Cornerstone Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cornerstone Research Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2017

3.3

Summer Interview

Interview

30min Skype interview with a senior analyst. Mostly behavioral questions with a few economic/financial market question in the end. Be familiar to loans, mortgages and interest rates. The interviewer is nice and would help you if you get stuck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I had a second round interview in Ny and I had dinner the night before the interview with an associate and a principal. During the dinner, the principal grilled the associate in front of me for not working hard enough and wasting his time playing games with analysts. The associate was simply trying to create a collegial environment at work in my opinion. The principal also made some almost offensive comments about my ethnicity and religion. Weirdest interview of my life overall. They give you cases that are extreme niche and it seemed to me like lawyers come to these guys and say do whatever, use your econometrics tools and fine the result that our client wants. Miserable job in my opinion. Nobody looked happy or smiled in the company.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

A very rigorous interview process. 2x 45 min first round interview, 5x 45 min second round interview. Each interview had a case portion that focused on one of the real world cases they worked on. In the second round interviews I spoke with 1x associate, 1x senior manager, 1x principal and 2x Vice Presidents.

Interview Questions

• Discuss the merits/demerits of an antitrust labor market case.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

I was invited to their office. I met with several people from their team. They all told me a bit about themselves and then gave me cases to discuss.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

Interviewed on campus and then D.C. office. Reasonably difficult interview, 5 or so case interviews involving past cases that the firm has worked on. Pretty important to have basic knowledge of econometrics and regressions.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Overall it was a nice Experience. I had 2 interviews of 45 minutes. In the first one, there were 2 interviewers, in the second one only 1. The first part was on my job market paper while the second part was a case study. Also there was an initial question on why cornerstone.

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

I first interviewed on campus and then on-site. I interviewed with seven people in total and each presented me a case to work on. There were also some behavioral questions. Everyone was encouraging and friendly.

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

This company can be very very tough to get in if you don't have a background in phd economics/finance. I worked in IB before but found the interview cases puzzling. Worst of all was that I didn't find the PhD associates/VPs pleasant. Some PhDs are extremely arrogant and hard to talk to. Granted, they may be very smart and good at their job. But I just found it very difficult to communicate with some of them during lunch/interviews. Many of them lack people skills and only give "yes/no" answers - it's hard to imagine how they manage to do well in a "client facing" role... Other interviewers were more "normal", shall we say. I felt that only a certain type of candidates will succeed here.

Interview Questions

• No prior research experience was asked, contrary to many other reviewers. Pretty much all cases following customary fit questions.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

First step: online application; Second step: three 30 minute interviews, 10 minutes focused on behavioral questions and 20 minutes on case studies with interpretation of tables, last couple minutes were spent on questions the applicant might have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

First round was a 30 minute skype interview. Walked in to start the case 6 minutes after my time slot started (person before me finished late). Case wasn't too bad. Got to the behavioral interview and the interviewer goes, "Sorry, we don't have time for your behavioral. Have a nice day." Left me rather upset and with a very bad impression because I'm certain it is a fantastic firm.

Interview Questions

• Case study regarding the sort of work the interviewer did.   1 Answer