Cleary Gottlieb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cleary Gottlieb Interview Questions

Interviews at Cleary Gottlieb

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

I first had a phone screening with a recruiter. The recruiter then asked me to send him my college transcript to forward to Cleary. I was then informed they wanted to meet with me in person. I was interviewed by 6 different people for a total of 3 hours - they all met with me separately. My experience could not have been better, each person I met was warm, caring, and showed great passion for Cleary. The company culture seemed incredible to me as a candidate, and by the second interview I knew I wanted to work here. I also had a writing assessment where I had to translate a document into a foreign language. They offered me the job the following day which showed a strong decisive team who won't let a candidate they want slip away.

Interview Questions

• What was a mistake you made on the job and how did you learn from the experience?   Answer Question
    • Why Cleary?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time where you had a difficult time making a decision but had to make one anyway.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY).

Interview

I sent in the required materials and received an automated email confirming that they had received it and would be in touch with me if they felt I was a good match. Shortly after I was called and asked if I could come in for an interview. When I went in I met with the head of that paralegal department and two paralegals.

The two paralegals told me about their personal experiences and asked if I had any about what the job would require. The head of the department just told me about the job and left.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I received an interview invitation through a recruiter and the overall experience was very cordial. I met separately with two paralegals and the Director of Corporate Resources. I spoke with the Director first and she explained the requirements of the position and gave an overview of the firm culture/work environment. That lasted about 15 minutes. And then I spoke to the paralegals for about 10-15 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• Job experiences, leadership positions in college, the usual behavioral questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY).

Interview

They called me in for an interview a month after submitting my application. Three people interviewed me: the paralegal manager and two current paralegals. They interviewed me one after the other. It wasn't nerve-wracking but they all asked similar questions. They got back to me the next week.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

I interviewed with the paralegal manager. The interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions. Afterwards, I interviewed with current paralegals and conducted a written and spoken language test in Spanish. I was also given the opportunity to meet one of the firm's partners, to give more of an insight into firm culture.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions like "What is your greatest strength/weakness? Etc."   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

Interview

After applying through college career services, I got an in-office interview with several members of their team. The interview itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary, but they look for people who are sociable but keen. Words like "detail-oriented" and "flexible" were most often exchanged. They were incredibly organized throughout the interview process and responsive to all questions. They had great follow-up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

I received a request for an interview after having been referred to them by one of their former co-workers. The interview process consisted of speaking with multiple associates and human resources, some of whom seemed nice while others not as much. They all came across as rather arrogant and aloof, particularly the associates. After having spent less than half an hour in their office, I knew this was neither the kind of people nor the place I wanted to work with and in. I left the interview saddened over a few wasted hours.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to become a paralegal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (Washington, DC).

Interview

I received an interview through their recruiters. The process from application to offer was quick and informative. It took most of the day but you were able to meet not just HR but the lawyers as well in one interview. Were upfront about workload, expectations and benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

On the whole my interview experience was very pleasant. Mostly everyone I spoke to was very kind and eager to speak to me. My main interviewer was very pleasant and efficient. While the pace of our interview was a little startling, it made it experience intense and interesting. I then spoke to then current paralegals, which was probably the most uncomfortable part of the experience. I had a hard time gauging whether they liked what they were doing or not, which made me question the job itself and whether it would be good work or not. At the end of the interview, I as asked to translate a document from spanish to english and received to feedback on my performance, which left me feeling a little rattled. I didn't hear back from the company about a second interview or even letting me know that I did not suit their needs, which was a little disappointing after spending such a long time at the interview itself as well as time and money getting to NY for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you already live in New York?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

I submitted my application and was contacted via phone to set-up a phone interview. The interviewer called me 15 minutes before the established time. I few weeks later, I was called in for an in-person interview. The whole process lasted something like 4-5 hours as I interviewed with several people both from within the team I would have been working with and outside of it. They all asked the same questions, so by the end of it, kind of felt like a parrot. After meeting around 10-12 people, I then took a series of online tests. Two weeks later I got an email saying I was out of the running.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too unexpected, but the sheer number of people I met was tedious.   Answer Question