Cision Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Cision CEO Kevin Akeroyd
Kevin Akeroyd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You can work from home and plan your work life balance well" (in 59 reviews)

• "Ability to work from home if needed" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is little room for growth and opportunity and pay ends up being a driving factor that pushes great employees out the door" (in 12 reviews)

• "Very little room for advancement" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

vacation time, great work environment, business casual dress, great co-workers,located downtown Cleveland

Cons

Great job for right out of college, may be difficult to move up that ladder.

2. "Overall Okay"

I have been working at Cision full-time

Pros

Free coffee, soda, fruit. Good amount of PTO, flexibility to work from home, great work environment

Cons

Many changes, underpaid, lack of inter-department communication

3. "great pieces: need to get it together (and fast)"

I worked at Cision full-time

Pros

Good story for the marketplace to be the comms cloud leader.

Cons

Lack of focus. Lots of disparate offerings that need to brought together.

Advice to Management

Invest resources in all offerings to bring them up to date - so that Cision becomes the cutting-edge tech company it aims to be.

"Negatives Outweigh the Few Positives"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot in my time there as it was my first real job out of college. It's a good stepping stone. I met some really great people. Culture was pretty relaxed as far as PTO and no one breathing down your neck about things like tardiness. Health insurance is very solid.

Cons

Pay is low with little to no room for growth. Annual raises are a joke. New CEO changed a lot of things for the worse including decimating entire departments. Management doesn't seem to look out for their employees. Very little stability as far as culture is concerned and lack of job security.

Advice to Management

Look out for your employees, especially the ones who have proven their worth and reliability. Stop putting people in charge who don't care about making sure your workers are growing and satisfied. Have some integrity and be more organized.

"Sales Operations"

I have been working at Cision full-time

Pros

Surrounded by smart, professional people who know the ins and outs of the business.

Cons

Unwillingness to blend departments after mergers and acquisitions. Claim to promote the "we are one" value, yet continue to operate as separate companies.

Advice to Management

Include all levels of employees in decision making about projects and current job functions. There are so many good suggestions that have been submitted to management but nothing ever changes. Stop staying so separate when all we want is to be a united front.

6. "Not Great Not Bad"

I have been working at Cision full-time

Pros

Really cool work place. Office inside old warehouse turned into a makeshift town.

Cons

Workload overwhelming. Not enough staff.

Advice to Management

Hold weekly team meetings

"Good Starting Point"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a go getter there is opportunity to explore different career options. This is welcomed with open arms especially in the sales space. The training and onboarding process is top notch - many reps feel confident in the product once they complete training.

Jason - the President - is so great! He truly loves this company and wants everyone to succeed with it.

The work life balance is another big pro.

Cons

Many companies go through change however Cision is moving so fast that processes are not being ironed out. This causes chaos on the back end that clogs workflow and begins to limit bandwidth. Given all the change many upper management has left which leaves managers with their hands tied.

Also, Cision historically had a CEO that was extremely involved and showed his face on a regular basis. Since the new CEO took power in 2016 communication has significantly dropped off. It really seems as though he doesn’t care about his employees. When he came onboard it was explained that he would be traveling to most offices in the US on a regular basis. The only time I have seen him in the Chicago office was for board meetings - again, really doesn’t care about the day to day of employees.

While there is great opportunity to explore different career paths within the organization salaries at Cision are not great. On average the salaries are 10%-20% lower than industry standard. Getting any sort of a raise takes at least six months and constantly bringing it up to your manager/director.

Finally, Cision went public in June 2017 and there zero options for employees. In the beginning the exec team was great at communicating what the hold up was - however, this has dropped off. This is such a red flag.

Advice to Management

Overall, value your people. The reason I took the job at Cision was due to the energy within the offices and people enjoying where they work. Over three years that has severely changed.

Take the time to look at the bandwidth employees have and what they are actually getting paid - there is a major disconnect. More transparency from leadership and bringing the wall down between the CEO and the rest of the org will go a long way.

"A great place to work, for a little while"

Current Employee - Media Researcher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Media Researcher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, Co-workers, Benefits, Low pressure environment

Cons

Upper management, Lack of room for advancement, Acknowledgment, Too much focus on sales and not enough on the product, Poor balance between treatment of departments

Advice to Management

Pay attention to something other than dollar signs.

"Cision is running it into the ground."

I have been working at Cision full-time

Pros

The people that had been at PR Newswire.

Cons

C-suite management is out of touch with what the core products have been on the revenue driving side, PR Newswire.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the product. If you continue to focus only on the stock, you won't be around long. Other products in the industry have surpassed us and we are no longer the premium option on any front.

"Cision experience varies widely depending upon what team you work on"

I have been working at Cision full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

While I technically work at Cision, I am a PR Newswire/MultiVu employee and that is how I still see myself because those companies have been great to me and Cision, not so much.

PR Newswire leadership in Operations is long-tenured and excellent. I would say our team is the backbone of this entire organization with the best reputation but worst pay. We stay because we are supported by our managers, point blank.

Cons

Cision cannot get out of its own way. The CEO? Who is he. I have had face-time with him once and maybe 3 webcasts since 2016. This company values Sales the most yet seemingly cannot get their act together since it has been reorganized more than once. Maybe they should hire some Ops managers over there so things can get done.

Some of the worst product managers I have ever worked with. People with no vision who seem content with the snail's pace of a large bureaucracy. By the way, don't accept a management role if you need to ask 50 people their opinion before making a decision.

2 years later this company is still a fractured mess. Some divisions work great and some, I wonder if they work at all because they definitely do not answer emails. Maybe that is why PR Newswire has a good reputation and Cision does not.

Lastly, Product Marketing. That team has to be the most inefficient group around. They continually promise to provide collateral yet months elapse without any. The organization literally bleeds clients because they can't do their jobs. If you want to get anything done here, do it yourself.

Advice to Management

Show your faces more. Actually treat us like you care. Talking to us twice a year doesn't cut it and if I have to read our press releases in order to get news about you? You are clearly not good at communicating. I must also ask why so many females in upper management are leaving the company at once. A company led by mostly white males is embarrassing in 2018, particularly when the PR industry is dominated by women. Stop allowing great talent to walk away. Why can't we keep good people? I think the buck has to stop with you. Lastly, stop promoting incompetent people to roles they do not deserve. We are wasting time and money on ineffective people and for the life of me, I cannot understand why.