Cryptic Studios Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cryptic Studios Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2017

3.3

General Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in October 2017.

Interview

A coding challenge was sent after a few email exchanges with the recruiter. The test is timed and you are expected to finish in 6-8 hours. If you do not complete within the given time don't worry too much, still submit the finished code. Waiting to hear back from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Be very good with string manipulations. Learn how to use doubly linked lists and how to manipulate elements inside a 2-d array/matrix and you should be good.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in August 2017.

Interview

Took an online coding challenge. Relatively difficult.Took more than 4 hours for two questions. Would recommend going through search,dynamic programming, and data structures before starting challenge. Good experience overall.Wish I studied a little more on search and dynamic programming.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in June 2017.

Interview

Reached out to Cryptic studios and had an extremely quick response time from their recruiter. They sent me a coding challenge to complete. I found the challenge to be difficult.

Interview Questions

• Unfortunately they do not allow you to reveal the questions.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in February 2017.

Interview

Applied Online and received a test about 1 month later. The online test has two questions, the question is OK but definitely takes more than 3 hours. I passed and interviewed with HR then. Then a technical interview about basic C, bitwise operator, optimization. I did not do well since I am not very good at bit, cache. There might be more questions, but I spent too long on the previous questions. The interviewer is pretty nice and professional, he is very patient even though I made a lot of 'stupid' mistakes. There should be another interview, but due to my bad performance, they just move on and did not call.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in February 2017.

Interview

I did the coding test. There are 2 questions and requires either C or C++. They are more homework questions than interview questions. Coding fluence is key to complete within 3-5 hrs. If you can't complete it, you definitely need to practice more. After several days I got a email for a behavioral phone pre-screen. After the phone screen, you got a technical phone interview with 2 programmer and then 1 manager. I did the coding test in C++, so I thought the interview will be in C++ too, at least you got to choose between. It turns out the phone interview is only in C and I have not touched C in a long time. I failed at the very first question manipulating a char* string( which is very embarrassing, but I have not touched C syntax for a long time ). They stopped the interview right away saying that I don't have the skillset.

Interview Questions

• U can search the questions online. Apply for this company only if you are very good at C. They only use C.   Answer Question

UI Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in June 2016.

Interview

This interview has 3 stages.
    1. phone interview (with HR)
    2. art test.
    3. team interview (groups of 2-3 people, 7 total)

Phone interview is pretty straight forward. HR wants to know more about what you do, etc.
    Art test will test you in your UI and UX knowledge.
    I've been through all 3 stages of the interview. I passed the art test and met some of the team members. They're all pretty nice people. After that I had to wait over 3 weeks just just for them to reject me.

They take a very long time to give you an answer. The whole process took over 1.5 months. This shows that their management system really sucks. When i read the other reviews before doing the interview, I thought to myself how bad could it be? But every review they say about this company is true. Also, my advice is, if you manage to go through all the stages of the interview, be prepared for a long wait and don't get confident that you'll get the job. Don't let this position keep you from applying for other companies. This is something I truly regret - putting hope in this company.

Good luck.

Interview Questions

• In the on site interview, they will ask you multiple UI questions on the spot. Be prepared to answer those.   Answer Question

Staff UI Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios in June 2016.

Interview

All in all the process took about 3 weeks. There were two phone interviews, one with a recruiter, the second with a couple members of the art team, and then an art test that was reviewed during an onsite interview.

The onsite interview was comprised of 3 groups. The art leads, UI artists, and UI engineers. They went over the test, asked about your motivations and reasoning behind the choices, some standard UI/UX questions before launching into a mini whitebox test.

The onsite was held close to the end of the work day and I received an offer the next morning.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate salary because they offered more than I had asked for.

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios.

Interview

I was contacted by email and had a brief phone interview, then was asked to complete a QA test. Then I received an email saying my test was graded and they would contact me, and I was never contacted again, even after I emailed the recruiter back asking if I was still in consideration. It seems that once this company decides no, they'll never respond even if they said they would.

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios (Los Gatos, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Cryptic was unique in requiring a rather time-consuming online programming test early on during the process - I think it was after a couple email exchanges with HR, before any phone screenings.
    It took me 5.5 hours to complete the two programming tasks - you have to actually write and submit working code, preferably in C but C++ is fine too, C# or Java are optional but - since the engine is in C so if you don't know neither C nor C++ chances are you're outta luck here.

Some interviewees have posted here that the programming tasks were competition-level or something. I cannot agree - the tasks were pretty straightforward, and while not as simple as reversing a string - the difficulty was very adequate for the position. In fact if you find those questions particularly hard - I'd say you need to get some more programming experience before you apply.

Anyway, a week or so after submitting the programming task - I got a phone screening date. Typical programming phone screening - 4-5 programming, or general computer tech questions that you're supposed to answer - this time within a couple minutes.

After that - scheduled for an on-site. They pay for the tickets and hotel. A really nice 4-star hotel, mind you. The on-site is quite quick - no more than 3 hours (I've heard that many tech companies have the on-site take an entire workday). 4 or 5 back-to-back sessions in one room, about 25-30 min each, with different people. Usually 2 at a time. Stuff includes whiteboard programming, gaming experience/understanding of game design, and the "what exactly do you expect here" kind of questions. Then you're done.

I got a phone call with the offer the next day, took it right away.

Interview Questions

• The online programming questions are out there for years (although I learned of that AFTER submitting them. Oh well. But hey - cheating is pointless here - it will become obvious very quickly).

On the on-site interview - for an engine programmer position anyways - a lot of focus was on performance. Cache optimization, CPU cycles. Avoiding sqrt() in favor of multiplication, avoiding heap access unless absolutely needed. Gotta know your multithreading. C-specific tricks. Gotta think about performance of every operation, and priorities. Don't optimize code that takes 0.01% of the time, but that which takes 80% of the time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cryptic Studios.

Interview

I underwent the online test involving 2 C++ programming questions. At first I was unable to solve the problems in the allotted time so I received a rejection email. I then contacted HR and asked if I could retake the test in the future. They said "yes, and we encourage you to." So I went back and after several hours of struggle I perfectly solved the problems which it seems to me are really no more than a means to gauge how much someone wants the job. So I attempted to apply again, but this time HR said "No, you've already taken the test." So I said "Ok, when can I retake it?" "When you have more experience." Needless to say I no longer wish to work for such a conceited ill-informed company that has no regard for it's employees or it's job candidates. I don't think it will be long before this company goes bankrupt due to such poor management. Have a nice day.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation questions.   1 Answer