What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "+ The people here are friendly, and not overworked." (in 19 reviews)
- "Good work life balance" (in 6 reviews)
- "Management is extremely supportive of the employees, here at Cryptic." (in 5 reviews)
- "Good salary and great benefits, including 401k" (in 5 reviews)
- "Coworkers are cool people, and management takes care of it's people" (in 4 reviews)
- "poor management." (in 11 reviews)
- "Pay is below market rate" (in 6 reviews)
- "The design teams needs some leadership that is better tapped into what's actively happening in MMO's." (in 4 reviews)
- "Upper management is completely clueless but unbelievably arrogant." (in 4 reviews)
- "Also poor on communication." (in 3 reviews)
Found 71 of over 75 reviews
Updated Sep 19, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 3.0Dec 11, 20223D AnimatorCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Atm, working from home, health insurance, and decent pay for the area.
It's more about keeping the project alive (it's a stable job), than being creative.
- 3.0Jan 1, 2022Systems DesignerFormer Employee, more than 5 years
A lot of driven, passionate individuals doing good work on the ground level who were a pleasure to work with There was a lot of nice parts of office life back before the pandemic Fully remote option is a really nice plus Crunch is a rarity
Office life is dead thanks to pandemic + full remote, so all the perks are as well Pay is below market rate - offset significantly now due to fully remote Issues predominantly stem from management. People stay untouched despite a wall of complaints just because "we're not as bad as the other studios" Management tends to be clueless about the current state of the game, why things go over well with players, and how to interact with people. Management is also exclusively an "old white guys club" and they view that as "just how it is" and not both a problem to be fixed and a symptom of bigger problems in the company structure Filing any complaints about people in upper management will lead to your career going on a massive nose-dive, and at best you can save it by moving to a new team Experts on the ground level are regularly ignored and told their opinion is irrelevant
- 3.0Sep 7, 2022Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 1 year
Great supportive company culture. Encouraging of growth and internal promotion. Fun and supportive of gamers and gaming culture of all kinds. Diversity before it was cool.
Leadership needs to do a better job of listening to internal feedback. Too much reliance on doing what worked last decade.
- 1.0Feb 7, 2022Senior Artist IICurrent EmployeeLos Gatos, CA
Working from home. Free t-shirts. Some free food.
Filled with meetings. No overall game direction. No long term company plans. Location is too expensive. Old tools. Outdated skillset. Old games.
- 4.0Sep 30, 2021Environment ArtistFormer Employee, more than 1 year
Cryptic looks after their employees Sense of ownership on projects People are great to work with! Flexible schedule
Need more diversity Old tech Not pushing boundaries, ok with coasting with basic art Management gets feedback but is slow to react or sometimes do not. Need more actionable accountability from management
- 4.0Aug 30, 2021Senior Game DesignerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsLos Gatos, CA
The team on the live products know their customers, IP and tech very well.
Pay is relatively low compared to other, similar San Jose or Bay Area jobs
- 5.0Jun 17, 2021Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
Cryptic has an amazing culture that is very rare to find in the game industry. They also have amazing benefits and health care. Cryptic is also starting to "Modernize" with the newer leadership which gives the company a great future.
Perfect World is kind of hard to work with as a publisher, and the third party IPs cause a bit of friction.
Cryptic Studios Reviews FAQs
Cryptic Studios has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 75 reviews left anonymously by employees. 64% of employees would recommend working at Cryptic Studios to a friend and 39% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
64% of Cryptic Studios employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cryptic Studios 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.