Curse.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Hubert Thieblot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"growing and fun work environment"

I worked at Curse.com part-time

Pros

People are generally friendly and approachable. Fun work environment - everyone has a passion for games. Recently acquired by Twitch makes for an exciting future.

Cons

Communication unclear. Laid-back culture may be contributing to this.

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Curse.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Curse is great. I love working with a group of talented and focused people who all want to improve the social experience for gamers. Being part of Twitch and Amazon gives Curse even more reach too.

Cons

Shifting priorities sometimes make it difficult to plan and complete a project before needing to move to something else.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring passionate people who care about customers as they are the key to continued success!

"Poor Leadership = Terrible Experience"

I worked at Curse.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to talk about video games all day which is pretty awesome.

Cons

Very poor management and leadership. I felt micro-managed to the extreme. There were a lot of ridiculous processes and approvals that are unnecessary. Managers feel they need to be involved in everything but end up just slowing things down. Started at the company with promises of growth and then saw a massive restructuring/layoffs shortly after. Lack of sales materials makes it very hard to find the most up to date information. I thought this was my dream job but it was anything but and I stayed around way too long as a result.

Advice to Management

Take some management and leadership courses. Let your employees do their jobs and focus on doing yours to grow the company.

Curse.com Response

Aug 8, 2016 – Vice President of Sales, Curse

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm sorry that your experience at Curse did not match our intention: to be the very best place to work in the video games industry... More

"Love going to work"

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

Probably the best team I've been on during my professional career. Everybody is very talented and good at what they do. Passionate about the industry and genuinely fun people to be around. Management style is very transparent and drama free. Perfect environment to be making a game-changing product.

Cons

Like anywhere else, challenges happen, but everyone has the right attitude to work it out and come up with the best solution.

"Awesome Work Environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

I love the people I'm working with and I felt welcome instantly. Excited to be working with people this passionate about their job.

Cons

Far, but I'm relocating soon!

"Addicted to work"

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

I find myself actually excited to wake up in the morning to go to work. There's an epic break room always fully stocked with anything you can dream of. Free lunches, gym memberships, company outings.

Cons

I eat too much at spectrum center. Feels like missing out if you don't live at the neighboring Irvine Company.

Advice to Management

Reward those who work hard!

"Amazing place, amazing experience"

Current Employee - Sports Content Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Sports Content Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Curse.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Value talent over qualifications. They hire people that have proven they can do something over those that have a degree saying they learned how to do something.

Awesome work environment (depending on the location, I only worked at the Huntsville, AL site).

Great benefits.

Everyone loves their job and it shows. You get to create some really fun things. Also, those that are not passionate about their work tend to not last long. If you expect to only be working 9-5, you are mistaken. It is a competitive place, and everyone wants to make awesome stuff. This means late nights and working weekends.

Cons

You never really "punch out". Often times when I left for the day, I was expected to work from home in some capacity. I loved my work so this wasn't really an issue for me, but there will be days where you want to just relax once you get home but won't be able to. This is not your "9-5" your parents told you about.

Advice to Management

Communicate better. My time there, while incredible, did have moments of confusion. There were instances of management saying one thing and the execs saying another. There were also surprises, such as a deadline that wasn't communicated, that caused some late nights. Communication needs to be improved in order to avoid these things.

8. "Awesome benefits"

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

The company offers standard tech-company benefits like free lunches, gym expenses, and fun things like letting employees expense video games and fun conventions. Atmosphere is fun and morale is high, but employees are generally dedicated and passionate.

Cons

Your experience depend highly on your department or sector. Mine is great, but I have heard some unfavorable things from coworkers in other jobs under different management.

For devs and IT, the pay is on the lower side of average.

Advice to Management

Company-wide communication could use improvement

"Bad Management"

Pros

Some good people work there.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they are doing. Blind leading the blind.

"Challenging and dynamic, but needs direction"

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

New challenges everyday. Fun work environment. Growing fast. No micromanagement in my department. Fair salaries.

Cons

No mentorship or career path. A bit too political for such a small company. Fragmented focus. Inexperienced leadership.

Advice to Management

Need stronger management at the top with real experience from outside the company. Too many homegrown leaders making it up as they go...but it's getting better.

Curse.com Response

Aug 31, 2015

Thank you for the feedback! We are looking into new ways to provide development opportunities to our employees (including management), so we appreciate you sharing your thoughts on how we can improve... More