Cryptic Studios Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cryptic Studios Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.3

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in February 2017.

Interview

Applied Online and received a test about 1 month later. The online test has two questions, the question is OK but definitely takes more than 3 hours. I passed and interviewed with HR then. Then a technical interview about basic C, bitwise operator, optimization. I did not do well since I am not very good at bit, cache. There might be more questions, but I spent too long on the previous questions. The interviewer is pretty nice and professional, he is very patient even though I made a lot of 'stupid' mistakes. There should be another interview, but due to my bad performance, they just move on and did not call.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in February 2017.

Interview

I did the coding test. There are 2 questions and requires either C or C++. They are more homework questions than interview questions. Coding fluence is key to complete within 3-5 hrs. If you can't complete it, you definitely need to practice more. After several days I got a email for a behavioral phone pre-screen. After the phone screen, you got a technical phone interview with 2 programmer and then 1 manager. I did the coding test in C++, so I thought the interview will be in C++ too, at least you got to choose between. It turns out the phone interview is only in C and I have not touched C in a long time. I failed at the very first question manipulating a char* string( which is very embarrassing, but I have not touched C syntax for a long time ). They stopped the interview right away saying that I don't have the skillset.

Interview Questions

• U can search the questions online. Apply for this company only if you are very good at C. They only use C.   Answer Question

UI Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in June 2016.

Interview

This interview has 3 stages.
    1. phone interview (with HR)
    2. art test.
    3. team interview (groups of 2-3 people, 7 total)

Phone interview is pretty straight forward. HR wants to know more about what you do, etc.
    Art test will test you in your UI and UX knowledge.
    I've been through all 3 stages of the interview. I passed the art test and met some of the team members. They're all pretty nice people. After that I had to wait over 3 weeks just just for them to reject me.

They take a very long time to give you an answer. The whole process took over 1.5 months. This shows that their management system really sucks. When i read the other reviews before doing the interview, I thought to myself how bad could it be? But every review they say about this company is true. Also, my advice is, if you manage to go through all the stages of the interview, be prepared for a long wait and don't get confident that you'll get the job. Don't let this position keep you from applying for other companies. This is something I truly regret - putting hope in this company.

Good luck.

Interview Questions

• In the on site interview, they will ask you multiple UI questions on the spot. Be prepared to answer those.   Answer Question

Staff UI Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in June 2016.

Interview

All in all the process took about 3 weeks. There were two phone interviews, one with a recruiter, the second with a couple members of the art team, and then an art test that was reviewed during an onsite interview.

The onsite interview was comprised of 3 groups. The art leads, UI artists, and UI engineers. They went over the test, asked about your motivations and reasoning behind the choices, some standard UI/UX questions before launching into a mini whitebox test.

The onsite was held close to the end of the work day and I received an offer the next morning.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate salary because they offered more than I had asked for.

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios.

Interview

I was contacted by email and had a brief phone interview, then was asked to complete a QA test. Then I received an email saying my test was graded and they would contact me, and I was never contacted again, even after I emailed the recruiter back asking if I was still in consideration. It seems that once this company decides no, they'll never respond even if they said they would.

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios (Los Gatos, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Cryptic was unique in requiring a rather time-consuming online programming test early on during the process - I think it was after a couple email exchanges with HR, before any phone screenings.
    It took me 5.5 hours to complete the two programming tasks - you have to actually write and submit working code, preferably in C but C++ is fine too, C# or Java are optional but - since the engine is in C so if you don't know neither C nor C++ chances are you're outta luck here.

Some interviewees have posted here that the programming tasks were competition-level or something. I cannot agree - the tasks were pretty straightforward, and while not as simple as reversing a string - the difficulty was very adequate for the position. In fact if you find those questions particularly hard - I'd say you need to get some more programming experience before you apply.

Anyway, a week or so after submitting the programming task - I got a phone screening date. Typical programming phone screening - 4-5 programming, or general computer tech questions that you're supposed to answer - this time within a couple minutes.

After that - scheduled for an on-site. They pay for the tickets and hotel. A really nice 4-star hotel, mind you. The on-site is quite quick - no more than 3 hours (I've heard that many tech companies have the on-site take an entire workday). 4 or 5 back-to-back sessions in one room, about 25-30 min each, with different people. Usually 2 at a time. Stuff includes whiteboard programming, gaming experience/understanding of game design, and the "what exactly do you expect here" kind of questions. Then you're done.

I got a phone call with the offer the next day, took it right away.

Interview Questions

• The online programming questions are out there for years (although I learned of that AFTER submitting them. Oh well. But hey - cheating is pointless here - it will become obvious very quickly).

On the on-site interview - for an engine programmer position anyways - a lot of focus was on performance. Cache optimization, CPU cycles. Avoiding sqrt() in favor of multiplication, avoiding heap access unless absolutely needed. Gotta know your multithreading. C-specific tricks. Gotta think about performance of every operation, and priorities. Don't optimize code that takes 0.01% of the time, but that which takes 80% of the time.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios.

Interview

I underwent the online test involving 2 C++ programming questions. At first I was unable to solve the problems in the allotted time so I received a rejection email. I then contacted HR and asked if I could retake the test in the future. They said "yes, and we encourage you to." So I went back and after several hours of struggle I perfectly solved the problems which it seems to me are really no more than a means to gauge how much someone wants the job. So I attempted to apply again, but this time HR said "No, you've already taken the test." So I said "Ok, when can I retake it?" "When you have more experience." Needless to say I no longer wish to work for such a conceited ill-informed company that has no regard for it's employees or it's job candidates. I don't think it will be long before this company goes bankrupt due to such poor management. Have a nice day.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation questions.   1 Answer

Environment Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios (Los Gatos, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied via polycount. Had a couple phone screenings with HR. Then I had a phone interview with a couple artists. Was given an art test to do for about a week. After passing the art test they flew me out for an in studio interviewed by about 7 people in groups of two and lastly with hr. Mostly going over my portfolio art test, I really only had one interview question in my opinion. See below.

Interview Questions

• If there were three rooms a player had to go through, start(empty), middle(filled with cultists), and end(boss dragon) how would you theme each room and make them unique from each other?   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios.

Interview

Pretty standard, phone screening, timed take home test (in C but you can write it in C++ if you're more comfortable doing so). Just google the test, it seems they use the same questions for every programmer test for the last decade. 4-5 hours is the "expected" time but its somewhat unrealistic unless you're very comfortable taking programming tests. I know of people that took significantly longer and it was fine.

Interview Questions

• I've already blocked them from my brain but you can google them. They're the same questions I found online.   Answer Question

Graphics Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios.

Interview

I received a programming test a few days after the I submitted my application. It's a timed test. When I accepted to take the test, they then asked me for my resume. I finished the test, which didn't got well. They sent me a rejection email.

Interview Questions

• The programming test has two problems. Both of them are based heavily on string manipulation in C. There are some special cases that you need to account for in your solution. It's a timed test. You have 5-8 hours to finish it.   Answer Question