Cornerstone Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cornerstone Research Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2017

3.3

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

Case Study Interview, met with two people over 2 hours. I sent in an resume and cover letter, and they responded after about a month. Did a quick phone screen, then had the in-person interview two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the economic impact of a negative event to a firm holding senior bonds?   Answer Question

Desktop Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

First met receptionist who handed me a schedule of my next 2 hours, which was 4 interviews- 1 in person and the rest were via video conference with NY, silicon valley and another place.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider a difficult issue, i.e. level 2?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Interview

the interview process at cornerstone research included 2 phone interviews (1 for initial resume screening and 1 for case interview) and onsite interview for the final round
    The case was a little different from typical management consulting case interviews in that you actually get to use some of the basic econ concepts (ex. interaction between supply and demand)

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

There are two rounds of interview. First round: a phone interview with two sessions, each session with one case and some background and research project questions. Second round: an onsite interview with four sessions, two sessions before lunch and two sessions after lunch. Two associates took me to lunch. Each session is very similar to the session in the first-round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The first round was on-campus interview for an hour. Talked to two interviewers individually. The interviews were half behavioral and half case. Second round was in LA office. They scheduled four interview sessions and a nice lunch with two analysts.

Summer Interview

Interview

30min Skype interview with a senior analyst. Mostly behavioral questions with a few economic/financial market question in the end. Be familiar to loans, mortgages and interest rates. The interviewer is nice and would help you if you get stuck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I had a second round interview in Ny and I had dinner the night before the interview with an associate and a principal. During the dinner, the principal grilled the associate in front of me for not working hard enough and wasting his time playing games with analysts. The associate was simply trying to create a collegial environment at work in my opinion. The principal also made some almost offensive comments about my ethnicity and religion. Weirdest interview of my life overall. They give you cases that are extreme niche and it seemed to me like lawyers come to these guys and say do whatever, use your econometrics tools and fine the result that our client wants. Miserable job in my opinion. Nobody looked happy or smiled in the company.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

A very rigorous interview process. 2x 45 min first round interview, 5x 45 min second round interview. Each interview had a case portion that focused on one of the real world cases they worked on. In the second round interviews I spoke with 1x associate, 1x senior manager, 1x principal and 2x Vice Presidents.

Interview Questions

• Discuss the merits/demerits of an antitrust labor market case.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting. For the first-round on-campus interview, it consisted of two 30 minute back to back interviews with Analyst. The second-round consisted of four 45-minute interviews and lunch with a variety of staff ranging from Analyst to VP. The format of these interviews is largely the same. They typically begin with a few behavioral questions, usually, regarding your interest in the Cornerstone and about a singular research/professional/extracurricular experience on your resume – make sure you have a cohesive story and can articulate the experiences you had that led you to the present. This tends to take up VERY little time, no more than 5 minutes, barring a story that the interviewer really takes interest in. Then the remaining time will consist of a case, where it is largely interviewer led and could range from a wide variety of topics. The questions were exactly what you'd expect from Cornerstone, so definitely brush up on your econometrics (if you've taken it), economics, and be prepared to provide insights into these real world cases that the interviewer has worked on. I definitely got stuck several times, and when asked for a clue the interviewer would always help and nudge you in the right direction, which made me feel valued as if everyone wanted me to do well. I think it must be noted that there is a fair amount of creative freedom in how the interviewer wants to lead and present the case, so if you provide a cutting edge insight or pique their interest s/he might decide to take you down a rabbit-hole – this also means that your experience with a case might be VERY different than someone else’s experience with the same case set-up. At the end, you will be able to ask questions to the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Given X, do you see any issues with this?   1 Answer
    • Why might this firm want to do X?   Answer Question
    • How would you measure/model X? Do you see any issues with your method?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research in February 2017.

Interview

First round consists of 2 phone interviews, 45 minutes each. Questions were about past or current cases the consultants were working on. It took about 5 days to hear back from them. The second round consists of 6 in-person interviews