Curse.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Hubert Thieblot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Video Team Manager"

I worked at Curse.com full-time

Pros

- Never been happier to go to 'work' couldn't call it that really. The people are so lovely and supportive, I would be remiss if I didn't sing their praises.
    - The relaxed work culture & tight knit gaming community in the office is the stuff of dreams.
    - If you have the tenacity & the right attitude, this is a company that will reward you (financially & fulfillment wise)
    - There's room for advancement (if you choose) not just in your career path, but if you have an idea worth pursuing and show passion Curse will provide resources.

Cons

- Industry moves quickly. The most valuable asset in the company may turn out to be a liability 2 years later. Hard to set a firm course, at time.
    - New directions means new blood, outside talent may have existing employees looking to grow, overlooked. Can be frustrating when you want to build a long term career.

Advice to Management

I would say there could be better communication across the board. Or empower employees to be able to reach out of their 'bubble' as Curse is a fairly flat org. If you feel your direct manager isn't doing you justice, its hard to navigate those waters.

"Pretty much my dream job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Curse.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No place is perfect and you get out of it what you put into it. So far, I haven't been disappointed. I prefer working at a smaller company like Curse, so that was ideal before we got acquired.

+ Catered breakfast/lunch, unlimited drinks/snacks to help you power through the day
    + Team lunch every Fridays -- they tend to run long but you get to know people outside of your own team.
    + Irvine, CA is a great, sunny location and the new office building is rad -- they're considered "TwitchOC" now but Curse birthed TwitchOC so I still consider them to be Curse
    + People genuinely care about the core product; I've never run into any one who wasn't excited about what they're doing or working on and everyone is happy to share knowledge with you openly. Senior management aren't afraid to roll up their sleeves and help out the team.
    + Gaming culture -- I love being able to nerd out about a game without feeling like 'the nerd.'
    +/- Acquired by Twitch -- if you take a look at their Glassdoor reviews, they look pretty grim, and I hope we don't get swallowed up by their low morale.

Cons

+/- A part of Amazon -- with a larger company, comes more bureaucracy, and I hope that doesn't get in the way of getting things done.
    - The acquisition process into the Twitch mothership could've been a bit smoother. We're still working it out and it's been over a year. It may have been better if we were acquired by Amazon directly.
    - We've lost some of our "Curse" perks after having been acquired -- but we've gained that slick staff icon in Twitch chat.
    - I would advise working on site. If you're remote, it could be more difficult to keep you looped in. With that being said, you can still be successful but you need to put in the extra effort to make yourself heard.

Advice to Management

> Teach the team with what you know and how you come to decisions, so that you can empower the team to make their own decisions without you becoming the bottleneck.
    > Prevent the formation of silos -- as we're getting larger, this is more of a risk. Do something like encourage other teams outside of your own to 'show-and-tell' at a casual monthly all-hands (before the Twitch all hands).

"growing and fun work environment"

I worked at Curse.com part-time

Pros

People are generally friendly and approachable. Fun work environment - everyone has a passion for games. Recently acquired by Twitch makes for an exciting future.

Cons

Communication unclear. Laid-back culture may be contributing to this.

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Curse.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Curse is great. I love working with a group of talented and focused people who all want to improve the social experience for gamers. Being part of Twitch and Amazon gives Curse even more reach too.

Cons

Shifting priorities sometimes make it difficult to plan and complete a project before needing to move to something else.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring passionate people who care about customers as they are the key to continued success!

"Poor Leadership = Terrible Experience"

I worked at Curse.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to talk about video games all day which is pretty awesome.

Cons

Very poor management and leadership. I felt micro-managed to the extreme. There were a lot of ridiculous processes and approvals that are unnecessary. Managers feel they need to be involved in everything but end up just slowing things down. Started at the company with promises of growth and then saw a massive restructuring/layoffs shortly after. Lack of sales materials makes it very hard to find the most up to date information. I thought this was my dream job but it was anything but and I stayed around way too long as a result.

Advice to Management

Take some management and leadership courses. Let your employees do their jobs and focus on doing yours to grow the company.

Curse.com Response

Aug 8, 2016 – Vice President of Sales, Curse

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm sorry that your experience at Curse did not match our intention: to be the very best place to work in the video games industry... More

"Love going to work"

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

Probably the best team I've been on during my professional career. Everybody is very talented and good at what they do. Passionate about the industry and genuinely fun people to be around. Management style is very transparent and drama free. Perfect environment to be making a game-changing product.

Cons

Like anywhere else, challenges happen, but everyone has the right attitude to work it out and come up with the best solution.

"Awesome Work Environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

I love the people I'm working with and I felt welcome instantly. Excited to be working with people this passionate about their job.

Cons

Far, but I'm relocating soon!

"Addicted to work"

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

I find myself actually excited to wake up in the morning to go to work. There's an epic break room always fully stocked with anything you can dream of. Free lunches, gym memberships, company outings.

Cons

I eat too much at spectrum center. Feels like missing out if you don't live at the neighboring Irvine Company.

Advice to Management

Reward those who work hard!

"Amazing place, amazing experience"

Current Employee - Sports Content Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Sports Content Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Curse.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Value talent over qualifications. They hire people that have proven they can do something over those that have a degree saying they learned how to do something.

Awesome work environment (depending on the location, I only worked at the Huntsville, AL site).

Great benefits.

Everyone loves their job and it shows. You get to create some really fun things. Also, those that are not passionate about their work tend to not last long. If you expect to only be working 9-5, you are mistaken. It is a competitive place, and everyone wants to make awesome stuff. This means late nights and working weekends.

Cons

You never really "punch out". Often times when I left for the day, I was expected to work from home in some capacity. I loved my work so this wasn't really an issue for me, but there will be days where you want to just relax once you get home but won't be able to. This is not your "9-5" your parents told you about.

Advice to Management

Communicate better. My time there, while incredible, did have moments of confusion. There were instances of management saying one thing and the execs saying another. There were also surprises, such as a deadline that wasn't communicated, that caused some late nights. Communication needs to be improved in order to avoid these things.

10. "Awesome benefits"

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

The company offers standard tech-company benefits like free lunches, gym expenses, and fun things like letting employees expense video games and fun conventions. Atmosphere is fun and morale is high, but employees are generally dedicated and passionate.

Cons

Your experience depend highly on your department or sector. Mine is great, but I have heard some unfavorable things from coworkers in other jobs under different management.

For devs and IT, the pay is on the lower side of average.

Advice to Management

Company-wide communication could use improvement