Curse.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Curse.com Interview Questions

Interviews at Curse.com

2.2

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Curse.com.

Interview

Initially applied to an online posting but was a better fit for a full time position. I did a couple casual phone/Skype interviews and then was flown to their HQ for another casual round of in-person interviews. I would not necessarily say that my experience was typical of most employees, who went through a more official application process for a specific job whereas I just happened to get my resume on the desk of someone who'd been thinking of creating a position like the one I ended up being offered.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to come up with strategies for attracting groups of users from the main competitor.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received an offer I felt was very low considering my educational background. However, the position was way too good a fit to pass up, so I bargained their salary offer up enough to make it reasonable, if still a little low.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Curse.com (Irvine, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was the best interview experience ever. I interviewed for Software Engineer, React position.

It is overall standard all day interview, but you will have opportunity to talk with CTO and CEO. Difficulty can be vary depending on your preference. If you are confident with the skill set for the position, you are good in technical side. There is not much of standard algorithmic questions, but it is more important to have deep understanding in the skill set (React, Javascript experiences.. various library and methodology, SCSS, SASS, Redux, etc) for the position. There are a lot of behavioral questions, not just asking 'do you like game?' but giving you various situations and you need to tell what would/did you do, which can be somewhat challenging because you have to come up with the example quickly. Curse is now a Twitch company & Amazon family, so it is good to know Twitch Core Value and Amazon Leadership Principle.

You will have good time as long as you are a gaming enthusiast. When talking with CEO, pretty much the whole 45 minutes was the conversation about gaming experiences and streaming industry, very enjoyable, I can tell you.

I eventually ended up with rejection because my lacking professional experiences in Javascript. I have reasonable amount of personal experience in React and React-Native, and have built production level application, but this seemed not enough for Curse: unfortunate part! But interview experience itself was very awesome, you will like it.

-Be confident about the skill requirement. Show you can be a part of team.
    -Expect some behavioral questions.
    -Good to go.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Curse.com (Irvine, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interviews were easy relative to similar age and size companies. You should expect interviews to follow a panel format with multiple interrogatories. Some technical evaluation is done, but only average coding skills is required to pass that stage. Multiple calls via Skype followed by an on-site interview where you spend a good portion of the day in a single conference room. They do little to sell you on the company, instead focusing on whether you are good enough for them. It's a mistake I often see in small companies, so just go in with that expectation. They are very proud of their kitchen, so I advise showing excitement if you want to make a good impression. Most importantly, be sure to use the mobile, desktop, and web applications so you can engage in a conversation regarding specific features--good and bad. Don't shy away from pointing out defects and major missing features as they appear to appreciate that insight.

Don't expect much in terms of feedback from the interview. I was told they are looking for "someone different". That's a poor answer regardless of the question, not that I ever expect much when you are not being extended an offer. Best case, they did a poor job of executing on the remote interviews.

If you really enjoy an open office environment, you'll like the setup in Irvine. Everyone, except accounting, is at shared desks where you are face to face with other employees. I recommend noise cancelling headsets at a minimum. Overall, I recommend avoiding this employer as the recent purchase by Amazon (by way of Twitch) is a poor sign for the culture--Amazon is known to have one that could be described as toxic. You'll find actual game companies to be a far more rewarding experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game you've played recently?   Answer Question
    • What is your feeling regarding code style guidelines?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you proactively identified a problem and proposed a solution.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you reacted to a problem and provided a solution.   Answer Question
    • How much have you spent on a single mobile game? Was it over $100?   Answer Question
    • How much would you be willing to pay for a game you truly enjoy?   Answer Question
    • What did you enjoy most about your visit with us today?   Answer Question
    • What is the most challenging problem you've faced and were you successful in solving the problem?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Curse.com (Irvine, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and within a few days I was contacted through email to schedule a phone interview. They communicated the whole process and answered any questions I had. After my first phone interview, they wanted to schedule a second phone interview. The next step was an on-site interview, in which everything was laid out and they were genuinely excited for me to come in. I was greeted as soon as I walked in and toured the office. Met with the team and had interviews throughout the day and received an offer later that day. By far the best experience I've had interviewing with a company.

.NET Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Curse.com in September 2014.

Interview

I heard about the company through LinkedIn job suggestions. I applied through Linkedin and within few days the recruiter sent me an email for initial phone screening. Thinking about phone screening, I though this might a tech or semi tech interview. Although, there were some technical discussions, but it was not purely tech interview as will be evident from the details below.

I followed up on the email and scheduled myself for a Skype interview. It was just over a ten minute interview where the recruiter asked some open ended questions. Compared to my other interviews, this was little bit different as the recruiter left me to explain how I did something technical as opposed to ask me a Tech question which had specific tech answer, such as an algorithm question. I was asked over 5 questions and I will discuss two of them below.

The recruiter mentioned that they will be reviewing my Resume with hiring managers. Few days later, I got an email saying they will move forward with candidates having matching skillset. I would not take any blame on me as my situation caused the rejection and not the way I answered .

The job required speicific skillset and I was asked if I had experience using them before. In the event I did have the necessary experience, the recruiter would ask how I used it in any of my past projects. The particular skills are ASP .NET MVC, LINQ, MSSQL Server, C#. I was also asked if I had any side project, which I unfortunately did not. The odd question that was asked is my expected salary, which was bit of a shocker because in all my previous interviews, this question was asked at the last phase.

