed to be judging for initial fit and high-level competency.

The second step was an at-home coding exercise with no set time limit. You could easily spend one to two days on it if you want to impress.

The third step was another Skype interview, which was a two-hour interview that was supposed to be with the Engineering Manager hiring for the position, one of the original two. It turned out to be a panel of five people, the original two Engineer Managers, plus three other developers from both offices. They have a live coding exercise, and their big thing is a couple of thought exercises to see how you'd solve a particular problem. They seemed to want someone who had an immediate, almost pre-canned response ready to solve their exact problems, as opposed to someone who is willing to do the diligence to think, imagine, research, and understand the needs and available options to address them. Furthermore, they didn't seem to like any ambiguity regarding options to the problem, but expected an exact and definite architecture/solution as if a live thought exercise on the fly could produce anything very solid without further iteration.

All in all it was a positive experience speaking with their folks, being very pleasant, respectful, and easy to converse with.

Note to future candidates: sell yourself and highlight how YOU were the driving force behind technical decisions.