Interview Questions

• Do I have any experience in ASP .NET MVC   1 Answer
    • What is your salary expectation   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Curse.com (Huntsville, AL) in August 2018.

Interview

The interview process was amazing. Everything they did made me feel very welcome and like they genuinely wanted to work with me.

The process started when I filled out an application on their website. I was then contacted by one of their technical recruiters and we had a 15 minute phone conversation. We talked about my experience, the duties of this position, and Curse in general.

A couple days later, I was sent a skills test that I had a week to complete and send back to them. I was asked not to reveal specifics, but you can expect to build something with .NET MVC.

After completing the test, they reached out to set up a video interview. This involved speaking with the hiring manager and another software development manager. We talked briefly about my skills test (which they were happy with) and they asked me a series of "behavioral" type questions. See questions section for examples.

Within a few days, I was asked if I would be interested in coming down for an on-site interview. They covered my travel expenses and I was put in a very nice hotel downtown which was also very close to Curse HQ. Everyone I dealt with during this process (a couple different HR people) were really amazing and very helpful with getting everything scheduled.

My interview day was from 1 to 5. When I arrived, I was greeted with a goody bag that included some snacks and treats and a hand-written schedule for the day. I was given a brief tour and shown to a conference room where I spent the rest of the day. There were 5 sections of interviews with 2 people in each. Each section covered different topics - core values, tech depth, company culture, tech breadth, and a behavioral section. They really like their behavioral questions.

I received my offer about a week later and happily accepted. I cannot overstate how welcome everyone made me feel throughout the entire process. Everyone I communicated with was very helpful and responded quickly.

Interview Questions

• Why Curse?   Answer Question
    • What's the most challenging project that you've worked on?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you received feedback from someone. Describe a time when you had to give feedback to someone. How do you prefer to receive feedback?   Answer Question
    • They asked me a few questions about the SOLID principles of object-oriented programming.   Answer Question
    • There were also 2 whiteboard exercises for some algorithmic problems. They were more focused on my process and problem solving than getting an actual solution or writing actual code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Curse.com (Huntsville, AL) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn. A brief back and forth and an HR phone screen followed. I was given a code test. Design a roster with teams and stats in MVC with LINQ2SQL. Basic CRUD operations.

After submitting my code test, I was contacted about a week or so later for an onsite interview. I was flown out and put in a decent hotel. The interview process itself was from 10 until 3 with various team members including lunch with non-management and dinner with the hiring managers for both open positions.

I asked about the recurring theme on this site of "never really punching out" and was told that it's true. Curse is a publishing company and they need to be the first to market with any new patch information. This means if a patch goes out at 10:00 PM, you need to be logged in and working on it by 10:05.

I was fairly turned off by this and believe that's the main reason for the lack of an offer and all immediate feedback from the technical portions of the interview were positive. All of the technical questions were much easier than other interviews I've experienced.

The President of Media also dropped the F bomb during my interview. Not a big deal to me but might be off-putting to some.

Interview Questions

• Some basic technical questions. No trick questions here.
      There were also a plethora of behavioral questions. IE: Tell me about a time when you dropped the ball. Why Curse? Pick a complicated process and explain how to do it.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Curse.com (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, onsite interview, email exchange for rougly 4-5 weeks. I wasn't offered the position because I didn't have the right experience for the job but the recruiter was very candid and upfront with me and it was a very stress-free journey through the process.

Linux Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Curse.com (Irvine, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Spent 30-45 minutes explaining / answering questions to non technical person. ( Why did it take 30-45 minutes then? Good question..... Not only the worst interview of my life, complete and utter waste of my time. Going forward I'm going to be forced to require a technical only interview. Why would you send a non technical person to ask me 30-45 minutes of technical questions they don't understand, then relay them to a hiring manager who's "on vacation", then respond with some bland stuff? How do I know what this dude told the technical person.......Dealing with these companies who think they're too big to do real interviews is laughable. I had high hopes for curse, now I see the bullet was dodged.

Curse.com Response

Oct 27, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I'm sorry that your interview experience at Curse did not match our intention. I want to ensure you that we take interviewing... More

ASP.NET Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Curse.com in July 2017.

Interview

Very unprofessional. The interviewer unexpectedly rescheduled the conference call 10 mintues after it was supposed to have started, to two hours later. Instead of handling the conversation from home, where I was, I made my way to the office and resolved to skip lunch to make the last minute arrangement. When the call finally arrived, I received a rude statement that "it sounds like I am in a space ship" (due to conversating from inside my car) and finally stepped outside in the heat at the interviewer's insistance. When the "interview" finally started, I had to endure 20 minutes of the other person self embellishing his own role before he was willing to discuss the job at hand. Finally, when permitted to speak, questions like "describe this 'hole' in hour work history" (you mean the time I spent to get a degreee?) and "how much do you make now?" (is that truly your prerogative?) were asked. More time was spent talking about the acquisitions of the company than the role itself. Then there was a constant "I did not hear that! Please repeat?" (and I have the latest phone available, great service...was NOT my end!!) I once had a great deal of respect for this establishment-- I sadly must include that this is no longer the case. I would wait a few years until they get their act together before taking a position with them seriously.

Interview Questions

• How much money do you currently make?   1 Answer
    • How do you explain away not working during the two years that it took you to get your 2-year-degree?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your "biggest project"   Answer Question